inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Honey or maple syrup

Written By: Katluver on 06/24/13 at 3:41 pm

Subject: Re: Honey or maple syrup

Written By: Howard on 06/24/13 at 3:49 pm

I'm going to have to say maple syrup, love it on my waffles with a slab of butter.

Written By: nally on 06/24/13 at 4:10 pm

Depends on what it's on...toast or biscuit (in which case I'd opt for honey) or waffles or pancakes or french toast (in which case I'd opt for syrup).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/24/13 at 4:22 pm

It depends. I like honey in my tea when I am sick. And I sometimes put honey on apples. I also LOVE maple syrup on pancakes, French toast, etc. I am talking the REAL stuff here-not that fake stuff they try to pass off as maple syrup, you know, maple flavored corn syrup. And it HAS TO BE Grade B of course. My "chef" uses both in cooking and when he does, his blood sugar goes up.  :-\\  The problem with being a diabetic.

Cat

Written By: Tashlovglit on 06/24/13 at 5:05 pm

Maple.  I'm not a big fan of honey, except Honey Combs, but that's different  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/24/13 at 10:14 pm

Maple.  I'm not a big fan of honey, except Honey Combs, but that's different  :)

Maple, I Shrunk the Kids
???

Written By: Howard on 06/25/13 at 7:23 am

I don't mind having honey, I like it on cereal or on waffles.

Written By: warped on 06/25/13 at 11:59 am

Hard to chose. I like both. For this reason:

It depends. I like honey in my tea when I am sick.

And this

I also LOVE maple syrup on pancakes, French toast, etc. I am talking the REAL stuff here-not that fake stuff they try to pass off as maple syrup, you know, maple flavored corn syrup.

Written By: Katluver on 06/25/13 at 1:46 pm

It depends. I like honey in my tea when I am sick. And I sometimes put honey on apples. I also LOVE maple syrup on pancakes, French toast, etc. I am talking the REAL stuff here-not that fake stuff they try to pass off as maple syrup, you know, maple flavored corn syrup. And it HAS TO BE Grade B of course. My "chef" uses both in cooking and when he does, his blood sugar goes up.  :-\\  The problem with being a diabetic.

Cat

I chose maple syrup (and you should try it with oatmeal, btw). And like you, it has to be real. But what is Grade B?

Written By: Howard on 06/25/13 at 2:26 pm

I chose maple syrup (and you should try it with oatmeal, btw). And like you, it has to be real. But what is Grade B?

I love oatmeal with maple syrup.

Written By: Step-chan on 06/26/13 at 3:25 pm

I prefer honey.

Written By: danootaandme on 06/28/13 at 3:40 am

Got some maple syrup for my birthday.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/28/13 at 3:57 am

Honey

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/28/13 at 3:57 am

Honey
Bobby Goldsboro?

Written By: Howard on 06/28/13 at 3:45 pm

Got some maple syrup for my birthday.  :)

Did you use it for your waffles?

Written By: danootaandme on 06/28/13 at 4:57 pm

Did you use it for your waffles?

Made gluten free pancakes, much lighter than the other.  Rhubarb, banana, and plain old plain.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/12/13 at 7:03 pm

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you on this.

Yes, I have had maple syrup on oatmeal. I also have had maple syrup on vanilla ice cream.

Maple syrup comes in grades-and it has nothing to do with the quality. That is what throws people off. They think that Grade A is the best but Grade B has a more maple flavor to it.

You can see the difference:

http://www.bens-maple-syrup.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/grades-of-maple-syrup1.jpg

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/12/13 at 7:15 pm

Yes, I have had maple syrup on oatmeal. I also have had maple syrup on vanilla ice cream.

Maple syrup comes in grades-and it has nothing to do with the quality. That is what throws people off. They think that Grade A is the best but Grade B has a more maple flavor to it.

http://www.bens-maple-syrup.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/grades-of-maple-syrup1.jpg

Cat

Industrial grade

http://www.puremapleusa.com/Images/fake_syrups_front.jpg

Written By: Howard on 07/13/13 at 7:42 am

Industrial grade

Those have calories.

Written By: ninny on 07/13/13 at 9:10 am

I like both, but honey is too expensive and I have to stock up when I go to KFC ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/13/13 at 10:35 am

I like both, but honey is too expensive and I have to stock up when I go to KFC ;D

Oooh, good idea!  Gotta write that one down!
:)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/13/13 at 3:26 pm

Industrial grade

8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P

Maple flavored corn syrup.  8-P 8-P 8-P 8-P

Those have calories.

ALL syrup has calories, Howard-whether it is made from corn or maple.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/13/13 at 4:53 pm

to put honey on your chicken?

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/14/13 at 10:57 am

Both, depending on the foods involved.  Honey is great for sweet and sour dishes, maple is terrific on pork and chicken, and on ice cream. 

Written By: Howard on 07/14/13 at 4:20 pm

Both, depending on the foods involved.  Honey is great for sweet and sour dishes, maple is terrific on pork and chicken, and on ice cream.

honey is also good on corn flakes too.

Written By: Katluver on 07/15/13 at 10:45 pm

Cat

Thanks for that cool illustration, Cat!

I just checked my bottle of syrup, but it doesn't mention the grade anywhere. Just states that it's Canada No.1 Medium. So I'm thinking it's Grade A Medium Amber, but it looks more like it's between Dark Amber and Grade B. Guess I'll check it out on Google...

Written By: Katluver on 07/15/13 at 10:52 pm

Funny how you mention honey being too expensive. I'm a bit of a snob so I tend to only buy the real maple syrup, which is really expensive over here---you're looking at double digits sometimes. But honey is available in small bottles and is usually a little cheaper than the syrup. Plus I find it takes a long time to go through a bottle of honey.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/16/13 at 11:07 am

Thanks for that cool illustration, Cat!

I just checked my bottle of syrup, but it doesn't mention the grade anywhere. Just states that it's Canada No.1 Medium. So I'm thinking it's Grade A Medium Amber, but it looks more like it's between Dark Amber and Grade B. Guess I'll check it out on Google...

Canada may grade its syrup differently than we do in the States. I really don't know.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...