inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Crockpots, anyone?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/06/14 at 1:24 am

Since I moved in with my brother about 6 months ago I've been using my slow cooker a lot more. At least once or twice a week we make stews and pot roasts and all kinds of other good stuff, and so far everything has came out great.

Would anyone here like to share some of their recipes?  :)

Subject: Re: Crockpots, anyone?

Written By: karen on 05/06/14 at 11:09 am

I was supposed to cook pulled pork today but forgot to put it in the slow cooker this morning. So tomorrow I will put a pork joint in the slow cooker and cover it with about three quarters of a bottle of barbecue sauce, put the lid on and cook it on low for eight hours or so.

When its nearly time to eat I lift the pork out the pot and put it in a big bowl.  Remove any layer of fat and use forks to shred the meat.  Add some cooking juices to moisten it, but it shouldn't get too sloppy.  Serve in bread rolls with the remaining sauce from the morning and coleslaw/salad on the side.

Written By: Step-chan on 05/06/14 at 1:42 pm

I have one, although I very rarely use it myself.

When I do nowadays, it's for making sweet potatoes during the holidays.

Just the general sweet potatoes, brown sugar, butter/margarine, cinnamon and vanilla extract sort of recipe. I also obviously add water to it after putting everything in.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/06/14 at 10:26 pm

What I love about the things is that you can turn the cheapest, gristliest, toughest meat you can find - chuck, shoulder, the kind of bottom-shelf stuff that's typically relegated to stewing meat - into something rich and awesome if you're just willing to wait a while.

Chop up carrots/celery/onions, add some red wine, you can make everything from a lentil ragout to something as fancy-sounding as beef burgundy.  Traditional salt/sugar/spice mixes and minimal liquids added, you get pulled pork.  Use a big pile of hot peppers and pour in a couple of bottles of beer, you've got chili.  Use spaghetti sauce and you've got a traditional Italian gravy/ragu.  Got some cheap sheep?  Lamb shanks with mint and garlic and rosemary.  Same technique, so many options. 

Written By: Jessica on 05/07/14 at 12:43 pm

It does involve some prep, but it is so worth it, especially if you make the gravy.

http://crepesofwrath.net/2010/03/19/crock-pot-chicken-with-40-cloves-of-garlic/

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/09/14 at 11:02 pm

What I love about the things is that you can turn the cheapest, gristliest, toughest meat you can find - chuck, shoulder, the kind of bottom-shelf stuff that's typically relegated to stewing meat - into something rich and awesome if you're just willing to wait a while.

Chop up carrots/celery/onions, add some red wine, you can make everything from a lentil ragout to something as fancy-sounding as beef burgundy.  Traditional salt/sugar/spice mixes and minimal liquids added, you get pulled pork.  Use a big pile of hot peppers and pour in a couple of bottles of beer, you've got chili.  Use spaghetti sauce and you've got a traditional Italian gravy/ragu.  Got some cheap sheep?  Lamb shanks with mint and garlic and rosemary.  Same technique, so many options.

Sounds real nice for cheap eats!
:)

Actually, I thought he said, "Crackpots, anyone?"  Got a few over on the politics board!

Written By: danootaandme on 05/12/14 at 2:59 am

I like to throw in a couple of chicken breast and a can of cream of celery or cream of chicken soup, don't add water.  The water and juice from the breast are all you need. When the breast are cooked through take them out and shred them with a fork, return to pot, add some frozen mixed veggies and you have chicken stew, or put on a crust, bake and have pot pie.

Written By: Lindee on 05/14/14 at 12:47 pm

My mom made sloppy joes and beef stew in a crock pot.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/23/14 at 10:45 pm

My mom uses the crock pot all the time. Awesome things are made in it.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/27/14 at 6:38 am

I buy cooked rotisserie chicken cut it up and freeze the different parts. I pop whatever part I may want for lunch into the pot, tin foil and all. By lunch it is perfect.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/27/14 at 3:30 pm

BTW....if you put you chicken in the crockpot and forget it it ends up way to dry.  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...