inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The most boring meal you can possibly think of (that you have eaten)?

Written By: Visor765 on 09/21/14 at 4:19 pm

Grilled chicken, caesar salad, and water. Who wants to eat that?

Subject: Re: The most boring meal you can possibly think of (that you have eaten)?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/21/14 at 4:23 pm

Toast with jam and a cup of coffee.

(At a hotel in England)

Subject: Re: The most boring meal you can possibly think of (that you have eaten)?

Written By: Bobby on 09/21/14 at 6:11 pm

Just toast with butter. I kind of like it.

My grandad used to like eating boring stuff like bread and dripping, salt with his watered porridge and he even ate just celery once as a meal. I think that was more to do with laziness than anything else though.

Written By: nally on 09/21/14 at 6:26 pm

A frozen fish dinner (cooked in the microwave) that we ate about 15 years ago. As I recall, it didn't taste very good (although the product's expiration date was still several months away). But we didn't have anything in the house to cook for dinner that night, so we settled for that. :-\\

Written By: Bobby on 09/21/14 at 6:44 pm

A frozen fish dinner (cooked in the microwave) that we ate about 15 years ago. As I recall, it didn't taste very good (although the product's expiration date was still several months away). But we didn't have anything in the house to cook for dinner that night, so we settled for that. :-\\

It must have been memorable, Jeff. you still remembered the meal after 15 years.  ;) ;D

About 20 years ago I stayed with my mom for a week and had spaghetti and eggs. They were the only things she had in the cupboard/fridge. What a rotten week that was, lol.

Written By: nally on 09/21/14 at 6:53 pm

It must have been memorable, Jeff. you still remembered the meal after 15 years.  ;) ;D

Yep, things like that tend to stick in my mind. My mom had bought the meal at a grocery store earlier in the week. But I don't remember the brand name. (If I did, then I would know never to buy it again.)

About 20 years ago I stayed with my mom for a week and had spaghetti and eggs. They were the only things she had in the cupboard/fridge. What a rotten week that was, lol.

Sorry you had to deal with that :-\\

Written By: Bobby on 09/21/14 at 7:04 pm

Yep, things like that tend to stick in my mind. My mom had bought the meal at a grocery store earlier in the week. But I don't remember the brand name. (If I did, then I would know never to buy it again.)

I do understand. My dad used to buy from a UK store that has since gone out of business called Kwik Save. It was one of the first stores to do cheap and cheerful branded merchandise and it was labelled 'No Frills' (so called because it had no fancy packaging) and it was notorious for it's lack of quality.

The washing liquid was just coloured water, you could make buildings out of the cereal wheat biscuits and you could see through the bread (which was only really good enough for making toast). The cornflakes also had a horrible aftertaste to them as well.

Sorry you had to deal with that :-\\

Ah sadly one of those things, Jeff. It's made me appreciate the good things in life so something positive came out of it.

Written By: gibbo on 09/21/14 at 7:09 pm

Went to Italy recently and was surprised that some of the food was so bland. 

I had an entree that was a full large palate of pasta that basically had a hint of garlic ... no sauce ... nothing else. I could barely taste the garlic  ...  :o

Additionally, I think it was from a packet!  I had tries freshly made pasta the day before and it was delicious (but there was sauce involved).

Written By: Bobby on 09/21/14 at 7:36 pm

Went to Italy recently and was surprised that some of the food was so bland. 

I had an entree that was a full large palate of pasta that basically had a hint of garlic ... no sauce ... nothing else. I could barely taste the garlic  ...  :o

Additionally, I think it was from a packet!  I had tries freshly made pasta the day before and it was delicious (but there was sauce involved).

That does seem boring, Gibbo. In contrast, from the country well renowned for it's dubious cooking ability I went to the Pasta and Pizza Bar with my sister the other day and I had a lovely Cajun pasta and followed it up with cherry pie.

A little like your dried pasta experience, my West Indian step-mom at the time often served us rice and chicken with no gravy, sauce or any moisture in sight. I wonder why I was skinnier in those days...

Written By: gibbo on 09/21/14 at 8:14 pm

That does seem boring, Gibbo. In contrast, from the country well renowned for it's dubious cooking ability I went to the Pasta and Pizza Bar with my sister the other day and I had a lovely Cajun pasta and followed it up with cherry pie.

A little like your dried pasta experience, my West Indian step-mom at the time often served us rice and chicken with no gravy, sauce or any moisture in sight. I wonder why I was skinnier in those days...

I can still smell the beautiful English breafasts we had up in the Lake Dictrict (Ambleside ... near Lake Windemere).  :)  I love a good breakfast...

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/21/14 at 10:08 pm

A big piece of pork stuffed with cheese, and was completely tasteless and hard to cut. Vegetables were the side. I never went back to that diner.

Written By: Howard on 09/22/14 at 2:18 pm

How'd that taste?

Written By: Howard on 09/22/14 at 2:19 pm

peanut butter and jelly with a cup of coffee

Written By: valleyroads on 10/16/14 at 4:24 am

Hamburger patties, patties of canned salmon or mackerel, or cubed steak with no seasonings but salt & pepper and fried in margarine, white rice with the same seasonings, steamed vegetables, 2% milk, almost every day for 18 years. Not a huge fan of holiday food either so that wasn't much of an escaope

Written By: popguru85 on 10/23/14 at 7:24 pm

I've always found Irish Stew pretty bland.

Written By: Lindee on 11/14/14 at 12:05 pm

Growing up Catholic my mother took the NO fish on Fridays (not just Lent, but year round) way too seriously.

Every Friday we had fish and Kraft mac 'n cheese or fish and (meatless) spaghetti. Boring.  8-P

Written By: Katluver on 12/09/14 at 1:54 pm

Oatmeal with nothing but cinnamon and a little bit of brown sugar.

Written By: Katluver on 12/09/14 at 1:54 pm

And with a glass of water.

Check for new replies or respond here...