inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Birthday Food

Written By: Ripley on 02/18/16 at 7:54 am

What food do you eat for dinner or lunch on your's or your family's birthday?  What about dessert? Do you stay in or go out?  I'm looking for some exciting ideas for my upcoming birthday!

Subject: Re: Birthday Food

Written By: violet_shy on 02/19/16 at 12:15 pm

We go to a nice restaurant, then have a cake after with gifts.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/19/16 at 12:17 pm

Eat out at a good restaurant, see a show or a film, then home for the cake and candles.

Written By: violet_shy on 02/19/16 at 12:18 pm

I mean, we don't EAT the gifts lol we open them after we have the cake.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/19/16 at 12:20 pm

Eat out at a good restaurant, see a show or a film, then home for the cake and candles.
The gifts arrive at various times of the day.

Written By: nally on 02/19/16 at 1:20 pm

Often times on my birthday, I like to eat Italian food, since that's my favorite... whether it means going to an Italian eatery, or my mom cooking an Italian dish (such as stuffed shells... which might be the case this year, since my b'day falls on a Monday). Sometimes we'll go out for a different type of food, one that I know I'll enjoy. This is often the case for lunch OR dinner.

Also, I often have a chocolate birthday cake, which my mom usually makes... but in some years I've requested a different kind. But chocolate is my favorite. :)

Written By: Howard on 02/19/16 at 3:39 pm

We go to my favorite restaurant, then we all come home and eat ice cream cake with coffee.  :)

Written By: violet_shy on 02/19/16 at 5:33 pm

We go to my favorite restaurant, then we all come home and eat ice cream cake with coffee.  :)

You have to have coffee with everything don't ya Howard  :)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/19/16 at 5:50 pm

Home made pizza followed by a home made NYS, New York Style, cheese cake

Written By: Ripley on 02/19/16 at 10:37 pm

Home made pizza followed by a home made NYS, New York Style, cheese cake

All of this sounds is delicious!  Homemade pizza is the best!

Written By: Ripley on 02/19/16 at 10:38 pm

Ice cream cake is good but its usually too sweet for me.  But what kind is it? Chocolate cream? Oreo?

Written By: Ripley on 02/19/16 at 10:40 pm

Often times on my birthday, I like to eat Italian food, since that's my favorite... whether it means going to an Italian eatery, or my mom cooking an Italian dish (such as stuffed shells... which might be the case this year, since my b'day falls on a Monday). Sometimes we'll go out for a different type of food, one that I know I'll enjoy. This is often the case for lunch OR dinner.

Also, I often have a chocolate birthday cake, which my mom usually makes... but in some years I've requested a different kind. But chocolate is my favorite. :)

Delizioso!  Italian is my favorite as well. 

Written By: Ripley on 02/19/16 at 10:41 pm

We go to a nice restaurant, then have a cake after with gifts.  :)

What kind of cake do you like best?

Written By: Ripley on 02/19/16 at 10:41 pm

I for several years went to a film on my birthday :)

Written By: nally on 02/19/16 at 11:35 pm

Delizioso!  Italian is my favorite as well. 

Thanks. ;)  It has been my favorite for as long as I can remember. My mom is half Italian; she learned how to cook good Italian food from her Italian mother. She likes to have Italian food on her birthday too (or sometimes comfort food of any kind).

Written By: Howard on 02/20/16 at 8:05 am

You have to have coffee with everything don't ya Howard  :)

I know, coffee always go with desserts.

Written By: Howard on 02/20/16 at 8:07 am

Ice cream cake is good but its usually too sweet for me.  But what kind is it? Chocolate cream? Oreo?

My Mother usually buys it at a bakery, I think the cake is Chocolate Ice Cream.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/23/16 at 12:15 pm

Oh yes, there must be ice cream!

Written By: Howard on 02/23/16 at 3:07 pm

Oh yes, there must be ice cream!

I have it sometimes on the side to go along with my cake.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/23/16 at 3:13 pm

I have it sometimes on the side to go along with my cake.
The two compliment each other.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/23/16 at 6:42 pm

I usually buy myself a steak. I'm not big on parties or anything. LOL.

Written By: Ripley on 02/23/16 at 6:57 pm

I hate parties lol

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/16 at 7:15 am

I hate parties lol
Parties can get noisy!

Written By: Ripley on 02/24/16 at 7:55 am

Parties can get noisy!

Yeah. And crammed.  I don't like a lot of people close to me.  A small family party, a barbq perhaps, is nice. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/16 at 7:57 am

Yeah. And crammed.  I don't like a lot of people close to me.  A small family party, a barbq perhaps, is nice. 
A party that stretches out into the garden?

Written By: Ripley on 02/24/16 at 7:58 am

A party that stretches out into the garden?

With only maybe 10 people.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/16 at 7:59 am

With only maybe 10 people.
...and no children running around.

Written By: Ripley on 02/24/16 at 8:06 am

...and no children running around.

Except my neice.  Most kids in my family are wild.  It drives my grandpa up the wall.  The open and close the door, can't decide if they want to be in or go out.  "Let the air out" as he say's.

Written By: nally on 02/24/16 at 2:34 pm

A small family party, a barbq perhaps, is nice.

Oh yes; sometimes we've done that sorta thing for my dad's birthday, given that it's in April.

Written By: Howard on 02/24/16 at 3:39 pm

Why just a steak?

Written By: Howard on 02/24/16 at 3:40 pm

Parties can get noisy!

That happens.

Written By: Howard on 02/24/16 at 3:40 pm

that would suffice for me.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/24/16 at 3:43 pm

Cake is a must!  >:(

https://writingfromfaith.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/034.jpg

Written By: 80sfan on 02/24/16 at 3:52 pm

http://www.east-texas-dining.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/the-shed-edom-chicken-fried-steak.jpg

Mashed potatoes and gravy is one of my faves.

Written By: Howard on 02/24/16 at 4:24 pm

Oh Yes!

Written By: nally on 02/24/16 at 4:50 pm

Totally! :D

Written By: Ripley on 02/24/16 at 8:08 pm

I want this!  Sonic rocks!

Written By: 80sfan on 02/24/16 at 9:15 pm

Oh Yes!

Cut you a piece!

Written By: 80sfan on 02/24/16 at 9:15 pm

Totally! :D

My birthday is in November.  :)

Written By: 80sfan on 02/24/16 at 9:17 pm

I want this!  Sonic rocks!

Happy early birthday wish.

Written By: Ripley on 02/24/16 at 11:00 pm

Happy early birthday wish.

Thank you!

Written By: Howard on 02/25/16 at 4:17 pm

My birthday is in November.  :)

mine is in March. :)

Written By: Ripley on 02/26/16 at 1:36 pm

mine is in March. :)

A few more days!

Written By: Howard on 02/26/16 at 3:02 pm

A few more days!

next Saturday.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/08/16 at 1:52 pm

next Saturday.
What food did you have?

Written By: Ripley on 03/08/16 at 1:58 pm

I've decided on bacon cheeseburgers and fries topped with chedder cheese & bacon.  As for dessert, I'm not for sure but there is a peanut butter ice cream cake with Reese's pieces I want to try.

Written By: Howard on 03/08/16 at 3:26 pm

What food did you have?

for the appetizer we had stuffed clams with butter garlic sauce and the main course I had The Penne A La Vodka.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/08/16 at 3:27 pm

for the appetizer we had stuffed clams with butter garlic sauce and the main course I had The Penne A La Vodka.
O0

Written By: Ripley on 03/11/16 at 9:16 am

http://www.friendlys.com/~/media/friendlys/packaged-ice-cream/ice-cream-cakes/product/00362cf-reeses-pb_1136x800.ashx?mw=530

Here is my cake! It was about $20 and it will be gone in no time!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/11/16 at 9:23 am

http://www.friendlys.com/~/media/friendlys/packaged-ice-cream/ice-cream-cakes/product/00362cf-reeses-pb_1136x800.ashx?mw=530

Here is my cake! It was about $20 and it will be gone in no time!
O0

Written By: Ripley on 03/11/16 at 9:25 am

O0

Want a slice?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/11/16 at 9:34 am

Want a slice?
If possible?

Written By: Ripley on 03/11/16 at 12:42 pm

If possible?

I'll have it there in one hour tops ;)

Written By: Howard on 03/11/16 at 3:58 pm

Want a slice?

I'd love a slice.  :)

Written By: Howard on 03/11/16 at 3:58 pm

I'll have it there in one hour tops ;)

Do you deliver?

Written By: Ripley on 03/11/16 at 5:10 pm

Do you deliver?

Yes I do! I will see you in a few.

Written By: Howard on 03/12/16 at 7:30 am

Yes I do! I will see you in a few.

30 minutes or less.

Written By: Ripley on 03/12/16 at 6:21 pm

30 minutes or less.

For sure.

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/14/16 at 7:50 am

I like going to restaurants for mine. The past couple years in a row it's been Outback Steakhouse because I never ordinarily get to eat there.

Written By: Howard on 03/14/16 at 3:43 pm

I like going to restaurants for mine. The past couple years in a row it's been Outback Steakhouse because I never ordinarily get to eat there.

I love Outback Steakhouse.

Written By: Ripley on 03/14/16 at 8:09 pm

I like to go out to eat occasionally but on my birthday I make sure there is no singing to me. That's so embaressing in public lol

I love Outback Steakhouse.

As do I!

Written By: Howard on 03/15/16 at 3:18 pm

I like to go out to eat occasionally but on my birthday I make sure there is no singing to me. That's so embaressing in public lol
As do I!

I know the feeling when they bring you a small birthday cake and they sing you "Happy Birthday" in front of you, While your parents tell you to blow out the candles.  ::)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 03/21/16 at 11:35 pm

since it was a "milestone" birthday for me, we had a party with Chinese and Hawaiian food and it was wonderful.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/badfingermike/birthday%20food_zpsiz6i3u8t.jpg

Written By: Howard on 03/22/16 at 3:22 pm

since it was a "milestone" birthday for me, we had a party with Chinese and Hawaiian food and it was wonderful.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c235/badfingermike/birthday%20food_zpsiz6i3u8t.jpg

That looks delicious. :)

Written By: nally on 03/23/16 at 11:52 am

That looks delicious. :)

sure does. O0

Written By: nally on 07/11/20 at 12:01 am

This year I won't be able to eat out at any restaurant for my birthday due to the ongoing virus thingy, but that's okay because my mom plans to cook an Italian meal for me.

Since I last visited this thread, we did find one restaurant that we like to visit for special occasions, particularly when one of us has a birthday. It serves steak and seafood, but of the entrees it offers, my favorite is the halibut. And I have ordered said meal on my birthday for dinner each of the last two years.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/11/20 at 2:26 am

I'm hopeful that I'll be able to go to a restaurant in Bowmanville called Frosty Johns.  I don't know if anybody has been there before but it sounds like it's fun.
Last year for my birthday I went to a place called Nookie's Soul Kitchen in Port Hope and the food was pretty good.  :)

Written By: violet_shy on 07/11/20 at 12:31 pm

This year I won't be able to eat out at any restaurant for my birthday due to the ongoing virus thingy, but that's okay because my mom plans to cook an Italian meal for me.

Since I last visited this thread, we did find one restaurant that we like to visit for special occasions, particularly when one of us has a birthday. It serves steak and seafood, but of the entrees it offers, my favorite is the halibut. And I have ordered said meal on my birthday for dinner each of the last two years.

I enjoy making Italian meals! If you visit me on your birthday next year, I can make you stuffed manicotti! It's a dish I've made many times before. It's super good Italian comfort food.

Written By: nally on 07/11/20 at 12:47 pm

I enjoy making Italian meals! If you visit me on your birthday next year, I can make you stuffed manicotti! It's a dish I've made many times before. It's super good Italian comfort food.

I have had stuffed manicotti on occasion. And I liked it very much!

Not sure if I'll be able to travel next year, but maybe another time. I would love to, though! (Likewise, hopefully you'll get to visit me someday.) :)

Written By: nally on 07/11/20 at 12:50 pm

I do know that we'll be having Italian sandwiches for lunch today; we've placed an order at a nearby eatery and one of us will have to go get it.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/11/20 at 3:51 pm

I have had stuffed manicotti on occasion. And I liked it very much!

Yes, but the way I make it is super tasty and filling. I use beef, different cheeses, and good tomato sauce!

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/11/20 at 11:02 pm

Yes, but the way I make it is super tasty and filling. I use beef, different cheeses, and good tomato sauce!

My mom used to make that (minus the beef) and it was very good. My birthday is in 2 weeks. Not sure what I want but at least I don’t have to work. Maybe some ice cream and creme horns.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/12/20 at 12:42 am

My mom used to make that (minus the beef) and it was very good. My birthday is in 2 weeks. Not sure what I want but at least I don’t have to work. Maybe some ice cream and creme horns.

There must be something good to eat that you want on your birthday.

I know the feeling when they bring you a small birthday cake and they sing you "Happy Birthday" in front of you, While your parents tell you to blow out the candles.  ::)

This made me laugh! Thay never sung me a happy birthday at a restaurant thankfully! But actually, I think it's kinda nice...when I think about it I mean.

Written By: Howard on 07/12/20 at 2:52 pm

How do you prepare the manicotti?  :)

Written By: Howard on 07/12/20 at 2:53 pm

There must be something good to eat that you want on your birthday.

This made me laugh! Thay never sung me a happy birthday at a restaurant thankfully! But actually, I think it's kinda nice...when I think about it I mean.

When I was growing up, My Mother used to do that to me.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/13/20 at 3:13 am

In days gone past, add champagne to drink when home for the cake and candles.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/13/20 at 5:09 am

I have never had it sung to me on my birthday, but have seen and head it done to other customers at the restaurant I was eating at.

At my 21st birthday celebration at a meat in an Italian restaurant, during the course of the meal we had two bottles of wine, and when it came to paying the bill, there was only one wine bottle listed, it was the restaurant's way of saying happy birthday to me.

Written By: violet_shy on 07/13/20 at 1:09 pm

How do you prepare the manicotti?  :)

I use lean beef, various cheeses and a good, thick tomato sauce.

While I'm cooking the pasta(manicotti), I make the beef. I add olive oil, onion and cook them together. I add condiments like salt, garlic, parsley, oregano. Add them to the beef and onion, and then set it aside. By then the manicotti is done cooking so I take them out of the boiling water and set them aside. Then I prepare the cheeses. When the beef has cooled a bit, I add some cheeses to the beef: ricotta, parmesan, romano. Mix them into the beef and onion. Then it's time to stuff the manicotti. Spread some good tomato sauce on the bottom of the cooking tray first. And then stuff each of the manicotti with the beef and cheese. As you stuff them you place them neatly on the cooking tray. After you place them all, you pour the tomato sauce over the manicotti. And finish by spreading some mozzerella cheese over them. Then you put the tray in the oven at 350 and allow the cheese to get warm, and the manicotti also. And then that's it! You eat it.

When I was growing up, My Mother used to do that to me.

Well when your a kid it's fine.

I have never had it sung to me on my birthday, but have seen and head it done to other customers at the restaurant I was eating at.

At my 21st birthday celebration at a meat in an Italian restaurant, during the course of the meal we had two bottles of wine, and when it came to paying the bill, there was only one wine bottle listed, it was the restaurant's way of saying happy birthday to me.

Oh no  ;D Did you pay for both of the wine bottles?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/13/20 at 1:18 pm

Oh no  ;D Did you pay for both of the wine bottles?
Only one bottle was paid for, we inquired and happy birthday was said...

btw, the restaurant has been long closed now.

Written By: Howard on 07/13/20 at 3:03 pm

In days gone past, add champagne to drink when home for the cake and candles.

We drink either milk or coffee.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/13/20 at 3:13 pm

We drink either milk or coffee.
Those drinks would be after the celebrations.

Written By: nally on 07/23/20 at 4:24 pm

Thay never sung me a happy birthday at a restaurant thankfully! But actually, I think it's kinda nice...when I think about it I mean.

I have witnessed several instances of that too. When I have gone to a restaurant for my birthday, sometimes the waiters will sing it to me, but in a special way (sometimes with a different melody, sometimes in a different language such as Italian).

Only one bottle was paid for, we inquired and happy birthday was said...

btw, the restaurant has been long closed now.

So that's good; no one had to pay for it. :)

Written By: Howard on 07/24/20 at 8:03 am

I have witnessed several instances of that too. When I have gone to a restaurant for my birthday, sometimes the waiters will sing it to me, but in a special way (sometimes with a different melody, sometimes in a different language such as Italian).

So that's good; no one had to pay for it. :)

As I gotten older When it came to my birthday I decided not to have anyone sing me a "Happy Birthday".

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/26/20 at 2:51 am

For my actual birthday which falls on Labor Day this year I'm just going to make barbecued chicken wings with my own homemade barbecue sauce made with ketchup, brown sugar, dijon mustard, Worcester sauce and one nice fat garlic clove crushed in a garlic press.  And for dessert I'm just going to have leftover lightening cake and fresh berries maserated real Italian sweet marsalla wine if I can find it and a little bit of sugar.

As I gotten older When it came to my birthday I decided not to have anyone sing me a "Happy Birthday".

Why is that Howard?

Written By: Howard on 07/26/20 at 4:26 am

For my actual birthday which falls on Labor Day this year I'm just going to make barbecued chicken wings with my own homemade barbecue sauce made with ketchup, brown sugar, dijon mustard, Worcester sauce and one nice fat garlic clove crushed in a garlic press.  And for dessert I'm just going to have leftover lightening cake and fresh berries maserated real Italian sweet marsalla wine if I can find it and a little bit of sugar.

Why is that Howard?

I just want a simple birthday but without people singing me a song in front of me, that's just how I feel.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/26/20 at 10:33 am

I just want a simple birthday but without people singing me a song in front of me, that's just how I feel.
Can "For He's A Jolly Good Fellow" suffice?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/26/20 at 3:35 pm

Hail, hail the gang's all here
what the hell do we know?
WHAT THE HELL DO WE KNOW?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/20 at 1:59 am

I still want my birthday cake!

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/27/20 at 11:25 am

For my birthday cake I chose cheesecake.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/20 at 1:45 pm

For my birthday cake I chose cheesecake.
Both cakes are delicious.

Written By: Howard on 07/27/20 at 3:07 pm

Can "For He's A Jolly Good Fellow" suffice?

I guess.

Written By: Howard on 07/27/20 at 3:08 pm

ice cream or buttercream?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/20 at 3:41 pm

ice cream or buttercream?
Just Birthday Cake

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/27/20 at 3:52 pm

LOBSTA!!!!

https://live.staticflickr.com/4107/5008459626_e8d3466d37_b.jpg

If I'm lucky, there will be clams with it.

Cat

Written By: karen on 07/29/20 at 12:24 pm

Can you still buy Vienetta ice cream? This was something we would have for dessert on our birthday.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/29/20 at 12:41 pm

Can you still buy Vienetta ice cream? This was something we would have for dessert on our birthday.
Yes indeed, Asda, Iceland, and Tesco.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/30/20 at 9:43 am

I remembered seeing Vienetta in Iceland before lockdown and shielding started, and my info was done by checking the supermarkets online.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/30/20 at 11:12 pm

I've been trying to find whole chicken wings for less than $12 a package.  I love chicken wings but the best part about eating chicken wings is saucing them up and then getting the sauce around your mouth and in between your fingers.  I see no sense in taking a knife and fork to a chicken wing when you worked so hard to put barbecue sauce that you made from scratch.
I've been learning how to save money by buying whole chicken wings and splitting them up myself.  That way you don't waste money buying wings that are already split up.  Why pay on average $12 for chicken wings that are already split up when you can buy them cheaply and split them up yourself?

Check for new replies or respond here...