inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Chayote

Written By: Howard on 05/30/17 at 1:20 pm

https://godshealingplants.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/chayote-9.jpg

For those who don't know, this here is a photo of a Chayote, it's a Mexican squash that belongs in the family of melons and cucumbers, I bought one last week and I ate it raw which they say you can eat it plain and by tasting it, it's quite crunchy but it needs a little sweetness or a bit of salt and pepper. Has anyone bought one of these before, ate it raw or prepared it for a salad and or a regular food dish?  ???

Subject: Re: Chayote

Written By: violet_shy on 05/30/17 at 3:20 pm

You can't eat it raw Howard, you have to cut it into pieces and then boil the pieces in water. It is actually salty tasting. It's good with Cod. Here's one Cod and Chayote recipe my mom use to make, and that I think you should try to make if you like Chayote:

Serving for one person:

Boil about two packages of frozen Cod in water to unsalt, or make it less salty. When you taste the Cod and it is less salty but just enough to make it taste good, remove it from the boiling water into a bowl. At this point you have to separate the Cod meat with a fork. Not into small pieces, just make them bite sized pieces. Boil the Chayote until it is almost very soft. After the Chayote is boiled, cook Onion, and  roasted red peppers(the ones that come in a jar already cooked.) in a skillet. Add garlic and condiments. After the onion is cooked, add the onion and roasted red peppers to the Cod. You can also add black olives and avacados(sliced in pieces). The final step is to add three table spoons of olive oil to the Cod. And that's it!

Written By: Howard on 05/31/17 at 5:22 am

You can't eat it raw Howard, you have to cut it into pieces and then boil the pieces in water. It is actually salty tasting. It's good with Cod. Here's one Cod and Chayote recipe my mom use to make, and that I think you should try to make if you like Chayote:

Serving for one person:

Boil about two packages of frozen Cod in water to unsalt, or make it less salty. When you taste the Cod and it is less salty but just enough to make it taste good, remove it from the boiling water into a bowl. At this point you have to separate the Cod meat with a fork. Not into small pieces, just make them bite sized pieces. Boil the Chayote until it is almost very soft. After the Chayote is boiled, cook Onion, and  roasted red peppers(the ones that come in a jar already cooked.) in a skillet. Add garlic and condiments. After the onion is cooked, add the onion and roasted red peppers to the Cod. You can also add black olives and avacados(sliced in pieces). The final step is to add three table spoons of olive oil to the Cod. And that's it!

thanks for the recipe Jessica, now I know for the next time not to eat it raw and cook it with a bit of salt and pepper and a bit of olive oil.

Written By: aja675 on 06/06/17 at 12:57 am

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/proxy/z_GEUWnyUFTS9mSz0u9cFBVNFcC7HIyFAzsIVR19H-q6QWLXww3D_mmeH2QhnIlSphS0V1wE4EKwrsVqNHAmAsGvphNBztWLQQ0f6UA=w500-h281-nc

Check for new replies or respond here...