inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: constipation

Written By: annimal on 07/29/18 at 11:22 am

Kind of a yucky subject, but every  time I start to say something, my mom shuts me up.  So what kind of foods do you find good or bad?  I don't trust these websites about it

Subject: Re: constipation

Written By: meesa on 07/29/18 at 11:37 am

Fiber and hydration.

Eat foods that are high in fiber like bran, oats, raspberries, beans.
Hydrate! Raise your water intake, make sure that you are drinking plenty of it. Common rule is 8x8 (eight 8 ounce glasses of water).

A diet heavy in meat and cheese will cause constipation, so be sure to balance your diet.

Edited to add, Mayo Clinic website has lots of good information, and they are a trusted resource.

Written By: annimal on 07/29/18 at 1:15 pm

fiber is definitely a winner with me.  It's what I've been lacking in.  I drink water about all day, gotta say with me I need fiber especially noticed with white rice when mom made it.  When young and my grandparents visited  We always had a steak dinner.  The only meat I try to have these days is chicken.

I have a weak thyroid and normally feel like I have to go but cant.  The fiber seems to get any stuff in my belly to my butt.  If it's been a few days and I haven't seen any poo, I want to make sure I'm ok

Written By: annimal on 07/29/18 at 1:39 pm

I've gone to so many web sites  that say so many different types of foods are bad for you types of food are bad for you like fast food, I'm just not sure. 

;)

Written By: meesa on 07/29/18 at 1:44 pm

It all depends upon what you choose to eat at fast food restaurants that make the difference. Fast food is all about cheap processed items that can be made quickly but also are not costly, that is why they have the bad rep. But you can eat from their menu and still eat relatively well.
Example: Mcdonalds- if you order the grilled chicken sandwich rather than a heavy big mac, it is better for you. Occasionally having a burger isn't going to hurt you and if you are craving it, I would get one. But making it your routine might. They do have salads as options but if you don't like salad, don't force yourself to eat it. Try a grilled chicken wrap instead. They are pretty flavorful. Also, Mcdonalds will give you a bottled water in place of soda. Another way to get more water. If you are like me and not a fan of water, you can get the little flavor drops bottles that they sell at stores to drop in to your water and make it flavorful. I keep one handy just because of this reason.

The key to keeping your digestive tract going is to stick with it. Don't just eat fiber rich foods when you are already bound up, but make it a part of your every day routine.

Here is an example of how to make something routine: for breakfast, eat some cereal that is fiber rich. You can mix cheerios with raisin bran. That way you are having something sweet but also healthy. If you make it a routine to eat some combination of fiber rich breakfast food (every day), it will help you. This is my go to breakfast food, although when Count Chocula season comes around during fall, I am 100% in.  ;D ;D

Try to find a balance for yourself, you know best about what your body is telling you.

Written By: meesa on 07/29/18 at 1:49 pm

One more thing I should have said at the beginning: at your next primary doctor check up, take a notepad and pen/pencil with you and ask them about your digestion. They will have suggestions to help you. And you may not even need the pad/pencil because most primary docs have print outs all ready to go for these questions.  :) Also, your primary doc can determine whether you are having mild, common issues or if it needs to be looked into further.

Written By: Howard on 07/29/18 at 2:52 pm

Perhaps it's the different foods that you put in your stomach that make you constipated, try to eat more fruits and vegetables instead, a healthy diet of that will do you good.

Written By: annimal on 07/29/18 at 3:13 pm

but I do eat fruits and vegetables

Check for new replies or respond here...