inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Thanksgiving Dinner

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/21/18 at 1:39 pm

I believe it is Thanksgiving Day tomorrow, and I know that turkey is served, with pumpkin also served in course of the dinner.

But, what are the traditional servings on the dinner table for the national holiday?

Subject: Re: Thanksgiving Dinner

Written By: AmericanGirl on 11/21/18 at 5:15 pm

Besides turkey, there's stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, rolls, and sometimes other side dishes, for example sweet potatoes or yams, corn, green bean casserole, other green vegetables, mac and cheese, salad, fruit salad, or fancied up jello.  There can be other meats alongside too, like ham or roast beef.  Dessert is usually a choice of pumpkin pie, apple pie, pecan pie, or some other delicious pie.  Hmmm, I just made myself hungry  :D

Written By: meesa on 11/21/18 at 6:12 pm

Thanksgiving in my family as a child:
Turkey and Ham, mashed potatoes, gravy, cornbread dressing, deviled eggs, sweet potato casserole, green beans with bacon, corn pudding, baked mac and cheese, cranberry salad, angel rolls,biscuits, pumpkin, apple, cherry, peach and pecan pie. It would be with the extended family so there would be a TON of people and then there were always friends that would be invited because they were on their own for the holiday or didn't have anything planned. And I had the one Auntie that would bring deer chili and Mississippi mud pie- "Honey, not everyone likes turkey and fruit pie!"  ;D

Now it's only my much smaller family so we have it scaled waaaaay down. Turkey, mashed potatoes, dressing, green beans, rolls and pumpkin pie or banana pudding for dessert. 

A friend of mine's mother 'produces' the community meal here in town, she with an army of volunteers makes Thanksgiving for anyone and everyone that wants it, and they deliver to the home bound. It's a lot of fun to help and free will donation. Many of the businesses here will pitch in to help pay for the turkeys and etc.

Written By: nally on 11/21/18 at 10:36 pm

Besides turkey, there's stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, rolls, and sometimes other side dishes, for example sweet potatoes or yams, corn, green bean casserole, other green vegetables, mac and cheese, salad, fruit salad, or fancied up jello.  There can be other meats alongside too, like ham or roast beef.  Dessert is usually a choice of pumpkin pie, apple pie, pecan pie, or some other delicious pie.  Hmmm, I just made myself hungry  :D

I'm pretty sure I've had all of those at one time or another (but not all at the same time).

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/22/18 at 12:46 am

Every year I always plan to have a similar meal at home, but most of the ingredients are against my diet, of which I do not wish to discuss here.

Written By: Howard on 11/22/18 at 7:51 am

There's always the waiting for the delicious desserts after a big hearty meal, the pumpkin and apple pie with cuppa coffee on the side. :)

Written By: Howard on 11/22/18 at 7:52 am

Besides turkey, there's stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, rolls, and sometimes other side dishes, for example sweet potatoes or yams, corn, green bean casserole, other green vegetables, mac and cheese, salad, fruit salad, or fancied up jello.  There can be other meats alongside too, like ham or roast beef.  Dessert is usually a choice of pumpkin pie, apple pie, pecan pie, or some other delicious pie.  Hmmm, I just made myself hungry   :D

I'm hungry too.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/22/18 at 7:55 am

I'm hungry too.  ;D
Has that turkey been pardoned?

Written By: Howard on 11/22/18 at 8:33 am

Has that turkey been pardoned?

I sure hope so.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/23/18 at 1:48 am

Is it turkey stew served for today?

Check for new replies or respond here...