inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: PG Tips could be sold by Unilever as cuppa goes out of fashion

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/30/20 at 6:22 am

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/17EF9/production/_100214089_gettyimages-636702860.jpg

The PG Tips and Lipton tea brands could be sold by consumer goods giant Unilever because they are falling out of favour with the public. The firm is reviewing its tea business amid a slowdown in sales as more consumers switch to the herbal variety. It is part of efforts by chief executive Alan Jope to refocus the firm and concentrate on fewer brands. The announcement came as Unilever announced its slowest quarterly growth in a decade. The firm said its sales in the final three months of 2019 were up just 1.5%. However, it said it expected a stronger performance in 2020. Unilever said it would look at "all options" for the tea business, including a partial or full sale.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51309566

Subject: Re: PG Tips could be sold by Unilever as cuppa goes out of fashion

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/30/20 at 11:14 am

https://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/660/cpsprodpb/17EF9/production/_100214089_gettyimages-636702860.jpg

The PG Tips and Lipton tea brands could be sold by consumer goods giant Unilever because they are falling out of favour with the public. The firm is reviewing its tea business amid a slowdown in sales as more consumers switch to the herbal variety. It is part of efforts by chief executive Alan Jope to refocus the firm and concentrate on fewer brands. The announcement came as Unilever announced its slowest quarterly growth in a decade. The firm said its sales in the final three months of 2019 were up just 1.5%. However, it said it expected a stronger performance in 2020. Unilever said it would look at "all options" for the tea business, including a partial or full sale.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-51309566

I've never drank PG Tips, but I'm not a Lipton fan. I do enjoy tea and I'm partial to a brand called Harney and Sons. It's herbal and flavorful. You can still find the plain tea in any brand.

Written By: wixness on 01/30/20 at 11:44 am

It's a shame to see this go since PG Tips does taste quite nice, but at the same time, caffeine does stress me out.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/30/20 at 12:14 pm

Yes, I do enjoy a cup of tea, usually Earl Grey, but I do have PG Tips for when guests ask for usual cuppa.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/30/20 at 12:40 pm

It's a shame to see this go since PG Tips does taste quite nice, but at the same time, caffeine does stress me out.

How much caffeine is in it and yes, it can have the same effect on me but when you have to stay awake...

Written By: Howard on 01/30/20 at 2:00 pm

Yes, I do enjoy a cup of tea, usually Earl Grey, but I do have PG Tips for when guests ask for usual cuppa.

I drink tea once in a while but I'm mostly a coffee guy.

Written By: wixness on 01/30/20 at 2:27 pm

How much caffeine is in it and yes, it can have the same effect on me but when you have to stay awake...
Caffeine can make me stressed especially when the drink in question is coffee. Sometimes, tea can be the culprit too but I've generally had a much calmer experience with tea.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/30/20 at 2:40 pm

From now on, I am going to try and not have tea after 8pm to see how my sleep in affected.

Check for new replies or respond here...