inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Foods you didn't use to like but like now?

Written By: kr37 on 07/02/21 at 10:24 pm

Maybe someone has already made this topic but I didn't see it...

Recently I've been enjoying eating green olives, which I didn't use to want to eat and I didn't like their taste. But now I think they're really delicious! They taste good in pasta salads too. Another food I can think of that I didn't use to like is pumpkin pie, though I'm the only one in my family who likes it so we never eat it at home. But I do like it when I've had it other places. I think there are other foods that if they are cooked the right way can be really delicious, but other ways to cook them might not be.

Do you have any foods you didn't use to like but like now?

Subject: Re: Foods you didn't use to like but like now?

Written By: Contigo on 07/03/21 at 10:28 am

Foods I like now, but not 30 years ago. They are brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower and asparagus.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/03/21 at 1:15 pm

Maybe someone has already made this topic but I didn't see it...
Do you have any foods you didn't use to like but like now?

I think there's an old topic like this, but it's often best when a topic is overage to start a new one.

Speaking of olives, a funny thing - when I was 9 yo, my mom invited her Bridge game friends over and recruited me to help her.  She put out a relish tray having pickles, olives, etc. and told me to keep my mitts off.  Before company came over I covertly snuck one of the olives from the tray and popped it into my mouth.  My impression was YUCK!  It took me many years to get over that first impression.  ;D

Incidentally, today I do like olives.

Written By: kr37 on 07/03/21 at 2:03 pm

Foods I like now, but not 30 years ago. They are brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower and asparagus.

I like roasted brussels sprouts a lot. I don't remember trying them before the last few years but I probably wouldn't have liked them.

Written By: kr37 on 07/03/21 at 2:08 pm

Speaking of olives, a funny thing - when I was 9 yo, my mom invited her Bridge game friends over and recruited me to help her.  She put out a relish tray having pickles, olives, etc. and told me to keep my mitts off.  Before company came over I covertly snuck one of the olives from the tray and popped it into my mouth.  My impression was YUCK!  It took me many years to get over that first impression.  ;D

Olives do have a strong taste! I'm sure it was startling.
Did you like pickles? I didn't like dill pickles when I was young (like olives they have a strong taste!) but now I like them a lot. I've always liked pickles with a sweeter flavor though.

Written By: nally on 07/03/21 at 2:15 pm

Salad dressings. When I first tried them, as a kid, I didn't like their taste. I had to gradually develop a liking; get accustomed to their taste. So I started with balsamic vinegar and EVOO, then progressed to premade dressings.

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/03/21 at 3:00 pm

Salad dressings. When I first tried them, as a kid, I didn't like their taste. I had to gradually develop a liking; get accustomed to their taste. So I started with balsamic vinegar and EVOO, then progressed to premade dressings.

Interesting - it took me some time to get used to salad dressings, too.  As a child we ate tossed salad at home quite a bit, but dressed it with pure mayonnaise instead of salad dressing.  That's what I got used to.  Eventually I started liking salad dressing, but I think I was a young adult (late teens/early 20s) by that point.  Incidentally, at that time (70s/early 80s) there was a lot less salad dressing variety in the supermarkets compared to today.

Written By: Howard on 07/03/21 at 3:31 pm

I think there's an old topic like this, but it's often best when a topic is overage to start a new one.

I like olives only if they're de-pitted and I enjoy them in some salads.

Written By: Howard on 07/03/21 at 3:32 pm

Did you like pickles? I didn't like dill pickles when I was young (like olives they have a strong taste!) but now I like them a lot. I've always liked pickles with a sweeter flavor though.

Pickles are delicious especially the garlic flavored.

Written By: Howard on 07/03/21 at 3:32 pm

creamed spinach

Written By: AmericanGirl on 07/03/21 at 3:36 pm

I like dill pickles and sweet pickles, too.

Written By: Howard on 07/03/21 at 3:46 pm

I like dill pickles and sweet pickles, too.

What about sour and garlic?

Written By: kr37 on 07/03/21 at 4:43 pm

What about sour and garlic?

I've never tried those kinds personally, but maybe I should. That might be a type of food I find that I like!
I can't think of any salad dressings I haven't liked, and I have had quite a few types that I've liked, but I could see how too much salad dressing could taste too strong.

Written By: wagonman76 on 07/03/21 at 8:09 pm

Brussels sprouts and asparagus I like now. And stronger cheeses.

However I used to eat ranch, miracle whip, Mayo, and bbq sauce when I was a kid. Can’t stand them now.

Written By: Wink-182 on 07/03/21 at 9:05 pm

Bananas, didn't really like them before, big fan of them nowadays.

Written By: nally on 07/03/21 at 9:22 pm

Interesting - it took me some time to get used to salad dressings, too.  As a child we ate tossed salad at home quite a bit, but dressed it with pure mayonnaise instead of salad dressing.  That's what I got used to.  Eventually I started liking salad dressing, but I think I was a young adult (late teens/early 20s) by that point.  Incidentally, at that time (70s/early 80s) there was a lot less salad dressing variety in the supermarkets compared to today.

I was also about 20 when I started liking salad dressings.

However, there may be a few that I will not try, such as any that are made with onion.

Written By: nally on 07/03/21 at 9:25 pm

Certain cheeses didn't appeal to me when I was little, especially if they were melted. But after I made an effort to try them, I liked them very much.

Written By: Howard on 07/04/21 at 7:49 am

I've never tried those kinds personally, but maybe I should. That might be a type of food I find that I like!
I can't think of any salad dressings I haven't liked, and I have had quite a few types that I've liked, but I could see how too much salad dressing could taste too strong.

I'm not crazy blue cheese dressing, the smell is just a turn off for me.

Written By: kr37 on 07/04/21 at 3:25 pm

I like it, but only in small amounts on sandwiches or with a salad.

Written By: nally on 08/26/21 at 12:13 am

I like it, but only in small amounts on sandwiches or with a salad.

I can take it in small doses as well.

Written By: Lindee on 12/09/21 at 2:41 pm

Zucchini. I hated it as a kid but love it as an adult. It was the way my mom cooked it; mushy, overcooked, and bland.

Written By: kr37 on 12/09/21 at 8:09 pm

Zucchini. I hated it as a kid but love it as an adult. It was the way my mom cooked it; mushy, overcooked, and bland.

I love roasted zucchini. I'd like to try to grow it in my garden next year.

Written By: nally on 12/12/21 at 10:49 pm

I love roasted zucchini. I'd like to try to grow it in my garden next year.

O0

I love zucchini in general. I eat all my veggies.

Written By: Howard on 12/13/21 at 4:17 am

creamed corn
creamed spinach

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/13/21 at 3:10 pm

O0

O0

I've never liked zucchini
A food I wish to forget
And then very confusing
For in UK, it's called courgette

Check for new replies or respond here...