inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Life or Happiness?

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/04/21 at 3:01 pm

New poll :)

Subject: Re: Life or Happiness?

Written By: violet_shy on 08/04/21 at 3:06 pm

Spend more on healthy food. So I can live healthier and longer!

Written By: Howard on 08/04/21 at 3:17 pm

spend more money on healthy foods.

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/06/21 at 12:21 pm

I've eaten junk foods since childhood, so why stop now?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/06/21 at 12:29 pm

You may not have to stop, they may stop you.

Not that I'm preaching or anything, we've all eaten our share of junk.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/06/21 at 1:34 pm

I'm much happier since I stopped eating crappy food.

Written By: 2001 on 08/06/21 at 1:36 pm

Isn't this a false dichotomy? Junk food both tastes disgusting and makes you miserable. The only reason we eat it is because it's cheap and convenient. If Thai vegetable curry was just as cheap and available in every store like Lays potato chips, I would be obese and happy off vegetable curry.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/06/21 at 2:40 pm

Isn't this a false dichotomy? Junk food both tastes disgusting and makes you miserable.

I wouldn't necessarily say it tastes disgusting. There's a reason why it's so popular. If anything it's addicting.  Back in my stoner days I could easily put away a whole bag of Doritos.

What I've figured out, for myself anyway, is that it's not terrible to eat unhealthy foods every now and then, just as long as you can do it in moderation.

But if junk food and fast food and things that are high in carbohydrates are a staple of your everyday diet, that's when they start causing problems.

Written By: Howard on 08/06/21 at 3:11 pm

I'm addicted to junk food myself, we as a people can't help it, we like it because it makes us feel good.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/06/21 at 3:43 pm

I'm addicted to junk food myself, we as a people can't help it, we like it because it makes us feel good.

I like junk food but can't eat them often. It's because of my weight. I will have some junk foods once in a great while. But most of the time I eat healthy. It's better for me. I want to live to be 200 years old!

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/06/21 at 4:56 pm

I have a lifetime of digestive issues and patchwork surgeries. Junk food is what works best for me. First off, it’s some of the only stuff that can make it’s way through because of the texture and consistency. Any normal solid food won’t pass. The alternative is a feeding tube. Also, generally the higher the actual food content, the worse I feel and the longer it takes to recover after eating something. A normal small meal is like having the life sucked out of me and feeling carsick for hours if not the whole night until it digests. Junk food digests quickly so it works better. Most evenings and weekends I eat nothing the whole time and actually feel great. My fridge and cupboards are mostly empty. The part that makes you feel hungry has been long gone. I don’t get turned on by food. I just use it to keep me going. There’s only a handful of things I can drink too, most things are too strong or acidic. And yet some people still don’t understand why I don’t like going to restaurants. I’ve got this down if people can just leave me to my own doing. Some have joked that I’m so full of chemicals and preservatives that I’ll live forever.

Written By: Contigo on 08/06/21 at 5:00 pm

Healthy foods without a doubt.
Foods high in sodium and sugar are THE worst foods for you. 
I do not eat any junk food anymore. I was lucky to survive a massive heart attack a few years back and it was a wake-up call. I am careful with what I eat now.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/06/21 at 5:12 pm

This is manifestly false. What is this "we as a people can't help it" business? Big  excuse for lack of personal responsibility.  Of course you can help it, Howard. Go for it.

Written By: wagonman76 on 08/06/21 at 5:40 pm

Healthy foods without a doubt.
Foods high in sodium and sugar are THE worst foods for you. 
I do not eat any junk food anymore. I was lucky to survive a massive heart attack a few years back and it was a wake-up call. I am careful with what I eat now.

If I ate as much junk food as most people eat in general, I’d probably be overweight, diabetic, bad heart… But I stay pretty small for a guy at 150, can still wear clothes from high school, and my cholesterol is lower than it was 10 years ago, like 165 or so. Sugar is fine. I do have low iron and other things but that’s to be expected. Most of the time I don’t notice it, and a plus is that viruses supposedly don’t thrive well in that environment. Don’t smoke or drink either, that probably helps. I feel lucky because some people gain weight practically from just looking at junk food. I feel I am adapted well, made a mostly functioning life out of a train wreck.

Written By: 2001 on 08/06/21 at 7:45 pm

I wouldn't necessarily say it tastes disgusting. There's a reason why it's so popular. If anything it's addicting.  Back in my stoner days I could easily put away a whole bag of Doritos.

What I've figured out, for myself anyway, is that it's not terrible to eat unhealthy foods every now and then, just as long as you can do it in moderation.

But if junk food and fast food and things that are high in carbohydrates are a staple of your everyday diet, that's when they start causing problems.

You're right, they're not disgusting. I was just forced to eat Popeyes fried chicken by my sister for her birthday when I wrote that lol.  8-P

You're right that they're addicting. They have a crunchy or other kind of texture that you can't really get from healthy foods; and heavy amounts of fatty oils and carbs. I wouldn't describe it as delicious though, rather comfortable, familiar. If you've eaten Popeye's or McDonald's, you can easily eat fried chicken or a burger elsewhere and get a near identical taste, and that come backs to convenience, because you can't walk 100 yards without tripping over yet another fried chicken joint.

The best foods I've tasted and cooked for myself all have vegetables in them as ingredients, often copious amounts. If you didn't cut a tomato or an onion and a handful of other vegetables while cooking, and didn't add any spices, then I don't expect to be wowed. I associate happiness with those kind of foods, not Popeyes. Too bad it costs $30 to eat at those kind of restaurants.

Also I wouldn't say carbs are unhealthy. They are high in calories but that's not the same as unhealthy if you're already at a healthy weight. The only unhealthy things are sodium and saturated fats and a few other things. Carbs are okay in moderation... or at least I eat rice and bread everyday and haven't run into problems... yet. :P

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/06/21 at 7:54 pm

Also I wouldn't say carbs are unhealthy. They are high in calories but that's not the same as unhealthy if you're already at a healthy weight. The only unhealthy things are sodium and saturated fats and a few other things. Carbs are okay in moderation... or at least I eat rice and bread everyday and haven't run into problems... yet. :P

You forgot to mention the big daddy of them all. SUGAR. And it's one of the physiologically addictive things of all. And it's exactly what carbohydrates break down into in the human system. Which is why people with diabetes can't (or shouldn't) go near them.

Written By: Howard on 08/07/21 at 4:32 am

I like junk food but can't eat them often. It's because of my weight. I will have some junk foods once in a great while. But most of the time I eat healthy. It's better for me. I want to live to be 200 years old!

I admit, I do like junk food myself when I get in the mood I tend to snack a lot.

Written By: Howard on 08/07/21 at 4:36 am

This is manifestly false. What is this "we as a people can't help it" business? Big  excuse for lack of personal responsibility.  Of course you can help it, Howard. Go for it.

I can eat healthy too such as fruits and vegetables that we have in our refrigerator, I eat bananas with my cereal every morning and I try to add a salad with my meals when I have something to eat in the afternoons and evenings.

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/08/21 at 12:01 pm

So your saying I should stop eating junk food for meals that tastes like garbage. :-\\

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/08/21 at 12:30 pm

So your saying I should stop eating junk food for meals that tastes like garbage. :-\\

I'm not sure it's an either/or proposition like that.

Written By: Howard on 08/08/21 at 1:58 pm

I do eat bad/unhealthy foods sometimes but yet I'm still happy, mentally and physically.

Written By: violet_shy on 08/09/21 at 4:52 pm

I do eat bad/unhealthy foods sometimes but yet I'm still happy, mentally and physically.

Just don't eat junk all of the time it isn't good for anyone.

Subject: Life or Happiness?

Written By: Dude111 on 08/10/21 at 1:49 am

More $$$$$$$$ on good f00d!!

Written By: Howard on 08/10/21 at 7:29 am

Just don't eat junk all of the time it isn't good for anyone.

I try not too.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/21 at 12:16 pm

Spend more money on healthy foods.

Btw, no more junk food.

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/16/21 at 1:14 am

When snack companies add preservatives and other ingredients that make you addicted, there may not be very many healthy choices in the guture.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 08/16/21 at 8:45 am

When snack companies add preservatives and other ingredients that make you addicted, there may not be very many healthy choices in the guture.

Preservatives may not be great for the health, butt hey are not what make a person addicted. It's one thing and one thing only. SUGAR. That's why there is sugar in things that have absolutely no need for it. Such as bottled salad dressing (which I would never touch. I make my own). And bread. Some bread is so full of sugar it tastes like cake. Pepperidge Farm being the prime example. There is no reason on earth for sugar to be in bread.

Now if a person is 'addicted" to junk food that has no sugar in it, then the addiction is psychological or they are just a glutton. Let's not use "addiction" as an excuse to abandon personal responsibility. But if there is sugar in it, the addiction is physiological as well as psychological.

Check for new replies or respond here...