inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fries with fry sauce vs. fries with ketchup

Written By: BotleyCrew on 11/20/21 at 5:38 pm

I never ate out much before moving to Idaho, but I've noticed that whenever I order burgers at non-fast food places, the fries pretty much always come with a cup of fry sauce instead or a cup of ketchup. Pretty much the only time I receive fries with ketchup is when I eat somewhere like McDonald's, which I rarely do. I don't even mentally lump french fries with ketchup anymore.

I don't remember this being the case before. I asked my friend from New England about it and they didn't even know what fry sauce was! It maybe a new trend or a regional thing.

I prefer fry sauce anyways, so I'm not complaining.

Subject: Re: Fries with fry sauce vs. fries with ketchup

Written By: karen on 11/22/21 at 12:36 pm

Never heard of fry sauce before.

What sort of flavour is it?

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/22/21 at 1:07 pm

I never ate out much before moving to Idaho, but I've noticed that whenever I order burgers at non-fast food places, the fries pretty much always come with a cup of fry sauce instead or a cup of ketchup. Pretty much the only time I receive fries with ketchup is when I eat somewhere like McDonald's, which I rarely do. I don't even mentally lump french fries with ketchup anymore.

I don't remember this being the case before. I asked my friend from New England about it and they didn't even know what fry sauce was! It maybe a new trend or a regional thing.

I prefer fry sauce anyways, so I'm not complaining.

Never heard of fry sauce before.

What sort of flavour is it?
Is fry sauce known as BBQ sauce?

Written By: BotleyCrew on 11/22/21 at 8:56 pm

Fry sauce is a mix of ketchup and mayonnaise. It tastes sort of like salad dressing.

https://www.thecookierookie.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/fry-sauce-recipe-6-of-8.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/23/21 at 1:28 am

Fry sauce is a mix of ketchup and mayonnaise. It tastes sort of like salad dressing.

I am sure that it has another name.

Written By: Howard on 11/23/21 at 3:39 am

https://www.thecookierookie.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/fry-sauce-recipe-6-of-8.jpg

Fries with ketchup.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/23/21 at 4:37 am

It's only ketchup for me.

Written By: kr37 on 11/23/21 at 5:49 pm

It looks a little bit like Thousand Island dressing. I haven't tried fry sauce before.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/23/21 at 5:57 pm

It looks a little bit like Thousand Island dressing. I haven't tried fry sauce before.

I think it's basically what we call here in the US "Russian Dressing", which is essentially comprised of ketchup and mayonnaise.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/24/21 at 12:41 am

Thank you, I thought it had been given a name and that is the one.

Written By: Howard on 11/24/21 at 4:00 am

I think it's basically what we call here in the US "Russian Dressing", which is essentially comprised of ketchup and mayonnaise.

Anyone can make it if they have those condiments in their refrigerators.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/24/21 at 5:05 am

Anyone can make it if they have those condiments in their refrigerators.
Get ketchup with some heigh-ho
Add some extra bottled mayo
Mix them in, yes of course
Pour gently into handy dish,
Stir, and make a special wish
To make this required tasty fry sauce

Written By: BotleyCrew on 11/25/21 at 12:43 am

Apparently, fry sauce is just Russian Dressing without the spices. Heinz also calls it Mayochup.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/25/21 at 12:47 am

Apparently, fry sauce is just Russian Dressing without the spices. Heinz also calls it Mayochup.
It took a Heinz committee to decide that from Ketchonnaise. http://www.inthe00s.com/Smileys/thanksgiving/cheesy.gif

Written By: karen on 11/25/21 at 8:32 am

Is almost like Marie Rose sauce that you would make prawn cocktail with

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/25/21 at 9:04 am

Prawn Cocktail, back in the good old days, have not had one circa long while now.

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/25/21 at 10:19 am

I think prawn cocktail is what we would call "cocktail sauce" (used on shrimp) here.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/25/21 at 10:30 am

I wasn't sure at first what you meant by fry sauce. But now that someone explained it, I see that you were describing the sauce that they have at Raising Canes and Chick-Fil-A.

Written By: Howard on 11/25/21 at 4:02 pm

I think prawn cocktail is what we would call "cocktail sauce" (used on shrimp) here.

I like shrimp with cocktail sauce.

Written By: karen on 11/26/21 at 6:10 am

I noticed in the USA you call them all shrimp regardless of size. In the U.K. (at least when we were in the EU) shrimp are small and prawns are big. It was something to do with so many per kg. Thus jumbo shrimp seems a total contradiction to us

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 11/26/21 at 8:06 am

I noticed in the USA you call them all shrimp regardless of size. In the U.K. (at least when we were in the EU) shrimp are small and prawns are big. It was something to do with so many per kg. Thus jumbo shrimp seems a total contradiction to us

Jumbo shrimp mentioned at 1:50.  ;D  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRdxdFDX3W0

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/26/21 at 8:17 am

I like shrimp with cocktail sauce.
"Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. There's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it."

Check for new replies or respond here...