inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Continuing the American Idol discussion...

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 04/22/04 at 8:06 pm

Did anybody watch it this week?  I swear people are only making a popular contest rather than voting for who's really talented.  Latoya, Fantasia, and Jennifer were in the bottom 3 and Jennifer got kicked off.  Uh, EXCUSE ME, but could you NOT hear the way John and Diana sang? They were totally FLAT!!! 
Oh it angers me so much I don't know why I continue to watch it, but I'm hooked.

Subject: Re: Continuing the American Idol discussion...

Written By: SmithsGirl on 04/22/04 at 8:25 pm

As you can see I was/am a Camile Velasco fan and I was so sad when she got booted  :'(

I happen to agree with last nights choices for bottom 3. I just don't feel they are unique. Yes they have beautiful voices, but so does Whitney and Mariah and Alicia Keys and Mary J Blidge, so on and so on.
I believe America may be looking for a different style, perhaps in John Stevens? He keeps stickin' around, there must be a reason?

SmithsGirl

Written By: NbC on 04/23/04 at 8:31 am

John Steven's I really can not understand.  There must be an extremely large population in his hometown.   ;D

Written By: onaree on 04/23/04 at 11:23 am

I happen to agree with last nights choices for bottom 3. I just don't feel they are unique. Yes they have beautiful voices, but so does Whitney and Mariah and Alicia Keys and Mary J Blidge, so on and so on.
I believe America may be looking for a different style, perhaps in John Stevens? He keeps stickin' around, there must be a reason?

SmithsGirl

I agree with you.  I think the bottom three all tend to sound alike.  They are good, don't get me wrong, but they sound soo much alike.  I personally like John Stevens because of his sound.  Granted, he isn't always on pitch, but neither was Ruben and he wound up winning.  (Don't even get me started on that subject.)  I think it's time for a change in the music biz.  I am getting tired of all the stuff that's out now.  That's why I LOVED Clay.  His style is so different.  I've about worn his album out. 

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 04/23/04 at 1:26 pm

They are good, don't get me wrong, but they sound soo much alike.  

Not exactly...all three voices have totally different sounds.  Jennifer's is very dark, sounds like Whitney.  Fantasia's is bright and she sings in a very Gospel style.  Latoya probably is the best voice though.

I still don't understand why people like John Stevens.  Style? What style?  He's just boring unless he gets to sing his kinda music aka Sinatra and all that good stuff.  I guess America still just wants the idol that says "Hey, everybody! I sing like crap but I'm pretty cute, huh?"

Written By: SmithsGirl on 04/23/04 at 3:33 pm

I really liked Camile Velasco's voice. It was unique, very quiet and raspy. I really hope she gets signed to a contract. I would pick up her CD for sure.

Yes, John Stevens is not always on pitch, BUT his voice is different, it reminds me of Chet Baker, who I LOVE. Out of the bottom 3 last week I think Fantasia sounds like Aretha Franklin, La Toya sounds like Mary J Blige and Jennifer sounds like she should be doing the lion king on broaday. I am not fond of Diana either, she is plain. All these girls have nice voices, but I want to hear something different, REALLY different. You know who I couldnt stand? Jon Peter whatever his last name was, OH, he sounded horrible, I didnt get that at all. Glad he's out. He was a funny character though. George Huff has a good voice, but again, whats the style difference between him and Ruben?

SmithsGirl

Written By: My name is Kenny on 04/23/04 at 4:22 pm

I don't agree that they all had EXACTLY the same voices, but they definitely were competing for the same votes.  I can easily understand the split.

Written By: NbC on 04/23/04 at 8:17 pm

George Huff has a good voice, but again, whats the style difference between him and Ruben?
SmithsGirl

George Huff has has a big personality though.  You can't help but like him. 

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 04/24/04 at 11:03 am

Hmm...well, he does act a little cheesy at times...

Written By: Howard on 04/24/04 at 11:25 am

What do you guys still think of William Hung so far?

Howard

Written By: Dagwood on 04/24/04 at 3:37 pm

George Huff has a good voice, but again, whats the style difference between him and Ruben?
SmithsGirl

I love George Huff.  Him and La Toya are my faves.

I think this week people figured the bottom three would be safe so they voted for others.

Written By: Gecko on 04/25/04 at 6:04 am

Just finished watching the episode you are all talking about - we are at least a week behind over here.  Gotta say I think George is great - not his voice, it's alright, but he has a great personality.  I think Fantasia or LaToya will win cos they have such strong voices.

This is the first year they have been showing American Idol here.  I was hooked on Australian Idol last year (Shannon was robbed! :P) and I really didn't think I would care that much for the American version - BOY was I wrong.  Just as hooked I have to say.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/25/04 at 8:24 am

My favorite is George Huff.  I think he has the voice and personality that make a popular star.  He goes out there and does his job.  The "average Joe's" favorite, I think.  8)

As for Fantasia, I think she is fake and I'm getting tired of the act.  We do not need to see our stars crying on the stage because they are so overwhelmed and we do not need them parading their kids on stage either.  If you don't have the right kind of talent, a sympathy ploy (which is what she's trying) does not buy my vote.  (By the way I wonder if her siblings are named Pinocchio and Chipetto after Disney movies too  ???  ).

The Phillipino girl (I forget her name) is pretty good too.  I could see her winning but thats a long shot.  :-\  She is HOT looking too.  :P

The red headed kid is OK for his age, but that lounge-lizard act can only go so far.  I mean, there was only one Frank Sinatra.  Now if the kid WROTE his own material that would be a whole 'nother thing.

Now on to Jennifer and her getting voted off.  She thinks there should be a recount, a revote, whatever.  What's next?  Holding revotes on "The Peoples Choice Awards" because The People can not vote for the "right" winners?  Grow up, Jennifer.  You knew that this was a people-vote process and you lost.  That's life.

:D

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 04/25/04 at 5:03 pm

I think Fantasia or LaToya will win cos they have such strong voices.

I guess it's only safe to say that they're the ones that should win...Obviously, by the way people are voting, choosing the best singer has nothing to do with vocal ability anymore.  >:(

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/25/04 at 6:01 pm

I was surprised though not disappointed Amy Adams was kicked out so early. But country seems ro be he genre of music. She even looks country, minus the purple locks. John Stevens is also limited to the Sinatra sound, so I guess New Yorkers and New Jerseyites that see a reincarnation are stuffing the ballot boxes. That and racism are the only things I can think of that would give him his 9 lives.

Written By: Dagwood on 04/25/04 at 8:54 pm

I doubt racism has anything to do with it.  I think John has the same thing happening to him that Carmen had last year...his high school is probably having parties to vote for him.  Every week Carmen was on the show the local Fox channel was at a different party from her school.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 04/26/04 at 1:47 am

As Gecko said - we are an episode behind you guys.  Our Sunday show is your previous weeks Performance and Eviction shows cut together with a serious amount of ad breaks cut out !!!!.

So last night we had the Barry Manilow night.

My first comment - OMIGOD - how can the group of singers who murdered Elton John songs one week produce amazing masterpieces out of Manilow songs the next ????  The Elton night was a classic example of no one bar George perhaps - choosing a song that actually suited their voice and personality.
Whereas with the Manilow songs - wow - boy they all did so good.

Second comment - why are we making such young up and coming singers cover such middle of the road stuff ?  Dont get me wrong - I am a huge Elton fan but these kids should be performing stuff from their age group to give us a better idea of what they intend to release in the charts.

This is with the exception of the gorgeous John Stevens.  I dont think of him as a "Sinatra" guy.  I see him as a crooner.  Chris Isaak, Michael Buble and Harry Connick are all making a living out of it - so why cant John ?  Rod Stewart and Neil Diamond have both released albums of the classic 'Standards" - so there is definately a market for John.  He could also do similar to Buble where he sings current songs in the Standard way.  There is a guy in Aus that does grunge songs in Sinatra style and he is awesome.
Yes John is off pitch sometimes - but what is he ? 17 or something ?  He can improved greatly with age and vocal training.  I thought last nights performance for him showed growth with regards to the camera - he sung right into the lens - so he is learning to connect with it.

OK - so who I would like to see win.  I think there is a huge difference between what type of voice is great to listen to on the radio, and what type of voice belongs to a performer that I would pay to see on stage.

I think the remaining people (and Jennifer - who I have to admit I was rather shocked she got booted) all have great voices that I would listen to on a cd or radio.

But there are only two who I would pay to see on stage - George and Fantasia.  Both know how to connect with the audience and move around stage like it is coming naturally and not plotted and rehearsed all week.  They look comfortable in their own skins.  They perform the songs like they wrote them themselves.

Over the years I have paid good money to see awesome singers in concert and have been majorly disapointed with their actual stage presence and performance. 

At the same time I have seen good and not so good singers in concert and have been blown away by the entire performance.

When I am paying $90 for a gig - I want to be blown away.

I would love to see it come down to Fantasia, George and Latoya. 

Fantasia makes me cry each and every time she sings.  She puts so much of herself into each song. And she has so many "X Factors" I lose count !!

And as Gecko said "Shannon" was robbed" !!!!!!!!!! 

Written By: Gecko on 04/26/04 at 2:38 am

Woo hoo!! :D  Someone agrees with me on this point.  Everyone I know thinks that Shannon will be a one hit wonder and that Guy is extremely talented. :-\  Maybe it's just his style of music, but Guy does nothing for me.

Are you getting ready for Australian Idol 2 BMG - I just know I will be addicted again. ;D

Written By: mandamoo on 04/26/04 at 2:56 am

Woo hoo!! :D  Someone agrees with me on this point.  Everyone I know thinks that Shannon will be a one hit wonder and that Guy is extremely talented. :-\  Maybe it's just his style of music, but Guy does nothing for me.

Not that I watched the show, but I have to agree with the two of you on preferring Shannon Noll over Guy. ;)

Written By: Gecko on 04/26/04 at 4:08 am

Not that I watched the show, but I have to agree with the two of you on preferring Shannon Noll over Guy. ;)

Now if I could only get you to agree that being a Queenslander is soooooo much better than living in Sydney!! ;) :D

I guess I will be waiting awhile for you to agree with me about THAT! ;D

Written By: mandamoo on 04/26/04 at 7:18 am

Now if I could only get you to agree that being a Queenslander is soooooo much better than living in Sydney!! ;) :D

I guess I will be waiting awhile for you to agree with me about THAT! ;D

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one Gecko ! ;D ;)

Written By: Dagwood on 04/27/04 at 7:18 am

I would love to see it come down to Fantasia, George and Latoya. 

This would be my ideal top 3, too.  I would ultimately love to see George win but wouldn't be disappointed if it were Latoya.

Fantasia is another story.  She has a great voice, but I got turned off by her attitude.  Like when Simon would give her some criticism she would talk back (I don't like it when any of the singers do that...it is rude).  Then when Tamayra was on and she asked how she dealt with criticism like Fantasia didn't deserve any constructive criticism.  What really bothered me about that was that S wasn't harsh or mean at all...he even started out saying something nice.  I hope her visit to the bottom two last week took her attitude down a couple of pegs.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 04/28/04 at 10:13 am

Well, I was quite disappointed with Fantasia last night.  Her attitude was the worst and I wasn't even all that excited about her performance like usual.  I still hope that she doesn't get voted off yet because I know what she can do and she is much better than SOME CONTESTANTS that can't even sing!!!  I think the best 3 last night were Latoya, George, and Diana. 
And JOHN STEVENS SUCKS, hands down!  I mean, you would think he might do ok with that song, but he was horrible.  He was completely out of tune and he had no emotion whatsoever.  The most he did what randomly pick up his hand.  And just think about it people: if you were to buy a John Stevens CD and he's singing like he has on the show, you wouldn't see him.  All you would hear is some kid singing out of tune and sounding like he's just worried about getting the rhythm right and trying to get the song over with. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/28/04 at 6:24 pm

I watched the "Gloria Estefan Episode" last night with these comments...

Fantasia
For once, Randy and Simon told it like it is.  She sucked.  I think Simon said "your vocals sounded like a clown".  Fantasia then copped a 'tude.  Very unprofessional.  I guess she has come to expect the judges to fawn all over her.

John Stevens (Red Headed Crooner)
Normally I've liked the guy, but I have to say that he BUTCHERED the song he sang last night.  No excuse, really.  Somebody could have told him he sucked earlier in the week so he could have chosen a more appropriate song from the Estefan catalogue.  On the other hand, maybe they did and this was best he could do.

George Huff
Did a great job.  He'll make this cut, and I still hope he goes all the way.

Diane
Great job, especially good with her "moves".

Gloria Estefan
They should NEVER invite her back to be a judge.  She flat-out lied and did not, as Randy would say "keep it real".  She complimented Fantasia and John Stevens when it was plain OBVIOUS that they sucked.  If I were her, while John was butchering a tune that I had written, I would have walked on the stage and ripped that microphone from his hand right then and there.  Judges are not supposed to be "nice", they are supposed to be "honest".  Gloria's comments were not honest.

;D George Huff all-the-way ! !  ;D

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 04/28/04 at 7:56 pm

YEAH BABY!!!

He's gone!!! He's gone!!!  Oh joy! Oh rapture!

Written By: Dagwood on 04/28/04 at 7:58 pm

Fantasia
For once, Randy and Simon told it like it is.  She sucked.  I think Simon said "your vocals sounded like a clown".  Fantasia then copped a 'tude.  Very unprofessional.  I guess she has come to expect the judges to fawn all over her.

This disappoints me greatly.  I had hoped that after her bottom two placement last week her attitude would go away at least for a week.

Written By: Howard on 04/28/04 at 8:04 pm

Did anyone see the article with Elton John this morning?

Howard

Written By: Dagwood on 04/28/04 at 8:10 pm

The one where he called the voters racist?  I saw that last night.  I think he is an idiot.  My take on the bottom three last week is people thought they were safe because they did good and concentrated on the other contestants.  Plain and Simple.

Written By: Hairspray on 04/29/04 at 12:57 am

I was surprised John Stevens made it as far as he did. Perhaps part of the reason he lasted was his good demeanor and his trying very hard to adapt, albeit unsuccessfully, to the many different music styles and routines. He's a very good crooner, easily in par with the likes of Harry Conick Jr. I believe that expecting him to successfully do anything else was unrealistic; although I could picture him doing Billy Joel songs well, for some reason. Anyway, like Randy said, he's a good kid and I'd wish him luck.

I believe the last 5 will be close. Diana has improved, IMO. I predict Jasmine will go next, then Diana. I felt George to be a strong contender initially, but may have faded a bit. I predict LaToya and Fantasia will be the last two standing - unless George "brings it on" in the last few weeks.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 04/29/04 at 7:02 am

Are you getting ready for Australian Idol 2 BMG - I just know I will be addicted again. ;D

I cant seem to make people understand that all Guys sings is Channel 10 commercials.  He is a complete dip.

Shannon is a MANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN  and he is the kinda guy who looks damn fine in a tux and just as hot in a pair of dirty jeans and ripped shirt (settle Gecko !!)

I hate the way Guy dresses - I know blind people who co-ordinate better than him.

Yep waiting for Aus Idol with baited breath.  Havent got into Popstars at all because I cannot fathom how such a completely talentless lot made it into the final 10.  I expected more from someone like Molly. (and compare the final 10 with the US Idol final ten - god what a huge difference - all 10 in the US will get careers).

I think the judging selection was far more stringent for AusIdol.  Fingers crossed they lose Holden - or maybe someone will punch him in the face.

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/29/04 at 8:06 am

I was surprised John Stevens made it as far as he did. Perhaps part of the reason he lasted was his good demeanor and his trying very hard to adapt, albeit unsuccessfully, to the many different music styles and routines. He's a very good crooner, easily in par with the likes of Harry Conick Jr. I believe that expecting him to successfully do anything else was unrealistic; although I could picture him doing Billy Joel songs well, for some reason. Anyway, like Randy said, he's a good kid and I'd wish him luck.

I believe the last 5 will be close. Diana has improved, IMO. I predict Jasmine will go next, then Diana. I felt George to be a strong contender initially, but may have faded a bit. I predict LaToya and Fantasia will be the last two standing - unless George "brings it on" in the last few weeks.

John can always enter the contest again next year.  ;D

Written By: Hairspray on 04/29/04 at 12:03 pm

:-\ Too bad he didn't get to do the show about his kind of music, a show in which he would have probably shined - "Big Band". That's the theme for next week. Life goes on.... :)

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 04/29/04 at 1:02 pm

No no no....I'm glad he's gone.  If he can't adapt to different styles he shouldn't be an "idol."  My assumption, though, is that most of the little girls that kept voting for him were also N-Sync fans and were greatly disappointed by his rendition so they let him go.  :D   

Written By: LyricBoy on 04/29/04 at 2:58 pm

:-\ Too bad he didn't get to do the show about his kind of music, a show in which he would have probably shined - "Big Band". That's the theme for next week. Life goes on.... :)

Gotta give the kid credit.  he put up with all sorts of crap and took it all in stride.  Took it ALOT better than Fantasia and some of the others when they were criticized.  8)

His parents did good raising the kid to be respectful and to be graceful in defeat.  We need more GOOD SPORTSMEN (and women) like him and William Hung.  :)

Let's hope that his talent continues to improve and he gets that record contract.    8)

Written By: Indy Gent on 04/30/04 at 8:59 am

I'm happy that the veiwers have finally waken up to the mediocrity of John Stevens. Next one to go out will be Diana DeGarmo, unless she is the daughter of Christian artist Eric DeGarmo and all this is a work of God. (I doubt that they are related, but what else can explain her getting this far?)

Written By: Erin on 04/30/04 at 9:26 am

I have only watched it a few times this season but from what I have seen it sucks!  The talented ones never win!  Besides they all sound the same.  I am starting to think that that show is degrading to people with real talent.  Anyone with any amount of self respect would never go on that show. 

Written By: NbC on 04/30/04 at 7:41 pm

Gotta give the kid credit.  he put up with all sorts of crap and took it all in stride.  Took it ALOT better than Fantasia and some of the others when they were criticized.   8)

His parents did good raising the kid to be respectful and to be graceful in defeat.  We need more GOOD SPORTSMEN (and women) like him and William Hung.  :)

Let's hope that his talent continues to improve and he gets that record contract.     8)

Well said.  I totally agree.  I do feel that his attitude and the way he took all the criticism was what allowed him to hang on for so long.  With some vocal lessons and more years of experience I think he will do well.  Just needs time to grow and mature. 

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/03/04 at 7:28 pm

I am watching the American Idol special right now.  Ok, I wasn't really paying attention to Fantasia's interview but I loved her performance!!! She sang "Summertime" again.  How anyone can watch that and say that she's not good baffles me!!!

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/04/04 at 1:22 am

SmithsGirl

I agree!  George really likes what he's doing and it shows.  He has the confidence that others lack.  :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/04/04 at 1:26 am

No no no....I'm glad he's gone.  If he can't adapt to different styles he shouldn't be an "idol."  My assumption, though, is that most of the little girls that kept voting for him were also N-Sync fans and were greatly disappointed by his rendition so they let him go.   :D   

Look at all the singers out there and tell me how many of them can sing all the different genres!  Most singers are good at one style only and that's what they stick with.  Why should the next 'idol' be expected to know how to do everything?  Good grief!  ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/04/04 at 9:55 am

No no no....I'm glad he's gone.  If he can't adapt to different styles he shouldn't be an "idol."  My assumption, though, is that most of the little girls that kept voting for him were also N-Sync fans and were greatly disappointed by his rendition so they let him go.  :D   

Look at all the singers out there and tell me how many of them can sing all the different genres!  Most singers are good at one style only and that's what they stick with.  Why should the next 'idol' be expected to know how to do everything?  Good grief!  ::)
That's just one reason why I'd rather clean the bathroom then waste my time watching shows like this ::)

Written By: SmithsGirl on 05/04/04 at 5:42 pm

I have not watched it since the Barry Manilow episode and that says a lot for the talent left as far as I am concerned. I was a devoted fan of that show since it began. Now I don't even think twice about it being on or care about missing it because really, what am I missing?

Poop on AI. I hope the judges focus on finding better talent next year rather then conjuring up their next  insult. Three thumbs down for AI.

Camile Velasco #1!

SmithsGirl

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/04/04 at 7:31 pm

I saw Jennifer Hudson being interviewed by Paula Abdul on Entertainment Tonight this weekend. And before Jennifer could shed a tear, Paula rushed up to hug her. Many would feel that was a nice gesture, but the timing of Paula's hug was terrible. It looked like Abdul was desperate for attention herself (and publicity). I've lost what little respect I had for Miss Abdul after that.

Written By: Hairspray on 05/04/04 at 10:36 pm

Diana DeGarmo is a very good singer whether she wins or not. Not bad for a 16 year old.

I predict Fantasia wins. In fact, I bank on it! I hope she does too because regardless of her initial shotty attitude, she seems like a genuinely good person; but most importantly, she can sing with unbridled originality.

Written By: NbC on 05/05/04 at 12:45 am

I am watching the American Idol special right now.  Ok, I wasn't really paying attention to Fantasia's interview but I loved her performance!!! She sang "Summertime" again.  How anyone can watch that and say that she's not good baffles me!!!

That was the only performance she did that I thought was very well done.  Otherwise I really do not like the sound of her voice.  Sorry.  There really isn't anyone in this group that I think stands out talent wise. 

Written By: scarletgail on 05/05/04 at 8:29 am

I loved last nights big band songs.  they all did well but i think latoya(sp?) is the best by far, however fantasia's song brought tears to my eyes :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/05/04 at 9:24 am

I loved last nights big band songs.  they all did well but i think latoya(sp?) is the best by far, however fantasia's song brought tears to my eyes :)

Fantasia sucked.

Once again, she attepted to play the "PC card" by mentioning her child. (OK Fantasia, we get it.  You have child out of wedlock.  We've gotten over it.  Just sing, OK?)  Gimme a break.  :-\

I'm rooting for George Huff, but his voice sounded kind of flat last night.  Can't quite put my finger on it.  I hope he makes it past this stage, 'cause he's my favourite.  8)  But I think that "flatness" (might not be the right term) in his voice is going to increasingly be a hazard to him as the next few weeks wind down.  Hit hits the notes and has great moves and personality.

The Hawaiian girl did what I thought was the worst performance though.  I suspect she gets voted off this time.  Big Band is definitely not her style.

Diane deGarmo was not bad, pretty good in fact.

Latoya was also very good, MUCH better than Fantasia.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/05/04 at 11:34 am

Well, I didn't cry, but I fell in love with another one of Fantasia's performances.  And *AHEM!!!*  I don't see why there's a problem with her loving her daughter and putting her heart into a song because it means something to her.

However, Latoya turned out to be my favorite last night.  I love her class and she really looked and sang like a big entertainer from that era.  I must say, if John Stevens was still there, Latoya would beat him at his own game.

Diana did...ok....she's starting to irritate me though and I'm not sure why.  Maybe it's cuz that goofy grin makes her look like the wife from those enzyte commercials.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/05/04 at 12:54 pm

I did not care for Fantasia's rendition of "Crazy Little Thing Called Love".  I think that was a bad choice.  Her other song was okay, but it didn't 'wow' me.

Diana and Jasmine were good, and LaToya is an exceptional singer, but I think George has a great voice and personality.  He's the one I'm rooting for.  :)

Written By: scarletgail on 05/05/04 at 9:14 pm

well we find out in abit here who is kicked off and i think it will be the hawwian girl and her name totally escapes me at the moment. and yeah i like george alot he's my second choice but i have to go with latoya, i just like her voice, but kelly clarkson is my fav LOL ;D

Written By: Hairspray on 05/06/04 at 1:10 am

I was quite surprised George Huff was voted off before Jasmine. :o She's sure to go next though.

As far as the big band show, I thought La Toya sounded too broadway for my tastes. I like both of Diana's and the last Fantasia performances best. I don't think there's anything wrong with Fantasia giving recognition and dedications to her daughter every time she gets a chance. I'm sure she's very proud of her child and a great number of loving parents would definitely do the same. :)

In response to  LyricBoy:

I don't see where you got that OK Fantasia, we get it.  You have child out of wedlock. message. I don't believe I've heard her say her child is out of wedlock. She could be divorced or a widow for all we know. The term "single parent" is broad and the topic irrelevant.

Written By: NbC on 05/06/04 at 3:18 am

Wow, I can not believe that George Huff was voted off.  Not that I was crazy about his voice but I did like his personality.  Mr. Smiles!!!  I really thought he would hang on for a while longer.  We get our shows a week late so I haven't seen the "Big Band" performances yet.  I am guessing it will be a fight between La Toya and Fantasia.  I just don't see either Diana or Jasmine making to the very end. 

Written By: scarletgail on 05/06/04 at 4:47 am

I was suprized about george too, sheese what's wrong with america this year on thier votes? they all tone deaf or what?

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/06/04 at 11:07 am

In response to  LyricBoy:

I don't see where you got that OK Fantasia, we get it.  You have child out of wedlock. message. I don't believe I've heard her say her child is out of wedlock. She could be divorced or a widow for all we know. The term "single parent" is broad and the topic irrelevant.

Hairspray, in various interviews, etc... Fantasia keeps harping on the kid and how tough it is to be a single mother and how she does NOT want the father around.  The "out of wedlock" part comes out in the stories.  Getting kind of sick of her always referring to the kid, because it is obviously a ploy to gain sympathy for herself.  The topic is relevant because she blabs all about it every time she's interviewed, and blabs on about her kid every time she sings.

I mean, the red-headed kid dedicated one of his songs to his Grandmother.  That's cool.  But if he had done it every time he sang a song it would have been GRATUITOUS and a PLOY, and I'd be saying the same things about him too.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/06/04 at 11:10 am

I've been rooting for George Huff, but I really can not complain that he got eliminated in the Big Band competition.

As I saw it, Jasmine turned in the weakest performance, and George was  sort of "flat" in his BB songs.

I think if George hets himself a voice coach to help him with the "flatness" he might be able to do a couple of records.  Otherwise, he has the looks, "moves", and personality to entertain.

I suspect that Jasmine will be "on the bubble" during next week's Disco Competition.  I think the other 4 will be more comfortable with it than her.

Expect Diane DeGarmo to go all-out in disco comps, and pull out all the stops.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/06/04 at 12:48 pm

Wow, I can not believe that George Huff was voted off.  Not that I was crazy about his voice but I did like his personality.  Mr. Smiles!!!  I really thought he would hang on for a while longer.

I know!  I'm sad now, as he was my favorite!  :(

Written By: BUNNY on 05/06/04 at 5:42 pm

American I dol is beginning to really be the cats meow. IF  voting is messed up it is the person who
can't sing a lick. They would have less criticicsm if they would pick people that can hold a tune or a note.
they are picking the wrong people who pick the wrong kind of song to sing.
They would save themselves the trouble if they chose people that can sing.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/06/04 at 7:15 pm

Yeah I was like WHAT THE CRAP? WHY DID GEORGE GO??? 
But I do think that Jasmine will get voted off next because now that it's all girls, it's easier to compare all the voices.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/13/04 at 7:08 am

Woo Hoo!!!!

Diane DeGarmo kicked butt in the Disco Competition !  Nice work by The Kid.  Disco is definitely her style.

I do think that LaToya got ripped off.  In the Disco comp, she was far-and-away better than Fantasia, who came in "second last".

Written By: onaree on 05/13/04 at 7:18 am

Well, I thought last night's episode was very shocking in many ways.  The first big shock was that my man Clay was on there.  I just love his voice. (There needs to be an emoticon for a drooling face.  Ha!) That's the way a real idol should sound.  The second shock was that Fantasia and LaToya were in the bottom two.  The third shock was that LaToya was the one to go.  At least now she'll be free of American Idol and can sing whatever she wants.  I know she'll get a recording deal. 

Written By: onaree on 05/13/04 at 8:36 am

I agree with you regarding Jasmine.  I really felt bad when she started crying after her second performance.  She did her best and she should've been proud.  She made it to the top four.  Look how many other people she "beat out".  She just needs a little work and she'll be ok.

Written By: Hairspray on 05/13/04 at 9:20 am

I was shocked LaToya was gone, but I think part of it may have to do with (what I view as) a lack of personality. There's not a whole lot that stands-out about her aside from her voice. Then again, maybe that's just my feeling on it.

I must say that I knew Diana was a serious threat to the "dynamic duo", but I never thought in a million years Jasmine would hang on, especially in LaToya's place. :o Diana does have tons of personality though. In an Indian tribe, she'd be called "Smiles A Lot". ;D

I have been wrong in all of my predictions. I'll just throw this out there - Diana will probably win. I would not be surprised in the least at this point.

Many of you are right about how they don't necessarily have to win "Idol" to make it. Clay and Ruben proved that more than anyone else last season.

I also wouldn't be too sad if Fantasia won. She's good too. I almost can't help but like her because she's just darn quirky. Quirky's good; better than no personality.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/13/04 at 9:59 am

I agree with you regarding Jasmine.  I really felt bad when she started crying after her second performance.   She did her best and she should've been proud.  She made it to the top four.  Look how many other people she "beat out".  She just needs a little work and she'll be ok.

Oh please!  Feel sorry for her....that's just the problem!!!
I personally think Jasmine should've been gone a LONG time ago.  The judges know what they're talking about (well, at least Simon and Randy).  She can't stay on pitch.  She does sound like she's in a karaoke bar.  If she hasn't been able to improve much more since the beginning, how do you know if she'll get any better.  The American Idol should be someone who's good NOW...someone with the whole package.....not just a "potential" entertainer.
Why the **** people voted for her over Latoya I just don't get!!!  Is it because she's only 17? Because she's from Hawaii? Because awww....everyone made her cry so let's vote for her to make her feel better?  Or it's probably just that the voters are the same tone-def people who tried to audition for the show.  As far as "personality" goes, maybe Latoya didn't have much, she just always presented herself as a very poised, classy young woman.  But come on, I don't really see a distinct personality in Jasmine either.  She just doesn't have what it takes to be an idol...in my opinion. 
Well, after seeing her reaction last night, she's probably in guilt trip city now and she should be.

Written By: scarletgail on 05/13/04 at 10:01 am

I personally think Jasmine should've been gone a LONG time ago.  The judges know what they're talking about (well, at least Simon and Randy).  She can't stay on pitch.  She does sound like she's in a karaoke bar.  If she hasn't been able to improve much more since the beginning, how do you know if she'll get any better.  The American Idol should be someone who's good NOW...someone with the whole package.....not just a "potential" entertainer.
Why the **** people voted for her over Latoya I just don't get!!!  Is it because she's only 17? Because she's from Hawaii? Because awww....everyone made her cry so let's vote for her to make her feel better?  Or it's probably just that the voters are the same tone-def people who tried to audition for the show.  As far as "personality" goes, maybe Latoya didn't have much, she just always presented herself as a very poised, classy young woman.  But come on, I don't really see a distinct personality in Jasmine either.  She just doesn't have what it takes to be an idol...in my opinion. 
Well, after seeing her reaction last night, she's probably in guilt trip city now and she should be.
I'm ticked off too wtf?

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/13/04 at 1:53 pm

That's really not a nice thing to say!  It can't be easy going up there and doing what all these contestants have been doing for the past I-don't-know-how-many weeks!  I think they all deserve credit!

Written By: Cheetara on 05/13/04 at 2:16 pm

I completely agree.  Jasmine should have been gone a long time ago.  LaTonya has a beautiful voice.  Always, performed like a professional.  Jasmine is merely scoring votes based on sympathy.  She's got a cute voice but NOT good enough to make a career of it.  Then again, if Britney Spears were able to get a recording contract...then so can Jasmine. ::) :-\\  LOL

Written By: Dagwood on 05/13/04 at 3:36 pm

I do think that LaToya got ripped off.  In the Disco comp, she was far-and-away better than Fantasia, who came in "second last".

I agree.  I can't believe LaToya is gone.  Fantasia should have been the one to go out of those two.

Now I am rooting for Diana.

Written By: scarletgail on 05/13/04 at 3:38 pm

I agree.  I can't believe LaToya is gone.  Fantasia should have been the one to go out of those two.

Now I am rooting for Diana.
i'm rooting for diana too :)

Written By: Dagwood on 05/13/04 at 3:39 pm

This isn't a fair thing to say.  It isn't her fault LaToya left last night.  The contestants are at the mercy of the voting public.  People reacted this way aboug John, too and he even received death threats.  It is going too far to blame the contestant because America didn't vote them off. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/13/04 at 5:57 pm

Granted, I'm no expert, but I thought she { Jasmine } did fairly well on her second performance (I missed the first because of my son's baseball game).

Well her first performance was "Everlasting Love", a song that kind of sucks on its own no matter who would sing it.  Her rendition of this "fluff" song was not good.

On the other hand, I thought she did a pretty good job on "It's Raining Men", originally performed by the duo Two Tons of Fun.  She did great moves and hit most of the notes well.  Great energy, too. 

Nevertheless, Diane DeGarmo OWNS the Disco Floor.  8)  Very interesting since she was born 8 years after the end of the disco era, signified by "Disco Demolition Night" at the old Comiskey Park in Chicago.  :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/14/04 at 6:16 am

Is it because she's only 17? Because she's from Hawaii? Because awww....everyone made her cry so let's vote for her to make her feel better? 

Hey, the person who has MASTERED the crying routine and the "feel sorry for me" in interviews is Fantasia.  I think Disco Night may have been one of the first nights she did not cry.  Maybe if she had cried after Simon told her that her second disco song was bad, she would have scored a few more votes.  Or maybe she could have dedicated her performance to her kid again.

I wasn;t thrilled by Jasmine's performance, but the people have spoken and I accept that!  :)

Written By: Claude_Prez on 05/14/04 at 2:44 pm

I think the problem is the voting system.  Jasmine was saved because everyone knew she was gonna leave so everyone in Hawaii voted for her.  No one else looked vulnerable so people didn't bother voting for them; it happens almost every week.  They need to start letting people vote against their least favorite contestant, Survivor-style, to target the weak.  Until they do, regional loyalty will continue to play a much bigger role than it should. 

PS:  If you don't think Fantasia is on a whole different level than everyone else, you're just plain wrong.  I actively dislike her personality but she's the only one who's ever been on that show that I actually look forward to hearing.

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/14/04 at 10:45 pm

Never underestimate the gulibility of the American people. ::) They don't want another black to win the competition (after Reuben) so they get rid of the best singer. And now that Diana DeGarmo has improved (though not enough to get my vote), she might end up the winner. Fantasia is still the best of what's left, Jasmine should be voted off next week or the system needs to be changed. And LaToya will be more successful than Kelly, Reuben and Clay combined. >:(

I wasn;t thrilled by Jasmine's performance, but the people have spoken and I accept that!  :)

Written By: Hairspray on 05/15/04 at 12:09 am

They don't want another black to win the competition (after Reuben) so they get rid of the best singer.

LaToya being the best singer is your opinion. In my opinion, Fantasia and Diana are just as good. That's beside the point though. The issue I have with the above comment is that it implies non-existing racism; it is not evident in any way during the shows.

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/15/04 at 12:13 am

You are entitled to your opinion, Hairspray. But unfortunately, racism still does exist, maybe not on American Idol, but anywhere else in the US. As for me, there's no such thing as an infallible poll. :(

LaToya being the best singer is your opinion. In my opinion, Fantasia and Diana are just as good. That's beside the point though. The issue I have with the above comment is that it implies non-existing racism; it is not evident in any way during the shows.

Written By: Hairspray on 05/15/04 at 12:17 am

Never underestimate the gulibility of the American people. ::) They don't want another black to win the competition...

Ah, I get it. Besides the ill generalization that the American people are gullible, it's also the American people to whom you were referring in reference to them not wanting another black to win the competition. :-X

???

That's just wrong.

Written By: Hairspray on 05/15/04 at 12:24 am

unfortunately, racism still does exist...

It's sad to even suggest the issue of racism present in this type of entertainment subject. :-\\

Someone earlier mentioned regional voting being a major factor in the polling. I agree that to be the major contributor to the results of the show. Some people have more enthusiastic fans than others. That's all.

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/15/04 at 12:39 am

Well, if this contest is judged solely on a singer's fan base, then it's not a contest based on quality. I agree with Simon that judging should be based on the singer's talent. But if they want to sell cds, then they should go by the public who'll buy anything no matter how putrid it is. That is why I will probably cease from watching the show after this season.

It's sad to even suggest the issue of racism present in this type of entertainment subject. :-\\

Someone earlier mentioned regional voting being a major factor in the polling. I agree that to be the major contributor to the results of the show. Some people have more enthusiastic fans than others. That's all.

Written By: Hairspray on 05/15/04 at 12:43 am

they should go by the public...

They do. That is why the public, the viewers, call in with their votes. The public is ultimately deciding who wins.

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/15/04 at 12:51 am

My point is you shouldn't automatically buy what the public buys. I haven't bought a Top Ten album in ages. I used to buy what was popular. Then I grew up. The target audience this program is geared at doesn't care about quality anymore. I still like the albums I bought in the 80s and 90s. American Idol just isn't for adults.

They do. That is why the public, the viewers, call in with their votes. The public is ultimately deciding who wins.

Written By: Hairspray on 05/15/04 at 12:58 am

The show was created to give unknowns a starting point and an arena in which to gain exposure and develop. Sure, the general public (kids and adults alike) eventually decide their fate week by week; but whether the contestants win or lose, they were granted that precious opportunity for exposure which is difficult to come by for the average unknown artist and the absolute key to success in the industry. They are all winners just for being on the show. :)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/16/04 at 11:56 pm

They are all winners just for being on the show. :)

I totally agree!  It takes guts to get up and do what they've been doing. :)

Written By: NbC on 05/17/04 at 12:29 am

Considering how many people tried out for the competition...just being selected was a Big Win!!!  No one leaves a loser. 

By the way, I can not believe that LaToya was voted out either.  I haven't seen that episode yet.  Who knows why people stay and why some go. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/17/04 at 6:34 am

Considering how many people tried out for the competition...just being selected was a Big Win!!!  No one leaves a loser. 

By the way, I can not believe that LaToya was voted out either.  I haven't seen that episode yet.  Who knows why people stay and why some go. 

LaToya was not "voted out".  You can not "vote out" people on American Idol.  You can only vote FOR somebody.

Instead, MORE people voted for Diane, Jasmine, and Fontoosia than LaToya.

If we believe all this "racism" talk, then we have to ask how JPL, John Stevens, and the Opera Singer guy, all white, got voted off before LaToya.  If racism were driving the votes, all the minorities would have been gone a few weeks ago.  :-\\

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/17/04 at 12:27 pm

I sometimes wonder if the people voting thought that perhaps LaToya 'had it made' already (meaning she would come out ahead in the votes), and voted instead for the underdog.  :-\\

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/17/04 at 5:00 pm

I saw posted on the 'Net the following vote tallies:

Diane      : 9.2 million
Jasmine  : 9 million
Fontoosia : 5.5 million
LaToya    : 5.2 miillion

The discrepancy between LaToya and Jasmine was HUGE.  But Hawaii is not to blame.  The news accounts said that something like 1.5 million votes IN TOTAL were cast from Hawaii.  Even if every single Hawaiian vote was for Jasmine, that still would not explain the landslide vote for Jazzy.

This week shall be interesting.

Written By: whistledog on 01/04/07 at 2:27 am

I notice Taylor Hicks' album is not producing any hits.  Could it be a disappointment?  I bet McPhee's album will sell real well.  Lots of lonely guys will buy it ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/04/07 at 12:21 pm

I notice Taylor Hicks' album is not producing any hits.  Could it be a disappointment?  I bet McPhee's album will sell real well.  Lots of lonely guys will buy it ;D

You hardly even hear of Taylor Hicks.  The only ones that are really popular now are Kelly Clarkson, Clay Aiken, and Carrie Underwood.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/04/07 at 12:38 pm

I miss "The Gong Show."  It was much more succinct.  You don't need a panel of catty critics chewing out contestants.  Just hit the gong, git outta here!
::)

Written By: whistledog on 01/04/07 at 2:17 pm

I miss "The Gong Show."  It was much more succinct.  You don't need a panel of catty critics chewing out contestants.  Just hit the gong, git outta here!

Ryan Seacrest could be the new Chuck Barris perhaps?

Nah, Seacrest doesn't look like an International Spy.  Then again, neither did Chuck ::) ;D

Written By: whistledog on 01/04/07 at 2:18 pm

You hardly even hear of Taylor Hicks.  The only ones that are really popular now are Kelly Clarkson, Clay Aiken, and Carrie Underwood.

Perhaps Taylor Hicks will be a flash in the pan like Fantasia and Ruben Studdard were. 

You never know ... successful for a breif period, then it's off the charts and onto The Surreal Life ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/04/07 at 5:54 pm

The woman who cuts my hair has a daughter who "makes it through to Hollywood" in this coming season of Idol.  8)

I can't wait to see her audition on TV  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/01/07 at 10:55 pm

did you guys see/hear about the 60some year old guy that was able to audition, in memory of his wife who had just passed away days before the audition, of cancer?  I watched the clip online, and Paula was sobbing. It was very touching.

Written By: whistledog on 02/01/07 at 10:58 pm

did you guys see/hear about the 60some year old guy that was able to audition, in memory of his wife who had just passed away days before the audition, of cancer?  I watched the clip online, and Paula was sobbing. It was very touching.

I saw that.  It was very sad yes :\'(

Written By: Marian on 02/02/07 at 1:39 pm

I liked Sherman.I'm glad he petitioned to get in.Did you get a load of some of theos e younger contestants who didn't make the cut?Like that girl whose mom was a singer?The girl seemed pretty sincere that her singing was good,but it wasn't!then she starts begging them for another chance.Then her mom tried to influence the judges.They did explain they didn't care how pretty she was,she just wsasn't good.And that Phuong girl also thought she was good,and was pretty upset the judges didn't think so.man,are these girls deaf or somnething???? :PAnd that guy who thinks he's a stud because he acts like a cat!I'm not surprised Simon gets exasperated!

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 02/02/07 at 3:03 pm

OMG, I bawled like a baby when he was singing, I can't say that I blame Paula for that one.....

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 02/02/07 at 3:04 pm

The woman who cuts my hair has a daughter who "makes it through to Hollywood" in this coming season of Idol.  8)

I can't wait to see her audition on TV  :)
Cool.  *Ferris Bueller moment*:  my friend's, brother's, girlfriend's cousin made it to the final 24.  Her name is Lindsey and she's from St. Charles, IL 8)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/02/07 at 11:44 pm

Oh, that sweet old dude!  Next time I go to traffic court or a job interview or something, I think I'll say, "Sorry, I'm late, I just got back from identifying my wife at the morgue.  Now, about this ticket, your honor..."

Written By: Sister Morphine on 02/03/07 at 1:48 am

Oh, that sweet old dude!  Next time I go to traffic court or a job interview or something, I think I'll say, "Sorry, I'm late, I just got back from identifying my wife at the morgue.  Now, about this ticket, your honor..."

I take it you think he was full of crap.  Good to know.

Check for new replies or respond here...