inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: women in music today

Written By: sarah_duranna:) on 04/28/04 at 7:26 pm

i am truly offended by how women singers are being represented these days.  i remember in the '90s you had people like shawn colvin, sheryl crow, sarah mcglaughlin, meredith brooks and alanis morrisette, who all kicked mutha' ass, and they gained alot of respect from the industry!  and let us not forget "lilth fair"!  i mean, we females were up their slamming on our guitars, and rockin' it with all the boys!!!  it was great!!!

a decade later......we're back to being submissive little sex objects.........always having to take off our clothes, and perform simulated sex acts on stage.  and we all have one person to thank for it...........b-r-i-t-n-e-y-m-u-t-h-a'-f-'n-s-p-e-a-r-s!!!!!  ever since she came out with her cute little midriff and the uniform and the boobies, she was all anybody could talk about!  and now it's all britney-this/britney-that!  i mean, nothing she does is real!  it's all fake!  her singing is sh**!  her music is sh**!  her entire image is sh**!  meanwhile, you get these really great female singers like avril lavigne, michelle brach and joss stone who are coming up now, and they aren't getting the respect they so deserve!  sure, they write their own material and play their own instruments, and sing really great, but does anybody pay any attention to them?!  NO!!  it's all about britney poopin' spears getting married, or kissing madonna, or having sex onstage.......enough with her crap, already!!  and what really gets my goat is when i once heard this guy talking about "rocker chicks", and the person that he mentioned was BRITNEY SPEARS!!!!!!  UUUUUUHHHHHHH!!!!!!!  nothing she does is even close to being rock!  and, the other one, christina aguilera.......what a ho!!!  with her black hair, and her pierced p***y!!!!  what is she trying to proove here?!?!?!  so, thanks to these two sluts, women singers are right back where they started from!!!!  THANK YOU BRITNEY & CHRISTINA!!!!!!  REALLY APPRECIATE YOU TARNISHING THE IMAGE OF WOMEN IN MUSIC FOR-EVAH!!!!!! CAN'T THANK YOU BIMBOS ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Subject: Re: women in music today

Written By: Cheetara on 04/29/04 at 9:16 am

I agree.  Women nowadays feel that the only way to be accepted into the music industry is to bare it all.  Look at Janet Jackson for instance...I adore her but I wanted to SLAP her for that Superbowl stunt.  I wanted to SLAP Justin Timberlake as well...after all he was involved with the stint. 

Janet is almost 40 yrs old...it's like come on...you have established YOUR career why do you feel the need to compete with the Britney Spears...Christina Aguilera's...of the world.   The same goes for Madonna...honey...you're older now you have established YOUR career as well.  Madonna should realize that Britney and Christina are trying to do what Madonna DID in the 80s and early 90s. 

Women...we are much more than skimpy outfits....stilettos...pouty lips...we are human beings who deserve and demand respect!

Written By: Erin on 04/29/04 at 10:19 am

I am totally for women musicains but they should not be portrayed as sex symbols!  We are smart, funny and intelligent creatures with much more to offer than our bodies!

Written By: NullandVoid on 04/29/04 at 2:40 pm

I hope this doesn't come out the wrong way BUT....

I personally do not give a flying F--- what Britney does on stage, I don't care that Janet wants to flash people at forty. Those women do not represent me or anything that I stand for. If people wanna buy their music so be it, I won't. I can't understand why people get so worked up over this, especially the Janet thing. (so what, it was just a boob)

With all due respect the people that are responsibile for making Britney rich are Young teenaged GIRLS...not people staring at her belly or hip gyrations.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/29/04 at 2:51 pm

I personally do not give a flying F--- what Britney does on stage, I don't care that Janet wants to flash people at forty. Those women do not represent me or anything that I stand for. If people wanna buy their music so be it, I won't. I can't understand why people get so worked up over this, especially the Janet thing. (so what, it was just a boob)

With all due respect the people that are responsibile for making Britney rich are Young teenaged GIRLS...not people staring at her belly or hip gyrations.
VERY well said, NullandVoid....especially that last part about GIRLS buying thier crap! I'd just like to add that "J-LOW" is also a terd...it's her clothing line for basically little kids that has 10 year olds looking like whores ::)

Written By: Junior on 04/29/04 at 5:13 pm

I totally agree.

Meanwhile, I'm disappointed with the quality of the "rockin'" women. Avril Lavigne is the biggest disappointment to come to mind (contrary to belief, she CANNOT play guitar). I do believe that Joss Stone and Shakira (yes, Shakira) and a few others have great talent, though.

Written By: resinchaser on 04/29/04 at 5:37 pm

Of course Avril Lavigne doesn't rock! She's a POP star. You wanna listen to women who rock then turn off the MTV, tune out your radio and go to a show. On any given week I can go to a hole in the wall venue and listen a number of fine female musicians.

There are plenty of women who rock. You're just not listening in the right places. Strong women artists like Ani Difranco, Melissa Auf De Maur, Brody Armstrong are everywhere. Instead of sitting there whining about how Britney and Christina have ruined your image, pick up a guitar and do something for yourself.

Written By: Bobby on 04/29/04 at 6:57 pm

I see nothing wrong with what these sex objects are doing - as long as they don't expect me to buy their tat. It seems that the more flesh women show, the more they are trying to sell their mediocre records.

'I'm taking clothes off . . . You can see my nipple . . . Buy my CD Album priced 12.99 at all good music stores'

Men have more sense than that.  :D

Written By: Dagwood on 04/29/04 at 7:47 pm

Well said!

Written By: My name is Kenny on 04/30/04 at 9:06 pm

If you're upset you're not seeing more female rock stars on the tube anymore, blame it on Sarah McLachlan.  Somehow, with Lilith Fair, she managed to turn being a female rock star into a trend. 

Flesh-flashing pop stars aren't anything new; it's just that the rock stars have disappeared.  Like I said, I blame it on Sarah McLachlan, but let's see what rock stars we have today:

Pink.  Rebelled against pop-star image, but really only succeeded in making her a bigger popstar, just with guitars in the background.  Diverse influences, which add up to nothing but crap if you ask me.  Not above showing flesh (see Lady Marmalade video).  Probably not a good role model.

Sheryl Crow.  Doing more the country thing lately.  Past the peak of her career but still making hits.  Not above showing flesh (see spread in Stuff magazine).

Jewel.  Never convincingly rocked, but at least some cred, which she blew completely with her last album.  Terrible poet, occasionally a passable lyricist.  No longer above showing flesh (see Intuition video).  Never really liked her before, but hate her now. 

Michelle Branch.  One of hot new teen songwriters.  Boring lyricist, but getting better.  Not above showing flesh (see spread in Maxim). 

Avril Lavigne.  If this is the girl holding up the banner for female rock, it's in big big trouble.  Writes terrible lyrics.  Can't play an instrument, despite assertions to the contrary.  Probable flash in the pan.

Amy Lee from Evanescence.  Hit the scene with Bring Me to Life, one of the most unintentionally silliy rock songs since Sk8er Boi.  Tori Amos meets Linkin Park sound.  Current hit song is something about tears, wounds that won't heal, and other cliches.  Probably a flash in the pan. 

Gwen Stefani:  Releasing solo album.  Moving more towards pop, drifting away from rock.  Don't anticipate good things coming from her.

Courtney Love:  Releases critically derided solo albums and quickly drops from sight, except for the numerous court cases of course.

Not a very inspiring crowd.  The best female rock stars right now are semi-famous but not really household names, like The Donnas, Brody Armstrong from The Distillers, Karen O. from the Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

Written By: AL-B on 05/01/04 at 12:06 am

I'm with Kenny. The Donnas, IMHO, are making some of the most kick*ss rock'n roll I've heard in quite some time. These fine young ladies rock harder than the vast majority of these so-called "pop-punk" groups, which in most cases are really nothing more than boy bands with guitars.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/01/04 at 8:54 am

VERY well said, NullandVoid....especially that last part about GIRLS buying thier crap! I'd just like to add that "J-LOW" is also a terd...it's her clothing line for basically little kids that has 10 year olds looking like whores ::)

J-LOW is getting REALLY nasty looking these days.(Moreso than usual)  The loss of Benuflect must have driven her to madness.

Saw her on "Will and Grace" and her butt is bigger than ever.  If it were any bigger they would have to have given it its own episode!  :o  The dress thay had her in only accentuated the size of that thang.  :-\

Written By: zcrito on 05/01/04 at 4:01 pm

Good post, sarah_duranna:)

What you said is true.
Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera I guess get alot of attention because of how they (or their "handlers") market them. It worked for Madonna. Madonna never really made it out of the '80s (except for 1998's "Ray of Light" ) but managed to keep her name out there by being "slutty". And the fact that Britney and Christina are attractive helps too.

It's sad but some people like and respect the "bad girl/slutty" image in music and in movies. It especially works with people who give out awards, determine who or what goes on television, etc. And it works not just with men, but women too.

For all the attention they get, what little appeal I have for them amounts to mere seconds of some of their songs.. 

With Britney Spears it's just parts of "Sometimes" (1999). For Christina Aguilera, she's not doing much better with me; just parts of "Beautiful" (2002). Her faux-black female singing voice annoys me.

Other female singers could easily be put in the same group with Britney and Christina. Alanis Morissette, Tori Amos, Jennifer Lopez and Fiona Apple come to mind.

Question: Where would someone like Mariah Carey fit in with you?

Again, good post. It's nice to see people questioning what they see and hear.

:D

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/01/04 at 5:20 pm

Don't forget Bouncy, who claims to be shy and religious, all the while shaking her booty and rack all over the TV screen.

The more booty shaking, the less talent is there.

Written By: Howard on 05/01/04 at 6:14 pm

I think Madonna changed.20 years ago,her songs would always influence guys to have sex and do risque stuff but today,she doesn't do any of that.I'm glad! :)

Howard

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/02/04 at 10:36 am

I think Madonna changed.20 years ago,her songs would always influence guys to have sex and do risque stuff but today,she doesn't do any of that.I'm glad! :)

Howard

Now that Madonna is converting to Kabbalah Judaism, she must be calming down.

;D

Written By: Howard on 05/02/04 at 4:33 pm

Howard

;D

Those were some hot videos.My favorite was Lucky Star where she lies down and shows her belly button. :D That was such a good feeling I had. ;D

Howard

Written By: BUNNY on 05/05/04 at 4:54 pm

I agree with you about women in music. Britney may have made it bad for women. But there are other women singers who
play a nice major role for women. ALICIA KEYES, CARLY SIMON, AND OTHERS. Don''t let Britney ruin your view of Women Singers. THERE ARE A lot that really hold their own. Sheryl Crow Shania TWAIN, Pink, Alicia Keyes.

Written By: Im Batman on 05/05/04 at 5:24 pm

Why isn't Joan Osborne a major, world wide superstar yet?  Get your act together America and develop some taste.

Written By: goodsin on 05/06/04 at 12:46 pm

;D

I can't imagine so. Once she gets inside the numerology bit, it'll spanner her head & we'll have "song for sephiroth" come xmas, and "binah ray of light" shortly afterwards, before she's admitted for psychiatric treatment in the New Year...which she'll probably go back to the States for. In fact, might not be a bad thing...joining her would be a hell of an opportunity for a publicity stunt for a failing Britney, though ...

Written By: alana on 05/06/04 at 2:41 pm

I hate the music today!!! even the no-talents are marketed to look like sluts!!! >:(

Written By: Layce on 05/06/04 at 3:32 pm

In my point of view, the excuse of these " entertainers ', that they are driven to look as they're told to, is not convincing.  I can name a very very few of REAL SINGERS and musicians who do not rely on their physical looks to gain fans.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/06/04 at 4:23 pm

J-LOW is getting REALLY nasty looking these days.(Moreso than usual)  The loss of Benuflect must have driven her to madness.

Saw her on "Will and Grace" and her butt is bigger than ever.  If it were any bigger they would have to have given it its own episode!  :o  The dress thay had her in only accentuated the size of that thang.  :-\
Yeah, I wonder if she'll go rolling back to Puff-Diddy-Gang-Bang anytime soon ::)

Written By: SmithsGirl on 05/06/04 at 5:47 pm

J-LOW is getting REALLY nasty looking these days

Is getting nasty? She IS nasty. She has no respect for the sanctity of marriage.

SmithsGirl

Written By: SmithsGirl on 05/06/04 at 5:50 pm

Saw her on "Will and Grace"

Oh ya, I saw that episode too and wtf was up with her hair? It looked like a crusty bird nest.

SmithsGirl

Written By: pennsygirl on 05/06/04 at 7:12 pm

We had so many talented women in music back in the '80's, Pat Benatar, Deborah Harry, Chrissie Hynde, Cyndi Lauper and none of these women had to take their clothes off to obtain the fame they had.  They had real talent.  Nowadays, all you have to do is take your clothes off, writhe around the stage moaning and panting and you're an overnight star.  I wonder if any of these women have stopped to think what they are going to do when they get too old for this stuff?  Heaven knows they have no talent to rely on.
Britney did an interview in NY back in the winter at a local radio station. Her handlers told all the staff at the station they had to close their office doors when Britney came down the hall because she wanted no  one looking at her as she passed.  When she got to the room where they interviewed her, her handlers put masking tape on the floor all around her and no one was aloud to step over the lines they had made with the tape, no one was allowed too close to her.  The DJ that did the interview was spitting nalis the next day when he told listeners what happened behind the scenes.  But then also told listeners that the station would continue to play her music.  What kind of talent do these women think they have?  Are they really that delusional?

Written By: Howard on 05/06/04 at 8:15 pm

I hope Britney one day goes the way of the path that Madonna is now(2004)

Howard

Written By: Fred on 05/06/04 at 9:59 pm

Avril is just another image, like Britney Spears. In an attempt to make more money, the good people at your local record company take a good-looking preppy girl, and turn her into a "punk". But in reality she's just another pop star who makes money from the 10 year old girls who buy her music and dress like her.  :P

Written By: Colleen on 05/06/04 at 11:38 pm

Shirley Manson was the queen of 90s rock

and she's coming to reclaim her throne!

the new Garbage album will be out soon

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/07/04 at 9:25 am

IMO the only women mentioned in this thread who deserve praise are Norah Jones, Shirley Manson and Gwen Stefani.  They are true to themselves and it shows in their music.

The problem is that those other women are "entertainers", not musicians. 

A list of these poor misguided souls...

Britney and Christina obviously believe that sexuality = maturity, since the older they get, the less they wear.

Joss Stone isn't horrible, but the way she stretches a note to sound old and soulful is pathetic.

And poor Avril...  Some record exec. told her she was punk, and she, being 12, believed them.

Courtney Hole is just a train wreck.  Not punk, just awful

And JLow?  I won't even touch that one with a cattle prod.

Written By: Howard on 05/07/04 at 11:56 am

I kinda like Macy Gray! She will go far! :D

Howard

Written By: tv on 05/08/04 at 10:53 pm

I think good women artists are like Teena Marie, Sheryl Crow, Mary J. Blige, Toni Braxton, Sarah Maclachlin, Alicia Keys, and Norah Jones. Those women have talent. Britney Spears has no talent in my opinion. I could care less about what Janet Jackson dird during the Super Bowl. That was how many months ago now? Come on time to let it pass already. I do like some Janet Jackson songs. About Amy Lee of Evansence she's a talented woman(comparing her to Avril Lavigne are you serious?)

Written By: Bobby on 05/09/04 at 7:09 pm

I kinda like Macy Gray! She will go far! :D

The further the better, Howard.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 05/10/04 at 9:01 pm

The further the better, Howard.  ;)

She has that funky voice with a touch of Tina Turner.

Howard

Written By: gumbypiz on 05/10/04 at 9:18 pm

Maybe we should be aware that the problem is with the popular women in music today.

I've said this before, and I know I'm beating a dead horse, but if you're looking for talent, taste, imagination or creativity in/on MTV like video stations, or commercial rock (Clear Channel & their clones) radio you are going to be disappointed in the "music" they pump out.

So, don't be surprised at the likes of J-Lo, Britteny, Christina, Courtney Love Hole, or Mariah Scarey and the bile the call music.
They are commercial entities continually exaggerated, exploited and pimped by the industry. Respect for females or women & integrity for artistic talent and creativity in general be damned.

Like others have said, there are plenty of bona fide female artists out there that are trying to make a difference...Pink (don't like her music, but has my respect), Alica Keys, Joss Stone (yes, she tries too hard, but she dose have talent), PJ Harvey is still thrashing about and there are many more. They just aren't selling their souls to the industry machine...don't give up on them yet.

Written By: chaka on 05/24/05 at 9:56 am

meanwhile, you get these really great female singers like avril lavigne, michelle brach and joss stone who are coming up now, and they aren't getting the respect they so deserve!  sure, they write their own material and play their own instruments, and sing really great, but does anybody pay any attention to them?!  NO!! 

ARE YOU SERIOUS???Avril and talent??Wtf
Avril's only popular because she's supposed to be "anti-pop";what a load of sh*t.She's pop herself.And she CAN'T play her own instrument!!!
She doesn't even know what punk is!!I can't stand her.How can you call her a "great female singer"??
Apart from that I totally agree with you though

Written By: whistledog on 12/02/05 at 12:52 pm

Alot of the international female singers of today are great:

Lara McAllen
Dannii Minogue
Kylie Minogue
Therese
Karen Danzig
Rachel McFarlane
Karen Parry
Kelly Llorenna
Natasha Bedingfield
Delta Goodrem

Written By: Harmonica on 12/02/05 at 5:24 pm

Written By: Electric Youth on 12/02/05 at 7:17 pm

[quote author=whis

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/04/05 at 2:56 am

The only genres in which women are marketed as singing porn stars are pop and hip-hop, exemplfied by Britney Spears and Lil' Kim.  The sex is not nearly as offensive to me as the inanity!

I don't really see the same thing in hard rock, country, folk, jazz, or classical.
Of course, there are a lot of female jazz musicians who will strut it if they got it.  There's a sub-genre I call "cleavage jazz."

Written By: Cafe80s on 12/04/05 at 7:10 am

Written By: Cafe80s on 12/04/05 at 10:04 am

Maybe we should be aware that the problem is with the popular women in music today.

I've said this before, and I know I'm beating a dead horse, but if you're looking for talent, taste, imagination or creativity in/on MTV like video stations, or commercial rock (Clear Channel & their clones) radio you are going to be disappointed in the "music" they pump out.

So, don't be surprised at the likes of J-Lo, Britteny, Christina, Courtney Love Hole, or Mariah Scarey and the bile the call music.
They are commercial entities continually exaggerated, exploited and pimped by the industry. Respect for females or women & integrity for artistic talent and creativity in general be damned.

Like others have said, there are plenty of bona fide female artists out there that are trying to make a difference...Pink (don't like her music, but has my respect), Alica Keys, Joss Stone (yes, she tries too hard, but she dose have talent), PJ Harvey is still thrashing about and there are many more. They just aren't selling their souls to the industry machine...don't give up on them yet.

Yep PJ Harvey i'll agree with, saw her live by accidenent in the 90s after sneaking into a music festival with friends for fun. That music festival happened to be The Big Day Out (a big deal in Australia) & her & her band were the best thing at The Big Day Out. Liked her earlier albums like Rid Of You much better though, they were much rawer & the music had more guts to it.

Written By: SAM-Indonesia on 12/05/05 at 12:24 am

Norah Jones is a good example as far as I know. She is a jazz musician and Sheryl Crow is a female-rocker.They are 'the right person in the right place' no further comment!

Check for new replies or respond here...