inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When I was a teenager...(and if i still am.)

Written By: Erin on 04/29/04 at 1:20 pm

I am a 15 year old girl and I love to hear stories about when other people were my age so I thought it would be fun if there was a place where everyone could just talk about what happened to them or is currently happening to them if they are still teens.  I'll start out.  I ran into a pole a few weeks ago while driving my brothers pick-up.  He was teaching me how to drive.  Oh well, it was minimal damage.  I also enjoy terrorizing my friends and boyfriend.  Im not stupid, I know that I'll look back on being a teen and remember all the good times.  Why worry about my hair, make-up, and other "important" stuff.  Angst is not my thing.  P.S.  If your wondering, I'm gothic.  But don't be scared...I gave up sacraficing humans a month ago.  ;D

Subject: Re: When I was a teenager...(and if i still am.)

Written By: BUNNY on 05/06/04 at 5:50 pm

When I was a teenager I drove my mom nuts with the type of music that I listen to. I loved Rock and Roll and
metal musice mostly. My favorite bands were Led ZEPPLIN, QUEEN. KISS, THE WHO, AEROSMITH, and then there were
the other bands JOURNEY, Foreighner,.
  Well some of my favorites are still playing what makes it nice is that I am getting older just like they are but
I act like a teenager when I see them on the video or tv,or live because you can't help that its a nice feeling when you are young
and to be a kid at heart. So if you are a teen enjoy those years while you can. IT' the ones you cherish the most

Written By: SmithsGirl on 05/06/04 at 5:54 pm

My teens sucked. My parents got divorced thus I turned into a sh**head. I spent most of junior high and high school skipping class to go hang out and smoke weed.   :-\\

SmithsGirl

Written By: Fred on 05/06/04 at 8:46 pm

Back in my day, I had to walk 15 miles to school, uphill both ways through three feet of snow with no shoes, do my homework on a shovel, get up at two in the morning to feed the animals....blah blah blah.

...Anybody's parents told you this crap?  ::)

Well I am a teen, and I really have no memory of doing anything extrordinary.  :( And SmithsGirl pretty much described most of my peers.  :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/07/04 at 12:01 am

My teens sucked. My parents got divorced thus I turned into a sh**head. I spent most of junior high and high school skipping class to go hang out and smoke weed.   :-\\

SmithsGirl

Me too!  ...AND listen to The Smiths!

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 05/07/04 at 12:41 am

Back in my day, I had to walk 15 miles to school, uphill both ways through three feet of snow with no shoes, do my homework on a shovel, get up at two in the morning to feed the animals....blah blah blah.

...Anybody's parents told you this crap?  ::)

Well I am a teen, and I really have no memory of doing anything extrordinary.  :( And SmithsGirl pretty much described most of my peers.  :P

:)

LOL!  This kid already beat me to making a cynical post about topics like these.

8)

Written By: Jessica on 05/07/04 at 11:06 am

Let's see....teenage years...

I had to deal with relatives getting shot and killed or stabbed and laid up in the hospital, friends dying in accidents, a bout of depression that almost did me in, the fact that I hated school and never went, getting high, drinking at school and in general, fighting with my parents, becoming a thief for about a year to make extra money, fighting with my best friend over a worthless guy, moving three times, having to take care of my sister while my mom was in the hospital for major surgery, and so on.

I'm not saying it was supremely bad like that though. It was laced with good moments, like when my friends and I would go to the amusement park, to the movies, to the mall. Or when my cousin and I would just take off for a mini road trip. Or when I went to a big concert at the HP Pavilion.

Now you've got me reminiscing about my teenage years. :)

Written By: oddxsocks on 05/07/04 at 5:49 pm

i turned sixteen last month, so i'm still in my teen years.  i guess that besides my random obsessions and such, i do most of the typical thing other people my age do...hang out with friends, the mall, school dances, parties, and generally not like my parents because they don't understand me. :)

Written By: Rush on 05/07/04 at 6:01 pm

I was a teenager and I still am!  ;D

Written By: Fred on 05/07/04 at 9:07 pm

:)

LOL!  This kid already beat me to making a cynical post about topics like these.

8)

lol  :D

Written By: Chrisrj on 05/08/04 at 9:45 pm

When I was 15(1995), I actually was into Disney stuff more than my peers :o  I just thought they seemed better than most people assumed they were. 
-Of course by 1999, my interests dropped to "moderate fan"(Sabrina the Animated Series?? GMAB!).
I was also at the same time into Beavis & Butthead, and Ren & Stimpy.
For fun, I never hung out with friends much, cuz I was always branded a nerd, so noone wanted to be seen with me... a few people I know liked me enough still, but I was too nervous to try and socialize with even them.  So I usually stayed home, watched cartoons, drew comics and played video games.

Written By: Fred on 05/08/04 at 10:08 pm

When I was 15(1995), I actually was into Disney stuff more than my peers :o   I just thought they seemed better than most people assumed they were. 
-Of course by 1999, my interests dropped to "moderate fan"(Sabrina the Animated Series?? GMAB!).
I was also at the same time into Beavis & Butthead, and Ren & Stimpy.
For fun, I never hung out with friends much, cuz I was always branded a nerd, so noone wanted to be seen with me... a few people I know liked me enough still, but I was too nervous to try and socialize with even them.  So I usually stayed home, watched cartoons, drew comics and played video games.

It's hard to get a girl when branded a nerd.  >:(

Written By: Howard on 05/09/04 at 12:27 pm

I was a teenager and I still am!  ;D

I was a teenager 15 years ago. ;D

Howard

Written By: hoogbest on 06/03/04 at 8:13 am

My teen years were great. For me growing up in the 50s was just as they picture it on Happy Days and Father Knows best. No sense in elaborating. If you've seen those shows and shows like them you know what I mean. Having been there I can tell you it was real and wonderful......thanks Mom and Dad......I love and miss you.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 06/03/04 at 1:43 pm

Let's see...

Early teen years: All about feeling so important because you're finally a "teen."
Mid teen years: Parents say "You can't go to prom.  You can't go to the homecoming dance.  Do their parents smoke? Or drink? If they do, you can't go over to their house.  No this. No that..."  Well, you get the picture.
Late teen years (aka right now): Parents say "Behave yourself."  Unfortunately for them, they both went to Bob Jones University so I guess they have no idea what goes on in a real college.  :P

Written By: bj26 on 06/03/04 at 1:55 pm

I was a loner and a rebel, and I vagabonded around but always had one job or another.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/03/04 at 4:15 pm

Hi Erin,
When I was a teenager, back in the dark ages, I walked three miles to school in six feet of snow, up hill, both ways  ;)  No really, I hated being in high school.  It was such a drag.  I couldn't wait to go to college.  My parants were great - gave me lots of freedom, and helped me through my stupidity when they had to - also made me pay for it.  Dating was always bitter/sweet, and those damn hormones!!!  What a messed up time.  The problem, as I now remember and understand it, was being me, an individual, and fitting in with others.  If I have any wisdom about this (as a former teen and a father of 4 former teens) it would be to be yourself, allow youself to grow, and don't just follow the crowd.  Think, read, explore, and actively elicit the support of your parants, assuming that you have a functional family.  Good luck youngin'.  Enjoy your teens and let the burduns of the vworld rest on older shoulders for the present - but do keep up on, and be involved in the world around you.

Berst wishes,

Tio Don Carlos

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/03/04 at 4:23 pm

Now that I read the rest of the posts here I see someone else used my joke first - oh wellll.  Lots of what I read strikes home in one way or another, but I would say that if your parants TRY to uinderstand you (and if they didn't go to BJU) than you need to reach out to them too, while at the same time establishing your independance. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/03/04 at 5:52 pm

Well, they say the older you get, the farther you had to walk, the steeper the hill, and the deeper the snow gets.  ;) ;D

Cat

Written By: conker on 06/04/04 at 1:08 pm

When I was a teen in the late 70's early 80's I cared about high school sports, parties, the very remote chance I might have sex, playing in my rock band and driving my snow machine (Ski-Doo Citation 3800)  to and from school and on dates with my now wife.

Written By: Cheetara on 06/04/04 at 3:13 pm

When I was a teenager...

In high school, I was a misfit...a rebel...an outcast...  So I formed my own "clique"  aka "The Misfits"  which was derived from the cartoon Jem & The Holograms.  The rival chickies were known as The Misfits. 

I was teased for listening to Run DMC one minute then listening to Depeche Mode the next minute.  I honestly didn't care (still don't) what people think. 

My group were made up of all the rejects.  It was totally cool because we ruled because we didn't give a flying f%ck!  Excuse my french.  8)

Written By: tv on 06/05/04 at 11:37 pm

Lets see when I was a teenager(age 15)I used to listen to music at night(97.5 pst out a of Philly was the station I listened to that time.) I was really quiet and to myself socially in my freshman year of high school. I had alot of stuff I went through..I don't fell like going through elaborating through my High School years. I really had to change up my style(wear baggy pants and larger shirts) to be like the other kids and be accepted. I remember driving a couple to school in my senior year of high school.

Written By: Echo Nomad on 04/04/06 at 1:54 am

Hey, my mom actually DID walk uphill both ways a mile to the bus stop.  She lived out in the boondocks (their house was in the middle of a hill) and the bus picked her up and dropped her off at 2 different places.  So, in the morning, she walked up the hill to catch the bus at the top of the hill and in the afternoon, the bus dropped her off at the bottom of the hill.

Believe it or not, I had a little bit of that experience all through HS. I lived a 1 1\2 from High School which I had to walk to almost every day through those 4 years which equaled 3 miles a day.

I spent my 15th year in 1991-1992. Involved a lot of Flannel, Video Games, backward baseball caps, tightrolls, starter jackets and basketball shoes, and handy dandy pagers! Egads, saying pager instead of cell phone sounds about the same as saying electric typewriters!

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/04/06 at 9:43 am

My teen years were great. For me growing up in the 50s was just as they picture it on Happy Days and Father Knows best. No sense in elaborating. If you've seen those shows and shows like them you know what I mean. Having been there I can tell you it was real and wonderful......thanks Mom and Dad......I love and miss you.

How old are you hoogbest? You must be the oldest poster here?

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/04/06 at 9:45 am

I hated my teen years...glad they're over.

I was a true loner. Went to the library every lunch-time, barely spoke to anyone (surprisingly I had quite a few friends until first year of high school which was a tough time, which i think precipitated it), had problems with anxiety/other mental conditions. So in all, I'm glad to forget it all.

Written By: annonymouse on 04/09/06 at 3:09 am

My teens sucked. My parents got divorced thus I turned into a sh**head. I spent most of junior high and high school skipping class to go hang out and smoke weed.

Written By: 90sto2000sfanrob on 04/09/06 at 1:51 pm

When I was your age, which was 3-4 years ago, I basically just skateboarded everyday with my friends and went to the mall on weekends. Great times. Most of my friends are now in different colleges with full time jobs. We barely hang out like we used to. It's just not the same once you graduate from High School, the bonds you developed sometimes slowly fade. I guess it's the facts of life.

Written By: twistedwarp on 04/10/06 at 8:16 am

HMM. well i am still mainly a teenager. but i would say that  i am in my late teenage years(turning 18 this summer).. I really liked my teenage years. I couldve done things better in my past life. but o well we make mistakes sometimes. I know im going to look back and say ."wow im lucky to be still be here". Somewhat overall i had fun and learned things. o yess memories........

Check for new replies or respond here...