inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Last Goodbyes for 'Friends', 'Frasier', 'Drew Carey', 'Angel', 'Becker', etc.

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/02/04 at 7:49 pm

This is you last chance to say goodbye to the series we've grown up with in the 90s, namely "Friends", "Frasier", "Angel", "Becker", "Enterprise" (maybe) and yes, maybe even "The Simpsons" if the voices behind your favorite characters strike as threatened. The Drew Carey Show is also filiming its last episode which will be airing in the summer.

I'd hate to say goodbye to "Friends" and "Frasier" especially. Matt LeBlanc will repeat his Joey character in a new spinoff series this fall, and the other members are either doing movies or co-producing TV pilots. But Kelsey Grammer and the Frasier cast will likely have a future behind the camera, as David Hyde Pierce and Jane Leeves have already done cartoon voices.  They deserve the big finales planned from NBC. And Angel will be missed, too. I just saw the Married...With Children rerun on FX with David Boreanez as Kelly's boyfriend who cheated on her at the movie theater. I wonder if that's a clue to air the Angel reruns.  Anyway, your turn.

Subject: Re: Last Goodbyes for 'Friends', 'Frasier', 'Drew Carey', 'Angel', 'Becker', etc

Written By: Powerslave on 05/02/04 at 7:55 pm

I think the world will end if "The Simpsons" winds up. Although they have enough episodes to keep the re-runs happening for a couple of decades.

Subject: Re: Last Goodbyes for 'Friends', 'Frasier', 'Drew Carey', 'Angel', 'Becker', etc

Written By: FanOfTheMonkees on 05/02/04 at 8:16 pm

I don't want Friends to end. :'( The show is just getting great. I wish they could do it for another 10 years, or maybe even 20. Well anyway, the other shows that were mentioned here can end for all I am concerned.

Written By: dsdsfds on 05/02/04 at 10:01 pm

Everybody Loves Raymond is the sole survivor

Written By: Hairspray on 05/03/04 at 12:42 am

Becker was very good until two of the best characters left - Reggie & Bob. I never liked Chris. I found her to be highly annoying and the motives for her placement in the series were quite obvious from the moment she was first seen. It was also a sure sign of the series' impending doom. Ce La Vie.

Written By: 1992thousand on 05/03/04 at 7:27 am

i wont really miss any of those shows. Enterprise started in 2001 btw, and Scott Bakula is not right for  the Star Trek universe. I didnt even know they still made new episodes of Becker and Drew Carey, lol, i guess theyve just been knocked that far down.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/03/04 at 9:40 am

I just wanted "Freinds " to pair Ross with Rachel (Still may happen) and phoebe with Joey....no chance of that now though ::)

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/03/04 at 1:13 pm

I liked Jake better than Bob, who was more of a stereotypical New Yorker. I liked Nancy Travis, but I agree with those that find her character annoying. ::)
Becker was very good until two of the best characters left - Reggie & Bob. I never liked Chris. I found her to be highly annoying and the motives for her placement in the series were quite obvious from the moment she was first seen. It was also a sure sign of the series' impending doom. Ce La Vie.

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/03/04 at 2:37 pm

Ok, I'll be the buzzkill for this thread. :)

Personally, I think "Friends" has been on about 5 years too long.  It was funny for the first couple seasons, now its just annoying.  Good riddance. :P

"Drew Carey", well, I agree with the other poster on here that said they didn't even know they still made that show.  I thought it went off a couple years ago so it won't be missed.

"Frasier", zzzzzzzzz.  I liked it back when it first started, then it all became repetative.  The best character on there was the dog.

As far as "Becker" and "Angel" go, I've never had the urge to watch them.  I'm not a big Ted Danson fan, and I don't even know what "Angel" is.

OK, I'm done being a party pooper now. :)

Written By: NullandVoid on 05/03/04 at 3:40 pm

I guess I'm the only wierdo on the planet who doesn't care for 'Freinds", I stopped watching that show after Ross and Rachel got married in vegas

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/03/04 at 4:50 pm

I guess I'm the only wierdo on the planet who doesn't care for 'Freinds", I stopped watching that show after Ross and Rachel got married in vegas

No no, you're not alone.

I can't stand that show.  It lost it's charm after a couple seasons.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/03/04 at 4:52 pm

I got bored of Friends a while back, but Frasier has remained consistently good, IMO.  I will miss it very much!  :'(

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/03/04 at 5:19 pm

"Friends" maybe should have gotten the ax last year. But this season wasn't a total washout like "Seinfeld" or "Home Improvement" was in its final season. I thought "Frasier" should have been gone a long time ago. The Simpsons have overstayed their welcome last year, so I won't be sad if doesn't come on anymore. But it doesn't deserve the ending its voice people are giving it.

Personally, I think "Friends" has been on about 5 years too long.  It was funny for the first couple seasons, now its just annoying.  Good riddance. :P

Written By: Bobby on 05/03/04 at 5:29 pm

The end of an era I suppose. Though I don't care much for Friends - I thought the humour was too smarmy. Becker was pretty good as well (what I saw of it) and Frasier will be the one I miss the most. Very clever sitcom.

Written By: Howard on 05/03/04 at 8:24 pm

I think the world will end if "The Simpsons" winds up. Although they have enough episodes to keep the re-runs happening for a couple of decades.

Yeah,and Simpson have been on the air for 15 years now. :o

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/04/04 at 9:36 am

"Drew Carey" was on too long...as for "Becker" and "Angel", I never got into them :-\

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/04/04 at 12:43 pm

....and Frasier will be the one I miss the most. Very clever sitcom.

I couldn't agree more!  :)

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 05/04/04 at 5:01 pm

No no, you're not alone.

I can't stand that show.  It lost it's charm after a couple seasons.

Good, we have three parody writers who have Friends. I'd rather lock myself in a room with Michael Bolton's "greatest hits" screaming out of a really loud stereo, than watch Friends. LOL

I will, however, miss the heck out of Frasier and Drew Carey. BTW, Fox settled the strike with the Simpsons cast. Dan Castellanetta and Harry Shearer, etc., are gonna get their "D'oh!" :)

Written By: SmithsGirl on 05/04/04 at 5:34 pm

Ok, I'll be the buzzkill for this thread. :)

"Drew Carey", well, I agree with the other poster on here that said they didn't even know they still made that show.  I thought it went off a couple years ago so it won't be missed.

"Frasier", zzzzzzzzz.  I liked it back when it first started, then it all became repetative.  The best character on there was the dog.

As far as "Becker" and "Angel" go, I've never had the urge to watch them.  I'm not a big Ted Danson fan, and I don't even know what "Angel" is.

OK, I'm done being a party pooper now. :)

Amen to all that. Although I like Ted Danson, the Becker thing just wasn't doin' for me.
And as far as Angel goes. I would have liked to have given it a chance because i really like vampire shows, but Buffy the Vampire Killer ruined Vampire shows as far as I'm concerned, so that turned me off of even ever checking out Angel. TFB i guess

SmithsGirl

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/04/04 at 7:26 pm

Then you are a better man than I, Chris.  ;)

I'd rather lock myself in a room with Michael Bolton's "greatest hits" screaming out of a really loud stereo, than watch Friends. LOL

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/04/04 at 11:40 pm

Tonights "Frasier" was good....and not quite the last

Written By: tv on 05/08/04 at 11:14 pm

I saw "Becker" a few times it was amusing.

Friends-Like somebody said it ran 5 years too long.

Drew Carey-I saw a few episodes it just did nothing for me.

Angel-I don't like Horror shows. I did see a few episodes its ok if you like that kind of show though.

Frasier-it was a good show from what I saw, it was good but not great.

These shows don't touch something like "The Cosby's" or "Seinfeld" did in my book for the 80's and 90's generation im ny opinion. I know "Friends" was mainly was 90's(we actually half 90's/half 00's) but its not in Seinfelds league.

Written By: My name is Kenny on 05/08/04 at 11:50 pm

I think I've seen Drew Carey maybe three times.  The others, I have not watched a single episode of, and I don't especially feel that I'm poorer for having missed them.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/08/04 at 11:50 pm

I'd rather lock myself in a room with Michael Bolton's "greatest hits"
That Michael Bolton was even able to have a greatest hits LP is a pretty sick itself :P

Subject: Re: Last Goodbyes for 'Friends', 'Frasier', 'Drew Carey', 'Angel', 'Bec

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 05/09/04 at 1:51 am

Perhaps this finally the end of the 90's pop culture?

I never understood the appeal of certain 90's TV shows like Baywatch, Friends, ER, Drew Carey, and Frasier.  Frasier seemed to be a show that if it was on in the 80's, would have been aired on the CBS network after Murder, She Wrote or Matlock.  You just know that Grandpa Simpson and everyone at the Springfield old folks home can't miss an episode of Frasier.

I actually did wind up watching the last 20 minutes of the Friends finale.  I still have never sat through an entire episode, so I don't know these characters, just the names of the actors.  So all I got from this episode was that apart from Jennifer Aniston who still kinda looks the same from the way she was in 1994, everyone else has noticeably AGED and are clearly a bunch of people slouching towards 40 or in the case of Lisa Kudrow has already crossed it.  This show should have gone off the air back in 1999. 

Subject: Re: Last Goodbyes for 'Friends', 'Frasier', 'Drew Carey', 'Angel', 'Bec

Written By: tv on 05/09/04 at 2:10 am

Perhaps this finally the end of the 90's pop culture?

I never understood the appeal of certain 90's TV shows like Baywatch, Friends, ER, Drew Carey, and Frasier.  Frasier seemed to be a show that if it was on in the 80's, would have been aired on the CBS network after Murder, She Wrote or Matlock.  You just know that Grandpa Simpson and everyone at the Springfield old folks home can't miss an episode of Frasier.

I actually did wind up watching the last 20 minutes of the Friends finale.  I still have never sat through an entire episode, so I don't know these characters, just the names of the actors.  So all I got from this episode was that apart from Jennifer Aniston who still kinda looks the same from the way she was in 1994, everyone else has noticeably AGED and are clearly a bunch of people slouching towards 40 or in the case of Lisa Kudrow has already crossed it.  This show should have gone off the air back in 1999. 
First off I find Fraiser a good show and I am not a senior citizen. To cover your second paragraph Lisa Kudrow should have never dyed her hair brown.

Written By: Howard on 05/09/04 at 12:24 pm

was anyone around when MASH had it's finale in 1983? How did that show end? ???

Howard

Written By: kellygoo72 on 10/08/05 at 3:42 am

I saw "Becker" a few times it was amusing.

Friends-Like somebody said it ran 5 years too long.

Drew Carey-I saw a few episodes it just did nothing for me.

Angel-I don't like Horror shows. I did see a few episodes its ok if you like that kind of show though.

Frasier-it was a good show from what I saw, it was good but not great.

These shows don't touch something like "The Cosby's" or "Seinfeld" did in my book for the 80's and 90's generation im ny opinion. I know "Friends" was mainly was 90's(we actually half 90's/half 00's) but its not in Seinfelds league.
  Lol, I know this is a really old thread but I just saw the last episode of Frasier the other nite... I liked that show... I never saw the last Becker,... Was it cancelled or did it end??  I think that show was a hoot... :D

Subject: Re: Last Goodbyes for 'Friends', 'Frasier', 'Drew Carey', 'Angel', 'Becker', etc.

Written By: thenewwavechick on 10/08/05 at 3:50 am

Yeah, the Fraiser finale was good.  As for The Drew Carey Show, it lost it's "spark" after Drew and Kate got together and then Drew went "wacko" and ended up in an institution.  Then Krista Miller (Kate) left.  It just wasn't the same.  The main reason I watched it was because Ryan Stiles (Lewis) and Craig Ferguson (Mr. Wick). 

Subject: Re: Last Goodbyes for 'Friends', 'Frasier', 'Drew Carey', 'Angel', 'Becker', etc.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/15/07 at 7:44 am

Goodbye!

Check for new replies or respond here...