inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Late Night Faves

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/03/04 at 12:00 am

Out of these four ONLY....who is your fave?  Mine is Letterman :)

Subject: Re: Late Night Faves

Written By: Hairspray on 05/03/04 at 12:44 am

Jay Leno with Conan as a very close second.

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/03/04 at 1:10 pm

I don't watch late night TV anymore, but from the lesser of four evils, I'll stick with the Hoosier.

Written By: resinchaser on 05/03/04 at 2:09 pm

I used to like Conan the most but now I prefer Kilbourne.

I love What up?

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/03/04 at 2:32 pm

Conan is my favorite by far.

He's the only one of the bunch that can be funny without depending on his writers to do it for him.  I love it when they do the remote locations.  His show puts all the others to shame. :P

Leno is pretty good, not the best.

Kilbourne, blah.  His show seems so low-budget and lame, its just plain boring. 

Letterman, well, he was funny...20 years ago. :P  I think he should have retired about 5 years ago before his show went down the toilet.

Written By: Cheetara on 05/03/04 at 4:30 pm

Jay Leno

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/04/04 at 8:48 am

I've been watching David Letterman since the mid-late 80's, but not so much since it's become The LATE SHOW With David Letterman. On my old Betamax tapes, there's almost nothing but Late Night shows. :)

I really should start watching again. I don't think he's any less funny than he used to be!

Absolutely Vile

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/04/04 at 9:16 am

I've been watching David Letterman since the mid-late 80's, but not so much since it's become The LATE SHOW With David Letterman. On my old Betamax tapes, there's almost nothing but Late Night shows. :)

I really should start watching again. I don't think he's any less funny than he used to be!

Absolutely Vile
He absolutely is ;)

Written By: SmithsGirl on 05/04/04 at 5:51 pm

I prefer Conan out of all choices. He has natural humour. I like letterman as well and watch him every night before Conan.

SmithsGirl

Written By: zcrito on 05/04/04 at 7:58 pm

Jay Leno. Not flashy, just dependable? Like Conan when I happen to see it I'll watch between 10-20 minutes. Jay's OK.
;)
David Letterman.
Hey, "80sRocked", I remember catching the David Letterman show one night and thinking to myself: "Is that show still on?" -- that was in 1988! I really don't make an effort to see this show.
:(
Conan.
I liked his shows from Canada. When I do catch it, he can come up with some funny stuff every now and then. I remember when he first came on, (in 1991?) along with about 100 other late night talk shows. The critics all said Conan would be the first to be canceled. Well, he's out lived the other 99 talk shows and made it this far. Conan's OK.
;)
Kilbourne.
Only see it when I flip through the cable channels. I only stay for about 30 seconds or less.
Winner: Conan or Jay.
:D

Written By: NullandVoid on 05/04/04 at 8:01 pm

If there was absolutely Notthing else on TV to watch(not even an informercial) then I would watch letterman.

Written By: Fred on 05/04/04 at 9:40 pm

*cough*Conan*cough*

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/04/04 at 11:34 pm

Jay Leno. Not flashy, just dependable? Like Conan when I happen to see it I'll watch between 10-20 minutes. Jay's OK.
;)
David Letterman.
Hey, "80sRocked", I remember catching the David Letterman show one night and thinking to myself: "Is that show still on?" -- that was in 1988! I really don't make an effort to see this show.
Conan.
I liked his shows from Canada. When I do catch it, he can come up with some funny stuff every now and then. I remember when he first came on, (in 1991?) along with about 100 other late night talk shows. The critics all said Conan would be the first to be canceled. Well, he's out lived the other 99 talk shows and made it this far. Conan's OK.
;)
Kilbourne.
Only see it when I flip through the cable channels. I only stay for about 30 seconds or less.
Winner: Conan or Jay.
:D
Leno: I don't watch
Conan: Is alright...but I watch Jimmy Kimmel

Kilbourne: I have never seen him....

You should really check Letterman out...I love the Top Ten...as for the best Late Night ever it's gotta be Johnny Carson though....IMO

Written By: ktelqueen on 07/21/04 at 12:52 am

Letterman  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/21/04 at 1:57 am

Now I go with Conan.

In the '80s it was Letterman.  Dave was my man!  My Late Night ritual was a pint of Cherry Garcia and Letterman.  Don't forget Paul Schaffer ("Wunnerful show tonight, Dave!").  Thing is, Letterman only worked when he was the late show underdog to Carson.  Once he moved into the 11:30 slot, and Carson retired, Dave just became smug and complacent.

Leno is an even bigger corporate sell-out.  The night I saw him kissing up to Rush Limbaugh, I lost all respect for him.  He now comes off like a whiny Republican.  I mean, I was always a fan of Carson, but I guess always KNEW Carson was a big-whig showbiz jerko in real life, so I never considered his person beyond the stage.

Kilbourn was the most untalented late night guy to get his own show, until the odious Jimmy Kimmel got one!

So, if I have my choice, it's Conan.  His personality is fun, and I like his routines and skits the best.

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/21/04 at 8:28 am

Conan. 

Letterman is played out except for his Top Ten lists, which I can read in the Washington Post the next morning if I want to.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 07/21/04 at 10:06 am

Leno kicks @$$!!  :D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/21/04 at 10:08 am

Leno kicks @$$!!   :D
Maybe so...but it's his chin that resembles one! ::)

Written By: bj26 on 07/21/04 at 1:40 pm

I watch Howard Stern every night.

Written By: lebeiw15 on 07/21/04 at 10:41 pm

Jay Leno!  I love Headlines!  Jay Walking is also funny.

I don't care much for Letterman.  In fact, I don't like looking at his face for an entire show.  I would rather look at a skunk-haired, huge-jawed big guy for an hour and a half than Letterman. ::) :P  He's not really that funny.  I do like his Top Ten Lists.

I like Conan. 

I'm glad ABC ditched Bill Maher.  What a stupid show. ??? ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/22/04 at 7:18 am

Maybe so...but it's his chin that resembles one! ::)

;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 09/24/04 at 6:54 pm

So...Letterman and Leno get 8 and Conan 7 to go with the other poll :)

Written By: nally on 09/27/04 at 2:29 pm

Since I seem to watch Leno the most whenever I stay up late, I'll go with him.

Written By: danootaandme on 09/27/04 at 3:09 pm

I think I just heard a small newsflash about Conan taking Lenos spot? Anyone else hear it?

Written By: lebeiw15 on 09/28/04 at 4:57 pm

When I responded to this the first time, I seemed to have liked Leno more.  That has changed--I am totally obsessed with Late Night With Conan O'Brien! :P :) :D

Written By: ktelqueen on 10/18/04 at 2:21 am

my favourite Conan show ever was the one in which he tried to learn different syles of dance-from breakdancing to ballet  :D ;D

Written By: zcrito on 10/18/04 at 3:43 pm

It's funny.
When Conan O'Brien first came on (was it Fall of 1991??) he was just another new talk show in a group of them for that year. All the critics said he would be the first to get canceled. I guess they were wrong.  ;D

:)

I think Chevy Chase had talk show that started when Conan's did. Does anyone else remember any of the others?

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 10/18/04 at 4:40 pm

I think Chevy Chase had talk show that started when Conan's did. Does anyone else remember any of the others?

When was Pat Sajak's show? I know it didn't last...

Absolutely Vile

Written By: elaine on 10/21/04 at 7:05 pm

definitely Conan

Check for new replies or respond here...