inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Kids of the early '90s compared to kids today

Written By: Guest on 05/03/04 at 4:43 pm

I was born in 1983 so that makes me a child of the early/mid '90s and I was just wondering do you think the kids of today, namely pre-teens between the ages 7-12, are that different from the kids of my era?  I really don't think their different at all besides the decades.  Let's compare them:

Kids in the early '90s were into super soakers and Ninja Turtles.  We watched cartoons like The Ren & Stimpy Show, Rocko's Modern Life, Beavis and Butthead, and The Simpsons.  We played video games like Sonic The Hedgehog, Mortal Kombat, and Street Fighter II.  We grew up just as the Cold War had ended and stuff like the Persian Gulf War, the L.A. Riots, and a recession were going on, but being kids we didn't really pay much attention to the world and politics, at least I didn't.

Now the kids growing up now in the '00s seem to be into Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh.  They watch cartoons like South Park, Samuri Jack, Invader Zim, and SpongeBob Squarepants and play video games like Grand Theft Auto, Halo, and Tony Hawk's Pro-Skater.  The world in which they are coming up in seems worse than the one I did.  Kids today are growing with the  War on Terror, Post 9-11 terror threats, and the war in Iraq.  If you ask me they are growing up in the most volitile times since the baby boomer did in the Cold War.

Besides the times however, I don't see much of a difference.  What do you think   

Subject: Re: Kids of the early '90s compared to kids today

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 05/04/04 at 12:14 am

I don't think there's a difference between anyone your age back then and these current kids.  But then again, I don't think there's much of a difference between kids from the the early 1890's and now.  I'm 28, turn 29 later this year.  One of the things about getting older, is it made me all the more humbled about the world around me, and I realized sadly that we are all simply moving through this life, constantly moving into different stages.  Never staying in one stage as most of us falsely believe while we are under the age of 23 or 24. 

There was never a time in humanity where people didn't think the world around them sucked and that kids were growing up in a more turbluent time then they did.  Kids also like to believe that they are growing up in a more gritty, violent and edgy world then people older then them or their parents, as it makes them feel more cool and the whole misunderstood angle.   

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/04/04 at 9:49 am

Probably less violent and they most knew how to speak ::)

Written By: 1992thousand on 05/04/04 at 12:39 pm

probably them having the internet in their pre-preteen days(like around 5-8).

Written By: NullandVoid on 05/04/04 at 8:11 pm

As mentioned in another topic children these days are FOUL MOUTHED.

With the exception of the little blond boy in "Bad News Bears", Back in the days the worst thing a kid would call another kid was barfbreath, Pizza face, Nappy head, dumb@$$,  But Now you will hear five year olds saying "wonderful" things like:
Suck my D---- , F--K or calling eachother B---ches!

I also overheard two 10 year olds talkin some girl that they 'Had" in the bathroom. I just prayed to God that they were lying.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/04/04 at 8:15 pm

With the exception of the little blond boy in "Bad News Bears", Back in the days the worst thing a kid would call another kid was barfbreath, Pizza face, Nappy head, dumb@$$,  But Now you will hear five year olds saying "wonderful" things like:

I also overheard two 10 year olds talkin some girl that they 'Had" in the bathroom. I just prayed to God that they were lying.
The language comes from the Tube AND the Rap-Crap....IMHO, NullandVoid :P

Written By: briand87 on 05/07/04 at 12:06 am

I was born in 1987 and yea I notice differences between 90s kids and todays kids. I remeber all the things you mentioned. I used to watch Rocko every sunday afternoon. I remember when it first came on air. I remember pogs, I got mine still in the book, i got slammers as well. Pogs are like yu-gi-uh is today. I personally have heard of yu-gi-uh but I have no idea what it is, all I know is there are cards. Pokemon was more late 90s and early 00s, it has faded. I was in to baseball cards and I have a whole collection. I was also in to toy cars, I used to have all kinds, I don't know what happened to them. I remember I wore overalls a lot and trolls were all over the place. I remember my 110 camera that I had.  As I look back things have definitely changed.

Written By: My name is Kenny on 05/07/04 at 3:50 am

God, if we're talking inane trends, Yu-Gi-Oh cards are so much better than the lame Pogs we had as kids.  I mean, with cards, you can... play cards.  What were you supposed to do with Pogs?  I know there was a game that went with it, but I never saw anyone play it.  And what was the game anyway?  You stacked all your Pogs and you threw the slammer at it?  What kind of game is that? 

As for kids, they're the same.  They've always been the same. 

Probably less violent and they most knew how to speak

You slander my generation and I don't appreciate it.  We most did too know how to speak!  Or however that's supposed to be said.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/07/04 at 11:45 am

God, if we're talking inane trends, Yu-Gi-Oh cards are so much better than the lame Pogs we had as kids.  I mean, with cards, you can... play cards.  What were you supposed to do with Pogs?  I know there was a game that went with it, but I never saw anyone play it.  And what was the game anyway?  You stacked all your Pogs and you threw the slammer at it?  What kind of game is that? 

As for kids, they're the same.  They've always been the same. 

You slander my generation and I don't appreciate it.  We most did too know how to speak!  Or however that's supposed to be said.
Sorry, Kenny...it's just one persons opinion...every generation has had it bad points as well as it's good.

Written By: Fred on 05/08/04 at 10:14 pm

Dude, pogs rule!!!  :D

Written By: Guest on 02/21/05 at 6:41 pm

I remember in 2nd-3rd grade that I actually got in trouble for saying BS in class.  Now, it is OK to say "crap" in school.  :D  What had happened to good 'ol discipline? 

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/21/05 at 7:34 pm

I still love my pogs.

Written By: bbigd04 on 02/21/05 at 7:44 pm

probably them having the internet in their pre-preteen days(like around 5-8).

I was actually one of the lucky ones to have internet when I was 8 in 1995.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/21/05 at 8:44 pm

Violence in schools wasn't a really big problem in schools.

Now adays, there's incidents like Columbine happening, and metal detectors in schools.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/21/05 at 9:12 pm

My gosh, are the people of the 90s pulling this shhh off now????  The 90s are the "decade of innocence" now?  The 80s was bad enough, now it's happening to my generation.  I'm only 15!!!!!!!!!!

I was more a mid-late 90s kid I guess.  I remember Trolls though and the world before "South Park".  It seemed more old school although old Nick cartoons sucked, the live shows rocked.

Written By: 1992thousand on 02/21/05 at 10:10 pm

I remember in 2nd-3rd grade that I actually got in trouble for saying BS in class.  Now, it is OK to say "crap" in school.   :D  What had happened to good 'ol discipline? 

I remember in 8th grade, not sure if this was the 97 or 98 half, but we were about to have a bowling trip, and i was saying to one of my friends in science "man, i will kick your butt in bowling." Well that day we had a substitute teacher, and since we sat at a front table, she heard this and said "excuse me, don't use that kind of language." i'm thinking what the heck, all i said was im gonna kick your butt in bowling...and so i said that to her, she said that was harsh language...i said "its not like i said im going to hurt you, i just said i would beat you in bowling" she just told me she doesn't let her children use that kind of language and asked me not to say it again...i didn't...but that still had me blinking blankley for a little while after.

on a hardly related note, near the end of that year, in that same Science class, a friend had this pen with some little metal ring around the tip and it broke off while he was tapping it on the table...i didn't know what i was doing but i picked it up and broke it into 2 pieces...and then folded each of the pieces...i had no idea what i was holding...just 2 little metal things folded in half, i dropped one and my friend picked it up...well my Science teacher comes over(this was the real teacher) and asks what we have, how we got them, i said "uhh, it broke off his pen"...and we gave em up and he goes "hmm, two little metal pieces the same size(as if that had anything to do with anything), i wonder what they could be used for, maybe as....PROJECTILES?" That's when i get that "what the heck are you talking about" look on my face and throw back a resounding "NO" but he's  looking at me as if i were some murderer who couldn't get his story straigt, accidentaly gave himself up and is trying to spin his words back around to escape punishment...well the jerk wrote us both referrals(or pink slips) to the office...and because of that we weren't allowed to go on the last day amusement park trip...neither of us cared about that though...it was that he got us in trouble by drawing up a scenario in his mind ,completely based on suspicion, that wasn't going to happen.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/21/05 at 10:35 pm

Today's kids are just like early '90s kids only today's kids are more oblivious and depraved.
Sorry about the blunt language tharr, ya hear?
::) :-X

Written By: Chrisrj on 02/21/05 at 10:55 pm

I think there's a huge difference, speaking as someone who's been 10-12 in 90-92.  Kids today hate the stuff I grew up on.  And it's mutual, since I hate the stuff they're growing up on.

Written By: 1992thousand on 02/22/05 at 10:15 am

I think there's a huge difference, speaking as someone who's been 10-12 in 90-92.  Kids today hate the stuff I grew up on.  And it's mutual, since I hate the stuff they're growing up on.

i dunno, it seems like a lot people born in the late 80's and early 90s are always talking about cartoons and kids, actually the whole general pop culture from that period like they remember everything from when they were four or five. I always thought it was a bit of a reach for a few  people born in the late 70's to talk about the first half of the 80's like it was "their time", i feel the same way about late 80s kids too. I think when they get a bit older they'll realize remembering a few songs from when you were 6 doesn't equate to having a real feeling of what that year was like. i was 4, 5 6 7 in 88-91, but i am not going to even pretend like i have such a crystal clear memory of what those years were really like. I dont care if they want to talk about stuff from the early 90s, but someone born in 87 will say something like "the late 80s are hazy, but i remember everything from the 90s!"  ??? it's like comon now

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 02/22/05 at 1:39 pm

i dunno, it seems like a lot people born in the late 80's and early 90s are always talking about cartoons and kids, actually the whole general pop culture from that period like they remember everything from when they were four or five. I always thought it was a bit of a reach for a few  people born in the late 70's to talk about the first half of the 80's like it was "their time", i feel the same way about late 80s kids too. I think when they get a bit older they'll realize remembering a few songs from when you were 6 doesn't equate to having a real feeling of what that year was like. i was 4, 5 6 7 in 88-91, but i am not going to even pretend like i have such a crystal clear memory of what those years were really like. I dont care if they want to talk about stuff from the early 90s, but someone born in 87 will say something like "the late 80s are hazy, but i remember everything from the 90s!"  ??? it's like comon now

My memory starts  c. 1993, but I was clueless on youth culture until about 1999, to be honest.  And I barely count that as nineties.

Written By: Beth on 02/22/05 at 1:47 pm

I was about 10 when pogs came out......i found a use for them however.....they're good for decorating picture and scrapbooks with, just glue em in  and you get cool pages.  :D

Written By: McDonald on 02/22/05 at 1:53 pm

In the early 90s, cartoons still displayed some morals. Each one had a life-lesson, and some of them even had a bonus life-message at the end (like Double Dragon). When Ren&Stimpy came out, cartoons were changed forever. They all became mindless and disgusting. I couldn't even watch R&S when I was eight or ten because I thought it was gross... all about boogers and the like.

I remember I wrote "bich" on the bus window one cold morning because this kid was making fun of me (I misspelled the word... lol). He actually started crying "he called me a swear word and wrote it on the window." My sister told on me, and I got into trouble.... for saying "b*tch" and misspelling it on the window. That was what it was like in a northern town in the early nineties.

My kids, if and when I have any, will not be watching any TV... They will read and watch pre-approved movies until they're old enough to choose what sort of culture they wish to consume.

Written By: roxy on 03/06/05 at 12:08 pm

kids now adays use reaslly bad language and are disrespectful. the things i have heard some of them say..or the things they have done. i hate kids nowadays, and i have noticed that each year as the year 7s come into our skl, they r getting worse each time. they used to be cute and polite, now they are rude and disresectful. also kids now adays are trying to grow up too fast - girls wear makeup at 11 years old etc. its terrible!

Written By: Icy on 03/06/05 at 12:17 pm

As a goddamn kid, I find you f%^$*(&ing sonsofbitches very f^(*&$^(* offensive to me. Goddammit.  ;D

Written By: Punk Daddy on 03/06/05 at 11:58 pm

Today's culture has way too much sex, violence, and the like.
-comment from two sources.

1. Parent of pre-teen in 1991
2. Parent of pre-teen in 2005.

Different decade, same crap....just this crap is a little more gratuitous.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/07/05 at 2:11 am

In the early 90s, cartoons still displayed some morals. Each one had a life-lesson, and some of them even had a bonus life-message at the end (like Double Dragon). When Ren&Stimpy came out, cartoons were changed forever. They all became mindless and disgusting. I couldn't even watch R&S when I was eight or ten because I thought it was gross... all about boogers and the like.

I remember I wrote "bich" on the bus window one cold morning because this kid was making fun of me (I misspelled the word... lol). He actually started crying "he called me a swear word and wrote it on the window." My sister told on me, and I got into trouble.... for saying "b*tch" and misspelling it on the window. That was what it was like in a northern town in the early nineties.

My kids, if and when I have any, will not be watching any TV... They will read and watch pre-approved movies until they're old enough to choose what sort of culture they wish to consume.

Your not the first idealistic young lad to make this pronouncement.  Good luck to you on that, especially the TV thing!
;)
My first experiences with Cartoons are in the early '70s.  I remember Casper, Popeye, and the lame-azz '60s rendition of Felix the Cat.  I mean, when I watched it at age five, I wasn't thinking "lame-azz '60s rendition of Felix the Cat."  Maybe Jack Mercer's* kids knew better, but I wasn't too clued in at that age.
*http://imdb.com/name/nm0580271/

Now I do regret that the Barnified entertainment industry has pushed out some of these classic cartoons.  Kids today don't know the speedy Mexican, the savage red Indian, or those jokes about "women drivers."
If you go back further, you can find some marvelous depictions of turn-of-the century African-Americans.  I do say, the cartoon archives of Disney, Warner Bros., Fleischer et al. hold quite a bit of cultural heritage of which today's young are being deprived.
:-X

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/07/05 at 12:46 pm

Today's culture has way too much sex, violence, and the like.
-comment from two sources.

1. Parent of pre-teen in 1991
2. Parent of pre-teen in 2005.

Different decade, same crap....just this crap is a little more gratuitous.

The media just gets more lenient all the time ... although with Breastgate it's cleaning up ... 9/11 did little to get rid of violence on TV.

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 03/07/05 at 4:25 pm

I was born in 1983 so that makes me a child of the early/mid '90s

I'm a '78er myself, so I was 12 in 1990.  I loved the Ninja Turtles, but I can't help to realize that the new Turtles are so dumb looking....see?......the recycle period.  It hasn't even been 20 years yet and they had to screw up the Ninja Turtles >:(!
Anyways, I'm not that much different than someone born in '83.  One of my friends is an '83 kid, so we talk about all the kid things we did back in the day and we understand what we're talking about.  If you ever heard of the new craze, "The Bionicles", I'm big into that.  I have the complete Lego set of Bionicle robots, and I'm almost 27 years old.  No, I'm not trying to rekindle my youth because I'm so close to being 30, I'm merely saying that the toys now are way cooler and what we had 15 years earlier, except for Nintendo.....LOL ;D.  So I notice a pretty big difference between kids today and us 15 years earlier. I read someone elses post just a bit ago that said today's culture is based on sex and especially drugs and marijuana slogans.  The same with when I was a kid, but way more infant back in 1990-91.  As the rap group Cypress Hill quotes" : "Up until the summer of '91, wasn't NO motha f*cka talking about smokin' blunts."  That time was just a baby compared the 00s.  Anyways maybe I'll have another thought later on.  Good post by the way. ;)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/07/05 at 8:15 pm

I'm a '78er myself, so I was 12 in 1990.  I loved the Ninja Turtles, but I can't help to realize that the new Turtles are so dumb looking....see?......the recycle period.  It hasn't even been 20 years yet and they had to screw up the Ninja Turtles >:(!
Anyways, I'm not that much different than someone born in '83.  One of my friends is an '83 kid, so we talk about all the kid things we did back in the day and we understand what we're talking about.  If you ever heard of the new craze, "The Bionicles", I'm big into that.  I have the complete Lego set of Bionicle robots, and I'm almost 27 years old.  No, I'm not trying to rekindle my youth because I'm so close to being 30, I'm merely saying that the toys now are way cooler and what we had 15 years earlier, except for Nintendo.....LOL ;D.  So I notice a pretty big difference between kids today and us 15 years earlier. I read someone elses post just a bit ago that said today's culture is based on sex and especially drugs and marijuana slogans.  The same with when I was a kid, but way more infant back in 1990-91.  As the rap group Cypress Hill quotes" : "Up until the summer of '91, wasn't NO motha f*cka talking about smokin' blunts."  That time was just a baby compared the 00s.  Anyways maybe I'll have another thought later on.  Good post by the way. ;)

Are you saying 1990-early 91 was still pretty much the 80s? 

Written By: jersey_bwoy2078 on 03/08/05 at 8:34 am

Are you saying 1990-early 91 was still pretty much the 80s? 

well of course...

Written By: Guest on 03/08/05 at 8:52 am

I was seven in 1990 (83er) and was totally into the Ninja Turtles myself at the time.  During that year I went to see the movie, which is still one of my favorite, I got a Ninja Turtles CD at Pizza Hut, and I got my picture taken with one of them at Disneyworld.  So back in the day I was a true TMNT fan and still am.  Funny how it seems I have more in common with someone born in 1978 than with someone born in 1988 who was into the Power Rangers (yech!)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/08/05 at 1:10 pm

well of course...

Is that sarcasm? Please elaborate.  The way I view it is it was like the 80s the way 2000-early 01 is like the 90s, some of the feel still there and not enough to separate it from the previous decade but it's a bit different.

Written By: Dumb Ass Kid on 03/31/05 at 5:12 pm

Speaking as a kid of the 90s (sort of), most little kids nowadays in England are really rough. I'm not kidding - it isn't uncommon for you to see 10 and 11 year old kids drinking and smoking. Most 12 and 13 year old kids hang around in big gangs and drink, smoke and even take drugs. The ones which wear berghaus coats, baseball caps, tracksuit bottoms (usually adidas or reebok), tuck their trousers into their burberry socks, wear Rockport shoes and enormous rings on each finger are called 'Chavs', but up here in the north east we call them charvas. Seriously, this isn't exagerated in the slightest. They're dead cocky as well. All you have to do is look at them and they start threatening you - they're complete psychos!

Check for new replies or respond here...