inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Idiotic Language And Spelling Nowadays

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/05/04 at 10:43 am

Does the language used today make you feel  ::)  In one Martin Lawerence movie...an alleged comedy...he contuinually yells "What The Problem Is!"...I think Hollywood has contributed big time to kids bad grammer today. Also seeing shaq say that Radio Shack should be spelled Radio "Shaq"... McDonalds restaraunts are now "Micky-Dees" and Sunny-Delight is "Sunny-D"to name just a few. Can anybody come up with some more examples of these wretched habits.....be it bad grammar or bad spelling?

Subject: Re: Idiotic Language And Spelling Nowadays

Written By: Jessica on 05/05/04 at 10:46 am

I don't know if it qualifies, but I absolutely HATE when I'm chatting with someone and they abbreviate the simplest words instead of spelling them out. For example, "U" for "you", "I C" for "I see", "2morrow" for "tomorrow", and so on. :P

Written By: duranchick on 05/05/04 at 1:05 pm

This is one of my favorite topics.  The one on the top of my list is using "I seen" instead of "I saw" or "I have seen".  It makes my skin crawl.  I am not normally the type of person to correct someone when they are speaking but when I hear "I seen" I can't help myself.

Written By: zcrito on 05/05/04 at 1:22 pm

I don't know if it qualifies, but I absolutely HATE when I'm chatting with someone and they abbreviate the simplest words instead of spelling them out. For example, "U" for "you", "I C" for "I see", "2morrow" for "tomorrow", and so on. :P

Isn't that called "Prince-Speak"? 
I remember someone telling me three years or so ago that there was a Web site to convert text into "Prince-Speak" (or whatever it's called).

Anyone know?

Also...
**** What happened to the emoticons ?!?!?!?
My usual ending smiley face emoticon is now some bizarre smiley face (  :D ) with its eyes going every which way! Now it's called "Cheesy"?

I guess I'll start using this one for now on...

;D

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/05/04 at 1:25 pm

My beef is with people that pronounce depot "Depp-o" instead of "Deep-o". The soldiers that work here think that "deppo" is correct and will argue it to death. Also the same deal, microfiche pronounced as "micro-fish". >:(

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/05/04 at 1:53 pm

This is one of my favorite topics.  The one on the top of my list is using "I seen" instead of "I saw" or "I have seen".  It makes my skin crawl.  I am not normally the type of person to correct someone when they are speaking but when I hear "I seen" I can't help myself.

I understand completely, duranchick.  My husband and his father both say "I seen" instead of "I saw", and it drives me absolutely NUTS!  Now the challenge is to make sure that my kids don't pick up on that.  Good grammar was stressed in the house I grew up in and I find myself correcting my husband all the time.  Fortunately he doesn't mind, but of course nothing changes..... :-\

Written By: nally on 05/05/04 at 1:58 pm

Going a wee bit off topic:

Also...
My usual ending smiley face emoticon is now some bizarre smiley face (  :D ) with its eyes going every which way! Now it's called "Cheesy"?

;D

I know, they do seem kinda bizarre for my taste. The "cheesy" and the "grin" didn't used to be animated. ::)

Back on topic... yeah, I don't know why people have been misspelling words and misusing grammer lately. And using the wrong homonyms. The "it's/its" drives me crazy! So often, people use the word "it's" to mean what "its" is supposed to mean. For example, The cat licked it's face means The cat licked it is face, which doesn't make sense!

I think these people should read Phil Alexander's "A Few of the Difficult Bits" parody; it discusses the various misuses of the apostrophe.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/05/04 at 2:30 pm

Isn't that called "Prince-Speak"? 
I remember someone telling me three years or so ago that there was a Web site to convert text into "Prince-Speak" (or whatever it's called).

Anyone know?

Also...

;D

Anybody ELSE hate "ebonics" ::)

Written By: Bobby on 05/05/04 at 5:53 pm

My beef is with people that pronounce depot "Depp-o" instead of "Deep-o". The soldiers that work here think that "deppo" is correct and will argue it to death. Also the same deal, microfiche pronounced as "micro-fish". >:(

As in Depot? The English pronounce that as 'Depp-o'. There are a few words that are said differently by the two countries. I've forgotten what they are though.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/05/04 at 6:19 pm

Language is constantly evolving (of devolving however you want to look at it). There may have been a time when saying something like "I don't know" instead of "I do not know" was considered improper or unsophicated. That can also be said for the word "ain't" today. As words get used more and more, they basically become part of our language (and thus added into dictionaries). Even though some of these words sound unsophicated and make your cringe, but once they are added into dictionaries, they become legitimate words (but not necessarily "the Queen's English"). But if we are lucky, they may disappear into obscurity like so many words before them.

Cat

Written By: Fred on 05/05/04 at 7:03 pm

I don't think that many people here have seen leet, or l33t.

suckers = sux0rz
hacker = hax0r
feer me = ph33r m3h
Bojangles = b0j4n613s
road = rh0d3

;D

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/05/04 at 7:09 pm

8u+ +40535 w0r65 4r3 4(+u@|_|_'/ (00|_. ;)
I don't think that many people here have seen leet, or l33t.

suckers = sux0rz
hacker = hax0r
feer me = ph33r m3h
Bojangles = b0j4n613s
road = rh0d3

;D

Written By: Fred on 05/05/04 at 7:27 pm

lol Indy, I wanted to post something simple so others could understand how it works.  :D

Written By: Fred on 05/05/04 at 7:28 pm

Even I can't read that, I'm not an experienced leet dude.  :(

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/05/04 at 7:31 pm

But Zella can't read normal writing. (J/K Zell, please don't throw lawn darts at me. :D)
lol Indy, I wanted to post something simple so others could understand how it works.  :D

Written By: oddxsocks on 05/05/04 at 7:46 pm

butt wut izz su rung ubot speeleeng lyek dees???????/////

...just kidding.  my friend and i started a campaign a few years ago called STNS (stop the net-spelling), but we only ever got like one member.  lol.

Written By: Powerslave on 05/05/04 at 7:49 pm

butt wut izz su rung ubot speeleeng lyek dees???????/////

...just kidding.  my friend and i started a campaign a few years ago called STNS (stop the net-spelling), but we only ever got like one member.  lol.

I would have joined.

Written By: NullandVoid on 05/05/04 at 8:15 pm

I just hate it when people say "you know what I mean" or "You know what I'm saying" between every other phrase in the conversation.

Written By: Howard on 05/05/04 at 8:25 pm

"So,What Can I do you for" ??? >:(

What kind of language is that? :o

Howard

Written By: Howard on 05/05/04 at 8:26 pm

??? ;D

Howard

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/05/04 at 8:41 pm

How about those companies that change their names to initials?

-AT*T used to be "American telephone and Telegraph", but now its legal name is "AT&T"

-KFC used to be "Kentucky Fried Chicken" and now its legal name is "KFC"

-LTV Corporation used to be "Ling, Temco, & Vought"

Those name changes to initials are silly.  >:(  Who are they trying to impress?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/05/04 at 8:54 pm

Back on topic... yeah, I don't know why people have been misspelling words and misusing grammer lately. And using the wrong homonyms. The "it's/its" drives me crazy! So often, people use the word "it's" to mean what "its" is supposed to mean. For example, The cat licked it's face means The cat licked it is face, which doesn't make sense!

Nally,  I gave up correcting people's apostrophes long ago!  And I hate all these goofy contractions in the cyber culture.  Words spelled with homophonic digits inserted irk me the most.

We do need a gender neutral pronoun in English.  It used to be acceptable to use the male pronoun by default.  Some one left his keys on the table.  Now that's considered sexist, but "some one left their keys on the table" presents a singular-plural conflict.  In our university newspaper, those who wrote the police log wanted to conceal gender.  One sentence read "A complainant from Kennedy dormitory reported being struck by their boyfriend."  "Their" boyfriend?  Sounds like trouble to me!
Academics proposed in the '70s "s/he,"  but what about him/her and his/hers?  "S/his," "s/him," oh, that doesn't work.  One professor in the gender sensitive '70s proposed a contraction for "he, or she, or it" as "HORsheesh."
:D

LyricBoy wrote:
KFC used to be "Kentucky Fried Chicken" and now its legal name is "KFC"
KFC changed its name to KFC to de-emphasize the Fried, because fried food is bad for you. Not that the American physique shows an elevated concern for health!

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/05/04 at 9:22 pm

As in Depot? The English pronounce that as 'Depp-o'. There are a few words that are said differently by the two countries. I've forgotten what they are though.

Data (pronounced "day-ta")
Tomato (pronounced "to-mah-to")
Status (pronounced "stay-tus")
Aluminium (North Americans call this "aluminum")
Oregano (pronounced "or-e-GAH-no")
Basil (pronounced "baa-zil")

...To name a few. :)

"Let's call the whole thing off..." :P

There are also different words for different things, like an aubergine is an eggplant, and bicarbonate of soda is baking soda. (I watch a lot of cooking shows.) :)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Marian on 05/05/04 at 9:33 pm

Howard
:-[ :oI can only pay you $100 an hour LOL

Written By: Marian on 05/05/04 at 9:35 pm

:PI liked it better when Kentucky Fried Chicken was called just that,not KFC.And i don't like the term bling-bling much,either :PCheers!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/05/04 at 9:36 pm

I always said tom-ay-to, my mother and grandparents said "tom-ah-to."  I never hear the latter anymore.  Data is pronounced dah-ta.  The other Data was a chararacter on "Star Trek."  Status as "stay-tus" is RIGHT OUT!  I've wondered why the British add an extra "i" to aluminum.  Seems unnecesary.  As for Basil, I've always heard, basil (bay-zil) is the seasoning and Basil (baa-zil) is the name. 
Speaking of pronounciations, why can't the name Regina (as in Victoria Regina, or Regina, Saskatchewan) be pronounced "reg-EE-na"?  Now, I don't like Medina, Ohio, being prounced
"med-I-na," not "med-EE-na," but Regina pronounced the proper way is subject to embarrassing I-thought-you-saids.
:o

Written By: Powerslave on 05/05/04 at 11:32 pm

Only Americans say "tom-ay-to". Elsewhere it is pronounced "to-mah-to". And Regina is pronounced "Reg-ee-na" where I come from. The most interesting variation in pronunciation in Australia is the way the word "castle" is pronounced. In the northern and eastern states it is pronounced "car-sill" but in Victoria and South Australia it's pronounced "cassill". Personally I don't have a problem with the way a word is pronounced, as long as it is spelled correctly, and most of time, they're not.

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/05/04 at 11:51 pm

Anybody ELSE hate "ebonics" ::)

Yes!...err I mean fo shizzle. ::)

Besides that, around here a lot of people say things such as:

Push=  Poosh
Doll=  Daall
Calculator=  Cackulator
Supposed (as in "supposed to be...")=  Spost
"Thats what I said/thought"=  Swat I said/thought

...and many more

Written By: Hairspray on 05/06/04 at 1:24 am

-KFC used to be "Kentucky Fried Chicken" and now its legal name is "KFC"

And now they're trying to dupe the public into thinking KFC stands for Kitchen Fresh Chicken!!

Of course, it's a marketing ploy to somehow help the public forget their chicken is actually fried. ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/06/04 at 2:47 am

Hairspray wrote:
And now they're trying to dupe the public into thinking KFC stands for Kitchen Fresh Chicken!!

How about
KILL THE FRIGHTENED CHICKENS
Muuuahahahaha!!!

Speaking of pronounciations, how about Baltimore?  You WARSH the dishes before you drive to WARSHington.  If you attend a motion picture, you go to the MEWVIES.  And a PARAMOUR might describe your lover...
or your lawn mowing machine!
::)

Written By: Bobby on 05/06/04 at 4:56 am

...To name a few. :)

"Let's call the whole thing off..." :P
Absolutely Vile

That's it. Well done, Vile. Status and data is said with an 'ay' sound in Britain and in America it is said in an 'a' sound. I think.

Oh the tomato dilhema . . .  :D

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/06/04 at 8:44 am

I always said tom-ay-to, my mother and grandparents said "tom-ah-to."  I never hear the latter anymore.  Data is pronounced dah-ta.  The other Data was a chararacter on "Star Trek."  Status as "stay-tus" is RIGHT OUT!  I've wondered why the British add an extra "i" to aluminum.  Seems unnecesary.  As for Basil, I've always heard, basil (bay-zil) is the seasoning and Basil (baa-zil) is the name.

Yeah, well, I pronounce them that way (the way I've indicated) because I'm used to it. I'm also not an American so I'd like to distinguish myself as such. Canada is a Commonwealth country, so it should be more British, not American! :)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/06/04 at 8:54 am

That's it. Well done, Vile. Status and data is said with an 'ay' sound in Britain and in America it is said in an 'a' sound. I think.

Oh the tomato dilhema . . .  :D

Indeed. Hehehe...:) Besides, who invented the English language anyway? The English! :) Anyway, here's something amusing from www.recoil.co.uk :

E-mail: gakmadison@erols.com

Did you know that it was we Americans who standardized the written English language? If it weren't for us, ye spottie auld Britz wuld still b all ovre thee plase wen ye tryed too do anye reeding ore ryting. Besides, it's not our fault you guys leave in all those superflous 'U's and you use 'S' where you should use 'Zed'. No harm meant, I'm just coming to the 'defence' of American English speakers (all except Jam, I've got no idea what he's saying half the time) :-)

The European Union commissioners have announced that agreement has been reached to adopt English as the preferred language for European communications, rather than German, which was the other possibility.

As part of negotiations, Her Majesty Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five-year phased plan for what will be known as EuroEnglish (Euro for short).

In the first year, "s" will be used instead of the soft "c". Sertainly, sivil servants will reseive this news with joy. Also, the hard "c" will be replased with "k". Not only will this klear up konfusion, but typewriters kan have one less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replased by "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20 per sent shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkourage the removal of double letters, which have always been a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of silent "e"s in the languag is disgraful, and they would go.

By the forth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" by "z" and "w" by "v". During ze fifz year ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining"ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

After zis fifz year, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trobls or difikultis and evrivum vil find it ezi tu understand ech ozer. Ze drem vil finali kum tru!

Absolutely Vile

Written By: jaytee on 05/06/04 at 9:06 am

When "with you" is pronounced "wit choo" I HATE THAT!!! >:(

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/06/04 at 9:19 am

Oh yes, I almost forgot...

I HATE it when people spell things that end with "-ight," with "-ite." (Unless it's a word like "rite" as in "rite of passage" or "site" as in location.) Eeeeeewwww!

Absolutely Vile

Written By: nally on 05/06/04 at 10:47 am

Now, I don't like Medina, Ohio, being prounced
"med-I-na," not "med-EE-na," but Regina pronounced the proper way is subject to embarrassing I-thought-you-saids.
:o

I've always thought was med-EE-na. I've never heard anyone say med-EYE-na. :o ::)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/06/04 at 10:52 am

Of course there is always New "Joisey" and New "Yowk". Growing up in New "Yowk" when I was learning to spell. I was told to sound out words as I was spelling. I would spell that liquid stuff coming out of the faucet "w-a-r-d-e-r" I still pronounce it like that.  ::)

Cat

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/06/04 at 11:22 am

AND you don't Excape from jail by Aksking the warden!

Written By: Wolveroses on 05/06/04 at 11:27 am

here's a few............

"That a do her"
"Thanks a much"

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/06/04 at 11:46 am

hukt on fonix wukt for me.  ;D ;)

Bad spellers of the world UNTIE!!!!

Cat

Written By: goodsin on 05/06/04 at 12:25 pm

I used to work with Fred West, an English West Country mass murderer. He always used to say 'her' instead of 'she', e.g. "her wants a drink, her does". Please be advised this is more likely to be the local dialect, rather than a feature of being a murderer... :P

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 05/06/04 at 12:54 pm

Of course, it's a marketing ploy to somehow help the public forget their chicken is actually fried. ::)

Good grief!  ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/06/04 at 2:08 pm

hukt on fonix wukt for me.  ;D ;)

Bad spellers of the world UNTIE!!!!

Cat
LMAO! Thanks, Cat ;D

Written By: Marian on 05/06/04 at 2:38 pm

Hairspray wrote:

How about
KILL THE FRIGHTENED CHICKENS
Muuuahahahaha!!!

Speaking of pronounciations, how about Baltimore?  You WARSH the dishes before you drive to WARSHington.  If you attend a motion picture, you go to the MEWVIES.  And a PARAMOUR might describe your lover...
or your lawn mowing machine!

:o :oThat's a ggood one!My mom says warsh sometimes,btw.

Written By: nally on 05/06/04 at 4:48 pm

There's also the common mispronunciation of certain words. For example, "nuclear" as "nucular", "mischeivous" as "mischevious" ::) (it's supposed to me MISS-chiv-ous), and the list goes on.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/06/04 at 7:28 pm

The word "process"

Canadians say proh-cess

Amerikkans say praw-cess

:)

Written By: Bobby on 05/06/04 at 7:50 pm

The word "process"

Canadians say proh-cess

Amerikkans say praw-cess

. . . And Brummies say Prowcess and Yorkshiremen say Proorcess.  ;D

Written By: Powerslave on 05/06/04 at 7:55 pm

I used to work with Fred West, an English West Country mass murderer. He always used to say 'her' instead of 'she', e.g. "her wants a drink, her does". Please be advised this is more likely to be the local dialect, rather than a feature of being a murderer... :P

You worked with Fred West? Wow. He was f***ed up!

Written By: Bobby on 05/06/04 at 8:01 pm

Wow! This might sound a little morbid but what was he like? Was he obviously messed up or did he bear the resemblance of normality. How anyone can do those depraved things and bury his family under a patio is beyond me.

Written By: Howard on 05/06/04 at 8:02 pm

"Wuz Up My Nigga"?

some african americans use when communicating with each other these days. ::)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 05/06/04 at 8:08 pm

:PI liked it better when Kentucky Fried Chicken was called just that,not KFC.And i don't like the term bling-bling much,either :PCheers!

I don't even know how bling bling came about! ???

Howard

Written By: Fred on 05/06/04 at 8:37 pm

"Wuz Up My Nigga"?

some african americans use when communicating with each other these days. ::)

Howard

It's not just black people Howard, it's stupid when 12 year old white kids say it.  ::)

Written By: briand87 on 05/07/04 at 12:28 am

i'm an american and I usually pronounce data as day-ta, it's just how I learned it i guess.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/07/04 at 12:46 am

The word "process"

Canadians say proh-cess

Amerikkans say praw-cess

I say proh-cess and I'm as American as apple pie (with LSD in it).

Never mind all this shizzle m'nizzle and what not, I don't know what these hip-hop kids say, because I can't eve approximate what they're trying to say when they're trying to say it!!

Written By: My name is Kenny on 05/07/04 at 3:57 am

According to my girlfriend, who for a short but unfortunate time in her childhood lived in a very bad neighborhood, only suburban black kids and white people of all sorts use Ebonics.  In the ghetto, you're likely to hear something like "Gimme my muhfuhin crack," but never something like "Fo shizzle my nizzle." 

In her own words:  "If you said something like that to them, they would SHOOT YOU IN YOUR A**."

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/07/04 at 8:57 am

My personal pet peeves are double negatives!!  "I'm not going nowhere". 

I hate the word samwich or (gasp) sangwich!! That drives me out of my mind.

Finally, I refuse to shop in any store that changes the spelling just to look cute, ie, "Kelly's Kreations".

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/07/04 at 10:51 am

The word "process"

Canadians say proh-cess

Amerikkans say praw-cess

In certain places in America....some say Wife while others say cousin ::)

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/07/04 at 11:05 am

Oh, that's hilarious!!!! ;D ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/07/04 at 11:42 am

Oh, that's hilarious!!!! ;D ;D
Thanks, ladybug316...I know a few people who might not think so though ::)

Written By: Howard on 05/07/04 at 11:53 am

How about those 2 word/s:

YO

My Peeps

??? >:(

Howard

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/07/04 at 1:43 pm

I always say, if she ain't good enough for her own family, she ain't good enough for me!

Here are two that I despise:
Yo, come on over to my crib.
Don't get all up in my grill !
And when did the expression of amorous feelings for another become:
Yo, I wanna get wit'choo!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/07/04 at 4:37 pm

Well, in certain places in America, your wife is your cousin 8)
I used to know....ah...strike that ;) ;)

Written By: Bobby on 05/08/04 at 9:54 am

Ha ha! Nice one, Rocknrollfan!  ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 05/08/04 at 10:03 am

One that really drives me nuts is borrow/lend.  My sister asks people to "borrow" her something instead of lend.

Also, incorrect use of their/there/they're.

Written By: Koop on 05/08/04 at 10:58 am

Also, incorrect use of their/there/they're.

That one bothers me, too. 

And also the incorrect use of your/you're annoys me.

Written By: nally on 05/08/04 at 11:12 am

My personal pet peeves are double negatives!!  "I'm not going nowhere". 

That's right. If you're "not going nowhere", then you are going somewhere.

Also, it really bugs me to see the word "everyday" misused. So many people use it to mean "every day", but that's not what it means. Everyday (as a compound word) is an adjective meaning "done on a daily basis" or something like that. Sample sentence: This is an everyday problem. I go to work every day (not everyday).

Written By: AL-B on 05/08/04 at 12:42 pm

One of the absolute funniest headlines I ever saw in "The Onion" was, "African-American Neighborhood Terrorized By 'Ask' Murderer." ;D ;D ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/08/04 at 1:01 pm

I always say, if she ain't good enough for her own family, she ain't good enough for me!

;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/08/04 at 1:02 pm

Ha ha! Nice one, Rocknrollfan!  ;D
Thanks, Bobby :D

Written By: Howard on 05/08/04 at 3:42 pm

When someone refers to a bunch of people as you's. >:( ???

Howard

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/08/04 at 4:30 pm

How about all those cutsie-pie ways that people spell names?  I feel sorry for the kids  :P

-Duane, Dwain, DeWayne, DuWayne, DiWain

-Erika, Erica, Eryka, Erycha, Eryca

-Anthony, Anfernee, Antonee, Anfrony

-Antoine, Antwan, Antuan

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/08/04 at 4:32 pm

How about all those cutsie-pie ways that people spell names?  I feel sorry for the kids  :P

-Antoine, Antwan, Antuan

I think some of the variations might be ethnic, or they're just trying to be original.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/09/04 at 12:47 pm

-Antoine, Antwan, Antuan

I have heard (but not too sure how true this is) that Shakspeare used to spell his name differently everytime he spelled it. But the interesting thing is is that he never spelled it the way we spell it. Again, I don't know how true that is.

Cat

Written By: nally on 05/09/04 at 5:44 pm

-Antoine, Antwan, Antuan

I'm ok with variant spellings of first names. However, anytime I see my name (Jeffrey) spelled differently, I don't like it. (That is, when it refers to me.) Sometimes they'll transpose the 'r' and the 'e'; occasionally they might use the Geoffrey spelling, but that hasn't happened to me in at least ten years. And my mom, whose name is Janis, often gets her name spelled wrong with a 'ce'; that bugs me too. ::)

Written By: gumbypiz on 05/10/04 at 1:03 am

OK, I'm probably the only one who has this take on the subject on grammar and language...
The way I see it is, so what?

The English language as it is, is the most difficult and arbitrary of any on the globe. Spelling rules, grammar rules, subject/verb agreement, are bizarre if not completely loony.  Many a comedian has spent time ranting about how strange our "English" is...difficult to write, and easily misunderstood. Can you really explain to an intelligent child why the "I" before "E" rule (or others like it) exist, and why so many exceptions to the rules of spelling and grammar?

Can we really be surprised that the language that we use has (and always will be) changed, modified and manipulated by people, groups or whomever in order to get their message through?
This country is made of different peoples from different places, and we all bring a twist to language.
Language is a evolving medium, its always changing, and as long as we understand what is being said, then so be it.

We need not feel threatened by the changes in language or casual speak because we don't understand it or wasn't what we were taught to be "correct" in grade school twenty years ago.
As long as we don't use "proper" English as a barrier to separate and  divide us from others (privileged and poor, educated and not) then we should try and break from some of the silly grammar rules and make new ones that are inclusive to all so we can all figure out what we are really saying to one another.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/10/04 at 1:23 am

OK, I'm probably the only one who has this take on the subject on grammar and language...
The way I see it is, so what?

The English language as it is, is the most difficult and arbitrary of any on the globe. Spelling rules, grammar rules, subject/verb agreement, are bizarre if not completely loony.  Many a comedian has spent time ranting about how strange our "English" is...difficult to write, and easily misunderstood. Can you really explain to an intelligent child why the "I" before "E" rule (or others like it) exist, and why so many exceptions to the rules of spelling and grammar?

Can we really be surprised that the language that we use has (and always will be) changed, modified and manipulated by people, groups or whomever in order to get their message through?
This country is made of different peoples from different places, and we all bring a twist to language.
Language is a evolving medium, its always changing, and as long as we understand what is being said, then so be it.

We need not feel threatened by the changes in language or casual speak because we don't understand it or wasn't what we were taught to be "correct" in grade school twenty years ago.
As long as we don't use "proper" English as a barrier to separate and  divide us from others (privileged and poor, educated and not) then we should try and break from some of the silly grammar rules and make new ones that are inclusive to all so we can all figure out what we are really saying to one another.

I agree.  I comment on grammar and spelling more out of amusement than anything else.

Written By: philbo on 05/10/04 at 5:10 am

Hey, what an appropriate bit of timing... one thing that always gets my goat is the way each "Friends" episode starts "The one where..." - with such an annoying misuse of the English language, no wonder I've never watched any further  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/11/04 at 12:14 am

Hey, what an appropriate bit of timing... one thing that always gets my goat is the way each "Friends" episode starts "The one where..." - with such an annoying misuse of the English language, no wonder I've never watched any further  ::)

You mean they're supposed to say, "The one in which..."?  I don't know, I never watched "Friends," not even the beginning!

Here's one that bugs me, maybe somebody mentioned it:
'NOTHER.
As in, "That's a whole 'nother issue."  No no no no!  It's either "another issue," or "a whole other issue"!  (sorry to sound like Miss Grundy.)

And another:
UNIQUE as a comparitive.
As in, "Dude, that idea is very unique, I think that's the most unique idea I've ever heard!"
Unique is unique, never more or less.

LITERALLY used hyperbolically.
As in, "When she heard the news, she literally fell to pieces."  Must have been a big mess there.
However, linguists do not universally agree that "literally" literally must always mean literally.
;D

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 05/11/04 at 8:34 am

I'm ok with variant spellings of first names. However, anytime I see my name (Jeffrey) spelled differently, I don't like it. (That is, when it refers to me.) Sometimes they'll transpose the 'r' and the 'e'; occasionally they might use the Geoffrey spelling, but that hasn't happened to me in at least ten years.

Oh I hear you there.  My name is Jeff also and full name is spelled with the REY ending and annoying when someone spells it wrong.  In fact I had a credit card at one time with the 'ery spelling that irritated me to no end.  Some people are just clueless on how to spell a fairly common name. 

Written By: Apricot on 11/30/04 at 10:05 am

I don't like when people in America take foreign spellings. I have a friend who spells things like "tyre", "plaugarism", and "litre". It would be okay if he was raised with those spellings, but he wasn't. It's just arrogant to me.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 11/30/04 at 10:19 am

I don't like when people in America take foreign spellings. I have a friend who spells things like "tyre", "plaugarism", and "litre". It would be okay if he was raised with those spellings, but he wasn't. It's just arrogant to me.

I adopted British spelling and words a long time ago. It just looks better...and anyway, they invented the English language, didn't they? :)

But then, I'm not an American....8)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: philbo on 11/30/04 at 10:25 am

I don't like when people in America take foreign spellings.

I get the same sort of feeling whenever I forget to turn off the MS Word spell-checker ;)

and anyway, they invented the English language, didn't they? :)

Well, not really: we just borrowed lots of bits from the Romans, French (Normans, anyway), Saxons, Danes, Celts, Arabs (not many, but some of the best words.. such as alcohol)

PS I'm not sure which word is spelt "plaugarism"... now, "plagiarism", I do understand ;)

Written By: AngeFaitore on 11/30/04 at 10:49 am

Okay, I have a LONG list.

First, how some people pronounce Mature. MATOOR! AAAAHHH! The best example of this is in the Ned and Stacey episode 'Dorsey vs. Dorsey'. Ned and Stacey are having an argument in a restaurant and within the argument, Stacey pronounces it Matoor and then when Ned talks, he pronounces it Mature.

Leet Speak. I can't stand it and it seems like all the Sonic the Hedgehog fans like to use it. 7Hi2 I2 r3alLY 57upid. i D0n'7 unD3r57aND WHY P30PL3 U23 crAP Lik3 7hI2 70 5p3LL. (7RAN5LA73 UR 0wn L337 a7: http://www.jayssite.com/stuff/l33t/l33t_translator.html ).

The chronic spelling of The as the! Another affliction of the Sonic the Hedgehog community.

Apostrophes (EX: apostrophe's, can's, bag's, carton's, boxe's, rag's )  :o where they don't belong. 

People in chat rooms who think they're Prince. A/S/L Plz. Where R U from? U like 2 cyber? U really cuoot.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 11/30/04 at 10:50 am

I get the same sort of feeling whenever I forget to turn off the MS Word spell-checker ;)

Me too. I just ignore all the underlined words. ;)

Well, not really: we just borrowed lots of bits from the Romans, French (Normans, anyway), Saxons, Danes, Celts, Arabs (not many, but some of the best words.. such as alcohol)

...But nothing from the Americans...until recently or so it would seem. :-\\ Now "alcohol" is a universal word we can all understand!!! :D

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 11/30/04 at 10:54 am

People in chat rooms who think they're Prince. A/S/L Plz. Where R U from? U like 2 cyber? U really cuoot.

Oh I hate that!!! I get it all the time, especially from people who message me on Yahoo. It's awful! I don't bother with them for too long because that way of spelling/typing annoys the sh*t out of me!!! I even told someone to stop typing like Prince!!!! >:(

Absolutely Vile

Written By: LyricBoy on 11/30/04 at 11:07 am

Some people are just clueless on how to spell a fairly common name. 

Yeah, like Duane, Dwayne, Dwain, DuWayne, DeWayne...

...or...

Antoine, Antwan, Auntwan, Antwaan, An'twon

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/30/04 at 11:17 am

Does the language used today make you feel  ::)  In one Martin Lawerence movie...an alleged comedy...he contuinually yells "What The Problem Is!"...I think Hollywood has contributed big time to kids bad grammer today. Also seeing shaq say that Radio Shack should be spelled Radio "Shaq"... McDonalds restaraunts are now "Micky-Dees" and Sunny-Delight is "Sunny-D"to name just a few. Can anybody come up with some more examples of these wretched habits.....be it bad grammar or bad spelling?

Radio Shaq?  ::)  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/30/04 at 11:19 am

Howard

LOL!!!! Good question....  ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/30/04 at 11:22 am

Yeah, well, I pronounce them that way (the way I've indicated) because I'm used to it. I'm also not an American so I'd like to distinguish myself as such. Canada is a Commonwealth country, so it should be more British, not American! :)

Absolutely Vile

I am Canadian... and ummmmmm.... I have no comment.  ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/30/04 at 11:23 am

I don't even know how bling bling came about! ???

Howard

Good question... I am not sure either.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 11/30/04 at 11:24 am

I am Canadian... and ummmmmm.... I have no comment.  ::)

No comment needed, Jamie. "I AM CANADIAN" says it all...;)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/30/04 at 11:36 am

No comment needed, Jamie. "I AM CANADIAN" says it all...;)

Absolutely Vile

I love the I am Canadian ads that where on T.V. awhile back.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 11/30/04 at 11:44 am

I love the I am Canadian ads that where on T.V. awhile back.

Oh me too! I've seen the T-shirts as well! Did you see William Shatner's take on it on Just For Laughs? I'm not a Star Trek fan in the least, but it was funny!!! :)

Absolutely Vile

Written By: philbo on 11/30/04 at 11:47 am

Apostrophes (EX: apostrophe's, can's, bag's, carton's, boxe's, rag's ) :o where they don't belong.

You might enjoy these, then:

'Postrophe (to 'Yesterday' by The Beatles)
Apostrophes contd. - A Few of the Difficult Bits (to 'A Few of my Favourite Things' by Maria (Sound of Music))

;)

Written By: AngeFaitore on 11/30/04 at 12:23 pm

Radio Shaq?  ::)  ;D

It sounds SO European!  :D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/30/04 at 12:28 pm

Oh me too! I've seen the T-shirts as well! Did you see William Shatner's take on it on Just For Laughs? I'm not a Star Trek fan in the least, but it was funny!!! :)

Absolutely Vile

For everyone to check out here it is!

"Hey, I'm not a Starfleet Commander or T.J. Hooker.

I don't live on Starship NCC dash 1701 or own a phaser.

I don't know anyone named Bones, Sulu or Spock.

And no, I've never had Green Alien Sex -- although I'm sure it would be quite an evening.

I speak English and French, not Klingon. I drink Labatt's, not Romulan Ale.

And when someone says to me, 'Live long and prosper,' I seriously mean it when I say 'Get a life!'

My doctor's name is not McCoy, it's Ginsberg.

And Tribbles were puppets! Not real animals!! Puppets!!!

And when I speak, I never, ever, talk / like / every / word / is / its / own / sentence!

I live in California, but I was raised in Montreal.

I believe in Priceline Dot Com, where you never have to pay full price for airline tickets, hotels and car rentals.

I have appeared on stage at Stratford, Carnegie Hall, Albert Hall and at the Monkland Theatre in NDG (Notre Dame de Grace).

And yes, I've gone where no man has gone before. But I was in Mexico and her father gave me permission.

My name is William Shatner and I AM CANADIAN." 

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 11/30/04 at 12:30 pm

"Hey, I'm not a Starfleet Commander or T.J. Hooker.

I don't live on Starship NCC dash 1701 or own a phaser.

I don't know anyone named Bones, Sulu or Spock.

And no, I've never had Green Alien Sex -- although I'm sure it would be quite an evening.

I speak English and French, not Klingon. I drink Labatt's, not Romulan Ale.

And when someone says to me, 'Live long and prosper,' I seriously mean it when I say 'Get a life!'

My doctor's name is not McCoy, it's Ginsberg.

And Tribbles were puppets! Not real animals!! Puppets!!!

And when I speak, I never, ever, talk / like / every / word / is / its / own / sentence!

I live in California, but I was raised in Montreal.

I believe in Priceline Dot Com, where you never have to pay full price for airline tickets, hotels and car rentals.

I have appeared on stage at Stratford, Carnegie Hall, Albert Hall and at the Monkland Theatre in NDG (Notre Dame de Grace).

And yes, I've gone where no man has gone before. But I was in Mexico and her father gave me permission.

ROFLMAO!!!!!! God that was good...;D

Absolutely Vile

Written By: philbo on 11/30/04 at 1:04 pm

And it is possible that I released the worst version of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" that has ever been heard

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/30/04 at 6:02 pm

And it is possible that I released the worst version of "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" that has ever been heard

Get this... William Shatner has released a new album....  ::)

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0002RUPH4/qid=1101854334/sr=8-1/ref=pd_csp_1/102-2778198-8053733?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/30/04 at 6:21 pm

I don't even know how bling bling came about!

Howard

Good question... I am not sure either.

That got started in Chinese gangland, referring all the fashion accessories you "bling" with you when you go out...
:-\\

Written By: HeartsAfire on 11/30/04 at 7:05 pm

Speaking of pronounciations, how about Baltimore?  You WARSH the dishes before you drive to WARSHington.

That drives me crazy.  My ex used to say that.  A few others that got under my skin include:

"You ort to" (You ought to)
"tire" (tower)
"shire" (shower)
"fahr" (fire)
"wahr" (wire)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/30/04 at 7:10 pm

That drives me crazy.  My ex used to say that.  A few others that got under my skin include:

"You ort to" (You ought to)
"tire" (tower)
"shire" (shower)
"fahr" (fire)
"wahr" (wire)

My uncle is from the area, used to "warsh" the dishes then go to the "meuvies."

In Baltimore, a "paramour" may refer to your lover, or your lawn mowing machine!
;D

Written By: AngeFaitore on 11/30/04 at 9:10 pm

I have to admit to doing that one from time to time, but it has nothing to do with Sonic, it's just a typo :-[ ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Believe me, the Sonic community is overrun with 3l33t Speakers.
If you can get validated, look at the Fans United for SatAM board sometime. 

Written By: Howard on 11/30/04 at 10:04 pm

everyday I hear a whole mess of idiotic language from my parents. ;D

Howard

Written By: HeartsAfire on 11/30/04 at 11:25 pm

You'd hear alot of the "warsh", "ort to"... oh... and "of a day" (as opposed to "during the day")... in Tennessee as well.

In Baltimore, a "paramour" may refer to your lover, or your lawn mowing machine!
;D

;D  Or perhaps two mowing machines? 

Written By: zcrito on 12/01/04 at 12:11 am

;D

Warsh?

That's me. Gulity as charged.  :-[
Brought to my attention by some people I work with, who had moved down from Vermont.
;D

Written By: Steve2891 on 12/01/04 at 2:07 am

I don't know if this has been said already, but I HATE when people spell "with"  w/ and "without"  w/o.

Written By: Howard on 12/01/04 at 9:33 pm

yuckapuck
schmecklehead

the stupid language my father uses when calling my Mother names. ;D

Howard

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/01/04 at 10:32 pm

I don't know if this has been said already, but I HATE when people spell "with"  w/ and "without"  w/o.

I hate when people say "I hate when" instead of "I hate it when"!

Written By: nally on 12/01/04 at 11:56 pm

I hate when people say "I hate when" instead of "I hate it when"!

...which makes me wonder which phrase is correct. ??? ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/02/04 at 11:49 am

...which makes me wonder which phrase is correct. ??? ::)

"I hate it when" is correct.

Written By: goodsin on 12/02/04 at 12:58 pm

Another "Friendsism" that gets my goat is when people say "so not", e.g. "that Friends show is so not contributing to good English standards", or even when they use "so" in a similar sense, such as the post on this MB saying "ringtones are so five minutes ago" (sorry, whoever posted that!). I'd go as far as saying "using the word so in this sense is so 2 years ago".

Language will continue to evolve (or devolve, as Cat said) forever. I personally think that global broadcasting of US media has a lot to do with the current state of it- I'd imagine more people are exposed to this than UK broadcasts, and that therefore manners of speaking English are more likely to be learnt from an American viewpoint, rather than a true English one. As the US is a lot more multi-cultural than the UK, language used by these other cultures is likely to fall into common usage a lot more quickly in the US- this then gets broadcast all over the world as a representation of English, which the viewers then pick up & bring into usage. It even happens in the UK, example as per above.

Another major factor in the falling standards of written English must be text messaging. The need to abbreviate everything to within 160 characters has caused some abominations to be created, which sadly now seem to be spilling over into e-mail communication too. I'd rather read a slightly longer e-mail written in proper words, than some mumbo-jumbo that takes ages to decipher and makes my brain jerk when I try to read it!  ::) :P

Next catalyst: Microsoft spellcheckers...eventually US spellings will supercede UK ones for English words, due to the worldwide proliferation of MS products telling people US spellings & grammar are correct. Perhaps it's time to make the distinction between American English & Standard (or UK)English, lest the original is misrepresented to such an extent as to become unrecognisable... 

Lest anyone should think I am blaming this decline all on the US, I'm not. If anyone gets the impression I think my English is perfect, I know it's not- but I do make the effort to spell things correctly etc, which is generally all it takes. A lot of bad spelling and grammar is just laziness, and I don't think the culture of "wanting to put in as little effort as possible" will end soon, among those who choose to express themselves in such a manner...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/05/04 at 6:07 pm

Not only the language but the how people pronounce words...like that stupid McDonald's commercial where the moron can't light a grill..."I don't see yuuu duuuuin' anything"  ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/05/04 at 6:16 pm

Or the whole "extra letter" thing....

Things that you might not be aware of...

Dirty is now Dirrty
Here is now Herre

Written By: Wolveroses on 12/06/04 at 10:59 am

|^|0|^| |-|4v3|\|'+ 533|\| +h|5 ||\| 4 |^||-|i73.  |)||)|\|'+ | 5+4R+ +|-||5?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/06/04 at 11:06 am

???

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 12/06/04 at 11:08 am

???

It took me a while, but I figured it out!

Absolutely Vile

Written By: karen on 12/06/04 at 11:48 am

4|_|^|4\/5 +|-|0|_|8|-|+ 1+ |^|45 23||4

Written By: AngeFaitore on 12/06/04 at 11:57 am

Translation:

i^bi^i haven't seen this in an i^ihite.  didn't i start this?

au^iavs thoubht it i^ias zella

Obviously the leet isn't really complete, according to the translator.

http://www.jayssite.com/stuff/l33t/l33t_translator.html

Written By: Chrisrj on 12/06/04 at 11:38 pm

I don't know if it qualifies, but I absolutely HATE when I'm chatting with someone and they abbreviate the simplest words instead of spelling them out. For example, "U" for "you", "I C" for "I see", "2morrow" for "tomorrow", and so on.

The way I see it(not I C :P ), if you're in a chatroom and you want to say something quick, it's handy.  But if you're in a web forum like this one, it is annoying. 

What I'm saying is, if you have to misspell, do it for convenience, as long as it's legible.

Written By: nally on 12/06/04 at 11:43 pm

The chronic spelling of The as the!

MS Word always corrects that. ::)

Apostrophes (EX: apostrophe's, can's, bag's, carton's, boxe's, rag's )  :o where they don't belong. 

Oh yeah, I HATE that! Same deal with "it's" and "its"; I may have mentioned that earlier in this thread. So many people (even those who are very educated) have used "it's" to mean what "its" is supposed to mean. For example, if you write, "The cat licked it's face," then what you're saying is "The cat licked it is face," which doesn't make any sense. Sometimes I even see apostrophical errors on public signs too; that annoys the heck out of me.

Written By: Wolveroses on 12/07/04 at 4:57 am

Translation:

i^bi^i haven't seen this in an i^ihite.  didn't i start this?

au^iavs thoubht it i^ias zella

Obviously the leet isn't really complete, according to the translator.
http://www.jayssite.com/stuff/l33t/l33t_translator.html

|^||-|0 (4r35?  |+'5 5+|11 fu|\| +0 |)0.  | u53 +0 |<|\|0|^| 411 +|-|3 13++3r5. 

Written By: karen on 12/07/04 at 5:29 am

|)||)|\|'+ r34|i53 |+ |^|45 4 |_4|\|6u463.  | ;u5+ 6o+ |+ |=r0|\/| |-|3r3
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,1251.0.html

Written By: goodsin on 12/07/04 at 9:35 am

Yeah, like Duane, Dwayne, Dwain, DuWayne, DeWayne...

...or...

Antoine, Antwan, Auntwan, Antwaan, An'twon

Hey, this reminds me of where I live, in Chavtown, UK. I saw a woman the other day, she had five sons, all callled "Wayne". I asked her why, she said it's easier to get the kids' attention when calling them in for dinner etc. I asked her what she did if she wanted to call them individually- to which she replied "Oh, then I just use their surnames!" ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/07/04 at 12:15 pm

MS Word always corrects that. ::)
Oh yeah, I HATE that! Same deal with "it's" and "its"; I may have mentioned that earlier in this thread. So many people (even those who are very educated) have used "it's" to mean what "its" is supposed to mean. For example, if you write, "The cat licked it's face," then what you're saying is "The cat licked it is face," which doesn't make any sense. Sometimes I even see apostrophical errors on public signs too; that annoys the heck out of me.
I've made some mistakes here...one in particular was a Beatles song "Your Mother Should Know"..I erred by tying it as "You're Mother Should Know"...and was chastised by you, Jeff. All kidding aside, I don't mind when people point out my mistakes ;) I do take offense when I spell a word correctly though and have someone say "No, it's spelled THIS way" and it turns out it's the SAME way I already spelled it :D

Written By: philbo on 12/07/04 at 12:32 pm

I do take offense when I spell a word correctly though and have someone say "No, it's spelled THIS way" and it turns out it's the SAME way I already spelled it :D

Surely there's no point in taking offence when someone else can't read, though ;)

...and though it does irk me a little when some little brat tells me that I'm spelling "diarrhoea" wrong, I have friends for whom it's much more of an issue (there's a story behind that remark, as you might have guessed ;))

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/07/04 at 12:39 pm

Surely there's no point in taking offence when someone else can't read, though ;)

...and though it does irk me a little when some little brat tells me that I'm spelling "diarrhoea" wrong, I have friends for whom it's much more of an issue (there's a story behind that remark, as you might have guessed ;))

;D Indeed...or is it...Indeeeed :D ;)

Written By: nally on 12/08/04 at 12:38 am

I've made some mistakes here...one in particular was a Beatles song "Your Mother Should Know"..I erred by tying it as "You're Mother Should Know"...and was chastised by you, Jeff. All kidding aside, I don't mind when people point out my mistakes ;) I do take offense when I spell a word correctly though and have someone say "No, it's spelled THIS way" and it turns out it's the SAME way I already spelled it :D

Sometimes the correct spelling of one word can be the incorrect spelling of another word, and I'm not just talking about homophones. For example, someone could type the word "form" when they mean "from" (or vice-versa), and a spelling checker would never catch that. Isn't that amazing? :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/08/04 at 12:51 am

Sometimes the correct spelling of one word can be the incorrect spelling of another word, and I'm not just talking about homophones. For example, someone could type the word "form" when they mean "from" (or vice-versa), and a spelling checker would never catch that. Isn't that amazing? :-\\
It really is. As I said though Jeff, I have NO problem with being corrected by you or anyone else it's just when someone (Not you) corrected me by telling me how a word was to be spelled and....I had spelled it that way already! That's kind of annoying ::) :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 05/14/05 at 10:04 pm

I hate whenever people, instead of saying, "could I please have a slice of bread..etc"....

they say..."can I GET a slice of bread"

I absolutely loath that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erin :)

Written By: NullandVoid on 05/15/05 at 5:41 am

First of all, I don't like it when when people use the term "Ebonics" to describe bad grammar usage in "Proper English".
This is a racial and often offensive term used to describe the way the African Americans supposedly speak.

I don't mean to personally attack any one who may have used this term here, I'm just merely stating a gripe of mine. ok? :)

Anyways, personally I'm not to hung up on the way people speak. As long as I understand you and 95% of what you're saying is English, We're cool. The only thing I really can't take how ever is repetition. When people constantly use the same terms constantly it bugs me out.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/15/05 at 6:25 am

Schedule: Sked-jool or Shed-jool
Pronunciation: Pro-noun-c-ay-shin or Pro-nun-c-ay-shin
A*sehole: A*s-hole or arrs-hole
Mum: Mum or Mom
Envelope: En-vil-ope or On-vil-ope
Garage: Ga-rige or Ga-rarge
Often: Of-tin or Of-fin
Route: Root or Raout
Z: Zed or Zee

only a few British/American differences in pronunciations.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 05/15/05 at 6:48 am

When people say "diss". Eg: Stop dissing The Beatles, they are cool. (Stop putting down The Beatles, they are cool.)

Written By: jiminy on 05/15/05 at 10:26 am

I hate whenever people, instead of saying, "could I please have a slice of bread..etc"....

they say..."can I GET a slice of bread"

I absolutely loath that!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Erin :)

I loaf it too   :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/15/05 at 2:14 pm

The term I hate is "My bad".  ::)

Cat

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 05/15/05 at 9:03 pm

I hate "My Bad", too. I first started hearing it around 1994.

Written By: Kyle on 05/17/05 at 5:53 pm

G4TV used to be called TechTV, which I like better.

Game Show Network is now GSN.

And the worst one of all time

*drum roll*

Cartoon network is now CN.  :D

Written By: ElDuderino on 05/17/05 at 9:04 pm

Diss is short for disrespect.

Some of the slang used today sounds silly, some of it I like and use. I use chill, holler, and crib I admit. Bud too. ;D

Its ridiculous when overdone, but any slang is that way. The Baby Boomers had plenty of slang too.

Speaking of slang from the past..anyone noticed how the word "cat" for guy and "broad" for woman have both come back into the mainstream as slang?

Written By: nally on 05/17/05 at 10:04 pm

Game Show Network is now GSN.

And ever since they became officially known by their initials, they took away all the good shows began putting a lot of crappy shows on, many of which aren't even game shows! I think the acronym truly stands for "Getting Stupid Network."

Written By: Everlong on 05/17/05 at 10:12 pm

I go to a school where so much slang is used, since we have a lot of ghetto people- so it doesn't really annoy me, and most of it is hysterical.  If you can't beat them, mock them :D.  It's fun.

A bit unrelated, but this made me laugh today- two kids were having a 'your mom' argument in class:

Kid#1:  You sound like a girl.
Kid#2:  Your mom's a girl!

Written By: ... on 11/09/06 at 7:16 pm

Diss is short for disrespect.

Sometimes it can be short for discredit. Same idea though.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/09/06 at 10:34 pm

Sometimes it can be short for discredit. Same idea though.

It's always been disrespect - nothing else.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/09/06 at 10:41 pm

It's always been disrespect - nothing else.

"If you're dissing the sisters, you ain't fighting the power."

I agree with the statement, but when I started seeing it on Volvo station wagons in Cambridge, I thought it became a bit hackneyed!

Check for new replies or respond here...