inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ketchup....Catsup!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/06/04 at 5:12 pm

What IS the difference and Why the different names :-\\

Subject: Re: Ketchup....Catsup!

Written By: SmithsGirl on 05/06/04 at 5:32 pm

Hehe..funny.

I think ones french and ones the english? Just a guess...could be wrong.

SmithsGirl

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/06/04 at 7:28 pm

Hehe..funny.

I think ones french and ones the english? Just a guess...could be wrong.

SmithsGirl
Thanks, SmithsGirl....it's really bothered me since that episode of "The Simpsons"...where Mr. Burns goes shopping alone. He stands there holding a different bottle in each and saying "Ketchup...Catsup"  :D

Written By: mrgazpacho on 05/06/04 at 7:30 pm

Maybe one is made with *real* cats?! :P

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/06/04 at 7:42 pm

Nasty, mrgazpacho :o

Written By: Howard on 05/06/04 at 8:10 pm

Hey,might be tasty! ;D

Howard

Written By: MooRocca on 05/06/04 at 10:00 pm

What IS the difference and Why the different names :-\\

Catsup is just a variation of the word ketchup, an alternate way of saying/spelling it.  The word(s) derived from a Japanese word for a fish-based sauce (or something along those lines.)  Both catsup and ketchup are legitimate spellings for the tomato-based condiment, but ketchup is generally the preferred spelling for professional uses (like cookbooks.)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/06/04 at 10:11 pm

I always have thought it was just because SOMEONE wanted to be different, the question is (was) WHO ?  :o

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/06/04 at 10:26 pm

Catsup is just a variation of the word ketchup, an alternate way of saying/spelling it.  The word(s) derived from a Japanese word for a fish-based sauce (or something along those lines.)  Both catsup and ketchup are legitimate spellings for the tomato-based condiment, but ketchup is generally the preferred spelling for professional uses (like cookbooks.)

Thanks MooRocca...that makes sense to me :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/06/04 at 11:08 pm

My dictionary says it derives from the Chinese dialect from the island of Amoy.  Ke-tsiap: pickeled fish brine.  I suppose, to be technical, you would specify tomato ketchup in reference to the product we know generically as ketchup.  The dictionary defines it as "any of various sauces for meat."  They give tomato ketchup and mushroom ketchup as examples.  I've never seen a mushroom ketchup, but John Cage refers to the making of mushroom ketchup in one of his monologues.

Written By: MooRocca on 05/07/04 at 10:01 am

My dictionary says it derives from the Chinese dialect from the island of Amoy.  Ke-tsiap: pickeled fish brine.  I suppose, to be technical, you would specify tomato ketchup in reference to the product we know generically as ketchup.  The dictionary defines it as "any of various sauces for meat."  They give tomato ketchup and mushroom ketchup as examples.  I've never seen a mushroom ketchup, but John Cage refers to the making of mushroom ketchup in one of his monologues.

I wasn't sure I was remembering the specifics exactly right.  I don't like tomato ketchup, but I guess I'd rather eat that on my fries than pickled fish brine or mushroom ketchup.   

Written By: Jessica on 05/07/04 at 10:55 am

I wasn't sure I was remembering the specifics exactly right.   I don't like tomato ketchup, but I guess I'd rather eat that on my fries than pickled fish brine or mushroom ketchup.   

Pickled fish brine is nasty. It was called for in some Vietnamese dish I made. Believe me, I NEVER made that dish again. :P

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/07/04 at 11:41 am

Then it's Thanks to you, MaxwellSmart ;D

Written By: nally on 05/07/04 at 12:20 pm

I always go with "ketchup." In my opinion, that's the correct spelling. For the life of me, I don't understand how "catsup" can be pronounced "ketchup"; I've always looked at it and thought, "cat sup," which has always sounded disgusting to me. :P

When I was a little kid I used to think that.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/07/04 at 1:37 pm

That reminds me of a joke from 6th grade:

Peanut oil is made from peanuts
Lemon oil is made from lemons
Coconut oil is made fom coconuts
Linseed oil is made from linseeds--

What's "baby oil" made from?

Very scared of reality!

Anyway, I think all brands of ketchup are now spelled "ketchup."  I heard the Musical "Cats" is coming back as "Ketch."
:D

Written By: FanOfTheMonkees on 05/07/04 at 2:43 pm

I put ketchup on everything, I love it. I eat it plain, right out of the bottle too.

Written By: MooRocca on 05/07/04 at 3:06 pm

That reminds me of a joke from 6th grade:

Peanut oil is made from peanuts
Lemon oil is made from lemons
Coconut oil is made fom coconuts
Linseed oil is made from linseeds--

What's "baby oil" made from?

Gee, now I feel kinda bad about feeding my kids baby food when they were little.  ;)

Anyway, I think all brands of ketchup are now spelled "ketchup."  I heard the Musical "Cats" is coming back as "Ketch."
:D

LOL!

Written By: Rush on 05/07/04 at 9:21 pm

Ketchup. Catsup. Ketchup. Catsup. I'm in over my head.  ;D

Written By: Rush on 05/07/04 at 9:24 pm

Are you here to solve my ketchup problem?

Written By: Howard on 05/08/04 at 3:44 pm

What is your Ketchup problem? ;D

Howard

Written By: hoogbest on 05/30/04 at 12:26 am

I believe Heinz has a copyright on the word Ketchup so other companies such as Hunts started using catsup which is a synonym for the Heinz word. 

Written By: AL-B on 05/30/04 at 12:39 am

I don't think I've ever heard anyone use the word "catsup" in everyday conversation. For some reason, the word "catsup" irritates me, I'm not exactly sure why. ???

Written By: Bobo on 05/30/04 at 12:42 am

Yeeees, that's right.

Relax, you've gone off your nut, so we're shoving you into an old folks' home!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/30/04 at 6:56 am

"You'll never catch up.
Dad, pass the ketchup !"
--Devo
"Social Fools"

Written By: Howard on 05/30/04 at 10:16 am

I love Ketchup on my fries and cheeseburger. :D

Howard

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/30/04 at 3:23 pm

Howard

"Food coming up another four miles,
coffee, fries and a CHEESBURGER!
---Gang of Four
"Cheeseburger"

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/12/05 at 5:56 pm

Any other theories about the difference ???

Written By: bj26 on 05/13/05 at 7:12 am

In Spanish it's pronounced, Cot - soup, like two distinct words, pronounced cot, like a sleeping cot, and 2nd word soop, like soup, it's delicious :)
Remember this Cow and Chicken ;D
Happy Meat: Chicken is sick of the cafeteria's food, which is nothing but a steady diet of ketchup. Since Chicken is against it, he has been banned from eating anything from the cafeteria. After a halusination of seeing his great grandpa and grandma, Cow and Chicken decide to open up their own little meat cafe, which turns out to be quite popular.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/13/05 at 8:32 am

Howard

Me too!  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...