inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Quagmire vs. Boomhauer

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/18/04 at 1:07 am

This poll assumes you are familiar with both animated series
King of the Hill, featuring the mumbling Texas bachelor Jeff Boomhauer, and Family Guy, featuring the robe-wearing Rhode Island Hugh Hefner, Glen Quagmire.  I didn't cast a vote just yet.  I'm more interested in the views of the public.
8)

Subject: Re: Quagmire vs. Boomhauer

Written By: gumbypiz on 05/18/04 at 2:04 am

To have to choose between two completely offensive, oversexed bachlor pad guys is difficult...No offense to Boomhauer, but Glen Quagmire is my choice.

Hmm, I wonder why? ;)

Quagmire: "Hey there, sweety, how old are you?"
Connie: "Sixteen."
Quagmire: "Eighteen? You're first."
Connie: "Mom!!!!"
Quagmire: "I like where this is going. Giggity, giggity, gig-it-ty.
Alll Righht..."

Quagmire: "Hey Peter, you can't drink that outside. You can end up in jail. And not the good jail like on Cinemax. The man jail."  ;D

Written By: duranchick on 05/18/04 at 3:53 pm

My vote goes to Boomhauer.

Written By: Cheetara on 05/18/04 at 4:10 pm

Boomhauer

Written By: Jessica on 05/18/04 at 4:53 pm

Quagmire. I never could stand Boomhauer...or King of the Hill for that matter. :P

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/18/04 at 5:00 pm

Boomhauer. I never could stand Quagmire..or Family Guy for that matter. :P ;)

Quagmire. I never could stand Boomhauer...or King of the Hill for that matter. :P

Written By: resinchaser on 05/18/04 at 5:04 pm

Quagmire for sure.

Peter: If you could be stranded on a desert island with any woman in the world, who would it be?
Quagmire: Taylor Hanson.
Joe Swanson: Taylor Hanson is a guy.
Quagmire: You guys are yankin' me. "Hey, let's put one over on Quagmire."
Peter: No, he's actually a guy, Quagmire.
Quagmire: What? That's insane. That's impossible.

Quagmire: Oh god. Oh my god. I've got all these magazines. Oh god.

Written By: mr.smith s on 05/18/04 at 5:15 pm

Quagmire is an awesome dude, although he does fail at time, like the Taylor Hanson mishap, where he thought that he was a she.

Aiee  ya!  That brought him down.  But I mean Boomhauer is too hickish for my tastes, but gets loads of women. So what does actually works.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/18/04 at 5:55 pm

Well, I voted for Boomhauer.  Boomhauer is cooler, but Quagmire is more fun.  I never had the guts to do what Boomhauer did when he was showing Bobby how to pick up women.  He went to the shoe store and posed as a clerk.  Finally, a young lady give him her phone number.

Bobby: But you got rejected 23 times.
Boomhaurer: (can't remember his line here)
Bobby: What about....love?
Boomahauer: HA! Watchoo talkin about? a dang ol' LOVE!

Back to FAMILY GUY.  I hear the series is back in production, or am I mistaken?  I only discovered it last year.  I watch it on Cartoon Network whenever I can.  It's weakness is it's a little too derivative of "The Simpsons," "King of the Hill," and other adult-oriented cartoon series.
But it's given me some great laughs.
I decided my personality has elements at play from all three kids:
Stewie, Meg, and Chris.
I also have an Evil Monkey in my closet!

Written By: gumbypiz on 05/18/04 at 6:18 pm

Maxwell, yes Family Guy is back in production and will return to Fox sometime in December of this year.
Seems the popularity and ratings of Family Guy on adult swim and the sales of the DVD sets have convinced Fox that it was a little too hasty to pull it off the air.

BTW, I agree Family Guy is somewhat derivative of the Simpsons (which has sort of been lacking in any "spark" as of late).  Though, I believe the comedy in Family Guy is more direct, bitingly political and more cerebral than Homer and his clan...I particularly like the swipes at religion & politics that the show is bold enough to take on. It's clear that Seth McFarlane is willing to push the boundaries more than Matt Groenig ever did.

I love the Simpsons but its obvious to me they've past their prime about 4 years ago, it's time to put Homer and Bart to bed.

Family Guy is one of the few programs that I find myself genuinely laughing out loud throughout the entire show. The writting is just so much better than most "comedy" shows on the air at the moment.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/18/04 at 6:21 pm

"I wouldn't want to come between you two ladies.....or would I.....Alright!
http://www.planet-familyguy.com/characters/pics/quagmire_tn.jpg

Written By: woops on 05/18/04 at 6:34 pm

Quagmire  from "Family Guy". 8)

Boomhauer is boring & not funny like the rest of "King of the Hill".  :P
And it's from the creator of "Beavis & Butt-Head"!?!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/18/04 at 6:35 pm

Maxwell, yes Family Guy is back in production and will return to Fox sometime in December of this year.
Seems the popularity and ratings of Family Guy on adult swim and the sales of the DVD sets have convinced Fox that it was a little too hasty to pull it off the air.

BTW, I agree Family Guy is somewhat derivative of the Simpsons (which has sort of been lacking in any "spark" as of late).  Though, I believe the comedy in Family Guy is more direct, bitingly political and more cerebral than Homer and his clan...I particularly like the swipes at religion & politics that the show is bold enough to take on. It's clear that Seth McFarlane is willing to push the boundaries more than Matt Groenig ever did.

I love the Simpsons but its obvious to me they've past their prime about 4 years ago, it's time to put Homer and Bart to bed.

Family Guy is one of the few programs that I find myself genuinely laughing out loud throughout the entire show. The writting is just so much better than most "comedy" shows on the air at the moment.

Sometimes it's a challenge to get your head around a dog who went to Brown University and has his own stock portfolio, and a baby who is the reincarnation of both Alistair Cooke AND Alistair Crowley, but when you submit to McFarlane's surreal world, it's a blast!
I totally agree with you on The Smimpsons.  They didn't learn the lesson of "quit while you're ahead."  As much as we love them, and will be sad to see them go, the time is long past due.
The advantage with an animated series is you don't have to deal with actors aging.  The problem with The Simpsons is that its whole zeitgeist was early '90s.  The popular culture changed, The Simpsons turned into a relic of yesterday's trends.
Seth McFarlane was working on a full-length "Family Guy" feature for DVD, an word on that?  Why did Fox cancel the series in the first place?  Ratings? I heard about it when it was starting up, but I didn't get into "Family Guy" until I stumbled upon the reruns last year.  The first episode I watched was the "Pygmalion" spoof, with Stewie as Henry Higgins!

"Wouldn't it be fabulous if I turned out to be a homosexsssual!"
--Stewie

Written By: gumbypiz on 05/18/04 at 7:44 pm

Seth McFarlane was working on a full-length "Family Guy" feature for DVD, an word on that?  Why did Fox cancel the series in the first place?  Ratings? I heard about it when it was starting up, but I didn't get into "Family Guy" until I stumbled upon the reruns last year. 

Kinda hoping McFarlane stays away from the full-length feature trap for the Family Guy. I like the show but question if there can be enough good writting for more than just 22 mins at a stretch.

Fox and McFarlane were at odds over the show from the "get go", budget, scheduling, political, religious & sexual content/censors, you name it, they weren't happy with each other. Fox thought they were getting a Simpson clone, McFarlane had other ideas.
Fox gave so grief content and trouble with Fox's censors, it drove McFarlane crazy. McFarlane claimed that Fox was hypocritical (and rightly so) for holding a cartoon show to a much higher standard (or any "standard" considering the network) than any other sleazy show that was on Fox at the time.
And for some reason, Fox had a particular problem with the religious jokes/jabs that McFarlane was so fond of poking fun at the "Church", though Fox never seemed to care with any other of their shows.

Fox bounced it around the schedule, thereby making it hard to find for viewers, then Fox, claiming low ratings, and the last episode of season 3 "When You Wish Upon A Weinstien" was the last straw. The show was canned and that episode never aired due to Fox's problem with the religious conntent. The censors wouldn't allow it, and thought it would offend viewers.

Both the fans of the show and Seth feel vindicated that big mean ole FOX has had a change of heart (now that they see $$$ in the show for once) and are returning it to the air.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/18/04 at 10:21 pm

Kinda hoping McFarlane stays away from the full-length feature trap for the Family Guy. I like the show but question if there can be enough good writting for more than just 22 mins at a stretch.

Fox and McFarlane were at odds over the show from the "get go", budget, scheduling, political, religious & sexual content/censors, you name it, they weren't happy with each other. Fox thought they were getting a Simpson clone, McFarlane had other ideas.
Fox gave so grief content and trouble with Fox's censors, it drove McFarlane crazy. McFarlane claimed that Fox was hypocritical (and rightly so) for holding a cartoon show to a much higher standard (or any "standard" considering the network) than any other sleazy show that was on Fox at the time.
And for some reason, Fox had a particular problem with the religious jokes/jabs that McFarlane was so fond of poking fun at the "Church", though Fox never seemed to care with any other of their shows.

Fox bounced it around the schedule, thereby making it hard to find for viewers, then Fox, claiming low ratings, and the last episode of season 3 "When You Wish Upon A Weinstien" was the last straw. The show was canned and that episode never aired due to Fox's problem with the religious conntent. The censors wouldn't allow it, and thought it would offend viewers.

Both the fans of the show and Seth feel vindicated that big mean ole FOX has had a change of heart (now that they see $$$ in the show for once) and are returning it to the air.

Didn't FOX set the standard for over-the-top vulgarity when the ran "Married With Children" (also one of my favorites)?
The "Weinstein" episode was nothing Mel Brooks hadn't been doing for 40 years.  If McFarlane was Jewish, maybe they'd give him more leeway.  But look at what "South Park" gets away with.
McFarlane made Weinstein an impressive character who got the job done.  It seems like the cardinal rule is you can use ethnic stereotypes as long as the character you're stereotyping is cool.

The show I'm surprised lasted as long as it did is "Futurama."  Some of the jokes were good, but I still can't figure out what the hell that show was trying to do!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/18/04 at 10:50 pm

Didn't FOX set the standard for over-the-top vulgarity when the ran "Married With Children" (also one of my favorites)?

GREAT show!

Written By: brentles on 12/22/04 at 6:47 pm

family guy is so much better than the simpsons, to even mention them in the same sentence could be considered blasphemy, when the simpsons start getting funny again i'll take it back, it just seems that the simpsons has one or two funny moments per episode, whereas family guy has u laughing through the whole show and for a couple of minutes afterwards, sometimes u don't even get a joke fully and its still funny, like the other, "next theyre gonna take the way i wear my hat, wait a second, they can't take that away from me" i laughed when i heard that, never having heard the sinatra song, which i now have heard, which just makes you wonder how many of their jokes go straight over your head, no wonder the uncultured swines at fox didnt think this show was good, cause theyre stoopid. by the way i voted for quagmire, even though i do love boomhauer, not that way though.
brentles

Written By: RockandRollFan on 12/22/04 at 7:18 pm

family guy is so much better than the simpsons, to even mention them in the same sentence could be considered blasphemy, when the simpsons start getting funny again i'll take it back, it just seems that the simpsons has one or two funny moments per episode, whereas family guy has u laughing through the whole show and for a couple of minutes afterwards, sometimes u don't even get a joke fully and its still funny, like the other, "next theyre gonna take the way i wear my hat, wait a second, they can't take that away from me" i laughed when i heard that, never having heard the sinatra song, which i now have heard, which just makes you wonder how many of their jokes go straight over your head, no wonder the uncultured swines at fox didnt think this show was good, cause theyre stoopid. by the way i voted for quagmire, even though i do love boomhauer, not that way though.
brentles
In it's heyday the Simpsons was a much better show than it is now. I agree that Family Guy keeps constant :)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/23/04 at 9:28 am

Both!!!  ;D

Written By: joedeertae on 12/23/04 at 9:52 am

Boomhauer.

Check for new replies or respond here...