inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: In the light of all this Spongebob talk

Written By: mr.smith s on 05/18/04 at 6:55 pm

I'm 22 years old and I love this show.  I think that its clever, and kids and adults can watch it. And it is not offensive.  There are certain portions of the show which I find boring like the 'Adventures of Mermaidman and Barnacle Boy'. But it still remains to be awesome.

It also is an extremely fun show to watch when one is involved in most types of inebriation

Subject: Re: In the light of all this Spongebob talk

Written By: Kitten on 05/18/04 at 7:01 pm

OMG I totally love that show, I had a boyfriend that couldn't get enough of it, so I bout him 3 DVDs for his birthday. I think I have watched them more then he has. But yeah. . .Mermaidman and barnacle boy is a little boring.

Written By: gumbypiz on 05/18/04 at 7:03 pm

I'm 22 years old and I love this show.  I think that its clever, and kids and adults can watch it. And it is not offensive.  There are certain portions of the show which I find boring like the 'Adventures of Mermaidman and Barnacle Boy'. But it still remains to be awesome.
It also is an extremely fun show to watch when one is involved in most types of inebriation

Well not sure on the types of inebriation you mention, but all in all Spongbob is pretty cool with me.
I think a lot of people just pass the show off as just overcomercialized kiddie junk, but really the writting and dialog is pretty witty (for a kids show). Many times I've notice some things that were definityly over the heads of most kids, and I like that the creators are making an effort to have a show that has something both parents, teens, and kids can watch and laugh at.

Seriously, those who claim not to like it, just watch an entire episode, before you pass judgment, you'll see theres more going on than just another nickoloden kids show.

I agree with others that the Spongebob invasion at the stores is a put off, with the clothes, dolls, toys, car seat covers(?) but we shouldn't be surprised that Nick wants to make a profit off its show.

Written By: Bobby on 05/19/04 at 7:04 am

I like both Ed, Edd and Eddy and Spongebob. Great cartoons.  :D

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/19/04 at 7:56 am

The voice of Mr. Krabs is done by veteran villain-actor Clancy Brown.  8)

Clancy played the sadistic head guard in The Shawshank Redemption, and he played the bullying blonde inmate in Bad Boys (the one with Sean Penn, not the one with Martin Lawrence).

Written By: Cheetara on 05/19/04 at 1:03 pm

I love Sandy Squirrel...from Texas...she cracks me up!    ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/19/04 at 1:05 pm

Clancy played the sadistic head guard in The Shawshank Redemption, and he played the bullying blonde inmate in Bad Boys (the one with Sean Penn, not the one with Martin Lawrence).

He was also the drill sergeant in Starship Troopers  8)

"MEDIC!!!"

;D

Written By: zcrito on 05/19/04 at 3:08 pm

I've come across "The Sponge" a few times and have seen some pretty funny episodes.

I especially like the one where SB thinks everyone is a robot, particularly Mr.Krabs. I think it's called "Krab Borg". It was very funny.   ;D

Anyone else have any favorites?

:)

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/19/04 at 3:31 pm

I usually just see this show when my little sister watches it.  Some of it's just silly but I do like in when they sing those ridiculous little songs.    ;)
My only complaint about the mixing of adult/kid humor in this show is that sometimes the adult humor a little too...well, adult.  I personally think it has a little too much sexual conotations for kids, but then again, I guess kids are learning about sex at younger and younger ages these days.

Written By: mr.smith s on 05/19/04 at 3:34 pm

I forgot what its called but the one where Bikini Bottom is in the Pre-historic Era, and Spongebob, PAtrick and Squidward all fight for some fire.
LOL so funny!!

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/19/04 at 3:38 pm

On the same note:

"Patrick" is voiced by the guy that played Dauber Dabinsky from the show "Coach" a few years back. :)

I saw the guy that does Spongebob's voice, Stephen Hillenburg is his name (I think, also the creater of the show) on Conan O'Brian one night, and he didn't look like I thought he would.  He also does voices on other Nickelodeon cartoons, past and present.  One I remember him mentioning was that show a few years back "Angry Beavers".  (funny btw)

Written By: Kitten on 05/25/04 at 3:28 pm

The guy that statred sponge Bob and dose his voice and everything is one of the actors from Mr. show. Which is a hilarious skit comedy show, but you can see how the humour transfers if you watch the two different shows.  ;D

Written By: Fred on 05/25/04 at 9:07 pm

Spongebob RULES!!! I don't remember who Barnicle Boy is though, (haven't watched the show in about a year).

Written By: JT74 on 05/25/04 at 11:43 pm

I've attempted to watch this show SO many times, but each time I find it to be extremely "kiddie" and boring.  I'm used to modern toons such as The Simpsons and Family Guy, and Spongebob doesn't cut it. 

Speaking of inebriation, I've tried watching Spongebob in numerous states, and each time it was still lame IMO.  The jokes aren't nearly as witty as those in the toons I mentioned, or even Ren and Stimpy.  It seems to be geared more towards children than what I'm used to.  I find classic Tom & Jerry to be more witty than Spongebob.

This is just my opinion, mind you.  To each his own, but I can't stand the sponge. 

Written By: zcrito on 05/25/04 at 11:59 pm

That's neat. You select this post on Spongebob and the ads at the top of this Web page change to Spongebob stuff.

??? ;D

Written By: Kitten on 05/26/04 at 10:41 am

That's neat. You select this post on Spongebob and the ads at the top of this Web page change to Spongebob stuff.

??? ;D

I don't get it, what ads?

Written By: zcrito on 05/26/04 at 11:59 am

I don't get it, what ads?

Upper right of the page. "Ads by Google".
Unless they're zeroing in ads on me alone!!  :o :o :o :o

Written By: JT74 on 05/27/04 at 12:15 am

I don't see any ads either.  Maybe my pop-up blocker is stopping them?

Written By: zcrito on 05/27/04 at 11:10 am

Okay, on the top three rows of this Web page I have:

------------------------------------------------
In The 00s         (Ads by Google box)  <=== telling me about Spongebob screensavers and other things I can buy :D

(user info)              (news box)

search:                   (key stats)

Great. I'm the only one getting those ads. :-\\

Written By: gemini61 on 05/27/04 at 11:22 am

Okay, on the top three rows of this Web page I have:

In The 00s         (Ads by Google box)  <=== telling me about Spongebob screensavers and other things I can buy :D

(user info)              (news box)

search:                   (key stats)

Great. I'm the only one getting those ads. :-\\

I see the ads. Right now they are for Trivial Pursuit and other toys and games.

Written By: Cyndi on 01/12/05 at 1:42 pm

In reply to I don't know why anyone would want a gun. Guns don't kill people,  People kill People.  It is our Constitutional Right to Bear Arms. Its ignorance that kills!  I was raised around fire arms and educated from a very early age about the benefits and dangers of guns.  I was target practicing since 5 and have two sons 20 and 15 who are very accurate with guns. They were taught from about the same age as I to respect guns and that you never point a gun unless you plan to use it .  BaseBall Bats have been used countless times to kill people should they too be considered a weapon?? Dangerous.  How about Large Dogs!  PitBulls!! I too have 3 and they are less likely to attack then a Mutt its all how a person uses their smarts with what ever they have control of. Cars are another weapon many people have killed in the heat of passion, got drunk and killed someone, fell asleep, or just plain have no place driving, Guns don't kill, people do. And so long as you have undisciplined people you will have sensless death no matter what the weapon is.  Proud Bearer of Arms  NRA Member!!!!

Written By: ski_luvr on 01/12/05 at 1:46 pm

In reply to I don't know why anyone would want a gun. Guns don't kill people,  People kill People.  It is our Constitutional Right to Bear Arms. Its ignorance that kills!  I was raised around fire arms and educated from a very early age about the benefits and dangers of guns.  I was target practicing since 5 and have two sons 20 and 15 who are very accurate with guns. They were taught from about the same age as I to respect guns and that you never point a gun unless you plan to use it .  BaseBall Bats have been used countless times to kill people should they too be considered a weapon?? Dangerous.  How about Large Dogs!  PitBulls!! I too have 3 and they are less likely to attack then a Mutt its all how a person uses their smarts with what ever they have control of. Cars are another weapon many people have killed in the heat of passion, got drunk and killed someone, fell asleep, or just plain have no place driving, Guns don't kill, people do. And so long as you have undisciplined people you will have sensless death no matter what the weapon is.  Proud Bearer of Arms  NRA Member!!!!

Written By: ski_luvr on 01/12/05 at 1:50 pm

I forgot to log in so my message shows twice I kept wondering howcome I had to enter my name and email! OOPS

Written By: bj26 on 01/12/05 at 2:05 pm

Thanks LB for the SpongeBob trivia, Clancy was a real jerk in Shawshank, and likewise for Mr. Krabs ;D  Also, does anyone know who does the voice for Plankton, could it be Robert Goulet???

Written By: AngeFaitore on 01/12/05 at 3:27 pm

I never liked Spongebob, even in 2002 or 2003 when it was in its prime.
I saw Spongebob as dumb-down comedy after I watched a few episodes.

Written By: Howard on 01/12/05 at 4:37 pm

And why the hell was this movie rated PG 13 instead of G? ???

Howard

Written By: woops on 01/12/05 at 6:47 pm

Wooldoor Sockbat had his moments on "Drawn Together"  :D  :)

Though I straongly dislike the cartoon sea sponge...  :P

Written By: Guest on 01/15/05 at 12:40 pm

I don't think Spongebob is all that bad.  Some of the jokes they have to offer is pretty darn good.  do really think Baracle and Mermaidman is really boring, but it's still cool.  The most favorite of all these jokes for me is the "find a hay in a needlestack."  ;D ;D ;D  So funny! 

Check for new replies or respond here...