inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: American Idol - Background Singers

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/19/04 at 7:53 am

Has anyone else noticed that when Idol got to the "final 3" this time around, the songs have been more "muddled" by background singers and the band?

Last night several of the performances were largely in a fog, because there was so much background singing and instruments.  How are we supposed to judge THE SINGER with all this other sonic pollution?

Subject: Re: American Idol - Background Singers

Written By: Powerslave on 05/19/04 at 8:42 am

A singer worthy of winning a competition like this should be able to make their presence felt on the stage no matter what's going on around them. If they can't, then they shouldn't win.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/19/04 at 11:19 am

A singer worthy of winning a competition like this should be able to make their presence felt on the stage no matter what's going on around them. If they can't, then they shouldn't win.

I agree, but in some cases the background voices were so loud that they could "cover up" an off-key vocal by the contestant.

And some of the songs were just so heavily laden with backing vocals, there was more backing than lead vocals

So... in some cases the backing vocals provided "cover" for bad singing.

In "my" version of Idol, there would be NO backing vocals, and the instruments would be limited to 4 musicians.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 05/19/04 at 11:22 am

In "my" version of Idol, there would be NO backing vocals, and the instruments would be limited to 4 musicians.

And Aretha Franklin wouldn't make it past her first audition.

Check for new replies or respond here...