inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: From Best Ending, To Worst, To None At All!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/19/04 at 8:29 am

Some television series were allowed to have a "Finale" episode...some were great, some sucked...and what of the ones that just stopped without getting a chance to say "Goodbye" to viewers.  I woyuld put the end of M*A*S*H up there among if not AT the top. Others were Magnum P.I.-Cheers and Mary Tyler-Moore. I can only remember the last of Seinfeld being one that really pissed me off, what a letdown! Anyone else? 

Subject: Re: From Best Ending, To Worst, To None At All!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/19/04 at 8:44 am

My take on final episodes is this:
You're not real people.  You are writers, producers, directors, and actors who present a situational vignette every week.  No need to get emotional, no need to day goodbye.

Unfortunately, the television characters are more real to some than people in their own lives.  Hey, they've got whole message boards for adults dedicated to discussing Buffy the Vampire Slayer!

The last episode of Seinfeld was rotten, except that the four of them went to jail, which is what they deserved!

Written By: Koop on 05/19/04 at 8:54 am

My favorite TV ending was from the show Newhart.  Very unexpected and very funny.  ;D

Written By: MooRocca on 05/19/04 at 9:23 am

Newhart's ending was a mixed bag -- I hated the flash to the future, but I have to confess, even though it was cheesy, I loved the flash to the past at the very end. 

Alf couldn't seem to decide whether to have an ending or not, so we got part one of the two part finale, but never got part 2. 

St. Elsewhere gets a lot of flack for going with the "it was all a dream" ending,  but they picked the right character to "dream" it and I liked that they found a way to ensure there would be no reunion episode, without killing off all the characters in a hospital explosion or something. 

Speaking of which, The Young Ones had a rather abrupt ending.  I've often wondered if that same ending would have worked for the Partridge Family and their bus (just kidding!)

I vaguely remember watching a finale where the father/husband had a heart attack and died, at the end... but I can't remember which series it was.  I just remember thinking, "Wow, that's not what I expected" and that it was a good way and place to end the story of those characters because it was more realistic than 12 different people having 12 different wonderful, major life changing events come up in the same week.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/19/04 at 9:28 am

My favorite TV ending was from the show Newhart.  Very unexpected and very funny.  ;D
I'd forgotten about "Bob"....you're right, that was great, Koop!

Written By: philbo on 05/19/04 at 9:35 am

Best ending: Blackadder Goes Forth - hard to make a comedy about one of the most tragic and bloody WWI battles, the way the series ends is an incredibly poignant finale to an extremely funny series.

Written By: Bobby on 05/19/04 at 7:04 pm

Best ending: Blackadder Goes Forth - hard to make a comedy about one of the most tragic and bloody WWI battles, the way the series ends is an incredibly poignant finale to an extremely funny series.

Ah yes. Very dramatic and an unexpected shift in style.

Written By: Howard on 05/19/04 at 7:34 pm

I forgot how Family Ties had it's finale?  ???

Howard

Written By: Marian on 05/19/04 at 8:11 pm

Newhart's ending was a mixed bag -- I hated the flash to the future, but I have to confess, even though it was cheesy, I loved the flash to the past at the very end.   

Alf couldn't seem to decide whether to have an ending or not, so we got part one of the two part finale, but never got part 2. 

St. Elsewhere gets a lot of flack for going with the "it was all a dream" ending,  but they picked the right character to "dream" it and I liked that they found a way to ensure there would be no reunion episode, without killing off all the characters in a hospital explosion or something. 

Speaking of which, The Young Ones had a rather abrupt ending.  I've often wondered if that same ending would have worked for the Partridge Family and their bus (just kidding!)

I vaguely remember watching a finale where the father/husband had a heart attack and died, at the end... but I can't remember which series it was.  I just remember thinking, "Wow, that's not what I expected" and that it was a good way and place to end the story of those characters because it was more realistic than 12 different people having 12 different wonderful, major life changing events come up in the same week.

;DMaybe you mean Roseanne.It turns ou tRroseanne is a writer writing a book about her family,and said dan died of a heart attack.Or it could be the Wonder years--the dad died and wayne took over the family business.cheers! 8)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/19/04 at 11:44 pm

Anybody remember how "Hill Street blues" ended?

Written By: hoogbest on 05/29/04 at 5:48 pm

Frasier was outstanding.....the ending was as clever as I have ever seen....and very satisfying!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 05/30/04 at 10:38 am

Anyone remember how Silver Spoons had ended? ???

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...