inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Phrases That Have Endured Time!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/19/04 at 9:06 am

From being "Groovy" in the 60's, "Bodacious" in the 70's, "Narly" in the 80's, "Awesome" in the 90's to present day "Word"....there IS one thast has stood the test of time and is still used today...even by kids...."Cool"  8)  though they have altered the spelling so they can be remembered..."Kewl"  ::) Any others from any decades you can think of and ones that have also endured in todays time?

Subject: Re: Phrases That Have Endured Time!

Written By: MooRocca on 05/19/04 at 9:52 am

The entire Duh family is still alive and well:  "Duh" "well, DUH!"  "no duh"  "like... Du-uh!" etc.  I've also heard my kids say "no dip" a few times, lately, I hadn't heard that one since I was a kid.  Tattle-tails seem to be "narcs" again.  Oh and don't forget that on the flipside of "cool," "hot" is still scorching up the slang charts. 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/19/04 at 11:51 pm

The entire Duh family is still alive and well:  "Duh" "well, DUH!"  "no duh"  "like... Du-uh!" etc.  I've also heard my kids say "no dip" a few times, lately, I hadn't heard that one since I was a kid.  Tattle-tails seem to be "narcs" again.  Oh and don't forget that on the flipside of "cool," "hot" is still scorching up the slang charts. 

You're right MooRocca, thanks for reminding me of that one ;)

Written By: NbC on 05/20/04 at 12:08 am

Almost all of the Bad Words have been around forever.  Unfortunately. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/20/04 at 1:11 am

"Wicked" gained currency as an intensive in the late '70s, maybe earlier in California.
"Decent" at the same time meant "excellent."  Something quite excellent was said to be "wicked decent," often shortened to "wicked deece."  "Wicked" persisted, "decent" did not.
"Awesome" gained permenance.  "Tubular" never did, thank god.

When did "dufus" arrive on the scene.  I can remember hearing it in my childhood in the late '70s.  What it derives from I can only guess.  Could be a corruption of "dumb face," maybe?

People used the word "turkey" as an insult back in the '70s far more frequently than they do now.
"Hey fella, stop! What a turkey.  Hey fella, you're a turkey!" -- from "Mad Max"
But they also used it as a jocular form of address, like you'd see some friends and yell, "Hey you turkeys, what's goin' on?"

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/20/04 at 9:59 am

Gee, I can't believe noone's mentioned "dude".  My parents and I were talking about this and they remember it being used as far back as the 60's. 8)
Dude, I forgot that one! ;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/20/04 at 10:21 am

Don't forget dork which has been in use since at least the 50's.  ;)

LB

Written By: StarskyHutch76 on 05/21/04 at 1:40 pm

Since dork was mentioned, how about nerd or geek.

Written By: hoogbest on 05/30/04 at 12:12 am

"Can I buy you a drink?" 8)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/12/05 at 5:51 pm

awesome

Written By: Trimac20 on 05/12/05 at 11:17 pm

"Dork" is a word that seems to have been very common in the 80s and early 90s (when I was growing up) but after about 95' I have hardly heard anyone use it at all. 'Geek' too is somewhat less common, 'Nerd' however is as common as ever.

Written By: Kenlos on 05/13/05 at 12:29 am

Most of you are posting words and isn't this supposed to be phrases, so wouldn't a phrase like "Don't let the bed bugs bite" or "See ya later alligator" fit better.

Written By: karen on 05/13/05 at 5:17 am

Most of you are posting words and isn't this supposed to be phrases, so wouldn't a phrase like "Don't let the bed bugs bite" or "See ya later alligator" fit better.

My 3 year old has just started to say "See you later, alligator"

Check for new replies or respond here...