inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sports Names That Make NO Sense!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/20/04 at 2:46 pm

Many teams in many sports have odd names that just don't fit right. Here arer a few and where they were originally:

I like the Calgary Flames but they were originally called the Atlanta Flames..

The Dallas Stars used to be the Minnesota North Stars

and there are TWO exapmles from Utah....1. In the old American Basketball Association the Los Angeles Stars moved and became the Utah Stars and 2. The New Orleans Jazz moved and became what is now the Utah Jazz....JAZZ...in UTAH ::)

Subject: Re: Sports Names That Make NO Sense!

Written By: Marian on 05/20/04 at 2:49 pm

;DWell i thought Sharks was a strange name for san jose since we;re not at the beach,but i guess it's doubtful that santa cruz is going to have a team.Cheers!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/20/04 at 3:21 pm

The Utah Jazz
Gotta love that Mormon be-bop!

There's also gender silliness when it comes to women's teams.  For instance, every school that has a team called The Rams (ie Fordham University and U-Rhode Island for basketball) has a women's team called "The Lady Rams."  You don't have to be an ovinologist to know there ain't no such a thing.  I guess "The Sheep" wouldn't instill much awe in the opposing team, neither would
"The Ewes" for that matter.
My alma mater, UMass, has the Minutemen and the Minutewomen.  A little awkward, but better than "The Lady Minutemen."
St. Peter's College also follows the proper gender assignment, "The Peacocks" and "The Peahens," but are the Rutgers "Scarlet Knights" women's teams called "The Scarlet Ladies"?
A nearby town here in Mass, Agawam, calls their football team, "The Brownies."  What for? I don't know.  It's another name to impress the other team, especially if their playing The Springfield Snickerdoodles (joke).

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/20/04 at 4:59 pm

???The Memphis GRIZZLIES! I don't think they have grizzly bears in Tennessee! ???

Written By: resinchaser on 05/20/04 at 5:01 pm

The Toronto Maple Leafs. They pluralize as well as they play hockey.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/20/04 at 5:03 pm

The NEW YORK GIANTS and NEW YORK JETS,because their home stadium is right here in New Jersey! Are the management of those teams embarrassed about playing here in the Garden State!?!

Written By: Cheetara on 05/20/04 at 5:14 pm

The Utah Jazz

There's also gender silliness when it comes to women's teams.  For instance, every school that has a team called The Rams (ie Fordham University and U-Rhode Island for basketball) has a women's team called "The Lady Rams."  You don't have to be an ovinologist to know there ain't no such a thing.  I guess "The Sheep" wouldn't instill much awe in the opposing team, neither would
"The Ewes" for that matter.
My alma mater, UMass, has the Minutemen and the Minutewomen.  A little awkward, but better than "The Lady Minutemen."
St. Peter's College also follows the proper gender assignment, "The Peacocks" and "The Peahens," but are the Rutgers "Scarlet Knights" women's teams called "The Scarlet Ladies"?
A nearby town here in Mass, Agawam, calls their football team, "The Brownies."  What for? I don't know.  It's another name to impress the other team, especially if their playing The Springfield Snickerdoodles (joke).

LOL... I spat out my coffee when I read that Maxwell.  Good one!  LOL ;D

@Tony20fan4ever:    I live in New Jersey too (northern) and I always wondered the same darn thing!  I live practically...8 minutes away from Giants Stadium!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/20/04 at 5:38 pm

There's also gender silliness when it comes to women's teams.  For instance, every school that has a team called The Rams (ie Fordham University and U-Rhode Island for basketball) has a women's team called "The Lady Rams." 
We have the Rams of Colorado State but luckily the womens teams are just the Rams also 8)

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/20/04 at 6:32 pm

The Utah Jazz

Actually the Jazz started out in New Orelans, which is known for their jazz music.  They just never changed their name when they moved to Utah in 1981.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/20/04 at 8:09 pm

Actually the Jazz started out in New Orelans, which is known for their jazz music.  They just never changed their name when they moved to Utah in 1981.
As I stated in the first post, 80sRocked ;) I think the current New Orleans team (Hornets) should "Trade" names with the Jazz since Utah is the BeeHive State....it makes more sense than the Jazz :)

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/20/04 at 8:15 pm

Penn High School in Mishawaka, Indiana has the nickname Kingsmen. So the girl's teams nickname is "Lady Kingsmen". ::)

(But do you think Queenswomen would work better? ::))

Written By: Howard on 05/20/04 at 8:20 pm

The WWE. >:(

Howard

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/20/04 at 11:18 pm

The WWE. >:(

Howard
I ask forgivness to all those who think that WWE and the like are "Real"...they're NOT a Sport ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/21/04 at 12:14 am

Oh, The New Orleans Jazz, that makes sense.  N.O. is the birthplace of jazz!  Utah Jazz still sounds dumb to me.  What if The Miami Heat moved to Minneapolis?  Would they be the Twin Cities Heat?  The Minnesota Heat?
;D

Written By: karen on 05/21/04 at 3:30 am

The weirdest club name I know of is one that I doubt anyone else here has heard of.  It's an orienteering club in the UK called Octavian Droobers.  I did once hear the explanantion of the name but even then it made no sense  ::)

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/21/04 at 7:32 am

Scottish Soccer : "Queen Of The South"

Australian Rugby League : "South Sydney Rabbitohs"

YES !  ::)  Rabbitohs  ::)

Makes them sound like some sort of Bunny Brekky cereal  ;D

Written By: Bart on 05/21/04 at 9:28 am

The "Los Angeles Lakers" is a pretty retarded name.  L.A. is certainly not famous for having lakes, unlike say Minnesota.  But the L.A. Lakers are such a famous team, that the stupidity of their name is usually forgiven.

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/21/04 at 9:35 am

Here are some other Indiana high school names that deserve mention:

Shoals Jug Rox
Lafayette Jefferson Bronchos (Can anyone explain the extra H?)
River Forest Ingots (Construction workers might fear some walking ingots.)
Rockville Rox
Northeast DuBois Jeeps (Named after Eugene The Jeep of Popeye fame.)

And here's one from the Japanese baseball league: Nippon Ham Fighters. ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/21/04 at 10:00 am

Scottish Soccer : "Queen Of The South"

Australian Rugby League : "South Sydney Rabbitohs"

YES !  ::)  Rabbitohs  ::)

Makes them sound like some sort of Bunny Brekky cereal  ;D
Hi Luke!  Hey, they could make thier claim to fame and use the "Killer-Rabbit" name from Monty Python :D
http://hethrael.com/images/bunny.jpg

Written By: karen on 05/21/04 at 10:41 am

Lafayette Jefferson Bronchos (Can anyone explain the extra H?)

Depending on how old the team name is this was an alternative spelling originally for Bronco.  There used to be some Western novels where the main character had the by-line "the broncho-busting cowboy".  (from Made in America by Bill Bryson)

Written By: bj26 on 05/21/04 at 11:17 am

How bout the Arizona Cardinals?

Our baseball team is the Lexington Legends, nobody knows what legend Lexington is famous for. Abe Lincoln's wife was from here but she went crazy, maybe that's the legend?  There was a contest to name the team, and many voted for The Horseflies, since there a a lot of horses raised in this area, and lots of flies around horses or fly balls in baseball. That name would have made perfect sense :D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/21/04 at 11:33 am

How bout the Arizona Cardinals?

I agree, I liked them better when they were the St. Louis Cardinals....of course that made St. louis have TWO teams with the same name yet different sports. I don't know of any other city that has ever had that :o

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/21/04 at 5:25 pm

the Minnesota WILD! Their previous name-NORTH STARS-was better!

Written By: Howard on 05/21/04 at 6:57 pm

I ask forgivness to all those who think that WWE and the like are "Real"...they're NOT a Sport ::)

Thank You.It's just entertainment! ::)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 05/21/04 at 6:57 pm

The Houston Astros.

Howard

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/21/04 at 7:33 pm

The Houston Astros.

Howard
The ASTROS were named because the HOUSTON area has a MAJOR NASA facility there,the Johnson Space Center(Mission Control was housed there for the Gemini and Apollo missions)so the team's name is quite fitting,as well as their home-the ASTRODOME!

Written By: Howard on 05/21/04 at 7:44 pm

The Minnesota Timberwolves

Howard

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/21/04 at 8:42 pm

I have to admit even though I like the Colts, they should have changed the name when they moved to Indianapolis from Baltimore. Up until the time that they finished building Hoosier Park in Anderson and Indiana Downs in Shelbyville, the only Colts that were in Indianapolis were cans of Colt .45 Malt Liquor, and even they were available in certain alcohol stores. Batimore has Pimlico and other race tracks. I say give Baltimore back its name and change the Indy Colts to what it's better known for, greedy politicians. ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/21/04 at 9:14 pm

the Minnesota WILD! Their previous name-NORTH STARS-was better!
I'm in total agreement, Tony204everfan

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/21/04 at 9:19 pm

The "Los Angeles Lakers" is a pretty retarded name.  L.A. is certainly not famous for having lakes, unlike say Minnesota.  But the L.A. Lakers are such a famous team, that the stupidity of their name is usually forgiven.

It's my guess that L.A. Lakers derives from L.A.-ers, the suffix indicating "from L.A."  The "K" probably came about so it wouldn't sound like "Layers."  Any sports trivia buffs out there know for sure?

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/21/04 at 9:29 pm

It's my guess that L.A. Lakers derives from L.A.-ers, the suffix indicating "from L.A."  The "K" probably came about so it wouldn't sound like "Layers."  Any sports trivia buffs out there know for sure?

I'm not 100% sure MaxwellSmart, but I've always heard that they just didn't care enough to change it :-\\

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/21/04 at 9:33 pm

it was always my udnerstanding that the name "Lakers" had something to do with their old ABA days back in Minneapolis, MN.  Lots of lakes there.  Good fishing too. ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/21/04 at 9:41 pm

it was always my udnerstanding that the name "Lakers" had something to do with their old ABA days back in Minneapolis, MN.  Lots of lakes there.  Good fishing too. ;)
You mean the Minnesota Muskies....http://www.remembertheaba.com/ABALogos/MiniMuskiesLogo.GIF

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/21/04 at 9:44 pm

If they originated in MN, that would explain "Lakers," for sure!

Syracuse University had the "Orangemen" and the "Orangewomen," but now they're all just
"The Orange."
;D
Or as their simian fans refer to them: 'Cuse
As in "Woohoo, fuggin 'Cuse! Go Go Go!"

Written By: AL-B on 05/21/04 at 9:52 pm

I recall hearing a story concerning the high school in Devils Lake, N.D. Back in the 1920's the people there chose "Satans" as their school nickname. This name lasted all the way up until 2 or 3 years ago, when some Christian-right types moved into town and fought to get it changed. They succeeded, and now they are known as the "Firebirds."

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/21/04 at 9:59 pm

I recall hearing a story concerning the high school in Devils Lake, N.D. Back in the 1920's the people there chose "Satans" as their school nickname. This name lasted all the way up until 2 or 3 years ago, when some Christian-right types moved into town and fought to get it changed. They succeeded, and now they are known as the "Firebirds."

That's weird, "The Satans." Devil can refer to any sort of demon, but Satan IS the Prince of Darkness himself.  Surprising they tried to put that one over, especially in a place like ND in the 1920s.  Even more surprising is that it lasted 80 years!
I saw a group photo of some Canadian women's hockey team from the 1920s.  They had chosen the swastika as their symbol.  There they were, all standing proudly with their swastika sweaters, a very unsettling image.  The swastika didn't gain its current reference until Nazi Germany in the 1930s.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/21/04 at 9:59 pm

Here is the nba's original logo for the "Minneapolis Lakers"....but it sure is nice to know that someone ELSE remembers the old ABA....I plan on having a red-White and Blue basketball in my casket when I die.....
http://origin.nba.com/media/allaccess/retro_MinneapolisLakers_sm.jpg

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/21/04 at 10:03 pm

You mean the Minnesota Muskies....http://www.remembertheaba.com/ABALogos/MiniMuskiesLogo.GIF

There was a Minnesota Huskies ABA team, but there was also a Minneapolis Lakers NBA team.  I mistakingly said the Min. Lakers were in the ABA, they were in the NBA.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/21/04 at 10:05 pm

There was a Minnesota Huskies ABA team, but there was also a Minneapolis Lakers NBA team.  I mistakingly said the Min. Lakers were in the ABA, they were in the NBA.
AND unless it's a typo...it was the Muskies ;)

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/21/04 at 10:08 pm

AND unless it's a typo...it was the Muskies ;)

Baaaaah.  Picky picky.  Muskies, Huskies,  same difference. :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/21/04 at 10:17 pm

Baaaaah.  Picky picky.  Muskies, Huskies,  same difference. :)
:D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/21/04 at 11:17 pm

Jeff Gordon CLAIMS to be from Indiana(Pittsboro)but HE WAS BORN IN CALIFORNIA! Is he actually embarrassed to be from California? Jeff Gordon may have grown up in the Midwest,but in some NASCAR books he says he is from Vallejo,California! Jeff Gordon,stop lying about your birthplace,okay?

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 05/22/04 at 9:55 am

The Lakers were originally the "Minnesota Lakers", then they moved to Los Angeles and became the "L.A. Lakers".  Strange how L.A. can make the dorkiest of names sound cool.  I mean when you think about it, "Lakers" is not really a very cool name for your sports team, even if you are from  Minnesota.

But move them to L.A. and win a bunch of championships, and bam---you got one of the cooler sounding sports teams.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/04 at 10:17 am

The YellowJackets

Howard

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/22/04 at 9:14 pm

That got me thinking: out state has no less than 6 high schools nicknamed the Red Devils.
Pike (Indianapolis)
Jeffersonville
Richmond
Lowell
Michigan City Elston (now the Michigan City Wolves)
West Lafayette (forgot that one)

Since we pride ourselves as being a Bible belt state, I find that rather odd. :-\\

That's weird, "The Satans." Devil can refer to any sort of demon, but Satan IS the Prince of Darkness himself.  Surprising they tried to put that one over, especially in a place like ND in the 1920s.  Even more surprising is that it lasted 80 years!
I saw a group photo of some Canadian women's hockey team from the 1920s.  They had chosen the swastika as their symbol.  There they were, all standing proudly with their swastika sweaters, a very unsettling image.  The swastika didn't gain its current reference until Nazi Germany in the 1930s.

Written By: AL-B on 05/23/04 at 10:56 pm

One sports nickname that drives me NUTS is the Stanford Cardinal. Shouldn't they be the Stanford CARDINALS?!? ???

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/24/04 at 12:25 am

One sports nickname that drives me NUTS is the Stanford Cardinal. Shouldn't they be the Stanford CARDINALS?!? ???

Maybe it's short for "Cardinal Sin."  Heh heh!
;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/27/04 at 8:16 am

Here is the nba's original logo for the "Minneapolis Lakers"....but it sure is nice to know that someone ELSE remembers the old ABA....I plan on having a red-White and Blue basketball in my casket when I die.....
http://origin.nba.com/media/allaccess/retro_MinneapolisLakers_sm.jpg

Don't forget the Pittsburgh Condors too !  :)

http://members.aol.com/bradleyrd/pitt6.gif

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/27/04 at 8:17 am

That got me thinking: out state has no less than 6 high schools nicknamed the Red Devils.
Pike (Indianapolis)
Jeffersonville
Richmond
Lowell
Michigan City Elston (now the Michigan City Wolves)

Since we pride ourselves as being a Bible belt state, I find that rather odd. :-\\

My high school was the Center Township Trojans.

You wouldn't believe the abuse we took for that.

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/27/04 at 9:03 am

This is one of many instances where the college's nickname is a color. The Cardinal is referring to Cardinal Red, although I don't know why the mascot is a walking Christmas tree. :-\\
Other colleges with colors as nicknames are the Harvard Crimson, Cornell Big Red, and most recently, the Syracuse Orange (formerly the Orangeman.)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/27/04 at 11:46 am

This is one of many instances where the college's nickname is a color. The Cardinal is referring to Cardinal Red, although I don't know why the mascot is a walking Christmas tree. :-\\
Other colleges with colors as nicknames are the Harvard Crimson, Cornell Big Red, and most recently, the Syracuse Orange (formerly the Orangeman.)

A walking Christmas tree?  I'm callin' the ACLU, can't have that!
Yeah, I mentioned the Syracuse Orange, but just call 'em 'Cuse!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/27/04 at 1:17 pm

Don't forget the Pittsburgh Condors too !  :)

http://members.aol.com/bradleyrd/pitt6.gif
THIS logo was much better....IMO!
http://www.remembertheaba.com/ABALogos/MiniCondorsLogo2.GIF

Also, they were supposed to have been originally based somewhere in California....making them the California Condors, which would've made much more sense ;)

Before that they were the Pittsburgh Pipers...Connie Hawkins led them to the first ABA Championship in 1967 :)

http://www.remembertheaba.com/ABALogos/MiniPipersLogo6.GIF

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/27/04 at 1:28 pm

THIS logo was much better....IMO!
http://www.remembertheaba.com/ABALogos/MiniCondorsLogo2.GIFhttp://www.remembertheaba.com/ABALogos/MiniPipersLogo6.GIF

Also, they were supposed to have been originally based somewhere in California....making them the California Condors, which would've made much more sense ;)

Before that they were the Pittsburgh Pipers...Connie Hawkins led them to the first ABA Championship in 1967 :)

Don't forget the original Pipers logo...

http://members.aol.com/bradleyrd/pitt1.gif

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/27/04 at 1:47 pm

Relax, it's only an alpine. ;)

A walking Christmas tree?  I'm callin' the ACLU, can't have that!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/27/04 at 2:00 pm

Don't forget the original Pipers logo...

http://members.aol.com/bradleyrd/pitt1.gif
Hey LyricBoy, how did you get those logos to stay on here? I noticed they're from aol :P and they usually don't share stuff with other web sites!  If you are at all interested in the American Basketball Association I suggest a really great site....here's the link:

www.remembertheaba.com

Written By: AL-B on 05/27/04 at 5:49 pm

I did not know that. Thanks for clearing that up! :)

Written By: AL-B on 05/27/04 at 5:58 pm

And now, ladies and gentlemen, for the GOOFIEST SPORTS LOGO EVER:
http://www.methodistsports.com/images/Article/img1-477.jpg

THE INDIANA FIREBIRDS!!!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/27/04 at 7:57 pm

The Newark BEARS of the Atlantic League of Professional Baseball! A more apt name might be the 'Carjacking capital of NJ LOSERS!'

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/28/04 at 9:29 am

Hey, now, that's one ugly looking bird. I wished they changed it from the Albany Firebirds.
Maybe a phoenix on fire, anything better than that red and blue buzzard.

And now, ladies and gentlemen, for the GOOFIEST SPORTS LOGO EVER:

THE INDIANA FIREBIRDS!!!

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/28/04 at 12:17 pm

How about the logo for the South Bend Silverhawks minor-league baseball team?

http://www.silverhawks.com/logo/layout_r2_c2.gif

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/28/04 at 12:21 pm

BEFORE they were the San Antonio Spurs they were the Texas/Dallas Chaparrals....I like the Red, White and Blue basketball so much more than that boring nba brown :P

http://www.remembertheaba.com/ABALogos/ChapsLogo1.GIF

http://www.remembertheaba.com/ABALogos/ChapsLogo.GIF

Written By: EmiLoca on 05/28/04 at 2:09 pm

The Omaha Golden Spikes.  ???

Written By: AL-B on 05/28/04 at 6:29 pm

Actually, you wanna know a really DOPEY sports name?
http://www.ktgl.com/timages/page/saltlogo.gif
(Northern League baseball team)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/29/04 at 2:49 am

What is a "saltdog"?  I've heard of a "salty dog," can't remember what that is either.  I think it's a sailor, or something.

Written By: EmiLoca on 05/29/04 at 7:59 am

You wouldn't happen to live in Nebraska, would you?  ;)  I remember way back at my brother's birthday party, it was Golden Spikes vs. Saltdogs, and while the little boys were arguing over who would win, my friend and I were arguing over which was the doofier name.  The Spikes won, both ways.

Written By: AL-B on 05/29/04 at 9:48 am

What is a "saltdog"?  I've heard of a "salty dog," can't remember what that is either.  I think it's a sailor, or something.
The story goes, here in Lincoln there used to be a big salt mine and supposedly the salt miners were nicknamed "Salt Dogs." Personally I think that whole story is a big load of horsesh*t, because I had never heard that term before (the team has only been around about 2 or 3 years) and if it was true, then certainly it would have been used already by a local high school, or there'd at least be a street or bar or restaurant or something with that name. Despite the goofy name, I like going to Saltdogs games because they just built a brand new ballpark here in town about 3 or 4 years ago and it's really nice.

Written By: AL-B on 05/29/04 at 9:50 am

You wouldn't happen to live in Nebraska, would you?   ;)  I remember way back at my brother's birthday party, it was Golden Spikes vs. Saltdogs, and while the little boys were arguing over who would win, my friend and I were arguing over which was the doofier name.  The Spikes won, both ways.
Yes, Lincoln. BTW, I'm glad they went back to "Royals" as their name. I thought "Golden Spikes" was a dumb name too.

Written By: AL-B on 05/29/04 at 10:50 am

How about the Vincennes-Lincoln IN "Alices".  How would you like to be a guy with "Alice" as your team mascot?  Or Belfrey, MT?  They are the "Bats" ;D
Actually I think "Bats" is kind of cool.

Written By: AL-B on 05/29/04 at 6:48 pm

The story goes, here in Lincoln there used to be a big salt mine and supposedly the salt miners were nicknamed "Salt Dogs." Personally I think that whole story is a big load of horsesh*t, because I had never heard that term before (the team has only been around about 2 or 3 years) and if it was true, then certainly it would have been used already by a local high school, or there'd at least be a street or bar or restaurant or something with that name. Despite the goofy name, I like going to Saltdogs games because they just built a brand new ballpark here in town about 3 or 4 years ago and it's really nice.
Actually I was incorrect. This is from the Saltdogs' official site:

Why the Saltdogs? The reference to "dogs" is not limited to one meaning, but rather incorporates several. It pays homage to the early settlers' relentless (and dogged) pursuit of a place to call "home." It honors the native coyote and the wild canine that roamed and thrived along the Salt Creek basin. And, it refers to the "dog days" of summer when the game of baseball is played out on warm nights and sun-drenched afternoons.

(Still kinda stupid, I think...)

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/29/04 at 7:49 pm

Allegedly, the Alice nickname came from the Maurice Thompson book:"Alice of Old Vincennes", about a woman who made the American flag for George Rogers Clark after his troops took over Vincennes from the British. But many stories have come and gone, from "Alice In Wonderland" to "Go Ask Alice", to Alice Cooper. :-\\
http://www.messenger-inquirer.com/features/go/6966880.htm

How about the Vincennes-Lincoln IN "Alices".  How would you like to be a guy with "Alice" as your team mascot?  Or Belfrey, MT?  They are the "Bats" ;D

Written By: AL-B on 05/30/04 at 12:52 am

A-loop, da-doop! A-loop, da-doop! ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Waterboy on 04/03/05 at 7:06 pm

the Pittsburgh Panthers the are no Panthers in Pennsylvania the last i checked...

Chris

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/03/05 at 7:17 pm

The NBA's UTAH JAZZ...first off,the team should have changed names when they moved outta New Orleans...which is the birthplace of jazz...

secondly,a more fitting Utah name would be either the Utahns(what people from Utah supposedly call themselves)or Brighams(as in Brigham Young,one of the founders of the Mormon sect...)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/03/05 at 11:38 pm

Anaheim Mighty Ducks

http://www.bushparty.com/img/hockeylogos/anaheim_mighty_ducks_1995.gif

In the immortal words of Sir Bugs of Bunny:

"What kind of a Mickey Mouse outfit would name their team The Ducks? "  ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/03/05 at 11:39 pm

???The Memphis GRIZZLIES! I don't think they have grizzly bears in Tennessee! ???

Originally they were the Vancouver Grizzlies.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/03/05 at 11:42 pm

the Pittsburgh Panthers the are no Panthers in Pennsylvania the last i checked...

Chris

Or Penguins for that matter!  ::)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/04/05 at 10:17 am

No Pirates, either.......I hope ;)

;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/04/05 at 10:20 am

The NBA's UTAH JAZZ...first off,the team should have changed names when they moved outta New Orleans...which is the birthplace of jazz...

secondly,a more fitting Utah name would be either the Utahns(what people from Utah supposedly call themselves)or Brighams(as in Brigham Young,one of the founders of the Mormon sect...)
Exactly! Jazz in Utah?? No. They also had this happen in the late great ABA (American Basketball Association) when the original Los Angeles Stars franchise moved to Utah in 1970 and become the Utah Stars ::) I think Pioneers would've worked better :-\\

http://www.remembertheaba.com/ABALogos/MiniStarsLogo3.GIFhttp://www.remembertheaba.com/ABALogos/MiniStarsLogo.GIF

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/04/05 at 10:22 am

Chris

Crazy as the old Pittsburgh Condors of the ABA!

http://www.remembertheaba.com/ABALogos/MiniCondorsLogo2.GIF

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/04/05 at 11:36 am

Utah Jazz  ::)  ;D

Written By: bj26 on 04/04/05 at 12:32 pm

North Carolina Tar Heels  :o  What the heck is that?

Minnesota Gophers, Go Gophers! I mean really, couldn't they come up with a better mascot?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/04/05 at 12:39 pm

North Carolina Tar Heels  :o  What the heck is that?

Minnesota Gophers, Go Gophers! I mean really, couldn't they come up with a better mascot?

The Expos have a weird mascot.

http://www.webruler.com/catspride/photos/youppi.jpg

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/04/05 at 1:40 pm

Utah Jazz  ::)  ;D
It's been covered, Jamie :) Look up a few posts ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/04/05 at 1:42 pm

The Expos have a weird mascot.

http://www.webruler.com/catspride/photos/youppi.jpg
HAD a weird mascot, Jamie. Montreal no longer has a team or a macot :-\\

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/04/05 at 1:43 pm

Philadelphia HAS a weird mascot!! ;D

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/pg2/2001/0507/photo/s_phanatic_i.jpg

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/04/05 at 2:15 pm

HAD a weird mascot, Jamie. Montreal no longer has a team or a macot :-\\

DC now has Youpie!  ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/04/05 at 2:34 pm

DC now has Youpie!  ;D
;D I've seen ;)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 04/04/05 at 5:22 pm

Philadelphia HAS a weird mascot!! ;D

http://sportsmed.starwave.com/media/pg2/2001/0507/photo/s_phanatic_i.jpg

Are you makin' fun of the Phillie Phanatic? :P

I hope the Phillies have a decent season....

Written By: RockandRollFan on 04/04/05 at 6:37 pm

Are you makin' fun of the Phillie Phanatic? :P

I hope the Phillies have a decent season....
No! I love the Phanatic :) I hope they have a decent enough season to overtake the Braves!

Written By: Echo Nomad on 05/15/06 at 1:09 am

In Illinois we have one HS team that calls itself the "Freeport Pretzels"!

Check for new replies or respond here...