inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Scariest movie?

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/20/04 at 5:14 pm

What movie scares the crap outta you?

Subject: Re: Scariest movie?

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/20/04 at 5:21 pm

If you want to see a scary movie, rent the DVD "Wonderland", starring Val Kilmer.

If you ever thought about doing drugs or hanging out with unsavory characters, this true-story movie will scare the living heck out of you and you won't even try.  It is the best anti-drug movie I have ever seen.  ???

Written By: Cheetara on 05/20/04 at 5:22 pm

Freddy Krueger still scares me.  In the past, I even had dreams where the character terrorized me.  :o

Written By: Hairspray on 05/20/04 at 5:45 pm

None of the above, but I find them entertaining as all get out!! 8)

Written By: Bobby on 05/20/04 at 6:32 pm

I watched the Japanese version of 'The Ring'. It's basically a one trick pony but it's a trick that scared the heck out of me.

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/20/04 at 6:42 pm

I watched the Japanese version of 'The Ring'. It's basically a one trick pony but it's a trick that scared the heck out of me.

I've never seen the Japanese version, but if its anything like the American version...the ending gave me chills up my spine!

Written By: Bobby on 05/20/04 at 7:03 pm

I've never seen the Japanese version, but if its anything like the American version...the ending gave me chills up my spine!

Did it show the girl coming out of the well and through the telly? The way she moved closer and closer . . .

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/20/04 at 7:12 pm

Did it show the girl coming out of the well and through the telly? The way she moved closer and closer . . .

Yes!

Right after she came out of the well.  (sorry for anyone that hasn't seen it. :P)

It was brilliantly done.

I agree with you that the movie was a one trick pony, as a whole.  But the last 5 minutes were excellent.

Written By: resinchaser on 05/20/04 at 7:13 pm

None of them scare me now. But The Exorcist scared the crap out of me when I was young.

Written By: Indy Gent on 05/20/04 at 7:39 pm

The other flick was "Black Christmas", where an obscene phone caller killed sorority babes and recorded their screams and death throes to play with each call.

Written By: SteveH on 05/20/04 at 7:56 pm

I voted for The Exorcist, although the first Alien was pretty creepy, and Jaws was intense.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/20/04 at 8:10 pm

The Exorcist, Christine and "The Shining" from 1980 :o

Written By: mr.smith s on 05/20/04 at 8:14 pm

Stephen Kings's

"IT"

Written By: Bobby on 05/20/04 at 8:37 pm

Yes!

Right after she came out of the well.  (sorry for anyone that hasn't seen it. :P)

It was brilliantly done.

I agree with you that the movie was a one trick pony, as a whole.  But the last 5 minutes were excellent.

Er . . . Ahem! That is a bit of a spoiler for anybody wanting to see the film, isn't it? Still, it's worth a look.

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/20/04 at 8:46 pm

Er . . . Ahem! That is a bit of a spoiler for anybody wanting to see the film, isn't it?

Bahh, its been out there for long enough.  if they haven't seen it by now.  Too bad.  ;D

Written By: Lanie on 05/20/04 at 8:49 pm

"The Ring"...I still cover my eyes at certain parts... :o

Written By: Rush on 05/20/04 at 8:52 pm

I picked Halloween, Prince Of Darkness and Christine though I would really say any John Carpenter film.  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/20/04 at 8:57 pm

THE SHINING

Dick Hallorann says
Some places are like people: some shine and some don't.
:o

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/20/04 at 11:16 pm

THE SHINING

Dick Hallorann says
Some places are like people: some shine and some don't.
:o

Nice choice, MaxwellSmart....it was a great movie, wasn't it :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/21/04 at 12:37 am

"The Shining" is one of those movies that gnaws at your brain!  The more you think about it, the scarier it is.  That's why it's more disturbing to me now than when I was a kid. 
The problem with those slasher flicks is the evil is completely externalized.  In "The Shining" you watch (no, you feel]/i]) Jack Torrance's mind deteriorating and the whole situation going to hell.  The edited version cuts out the swear words and the grotesque nudity in the bath scene, but it doesn't diminish the horror of the evil taking control
Speaking of the bath scene, there is excellent use of ambient soundtrack (the white noise and the heartbeat sound) by Wendy Carlos.  Even though you know what's going to happen, it's still excruciating.

Unbelievably, Stanley Kubrick claims the kid who played Danny Torrance didn't even know it was a horror film until after it was made.  I don't know how Kubrick pulled that off, but he was very protective of the kid on the set.

Another movie I found extremely scary was The Blair Witch Project.  I saw it before all the hype got whipped up.  I read a lot of bad reviews later on, and I can see their points.  If I was alone in the woods with those kids, I'd wanna kill 'em too!  However, the film had a the right amount of situational deterioration, confusion, internecine fighting, and evil presence to scare me half crazy!

Written By: Jessica on 05/21/04 at 1:12 am

The Ring (Japanese version). It didn't scare me at first, but on the seventh day, I freaked out every time the phone rang. :P

I also LOVE The Shining (1980). It was positively brilliant and Jack Nicholson was extremely cool (and extremely scary).

Written By: blackdog on 05/21/04 at 4:53 am

Even though it wasn't listed, Cujo still scares me.   And can't go camping  in a tent or cabin without thinking about Jason & the 13th.

Written By: pennsygirl on 05/21/04 at 6:36 am

The Shining.  I must have seen that movie about 10 times and it still scares the life out of me.  Another one was Fear.com.  I found it while flipping through channels, and what I saw of it was pretty creepy.

Written By: maddog on 05/21/04 at 8:12 am

"The Shining" from 1980 :o

I absolutely agree Mark, it's a brilliant film but unsettling. I saw it again recently...the part where Shelly Duvall is running around in a panic, pathetically waving a knife, and encounters the "ghosts" in an upstairs bedroom of the hotel, is genuinely scary. Also the two little girls.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/21/04 at 8:17 am

I saw the Exorcist for the first time in the mid 90's.

I realise at the time it must have been scary but all I did was laugh most of the time  :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/21/04 at 2:53 pm

One night, when I was about 12, a friend had a slumber party and we watched "Children of the Corn" and "The Shining" (right after the "Faces of Death" series).  Imagine 6 11-12 year old girls watching those at around midnight.  Her dad was none too happy with us ;D

I don't blame him, that's just wrong!  It turns out a lot of the "Faces of Death" footage was bogus, but that doesn't matter if you're convinced it's real!

Maddog wrote:
I absolutely agree Mark, it's a brilliant film but unsettling. I saw it again recently...the part where Shelly Duvall is running around in a panic, pathetically waving a knife, and encounters the "ghosts" in an upstairs bedroom of the hotel, is genuinely scary. Also the two little girls.
Ohhh, that's creepy, I get the chills just thinking about the scene with two ghosts.  I think one's in a bear costume and the other's in a lion costume, it's a flash from some twisted Halloween party in the past.  They're in the hotel room doing something kinky.
The two little girs saying "Come play with us, Danny, forever and ever and ever," as the blood floods the hallway, and the camera cuts to Danny in sheer terror, that's another unforgettable moment.
Delbert Grady:
"My girls didn't take to the hotel either.  One of them even stole a pack of matches and tried to burn it down,
but I co-rrrected them.  When my wife tried to interfere, I co-rrrected her too."

Written By: Cheetara on 05/21/04 at 3:45 pm

Hellraiser Series... 

Pinhead wasn't scary but the thought of hell was....yikes!!!!!!!!!! :o 8) :o

We have such sights to show you, Kirsty.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/21/04 at 4:51 pm

I saw the Exorcist for the first time in the mid 90's.

I realise at the time it must have been scary but all I did was laugh most of the time  :-\\
Did you see the ORIGINAL(read:uncut)version? TV waters down (edits all the really gross parts out)that movie A LOT!!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/21/04 at 4:57 pm

FACES OF DEATH freaked me out too,especially the execution scene,the one involving the ELECTRIC CHAIR!I know how inhumane it is now,and why now many guests on death row get the lethal injection. I'm not sure if capital punishment really deters future murderers from killing,most are too sociopathic :-X to care what happens!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/21/04 at 5:22 pm

Did you see the ORIGINAL(read:uncut)version? TV waters down (edits all the really gross parts out)that movie A LOT!!

Hi Tonyfan....

I dunno what I saw.  I know I saw it on TV, but our censorship restrictions are nowhere near as draconian as yours..... :)

Maybe I'll rent it out and have another laugh (or hide behind the couch, one or the other)  ;D

Written By: Vapor Trails on 05/21/04 at 6:52 pm

The Exorcist wins hands down! The movie creeped me out and I would still see images from it when I slept.

Written By: Powerslave on 05/22/04 at 12:40 am

I thought Evil Dead was pretty scary the first time I saw it. And an obscure film called Scarecrows about some army deserters who steal a military payroll and parachute into a corn field. A really good edge-of-your-seat thriller.

Written By: NbC on 05/22/04 at 5:18 am

The Excorist when it first came out.  I was quite young then so watching that movie at that age freaked me out.  Now of course there isn't a movie that has scared me...maybe grossed me out. 

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 05/23/04 at 4:51 pm

Tough choices there.... But my top choces are:

Halloween. This film hs stood the test of time and still scares the crap out of me after seeing it some 50 billion times!  :o John Carpenter is a genious and Donald Pleasence was brilliant as Dr. Loomis. Michael Myers couldn't get any creepier than he was in this film. My other favorite Halloweens were H20, 4, 2, and the theatrical version of 6.

Nightmare on Elm Street. Elm Street is a pretty creepy film. It's hard to believe the nightmares started twenty years ago. Wes Craven has made some excellent horror movies that have stood the test of time. Freddy was really creepy in the original and in New Nightmare.

My only beef with the original Friday the 13th is that Jason was not the killer. But, I used to watch Part 1 before I went to bed and it really creeped me out. My favorites in the series are the ones with Jason with the hockey mask.

Written By: mandamoo on 05/24/04 at 7:22 am

Poltergeist had me hiding behind my hands, the first time I saw it  :D

Written By: Lanie on 05/24/04 at 10:25 pm

Even though it wasn't listed, Cujo still scares me.   And can't go camping  in a tent or cabin without thinking about Jason & the 13th.

I agree. Those two movies still scare me as well.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/28/04 at 6:31 pm

ROSEMARY'S BABY!! and THE OMEN!

Written By: SteveH on 05/29/04 at 2:40 pm

ROSEMARY'S BABY!!

Good pick.  I'd forgotten about that one when I first posted.  If nothing else, the movie proves you can make a spine-tingler without special effects and drooling baddies.

Written By: Zed Omega on 06/01/04 at 11:45 am

Scariest movie ever?

I can't choose between these 5:

Gigli - w/ Jennifer Lopes
Crossroads - w/ Brittney Spears
Swept Away - w/ Madonna
Glitter - w/ Mariah Carrey
The Fighting Temptations – w/ Bouncy Knowles

They all give me the creeps every time I think of their existence, more so than any other movies I’ve known to exist. Horror movies make me laugh, but these are the most horrifying creations put on celluloid!

Written By: hoogbest on 06/01/04 at 2:40 pm

"The Thing" circa 1950s. I was about 8 or 9 and it scared me so much I couldn't go into a room alone for as year! :o

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 06/01/04 at 5:59 pm

FACES OF DEATH!!I can't believe the halfway house I was in at the time actually let a resident rent THAT DISGUSTING MOVIE!!

Written By: Bobby on 06/01/04 at 6:53 pm

FACES OF DEATH!!I can't believe the halfway house I was in at the time actually let a resident rent THAT DISGUSTING MOVIE!!

Isn't that about people getting executed and stuff? I have heard horrible things about it. I have no intentions of watching such sickness.

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/01/04 at 6:59 pm

Believe it or not, they came up with at least 4 Faces of Death movies. And their's another snuff film series from England that shows news footage of violent deaths of people that was censored from TV. Anyone with a phone and credit card could own it. :(
Here's another scary film that nobody knows about, "The Lift". It was a Dutch film about people being killed by an elevator lift that has a mind of it's own. It bogs down toward the end, but the last few frames leave you guessing. If you still have a VCR, rent it.

Isn't that about people getting executed and stuff? I have heard horrible things about it. I have no intentions of watching such sickness.

Written By: Bobby on 06/01/04 at 7:45 pm

Believe it or not, they came up with at least 4 Faces of Death movies. And their's another snuff film series from England that shows news footage of violent deaths of people that was censored from TV. Anyone with a phone and credit card could own it. :(

I love horror films but snuff is an entirely different league of it's own. At least while watching a horror film, the disbelief knowing these people are acting something made up makes it more psychologically palatable. Watching a snuff movie knowing that this person has really died right before your eyes is something I couldn't watch intentionally.

Four films? Sheesh.

Written By: Hairspray on 06/01/04 at 8:09 pm

Fortunately for the world, the footage used in the "Faces" series is all fictitious, not real. It was purposely presented as real for underground marketing purposes. There are some videos out there of real life accidents and accidental deaths captured on film, but they do not fall under the "snuff' category. Snuff is a relatively small and alternative genre created to be presented as real by the underground industry for the morbid and morbidly curious. The intent is to shock, not entertain. Of course, it is illegal. Good thing too. That trash should be highly discouraged. :P

Written By: Hairspray on 06/01/04 at 8:23 pm

Back on topic -

Scariest movie? I know I didn't list any, but I think the original "Dawn of the Dead" was suspenseful because I remember I was at the edge of my seat at the theatre screaming at the screen to the characters "Run!" and wondering who would survive. The beginning is weird because it's unrealistic as heck, they got carried away with attempted "shock value"; and in retrospect, the effects left a lot to be desired. "Zombie 2" was much better effect-wise. "Evil Dead" is one of my faves and a classic as far as I'm concerned, along with "The Omen", "The Exorcist", "Amittyville Horror", "The Shining", "Trilogy of Terror", "Patrick", "The Others" (excellent ghost story), "The Sixth Sense" (ditto), and a quite a few old classics starring Vincent Price.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 11/09/04 at 11:08 am

The scariest movie of all times:

Earnest Goes to Camp (or any other Earnest movie) AAAUUUUGGGGGHHHHH Frightning, frightning.

Cat

Written By: McDonald on 11/09/04 at 1:09 pm

Hell yes! Not really scary to me, but one of the greatest films ever, and of course, it's Kubrick. SK was the man when it came to movies, that's why he's the master. I love "Clockwork Orange."

I am surprised no one has mentioned "House of 1000 Corpses" the Rob Zombie flick. Great piece of horror. Some of you might be interested to know that Rob is one of the main dudes affiliated with a new 24 hr cable channel dedicated to horror, which was supposed to go live on Halloween of this year. He also has a new movie coming out... can't wait for it. (RZ is a guy who has every horror film ever made, on DVD).

Written By: elefanten on 11/09/04 at 3:19 pm

SCARY MOVIE

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/09/04 at 4:41 pm

I could only select "The Exorcist" and "Halloween" from the list.  The others I either haven't seen, or consider silly more than scary.

My three would be:
The Shining
The Silence of the Lambs
The Blair Witch Project

Other scaries, non-ranking:
Rosemary's Baby
Midnight Express
Alien
Nosferatu
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Dracula (1932 original with Bela Lugosi)
Psycho (1958 original only)
Deliverance
Carrie
The Serpent and the Rainbow
Eraserhead
El Topo
Ghost Story (1981, Fred Astaire's last major motion picture)
Fargo

Although Deliverance and Midnight Express aren't technically in the horror genre, both films arouse anxiety.  A lot of people wouldn't think of Eraserhead or El Topo as "scary" per se, but they're soooo weird they send your mind to very alienating spaces.  I had to add Fargo even though it's billed more as a comedy.  Fargo is one of my all time favorites.  The scariness is in the psychopathology of the two bungling criminals and the way nobody in the film can do anything right and the situations grows more and more horrible throughout the story.

Written By: Michelle on 11/10/04 at 4:48 pm

No matter how hard I try, I can't think of the Shining as scary. Really well-made movie though.
There's something about the original Psycho that made me never want to shower again.
Same thing with Stephen King's It.  :o

Written By: Alchoholica on 11/10/04 at 5:44 pm

Lmao.. Deliverance (freakin scary)

The film i found scariest.. at least as a kid, and take in to account i used to watch loads of nasty's.. was Robo Cop. Because at that age i honestly thought that they would make Robo Cops and one would shoot me accidentally.. or like half a malfunction and kill me... morbid thoughts for an 9 year old.

Written By: onaree on 11/12/04 at 9:31 am

The Amityville Horror was scary to me when I was a kid.  I didn't sleep all night just from watching the previews.  Later, it turned out to be Candyman that scared me while in college.  I also remember being terrified of Helter Skelter.  Today, the previews for The Grudge have caused me some sleeplessness.

As far as horror movies go, my all time faves are:

Scream
Nightmare on Elm Street
Halloween H2O (I know it's a sequel, but it's not that bad)

I think that Saw looks as if it's going to be pretty good, too.

Written By: Elvis on 11/17/04 at 11:36 am

The Wizard of Oz, it's traumatizing to a young mind. The Exorcist should win because of the sacrey truth that evil spirits do try and steal our souls just not so graphic as the movie however but just as destructive. Last house on the Left was an eerie fim it's almost like a documentary of a killing spree. Blair Witch was a bummer -I got dizzy and felt ripped off. The rest these days don't scare me at all. Maybe we know too much about movie making now. Psycho for it's time was intense and as for Deliverance - I live 30 miles from where that movie was filmed and there are still some of those neanderthal type there who still make moonshine "likker" and will kill you in a heartbeat. Maybe some rappers tour bus could get lost there and that would be a good movie- or would that be a comedy?

Check for new replies or respond here...