inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I Hate Cicadas.

Written By: zcrito on 05/26/04 at 2:44 pm

I've walked passed trees where there must have been thousands of them and the sound they make is a sort of pulsating sound that is flat out deafening and gives me a headache. It is unreal. It sounds a little like that Martian death ray in the '50s movie "The War of the Worlds". :o
>:( >:( >:( >:(

Subject: Re: I Hate Cicadas.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 05/26/04 at 2:54 pm

Its like that joke from Conan O'Brain.

''Make a God awful noise and leaves for 17 years: Cicadas as to
Makes a God awful noise and leaves forever: Hootie and the Blowfish.''  I haven't seen or heard one in my life, they must not be in my area.

Written By: redhead007 on 05/26/04 at 3:28 pm

Makes a God awful noise and leaves forever: Hootie and the Blowfish.''  I haven't seen or heard one in my life, they must not be in my area.

Be lucky that you've never heard them then. You're not missing much. They are quite annoying indeed. They don't even really do anything besides be couch potatoes for 17 years in the ground, emerge, annoy us, make more annoying ciacadas, then die.  ::) At least it'll hopefully all be over soon.

Written By: lebeiw15 on 05/26/04 at 3:38 pm

I kind of like them.  When there's seven or eight of them doing their little "noise" at the same time, it gets pretty annoying.  But hearing one in the distance, is kind of nice. :)

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/26/04 at 4:12 pm

I am sick of them already.  Its true, if you walk next to an area where there are a ton of them doing their thing, it sounds like we are being invaded ineed.

Luckily they have begun spraying so they won't be around long...hopefully.

Written By: SmithsGirl on 05/26/04 at 4:12 pm

They freak me out. Once while camping I didnt leave the trailer for hours because one was on the screen door.  :P

SmithsGirl

Written By: Cheetara on 05/26/04 at 4:15 pm

They make the MOST annoying sounds...aside from bees... >:(

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/26/04 at 4:19 pm

They freak me out. Once while camping I didnt leave the trailer for hours because one was on the screen door.  :P

SmithsGirl

You just gave me my first out-loud laugh of the day. :D

I got a visual of someone all curled up in the corner of the camper with an evil cicada staring at them laughing.

Written By: Howard on 05/26/04 at 5:46 pm

They are the most ugliest bugs I've seen. :P Sometimes you can touch them but they fly away! ;D

Howard

Written By: Paul on 05/27/04 at 5:43 pm

They are quite annoying indeed. They don't even really do anything besides be couch potatoes for 17 years in the ground, emerge, annoy us, make more annoying ciacadas, then die.  ::) 

Opportunistic quick visual gag...God! How true!!

Written By: Howard on 05/27/04 at 6:13 pm

They're the most annoying in The Summer mornings.I hate that. >:(

Howard

Written By: zcrito on 05/27/04 at 8:15 pm

Hootie and the Blowfish...that's funny. ::)

They must like certain types of trees. I've seen none where I live but where I go to school they're all over the place. It's so bad people have to take them off their clothing when they come into the buildings. :P

;) ;D

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/28/04 at 1:47 pm

I'm so used to those nasty things.  Every late summer they come out around where I live.  But I'm so used to hearing all the crickets and birds and everything else that they don't make that much difference.

They are gross looking with those huge eyes, but what's fun is watching your pet cats play with them.  If there's one on the garage slab or any flat surface, they'll start playing hockey with it.  It's so funny to watch...from a distance though...so it doesn't fly out on you. 

One of the funniest things I've seen was when one of my cats had a cicada in the grass.  You know how cats like to take their time, just keep their "toy" in one spot and occasionally bite and play with it.  Well, my dog walked by the cat, and then the cicada chirped really loud.  The dog's ears shot up, she walked back right in front of the cat and ate the whole cicada.  My cat had this look on his face like "HEY!!! That was MY toy!!!  >:("    :D

Written By: Howard on 05/28/04 at 7:05 pm

One time,A cicada flew right on my arm and I shooed it away quickly after cause it's hind legs were sticking me. :(

Howard

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/28/04 at 8:18 pm

No cicadae where I live.  But then I guess I'd never know.

I live on this lake, and right now there are probably 100 Canadian Geese and 50 goslings or so and they peck at the grass constantly in search of food.  Maybe they're scarfing down all the cicadae?  :-\\

Written By: zcrito on 05/28/04 at 11:28 pm

No cicadae where I live.  But then I guess I'd never know.

I live on this lake, and right now there are probably 100 Canadian Geese and 50 goslings or so and they peck at the grass constantly in search of food.  Maybe they're scarfing down all the cicadae?  :-\\

I heard someone mention the other day -- and it stuck with me -- how much geese like eating cicadas. Ganders like cicadae.
So I guess what's good for the goose...

::)
>:( :D ??? ::)

Written By: Howard on 05/29/04 at 9:06 am

Has anyone ever tried to pet a cicada before? :P ;D

Howard

Written By: Howard on 05/30/04 at 10:41 am

http://www.fivearmies.com/2004-05-cicedas/splash_small.jpg

Now,try to pet this one..... ;D :P

Howard

Written By: hoogbest on 05/30/04 at 10:48 am

Actually. they're not bad fried in some peanut oil with a mustard dip on the side! ;)

Written By: Howard on 05/30/04 at 10:51 am

Actually. they're not bad fried in some peanut oil with a mustard dip on the side! ;)

I wouldn't eat those. :P :o

Howard

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/30/04 at 3:55 pm

Now,try to pet this one..... ;D :P

Howard

This looks different from the ones where I live.  They are light brown/yellow and their eyes are much bigger.  They also leave little shells sitting around that they've hatched out of.  :P  ick!

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/30/04 at 5:01 pm

This looks different from the ones where I live.  They are light brown/yellow and their eyes are much bigger.  They also leave little shells sitting around that they've hatched out of.   :P  ick!

Those shells are delicious if you clean 'em up and then stuff 'em with your favorite paté. 

Arrange on a parchment-lined cookie sheet, lightly spinkle with shredded cheese, then set in the oven till cheese is melted.

:P

Written By: Howard on 05/31/04 at 10:09 am

This looks different from the ones where I live.  They are light brown/yellow and their eyes are much bigger.  They also leave little shells sitting around that they've hatched out of.   :P  ick!

Sometimes Queen,they leave empty skeletal shells on my fence. :P

Howard

Written By: Howard on 05/31/04 at 10:11 am

I used to check out the way cicadas walk. I get on my hands and knees and just stare at them closely and poke them. ;D :P

Howard

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/31/04 at 4:44 pm

I used to check out the way cicadas walk. I get on my hands and knees and just stare at them closely and poke them. ;D :P

Howard

They do walk funny.  They just slowly wobble from side to side.  Oh, and btw, cats also love to just play with their shells.  :D

Written By: zcrito on 06/01/04 at 11:56 am

Now there's a face I've seen a hundred times this past month. My red eyed friend.  >:(
Good picture.
Does anyone have a sound clip of the sounds they make?

;) ;D

Written By: lebeiw15 on 06/01/04 at 12:08 pm

So.. I guess I'm the only one who likes cicadas then.  :-\\ :(

:D

Written By: Howard on 06/01/04 at 4:30 pm

Now there's a face I've seen a hundred times this past month. My red eyed friend.  >:(
Good picture.
Does anyone have a sound clip of the sounds they make?

;) ;D

I think there is a web site where you can listen to a minute and 37 seconds of the sound of the cicada mating call. :P

Howard

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/01/04 at 7:14 pm

So.. I guess I'm the only one who likes cicadas then.  :-\\ :(

:D

I like 'em too !  They rock.  8)

Written By: blackdog on 06/03/04 at 2:25 am

I'd never heard of cicada's till a week ago when a co-worker informed me she was traveling cross country to Philadelphia to see them.  And so excited for some strange reason. What an odd vacation!  Thankfully, they don't make any appearances in the west coast.

When she started talking about cicada's... I thought at first she was talking about Jon Secada   Lol!    :-\\

Written By: Howard on 06/03/04 at 5:42 pm

Well,come this Summer you all have to get used to it & that includes the chirping crickets! ;D

Howard

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/29/04 at 8:34 pm

Well,come this Summer you all have to get used to it & that includes the chirping crickets! ;D

Howard

I'm glad I don't have to.

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/29/04 at 9:11 pm

The cicada's have been gone from this area for about two weeks now.  Thank goodness :P

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/30/04 at 9:00 am

Here, too. I was afraid I was going to lose my hearing for a while. :-\\

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/30/04 at 3:21 pm

They'll be back in 17 years....

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 06/30/04 at 6:51 pm

Why do yall complain so much?  I actually like the sound of cicadas.  They just gotta stay in the trees, or at least not swarming around me. 

Check for new replies or respond here...