inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Should we get rid of pennies?

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/26/04 at 4:30 pm

Its been considered for several years to scrap the penny.

To do this would mean that prices would just be round up/down to the nearest nickel, depending on the vendor's choice.

I say yes, get rid of those annoying things.  I never use them.  They just collect and I eventually turn them into the bank for a few dollars.  But I would gladly just just rid of them all together.

What do you think?

Subject: Re: Should we get rid of pennies?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 05/26/04 at 4:32 pm

Keep them around, if I get enough I throw it at the bums in Berkeley and San Francisco and they're happy so they have some use after all :)

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/26/04 at 4:37 pm

Keep them around, if I get enough I throw it at the bums in Berkeley and San Francisco and they're happy so they have some use after all :)

Well, that make you a humanitarian then.  Think about it, if you throw 50 pennies at a single bum, you have bought them a can of Coke. :)

Written By: Howard on 05/26/04 at 5:07 pm

I keep them but I haven't gotten to even wrap them yet.Eventually I will get to it. ;)

Howard

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/26/04 at 6:19 pm

The necessity of all debts being divisible by five would make implementing and collecting taxes even more maddening than today!

Written By: Marian on 05/26/04 at 7:56 pm

Well, that make you a humanitarian then.  Think about it, if you throw 50 pennies at a single bum, you have bought them a can of Coke. :)
;D ;D ;D ;D ;DThat alone makes them useful!Cheers!

Written By: Hairspray on 05/26/04 at 10:06 pm

- No, I love counting my pennies at the counter -

You darn tootin'. 8)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/26/04 at 10:33 pm

"Find a penny pick it up, all day long you'll have good luck!"  I've gotten the luck AND given the luck.....Keep'em ;)

Written By: AL-B on 05/26/04 at 10:36 pm

I read this funny story on this website by this guy named Maddox. He was saying that instead of spending $10 million on bombs in Iraq and Afghanistan, we should instead load up our bombers full of $10 million in pennies and drop them from 50,000 ft. (Everyone knows that if you drop a penny from the Empire State Building and it hits someone on the ground it'll kill them.) $10 million in pennies would be BILLIONS of pennies and they'd wipe out everything on the ground. Those who survive the attack could then gather up all the pennies on the ground and use them to rebuild their economy.

Written By: 80sRocked on 05/26/04 at 10:40 pm

(Everyone knows that if you drop a penny from the Empire State Building and it hits someone on the ground it'll kill them.) 

I've tried it.  Doesn't work :D

They just fall down onto the next level below the observation deck.  And those that do get thrown past that level fall the the next one below that.  Its an open-air deck (with a fence), and they collect thousdands of pennies thrown by suckers like me. :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/26/04 at 10:59 pm

I read this funny story on this website by this guy named Maddox. He was saying that instead of spending $10 million on bombs in Iraq and Afghanistan, we should instead load up our bombers full of $10 million in pennies and drop them from 50,000 ft. (Everyone knows that if you drop a penny from the Empire State Building and it hits someone on the ground it'll kill them.) $10 million in pennies would be BILLIONS of pennies and they'd wipe out everything on the ground. Those who survive the attack could then gather up all the pennies on the ground and use them to rebuild their economy.

Yeah, we'll turn you into the world's biggest "take-a-penny-leave-a-penny" tray!

80sRocked wrote:
:oI've tried it.  Doesn't work

They just fall down onto the next level below the observation deck.  And those that do get thrown past that level fall the the next one below that.  Its an open-air deck (with a fence), and they collect thousdands of pennies thrown by suckers like me.

You need something with more density, ever try a horse shoe?  Those are great!  You just whip them out far enough to get passed the building's wind influence.  They'll reach maximum velocity and go straight through a taxi-cab.  The best thing is the cops will come up and blame the nearest Clydesdale instead of you!
;D

Written By: Howard on 05/27/04 at 5:37 pm

I collect pennies.But,I would like to cash it in for dollar bills.

Howard

Written By: FanOfTheMonkees on 05/27/04 at 8:28 pm

Keep the pennies because my sister collects them as do I for her.

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 05/28/04 at 4:19 am

It must be 8 or 10 years since Australia got rid of 1 and 2 cent pieces. (FussB ? Manda? anyone remember when it was ?).  I remember $1 coins came in in 84 and $2 coins came in sometime when I was out of Oz - so between 88 and 91.  But cant think when we lost copper coins.

My assumption at the time was that over time pricing would all change to 0 and 5.  But no - everyone can still advertise stuff for $2.99 - even tho legally they have to charge you $3 (if you are paying cash).

I see it as fraudulent false advertising personally.  And if I am in the mood to annoy someone - I make a point of saying so at the checkout !

Written By: Mangoo on 05/28/04 at 5:40 am

Heck no!Pennies are the best way to pay off somebody if you lose a bet.Any way we need Abe Lincoln on a coin.

Written By: mandamoo on 05/28/04 at 7:45 am

It must be 8 or 10 years since Australia got rid of 1 and 2 cent pieces. (FussB ? Manda? anyone remember when it was ?). 

I think they started phasing them out from around 1990, BMG.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/28/04 at 8:07 am

It must be 8 or 10 years since Australia got rid of 1 and 2 cent pieces. (FussB ? Manda? anyone remember when it was ?).  I remember $1 coins came in in 84 and $2 coins came in sometime when I was out of Oz - so between 88 and 91.  But cant think when we lost copper coins.

My assumption at the time was that over time pricing would all change to 0 and 5.  But no - everyone can still advertise stuff for $2.99 - even tho legally they have to charge you $3 (if you are paying cash).

I see it as fraudulent false advertising personally.  And if I am in the mood to annoy someone - I make a point of saying so at the checkout !

Like you say BMG, 'twould have made more SENSE to make everything muliples of 5 cents - then there would be no argument, and the checkout chicks wouldn't need to cringe when they saw you coming hey ?  ;D

To be honest though, I am so used to it now it doesn't bother me, and the 1 and 2 cent coins were rather pesky  :P

Written By: pennsygirl on 05/28/04 at 9:57 am

No, keep them around.  As long as I have a jar of pennies, I'm never broke!  ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/12/05 at 5:54 pm

*bump*

Written By: Red Ant on 05/12/05 at 9:53 pm

No, we shouldn't get rid of them. Then the phrases " I'll put my 2 cents worth in " and " penny for your thoughts " won't mean anything. :)

Back in 1982 in the US, pennies were changed from 95% copper to 95% zinc since copper at the time was verging on the price that the metal in the coin would actually be worth more than 1 cent ( it took 154 pennies pre-82 to have a lb of copper and their fear was that copper would exceed 1.54 per pound ).

Besides, as I work for " pennies a day " as it is, if we got rid of them I wouldn't have a paycheck ( or if we went to nickels I'd have to wait 5 times as long for it ). >:(

Being a bit of a coin buff the US has had 1/2 cent pieces, as well as 2 cent pieces ( in the 1800s ). I believe that there were even 3 cent pieces in the 1870s ( I know there were $3 gold coins for a while ).

We need to get rid of half dollar and dollar coins though.

I saw that Maddox article as well. It was morbid but funny.

Written By: jiminy on 05/12/05 at 11:35 pm

first the penny, what's next, the gumball machine?    ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/12/05 at 11:55 pm

No, we shouldn't get rid of them. Then the phrases " I'll put my 2 cents worth in " and " penny for your thoughts " won't mean anything. :)

Back in 1982 in the US, pennies were changed from 95% copper to 95% zinc since copper at the time was verging on the price that the metal in the coin would actually be worth more than 1 cent ( it took 154 pennies pre-82 to have a lb of copper and their fear was that copper would exceed 1.54 per pound ).

Besides, as I work for " pennies a day " as it is, if we got rid of them I wouldn't have a paycheck ( or if we went to nickels I'd have to wait 5 times as long for it ). >:(

Being a bit of a coin buff the US has had 1/2 cent pieces, as well as 2 cent pieces ( in the 1800s ). I believe that there were even 3 cent pieces in the 1870s ( I know there were $3 gold coins for a while ).

We need to get rid of half dollar and dollar coins though.

I saw that Maddox article as well. It was morbid but funny.
I agree with you...AND I really appreciate you for your sig line message... remembering a great voice and man....indeed R.I.P. Layne :\'(

Written By: jiminy on 05/13/05 at 12:03 am

I say keep them, I love how they make your hand smell after holding a handfull for about 20 minutes   :D

Written By: Kenlos on 05/13/05 at 12:23 am

Keep them, pennies are my favorite.  I think that is probably because out of the commonly used coins they are different, they don't look like everybody else in the US coin world.

Check for new replies or respond here...