inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who's Worse? (Current Rappers)

Written By: woops on 05/27/04 at 3:12 pm

My choice: Nelly, 50 Cent, Jay Z, & Kanye West. IMO, the worst of the worst.

And "Sorry, I don't like rap, but I respect it"
BTW, I prefer hip hop from the '80's to the mid '90's.  8)

Subject: Re: Who's Worse? (Current Rappers)

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/27/04 at 3:16 pm

Who the *BLANKETY-BLEEP* voted for my man Kanye???? 
;)  Just messin' with y'all.  I voted for Nelly.  But it was a close tie between him and Lil' Kim. 

Written By: Lanie on 05/27/04 at 3:18 pm

Sorry, I don't like rap, but I respect it.  :)

Written By: Cheetara on 05/27/04 at 3:24 pm

I vote for:  50 Cent. 

Sorry but I'm not feeling his rhymes at all.  >:(

Besides... I prefer "old school rap" anyways...  Very few current rap artists that I actually like. 

Old school stuff like:

A Tribe Called Quest
Big Daddy Kane
Run DMC
NWA
Doug E Fresh
Slick Rick
Boogie Down Productions
Salt n Pepa
MC Lyte
UTFO
Real Roxanne
Leaders of The New School
Nice and Smooth
Mc Shan
Kool Moe Dee
Antoinette
etc...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/27/04 at 3:37 pm

I LOVE "Amish Paradise" by weird Al ;)

Written By: Cheetara on 05/27/04 at 3:57 pm

I LOVE "Amish Paradise" by weird Al ;)

LOL @ RockandRollFan  ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/27/04 at 4:12 pm

LOL @ RockandRollFan   ;D
I love to make people laugh Cheetara :D I not only loved the song but it was so much fun to watch Coolio get so upset about it ;)

Written By: Cheetara on 05/27/04 at 4:16 pm

I love to make people laugh Cheetara :D I not only loved the song but it was so much fun to watch Coolio get so upset about it ;)

I love people who have a great sense of humor!  I always thought Coolio was corny..lol....geez...  Weird "AL" Yankovec created some funny parodies. 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/27/04 at 4:19 pm

I love people who have a great sense of humor!  I always thought Coolio was corny..lol....geez...  Weird "AL" Yankovec created some funny parodies. 
He sure has! It was just an added bonus for me to hear the rappers get upset with Al...after all the "stealing" Sampling" they do with a ton of Rock and Roll songs...rarely ever asking permission and then ultimately going broke (Hopefully)  ;)

Written By: woops on 05/27/04 at 4:57 pm

BTW, I like some songs from Coolio. And he was popular in the '90's.

I like Run DMC, LL Cool J, Beastie Boys, Salt N' Pepa, Eric B. & Rakim, Public Enemy, 2 Live Crew, Tone Loc, MC Hammer (only "U Can't Touch This"), Will Smith, Snoop Dogg (early), Biz Markei, etc.  :)

Even if most sample classic, mediocre, or lame songs from other artists.

Written By: Bobby on 05/27/04 at 5:15 pm

Lol. That would certainly make me laugh.  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 05/27/04 at 5:16 pm

Oh yeah . . . I voted 'Don't like but respect it'. I love the old school Sugarhill Gang, Grandmaster Flash and that.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 05/27/04 at 6:44 pm

I cannot really hate rap/hip-hop,because my fave band-P.O.D.-incorporate it into their sound! And lead singer SONNY is not a bad singer or rapper! But I like mostly stuff like Arrested Development('Tennesee', 'Mr Wendal',and 'People Everyday'are cool tunes!)dance stuff like Technotronic,Deee-Lite,Black Box......and yes,I like Coolio.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/27/04 at 7:07 pm

Oh yeah . . . I voted 'Don't like but respect it'. I love the old school Sugarhill Gang, Grandmaster Flash and that.

IMHO, old-school rap, including Ice-T and Public Enemy, promised a positive vehicle for social, economic, and political commentary.  Then "the man" got ahold of it and turned it into a weapon of mass destruction to use AGAINST African-American youth.
OK, maybe that's a little hyperbolical, but it's a d*mned shame Rap/Hip-Hop culture turned into a glorification of gangs, thugs, dope dealers, pimps, and 'hoes.

Written By: Jennifer028 on 05/27/04 at 8:21 pm

I cant stand Eminem

Written By: mr.smith s on 05/27/04 at 8:31 pm

It's a form of music, i can't say i respect it all. However, i almost can find a band in each category of music that I do not respect.

Written By: FanOfTheMonkees on 05/27/04 at 8:35 pm

Eminem is at the top of my list.

Written By: My name is Kenny on 05/27/04 at 10:31 pm

Sampling" they do with a ton of Rock and Roll songs...rarely ever asking permission

This is patently untrue.

People who vote for Kanye West are great big jerks.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 05/27/04 at 10:34 pm

It's a form of music, i can't say i respect it all. However, i almost can find a band in each category of music that I do not respect.

I can also say that...it's just that with Rap I find MANY more than just a few "alleged" artists to disrespect :P

Written By: Bobby on 05/28/04 at 3:30 am

IMHO, old-school rap, including Ice-T and Public Enemy, promised a positive vehicle for social, economic, and political commentary.  Then "the man" got ahold of it and turned it into a weapon of mass destruction to use AGAINST African-American youth.
OK, maybe that's a little hyperbolical, but it's a d*mned shame Rap/Hip-Hop culture turned into a glorification of gangs, thugs, dope dealers, pimps, and 'hoes.

Yep, I agree. Flash's hit 'The Message' was about the constant struggle a man has to go through to live - no glorification there but 'White lines' . . . I don't know, I get a mixed message from that. Both still great funky tracks. At least with the old school, they had a great funky beat to it and you instantly recognised it. Now it's all sampling off other people's records or it's just plain banal. I don't know about anyone else, but it sounds like music recycling to me.  :-\\

If that's what the future is, I want no part of it.  ;D

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 05/28/04 at 6:19 am

I don't like Rap.

Written By: Dagwood on 05/28/04 at 8:23 am

I strongly dislike Rap.

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 05/28/04 at 8:29 am

I strongly dislike rap

With one really strange exception : Eminem's "Lose Yourself"  :o

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 05/28/04 at 1:21 pm

BTW, I like some songs from Coolio. And he was popular in the '90's.

I like Run DMC, LL Cool J, Beastie Boys, Salt N' Pepa, Eric B. & Rakim, Public Enemy, 2 Live Crew, Tone Loc, MC Hammer (only "U Can't Touch This"), Will Smith, Snoop Dogg (early), Biz Markei, etc.  :)

Even if most sample classic, mediocre, or lame songs from other artists.

OMG I LOVE Biz Markie.  I was pretty p*ssed when that one kid made the gay little redo of "Just a Friend"  >:( 
I also remember back in 7th grade, when you were nobody if you didn't own Will Smith's "Big Willie Style" album......I was poor....I was a nobody  :\'(  But any of his "newer" stuff...not so great anymore.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/28/04 at 4:27 pm

OMG I LOVE Biz Markie.  I was pretty p*ssed when that one kid made the gay little redo of "Just a Friend"  >:(   
I also remember back in 7th grade, when you were nobody if you didn't own Will Smith's "Big Willie Style" album......I was poor....I was a nobody   :\'(   But any of his "newer" stuff...not so great anymore.

But that's what the corporate establishment wants.  They'd much rather have kids ostracizing one another over consumer status symbols than forming solidarity and focusing on REAL issues.

Written By: moonbaby345 on 06/11/04 at 2:43 am

I voted for Eve,Missy Elliot,Jay Z,Ja Rule,Lil' Kim and Kayne West.

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/11/04 at 6:25 am

I strongly dislike rap. It would be a real stretch for me to find an artist or song I can actually listen to.

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/11/04 at 3:19 pm

I cannot stand Eminem.  And Ja Rule's voice makes my stomach hurt.

The BEST one off the list would be Missy Elliot!!

Written By: Tbullsr on 06/11/04 at 4:11 pm

cRAPP stinks. What a pathetic form of music. If you can call it that.

Tim
RATT-n-ROLL

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 06/11/04 at 9:29 pm

I don't hate all rappers,House of Pain were cool,so are the BEASTIE BOYS....and RAPTURE is one of Blondie's coolest songs. Just my opinion.

Written By: Just visiting for now.. on 06/11/04 at 10:30 pm

I strongly dislike rap.

And I really dislike Eminem.   >:(   Some of his music is "okay" (my husband listens to him), but I'm one of those people that jusat has a really hard time separating the music from the musician.  :-\\ 

Written By: tv on 06/13/04 at 8:36 pm

First off don't include Nas and Kanye West in the list worst of rapoer canadites. I think Eminem has talent but I treally don't like his songs but he can rap. I think Ja Rule is not very good. Lil Kim is also bad too. Jay-Z is a hit or miss artist.

Written By: 1992thousand on 06/14/04 at 12:08 pm

ja-rule and nelly are the only ones up there that really arent that good. I don't even know that we should call ja-rule a "current" rapper, he hasnt had a song in like 2 years. Lil Kim is like the TLC of rap, all her songs are about sex, but she has some skills. Missy Elliott, shes a respectable rapper/decent singer, but to be honest its all about her videos.

Written By: tv on 06/14/04 at 12:13 pm

don't even know that we should call ja-rule a "current" rapper, he hasnt had a song in like 2 years.
Ja Rule has a new song out featuring R. Kelly.

Written By: DJ Midas on 06/16/04 at 6:54 pm

Ja Rule is the worst of this bunch IMO.

Written By: jaytee on 06/16/04 at 7:50 pm

50 cent  :P

Written By: Joel on 06/23/04 at 2:47 pm

I especially hate it when Ja Rule tries to sing. Ha Ha Ha bad rapper but even worse singer. Why do rappers think they can sing???? I guess the same reason Avril thinks she's a punk and "Dodgeball" made 80 million. People are stupid, and famous stupid people are no better. Any of those halfwits like Britney, Hillery Duff, Anastacia, Clay Aiken, etc, want to hear some real musical talents who can actually sing they should listen to Judy Garland, Connie Francis ("Where the boys are" is a song that would expose most of the so called divas out there, I dare them to try and sing it), Billie Holliday, Bette Midler,Barb Streisand, etc.

Written By: BLO-TOWN on 06/24/04 at 2:41 pm

ok, if your gonna say you hate rap or dislike it, give us a good reason.

and to even include Jay-Z, Kanye West and Nas in a list that wants the worst is a COMPLETE disgrace

Written By: Thunderbird42008 on 07/14/04 at 8:51 pm

i really dislike rap and almost every thing about it

Written By: Jessica on 07/14/04 at 11:38 pm

I HATE Ja"Wannabe Tupac"Rule and Nelly.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/15/04 at 7:41 pm

I HATE Ja"Wannabe Tupac"Rule and Nelly.
Same HERE! Along with most of the others :D ;)

Written By: Jessica on 07/15/04 at 11:09 pm

Same HERE! Along with most of the others :D ;)

I'll convert you yet. ;) ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/16/04 at 10:02 am

I'll convert you yet. ;) ;D
We shall see about that  :D ;)

Written By: Cheetara on 07/16/04 at 10:31 am

Ja Rule:  Ja Rule's voice alone annoys the hell out of me and I love hip hop and rap.  I'm more partial to the "old school stuff" though. 

50 Cent
:  He's not all that talented.

Nelly:  I think he is cute but he's the rapper to start a party...I wouldn't consider him to be hardcore or gansta

Lil Kim:  I just wish she stop trying to be Pam Anderson's wannabe mini me.  She can be sexy in her own way.

Eminem
:  He can rap.  I like him better than I ever liked 3rd Bass. 

Written By: Rio_Rhodes on 07/17/04 at 4:54 pm

50 cent
Kanye West
Eve

Check for new replies or respond here...