inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: British Big Brother has begun . . .

Written By: Bobby on 05/28/04 at 5:09 pm

They've pulled out the stops this year . . .  ::)

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2992313

These people are so extreme that, bizarrely enough. It promises to be interesting this year.  :)

Subject: Re: British Big Brother has begun . . .

Written By: Paul on 05/28/04 at 5:49 pm

Interesting possibly for some...I find the whole thing a big yawn...

But who am I to stand in the way of something popular? Just wish the papers wouldn't go overboard with it - after 14 pages of BB you might just see a bit of news...

Written By: Howard on 05/28/04 at 6:57 pm

How about a British American Idol or British Survivor? ;D

Howard

Written By: Bobo on 05/29/04 at 2:31 am

We were among the first countries (possibly the first?) to come up with this "Pop Idol" contest idea (we've had two series, one which was won by Will Young, and the second by Michelle McManus), and we have had Survivor competitions in the past, too. I never watched "Survivor" myself..

Myself, I was hooked on the first series of Big Brother (first series winner Craig Phillips - who was then taken to the BBC to do a house-designer-makeover show of some kind).

The £70,000 prize money was donated to a (then 16-year-old) Joanne Harris, in order to raise £200,000 for her to go have an operation in America.

Long and short of the story is that the medicalia in Britain then thought they could carry out the operation themselves (they couldn't, and decided that they should send her to America instead to have the operation), and she's now living a really enjoyable life, following the operation.

How do I know this? I live two streets away from her!

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 05/29/04 at 9:23 am

Ooh, I remember watching the second Big Brother when Rush and I were in England. I grew addicted! Unfortunately, we had to leave before the show was over, but thankfully at that time, Channel 4's website let you view the Big Brother webcams for free! So I could watch what I was missing from home! In fact, catching up on Big Brother was one of the main reasons we got DSL (high speed internet)!! ;D I now have Big Brother season two on DVD. :)

I think Channel 4 has since started to charge you to watch the webcam feed on the website. Are they still doing that?

Absolutely Vile

Written By: theRealJimA on 06/04/04 at 4:40 pm

It promises to be interesting this year
no, it's as boring as ever ::)

Written By: Bobby on 06/04/04 at 5:39 pm

no, it's as boring as ever ::)

I don't know, since I put the thread up I haven't watched it once. Oh well! Never mind.  ;D

Written By: hoogbest on 06/04/04 at 11:07 pm

I vowed that last year's American Big Brother would be my last time......but as it gets closer I am starting to shake and am having trouble eating and sleeping. Damn I had the same feeling withdrawing from Sonny and Cher. Is there any help? :o

Written By: theRealJimA on 06/29/04 at 1:35 pm

did anyone see the fight the other week? I can't believe I stayed up to watch them argue.

I've stopped watching since though, as it's still boring, and they have a new housemate or something :-\\

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/29/04 at 3:33 pm

How about a British Fear Factor---not? ::)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 06/29/04 at 4:24 pm

How about a British Fear Factor---not? ::)

Yeah.eat live fish eyes for 100 quid ;D :P

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 06/29/04 at 6:29 pm

Anybody know if British Big Brother is still on the telly?  ;D

Written By: karen on 06/30/04 at 9:25 am

Anybody know if British Big Brother is still on the telly?  ;D

I saw some of it last night (whilst waiting for Wife Swap Changed Our Marriage to start!)  Seems to be exactly the same arguement going on as the last time I watched (people who hate smoking complaining when smokers sitting next to them light up)

Written By: Powerslave on 06/30/04 at 11:03 am

I saw some of it last night (whilst waiting for Wife Swap Changed Our Marriage to start!)  Seems to be exactly the same arguement going on as the last time I watched (people who hate smoking complaining when smokers sitting next to them light up)

Are contestants on the British BB allowed to smoke? Or is that just an argument they're having? Because on the Aussie version, no one's allowed to smoke in the house.

Written By: karen on 06/30/04 at 11:14 am

Are contestants on the British BB allowed to smoke? Or is that just an argument they're having? Because on the Aussie version, no one's allowed to smoke in the house.

Yes, they are allowed to smoke.  I think they were allowed to bring in so many when they arrived and then can persuade the house mates to buy some out of the weekly money.

The first one of this series I saw had the smokers moaning because they'd run out of ciggies and wouldn't be able to get any more for X number of days.  This appeared to give them the excuse to be extremely obnoxious, rude and argumentative because "they can't help it".  Yesterday it was because one house mate had already said how much he hated passive smoking and then one of the smokers sat next to him and lit up.  "Delibrately" in his opinion.

Written By: Powerslave on 06/30/04 at 11:29 am

That's pretty sad. The latest series of BB here is sponsored by the Quit for Life Foundation, and smoking on TV is a no-no here in Australia as it is, so once they get in the house, they can't smoke until they leave.

Written By: karen on 07/01/04 at 3:47 am

I think the 'smoking culture' is changing here in the UK but we do seem to be a bit behind many other countries.

I think most of the soaps have cut down the number of characters who smoke but you do still see smoking on tv.  I was watching a programme last night where they were interviewing some author (he wrote Mauschwitz) and he smoked throughout the entire thing.

It's only fairly recently (last 5 years or so) that smoking indoors was banned where I work.  For a few years before that it was banned from public places but allowed in your own office (if you were on your own) or in special smoking rooms.  When I started work you could smoke where you liked within reason (i.e. I worked in a lab so didn't smoke there)

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/02/04 at 4:59 am

Wow Karen !

Smoking in the workplace here was banned 15 years ago.  In restaurants 7 or 8 years ago.  Shopping Malls - am trying to think back - could be the same year as restaurants but I have a feeling it was before that.

All our BB contestants are put on patches before they enter the house and they are not allowed to discuss cigarettes at all.

I am loving AuBB4 right now - building up for a bit of a romance hopefully.  And a couple from BB3 have just announcd they are getting married awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

We had Myriam (from Theres Something About .....) as a guest star in the house this year - she stayed three nights and was a total darling.  Half the house guessed she was a trannie within seconds but didnt ask her outright till night 2.  She partied with them and drank and danced and they all loved her.

EGAD I am an addict - is there a pill ?????

Written By: karen on 07/02/04 at 5:19 am

Wow Karen !

Smoking in the workplace here was banned 15 years ago.  In restaurants 7 or 8 years ago.  Shopping Malls - am trying to think back - could be the same year as restaurants but I have a feeling it was before that.

You still have to specify non-smoking tables in many restaurants here.  There is one locally I can think of which is experimenting with becoming completely non-smoking.  I think it is smoke free Sun-Thursday.

I gave up smoking many years ago and now, especially with the children, try and avoid smokey areas if possible. However there are many public places where smoking is still legal.

All our BB contestants are put on patches before they enter the house and they are not allowed to discuss cigarettes at all.

This is a good idea.  I think it is the type of thing that would give you an opportunity to get out of the usual situations where you smoke and help break the habit in that way.

I am loving AuBB4 right now - building up for a bit of a romance hopefully.  And a couple from BB3 have just announcd they are getting married awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

There's a couple getting together on the British Big Brother at the moment.  One of them is currently up for the vote though so she may be evicted.  Hope not, the other two are far more annoying!

We had Myriam (from Theres Something About .....) as a guest star in the house this year - she stayed three nights and was a total darling.  Half the house guessed she was a trannie within seconds but didnt ask her outright till night 2.  She partied with them and drank and danced and they all loved her.

Who?? 

There was a 'celebrity' something or other (house party maybe?) on a few months back with a trannie on.  I only watched at irregular intervals so it was like "is it or isn't it?" and then the next time I watched they had decided to be their male 'character' and I was still "is it or isn't it?" !!

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 07/03/04 at 4:49 am

Myriam was the star of the British reality show called There's Something About Myriam.  She is a Mexican pre op transexual - rather stunning model. 

It was filmed in Spain and featured British guys (and one Aussie) in a format similar to "The Bachelor" etc - guys competing for the heart (and ten grand) of the girl, guy gets evicted each week.  Plenty of drunken evenings, kissing, making out etc.

BUT - when it came down to the final two - she picked the winner - then announced she wasnt actually a female.  The winning guy had to decide whether he still wanted the prize !!

The guys sued and tried to have the program taken off the air - but mustnt have felt "too" hard done by about it as they accepted an out of court payout and allowed it to be televised.

It was advertised and televised just after our BB4 housemates entered the BB house this year so in a joint promo BB put Myriam into our BB house for a weekend - the week before the finale of her own show.  The idea was that the boofy blokes in the house would fall for her - not realising she wasnt a female - but it failed when the boofiest of the blokes picked up on it within seconds of Myriam walking in.  But it turned out to be great TV anyway as she brought some fun and laughter into the house simply because she is a genuinely lovely person.

Here is a piccie of her

Written By: Bobo on 08/07/04 at 2:55 am

*attempts to put on announcer voice*

Well, it all finished last night, with the winner, Nadia Almada, scooping the diminished £63,500 prize money, having previously survived four public votes. She won with 74% of the vote.

*escapes announcer mode* *enters uncommon cynical mode*

Despite having done... *counts* zero things, of worthy note, and generally sitting around being miserable most of the time. I still don't think that she should have won, and I felt it was only the public who kept her in week-by-week because they knew her whole secret thing, and the other housemates didn't.

C'est la vie!

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 08/07/04 at 3:11 am

Gee I forgot to put a post up when ours finished the other night.

Trev won, well deserved as he was such a nice genuine funny sweet guy.

And seconds after winning the million bucks he dropped toi his knees and proposed to his girlfriend.  Turned out he had been practising his proposal in the diary room for months and Mr BB kept his secret for him.

here he is

Written By: Bobo on 08/07/04 at 3:14 am

Truly sounds like the right guy won the series, BrianMannixGirl.

Now, let's take a guess on where the prize money's going..!

Written By: BrianMannixGirl on 08/07/04 at 10:15 am

He is such a laugh - he said other than an engagement ring - all he wants to buy is loads of Coco Pops !

He has mentioned them so often I bet 100 bucks he gets a Coco Pops ad soon !!

Written By: Howard on 08/07/04 at 10:19 am

He is such a laugh - he said other than an engagement ring - all he wants to buy is loads of Coco Pops !

He has mentioned them so often I bet 100 bucks he gets a Coco Pops ad soon !!

A Load Of Cocoa Puffs? Is that all he wants?  ;D

Howard

Check for new replies or respond here...