inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best car you ever owned and why.

Written By: hoogbest on 06/06/04 at 1:53 pm

White 1999 911 Carrera because it was fast as hell. ;D Then I became too ill to drive so......it was outta here about two years ago. I miss it and the life it represented! :\'(

Subject: Re: Best car you ever owned and why.

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/07/04 at 9:29 am

For my 16th b-day (1987) my parents bought me an IROC with t-tops.  I thought I was the Sh!t! ;D  Too bad I didn't have a New Jersey hairdo to go with it. :P

Written By: Kryllith on 06/07/04 at 9:53 am

The one I'm driving right now, I suppose. It's only a 97 civic standard, but I've been driving it for over a month now and I've still 1/4 to 1/3 of the gas tank full. And when I finally do have to fill it up, it should still be fairly cheap, given the size of the tank, despite current gas prices. :)

Kryllith

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/07/04 at 10:17 am

I had a '87 VW Scirocco 16V, black on black (pic below)

It had a twin cam, 4 valve per cyld motor, (most cars have this stuff now but was rare in the 80's) that reved like a blender (yes that is a good thing).

It had the best brakes on any car I'd ever driven (you'd be surprised how crazy you'll drive once you know you have REALLY good brakes  ;) ), fast (for a VW), good gas mileage, and reliable as hell. I even delivered pizza in it.

I gave it to my brother in '92, who ran it into the ground. :(
If I'm lucky enough, I'll find a decent used one again someday...

Written By: hoogbest on 06/07/04 at 10:49 am

Great stories friends..........next to a human being and an animal, a car can be the closest and best relationship one can ever have. :) Agree or not?

Written By: Cheetara on 06/07/04 at 11:15 am

Well I haven't had different cars.. so I can't make a comparison.  The car that I currently drive is a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse.

Written By: Dagwood on 06/07/04 at 6:16 pm

I am going to have to go with my current car.  A 1994 Ford Ranger.  It has over 130,000 miles on it and runs great!  Plus, it is cute.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/07/04 at 7:14 pm

I am going to have to go with my current car.  A 1994 Ford Ranger.  It has over 130,000 miles on it and runs great!  Plus, it is cute.
Just like it's Owner :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/07/04 at 7:18 pm

For gas mileage I'd have to go with my old 1987 YUGO....followed closely by my 1979 AND 1992 Honda Civics..the '79 had 123,000 miles on it when I got rid of it in 1988 and my '92 Honda had 235.000 on it when I traded it for my current ride...a 2000 Honda Passport, which is not as good on the gasoline but is probably th nicest auto I've owned. Oh, I also REALLY like my  1960 AND1968 Baja Bugs :)

Written By: Dagwood on 06/07/04 at 7:57 pm

Just like it's Owner :)

That's sweet...thanks Mark. :)

Written By: resinchaser on 06/07/04 at 10:03 pm

My 1991 Honda Civic CX. Put 275 000 Km (124 000 miles) on it and never had to do any major repairs. It took a dump though on the highway a few years ago when the timing belt gave .

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/07/04 at 10:25 pm

My 1991 Honda Civic CX. Put 275 000 Km (124 000 miles) on it and never had to do any major repairs. It took a dump though on the highway a few years ago when the timing belt gave .
Yep, you can't go wrong with a Honda, resinchaser ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/07/04 at 10:26 pm

That's sweet...thanks Mark. :)
Hey, anytime Dagny...you know me, I'm a sweet guy ;)

Written By: AL-B on 06/07/04 at 10:26 pm

My current car, a 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis, is the best car I've had so far. Unfortunately, the engine is starting to smoke... :(

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/07/04 at 10:33 pm

My current car, a 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis, is the best car I've had so far. Unfortunately, the engine is starting to smoke... :(
Unfortunately that most likely means it's too late to change the oil, AL-B :-\\

Written By: AL-B on 06/07/04 at 10:46 pm

Unfortunately that most likely means it's too late to change the oil, AL-B :-\\
Actually I've talked to several people who have similar cars (Crown Vics and Grand Marquis' with the 4.6 liter V8) and they've told me that it's most likely a bad valve guide seal, and that besides the smoke and sliightly increased oil consumption their engines haven't had any other major problems or failures and have ran just fine. (A mechanic at the cab company that I used to work at told me that he's been getting 200,000-300,000 miles out of these engines.)

Written By: Mordor on 06/08/04 at 12:07 am

'74 Honda Civic......Black on black originally blue on black painted over here(japanese wouldnt make a black car-bad luck LOL)

You could go coast to coast and still have a quarter tank left ;D
Well.......almost.
Plus it was tiny.It met its early demise at the mercy of a 17 yr old kid in a Buick.I wanted to kill him.

What I used to drive and still have is on my sig.I currently drive a '02 GMC Sierra,3.8 engine,bit too creampuffy for a truck to me but look what I'm used to LOL
The GMC isnt mine anyway.

Written By: Fred on 06/08/04 at 12:34 am

I'm going to put this as my favourite vehicle, even though it doesn't run yet.  :\'( My 1952 Mercury Panel Truck. It has a 400 cubic inch Ford V-8 in it, although it needs to be rebuilt.  :( It was recently sold, but the guy who bought it died, so we bought it back. Now I'm happy to get it back, but not under those circumstances.  :\'(

Written By: tv on 06/08/04 at 1:03 am

Lets see I owned 3 cars by the time I was 21 years old: my first one was a 1992 Ford Mustang(it was a peppy little car that can go.) It was a 4 cyl though. Then I owned a 1998 Mazda 626(I liked that car.) People call it bland looking but I liked the styling. Now I own a 2002 Acura CL. I love that car. The ladies like it, the guys like it(I get so many compliments.) Its got leather, bose sound system, Honda/Acura quality, a nice paint job(get it washed once every month), oil gets changed every 3,000 miles. I remember when I went into the dealership to first take a look at that car. They had a black one in the showroom(its was just so nice to sit in.) Then when I went outside with the salesman and then sat in another CL again and I knew I wanted a CL(That car was it for me.) The CL has about 19,400 miles on it now and it was purchased in September of 2001.

Written By: BodaciousBoy on 06/08/04 at 1:29 pm

A 1963 split window Corvette, which i have had for over 25 years now!

Written By: Fred on 06/08/04 at 6:36 pm

A 1963 split window Corvette, which i have had for over 25 years now!

I love stingrays.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/08/04 at 6:38 pm

I have my choice of two (Yes, that is right, I have only owned two cars in my lifetime) a 1985 Nissan Sentra and a 1987 Nissan Sentra. I would have to say the Sentra.  ;)  Ok, ok, the 1987 that I still have. I am the orignal owner and never had a payment. (The insurence company basically bought it for me when the '85 was killed in an accident-right after I paid it off!  :o) She has a lot of rust on her now, the windows don't exactly work the way they should and she probably can't make trips across country like she used tol.  But she still runs and can get me from here to there. And that is all that counts.

Cat

Written By: Fred on 06/08/04 at 6:48 pm

I also own a 1991 John Deere 410 D Backhoe. It's great for industrial jobs, it can get about 40 or so clicks an hour, which is amazingly uncomfortable with no suspension (other than the seat). It's street legal so I decided to list it here.  :)

Written By: AL-B on 06/08/04 at 7:02 pm

I'm going to put this as my favourite vehicle, even though it doesn't run yet.  :\'( My 1952 Mercury Panel Truck. It has a 400 cubic inch Ford V-8 in it, although it needs to be rebuilt.  :( It was recently sold, but the guy who bought it died, so we bought it back. Now I'm happy to get it back, but not under those circumstances.  :\'(
I always thought it was cool how Canada has cars and trucks that are badged slightly different from those sold in the U.S. (i.e. Mercury and Fargo trucks, Meteors, and Beaumonts, to name a few...)

Written By: MasterSplinter on 06/08/04 at 7:18 pm

I never owned a car, and I never plan to.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/03/05 at 11:39 pm

I had a red Pontiac Sunbird with white leather interior...it ran really well!

Erin :)

Check for new replies or respond here...