inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Just An Observation

Written By: Jessica on 06/07/04 at 2:44 am

Not that any of you will take this to heart and actually LISTEN, but I must say this.

I'm pretty sure you'll know what I'm going to bring up. The political "debates". Not that I minded the political discussions and debates before. They were (WERE) actually kind of interesting. They also taught me a lot, since I'm not that politically savvy. I don't know what changed that though. During these past couple of months, I've watched some great debaters fall into the trap of arguing over stupid stuff that seems to have been started for no other reason than to make the opposite sides fight. Now I know that everyone will be a bit more vocal now that election time has rolled around, but come on! This is getting out of hand. I'm not just talking about one side or the other, either. I'm talking about both sides. I love reading everyone's opinions, but I don't see much of that anymore. It's just useless arguments, and I for one am getting sick of it.

I would really love to know what happened to the people who used to post interesting political stuff on here. I just don't see it anymore. :-\\

By the way, I've also noticed that the politics get dragged into other threads that have absolutely NOTHING to do with Bush, Kerry, the government, etc. I don't know how that happens, but it does.

Subject: Re: Just An Observation

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/07/04 at 9:40 am

I noticed myself dragging politics into things were they're probably better left out.  But I haven't started the more provocative threads.  I have responded to misinformation because I don't like to see it go unchallenged. 

Written By: hoogbest on 06/07/04 at 10:56 am

Perhaps slowly the political types are banned from the sight. :o

Written By: Hairspray on 06/07/04 at 11:05 am

I concur with Jess.

Thus, from now on any and all political debates will each be thoroughly removed in their entirety at the first Forum Guidelines Violation. No more editing on those, no more removing the offending posts; the entire thread goes. Also, the repeat offenders will be permanently banned and their accounts removed also in their entirety, including but not limited to every single one of their posts.

The political threads may go on, just make absolutely sure you think about what you post, attempt to be objective and respect one another’s opinions. I cannot emphasize that enough! This will be my last warning on this matter. I'd hate to see the political discussions become permanently restricted from this forum.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/07/04 at 11:16 am

I concur with Jess.

Thus, from now on any and all political debates will each be thoroughly removed in their entirety at the first Forum Guidelines Violation. No more editing on those, no more removing the offending posts; the entire thread goes. Also, the repeat offenders will be permanently banned and their accounts removed also in their entirety, including but not limited to every single one of their posts.

The political threads may go on, just make absolutely sure you think about what you post, attempt to be objective and respect one another’s opinions. I cannot emphasize that enough! This will be my last warning on this matter. I'd hate to see the political discussions become permanently restricted from this forum.

I agree.  The "Kerry vs Bush vs whoever" threads almost always degrade into juvenile displays from both ends of the debate.  And I use the word "debate" very loosely.

A ban on such stuff here makes sense.  And there are plenty of other message boards where political types can sling mud at each other anyway.

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/07/04 at 11:43 am

I agree.  The "Kerry vs Bush vs whoever" threads almost always degrade into juvenile displays from both ends of the debate.  And I use the word "debate" very loosely.

A ban on such stuff here makes sense.  And there are plenty of other message boards where political types can sling mud at each other anyway.

I agree.   A debate is one thing, but a mud slinging match is quite another.

Written By: Rush on 06/07/04 at 12:05 pm

As I said on another thread...The political "debates" on here are just mudslinging. How about this for a novel idea....A political debate where people actually comment on whats being said instead of arguing about someones political orientation or where they are from or even trash talk about the candidates.

...Then again why not ban them altogether.  :-\\

Written By: hoogbest on 06/07/04 at 2:18 pm

Again, I believe ALL political statements should be banned thus eliminating the chance of ,by error, a debate starting that leads to an argument. I can tell you every argument into which I entered was, in my opinion, justified and required based on what was posted by the person with whom I argued. The evidence is clear....just review the posts that preceeded mine and who posted them. A full ban is the only way to eliminate such problems.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/07/04 at 2:27 pm

Again, I believe ALL political statements should be banned thus eliminating the chance of ,by error, a debate starting that leads to an argument. I can tell you every argument into which I entered was, in my opinion, justified and required based on what was posted by the person with whom I argued. The evidence is clear....just review the posts that preceeded mine and who posted them. A full ban is the only way to eliminate such problems.

calling someone a whiner is not debate, it's a personal attack.  I think you would personally do well to stay away from the political threads, since you seem to have a problem with following the guidelines.  A full ban may work, but it might not be the kind of ban you're thinking of.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/07/04 at 3:08 pm

Again, I believe ALL political statements should be banned...

While I applaud the diversity of categories and threads within each, to eliminate politics as a category would, I think, reduce the appeal of this board by a factor of 1000 to many of us.  While politics may have nothing to do with people's favorite soap opera, and while I have no problem with folks discussing that topic, politics is of vital concern to each and every one of us.  While I would certainly favor less partisan discussions, based on policy ideas and not candidates, a mixing of the 2 is, I guess, inevitable.  Nevertheless, to ban all political discussion would be the worst form of censorship.  Chucky, I'm glad you concur and thanks for all your efforts to make this forum possible, and to you Hairspray, for all your hard work.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/07/04 at 3:13 pm

While I applaud the diversity of categories and threads within each, to eliminate politics as a category would, I think, reduce the appeal of this board by a factor of 1000 to many of us.  While politics may have nothing to do with people's favorite soap opera, and while I have no problem with folks discussing that topic, politics is of vital concern to each and every one of us.  While I would certainly favor less partisan discussions, based on policy ideas and not candidates, a mixing of the 2 is, I guess, inevitable.  Nevertheless, to ban all political discussion would be the worst form of censorship.  Chucky, I'm glad you concur and thanks for all your efforts to make this forum possible, and to you Hairspray, for all your hard work.

I agree, let's not throw the baby out with the bath water, as they say.

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/07/04 at 4:22 pm

I agree, let's not throw the baby out with the bath water, as they say.

Glad to hear it.  More importantly, so does our host, ChuckyG.

Written By: SuperFreak on 06/07/04 at 4:58 pm

Beacause i thought someone on a soap opera was pretty, i ended up getting RnRfan into the middle of a big problem. I am sorry for the problems i caused the board. I made a life choice to be the person i am, true to myself, and therefore sometimes i get looked down upon, but i am truly sorry to have caused any problems for all involved. As for politics, i have no problems with peoples opinions, i just choose not to be involved in political debates. Thank you Don, for being kind about the soaps :)

Written By: Bobby on 06/07/04 at 6:24 pm

Beacause i thought someone on a soap opera was pretty, i ended up getting RnRfan into the middle of a big problem. I am sorry for the problems i caused the board. I made a life choice to be the person i am, true to myself, and therefore sometimes i get looked down upon, but i am truly sorry to have caused any problems for all involved. As for politics, i have no problems with peoples opinions, i just choose not to be involved in political debates. Thank you Don, for being kind about the soaps :)

Being true to yourself is the best thing you can do, SuperFreak.  ;)

(Could you write in a different colour to pink next time?  My eyes were straining to read what you had to say. Ta very much.  :))

Written By: Dagwood on 06/07/04 at 6:49 pm

Being true to yourself is the best thing you can do, SuperFreak.  ;)

(Could you write in a different colour to pink next time?  My eyes were straining to read what you had to say. Ta very much.  :))

Just highlight the text and you will be able to read it just fine...that's what I did. ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/07/04 at 7:04 pm

Without beginning a topic on this I'd just like to say that I was moved by the story today of German people remembering and honoring our late great President Reagan for his efforts in geting the Berlin Wall torn down thus ending communism there :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/07/04 at 7:24 pm

You SHOULD be true to yourself (as everyone should be). I judge a person by WHO they are, not WHAT they are. Unfortunately, this is not a perfect world and not everyone does that.

BTW, his name is Carlos, not Don-and he better be kind about soaps-he has been putting up with me watching them since the day I met him.  ;)

Cat

Written By: Marian on 06/07/04 at 7:28 pm

??? ???I couldn't find that thread.did it get deleted for some reason?I don't remember most of the stuff being that bad.Cheers!

Written By: Bobby on 06/07/04 at 8:07 pm

Just highlight the text and you will be able to read it just fine...that's what I did. ;)

That's a point lol.

Check for new replies or respond here...