inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Mentors" & "Role Models"... Name The Good and Bad...

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/07/04 at 7:01 pm

Hollywood people throw the word "Mentor" all the time. Some are good examples for people to admire, while others are full of....well, you know. Name any you can think of who are or are not good examples for us all.

On the good side I would start with Tom Selleck, an all around nice guy. Easily and effortlessly on the bad side I'd say rosie...since she tried to embarass Tom on her now defunct talk show because he dared to disagree with him on the issue of peoples rights to own guns.

Subject: Re: "Mentors" Name The Good and Bad...

Written By: Harmonica on 06/07/04 at 7:29 pm

Lawrence Taylor telling kids not to smoke crack.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/07/04 at 7:32 pm

Hollywood people throw the word "Mentor" all the time. Some are good examples for people to admire, while others are full of....well, you know. Name any you can think of who are or are not good examples for us all.

On the good side I would start with Tom Selleck, an all around nice guy. Easily and effortlessly on the bad side I'd say rosie...since she tried to embarass Tom on her now defunct talk show because he dared to disagree with him on the issue of peoples rights to own guns.

RnRF...

Are you mixing the terms of "mentor" and "role model"? ???

For example, while I think Rosie would be a terrible role model, she probably could be a quite good mentor for a young woman who wanted to get started in comedy.

LB

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/07/04 at 7:43 pm

RnRF...

Are you mixing the terms of "mentor" and "role model"? ???

Exactly what I was thinking.  Mentor & Role Model are two different things.

Mentor is a person (usually older) who helps guide and gives advice to another person (usually younger).  Kinda like the programs Big Brother & Big Sisters of America.

Role Model is somebody that is looked up to & copied.  Kinda like an asipiring sports star or musician.

Subject: Re: "Mentors" & "Role Models"... Name The Good and Bad...

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/08/04 at 1:57 pm

Good Role Model:  Michael Jordan

Michael acts like a gentleman and is a good sportsman.  Even when he played poorly in his baseball adventure, he held his head high and did not complain or blame.

And when he got (allegedly) into trouble with the NBA, he simply took his "medicine" like a man and did not go around blaming others for the situation.

So... while not a perfect man by any means, Michael Jordan serves as a good role model for how to conduct yourself in good times and bad.

8)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/08/04 at 7:32 pm

Thanks you guys...I changed the title so Both could be included ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/09/04 at 9:03 am

I like Gary Sinise.  I don't know for sure, but from what I have scene, he's chosen a mission to support our troops.  Unlike so many others, Sinise isn't just paying lip service to a political agenda, he really gives of himself, and doesn't get sidetracked.  He is courted by Sean Hannity, who has tried to provoke him into taking a political stance, but he hasn't.  Gary Sinise seems like a good role model for focusing on something you believe is right and not getting distracted.  An all around good guy, I would say.

Written By: dale smith on 08/17/04 at 10:45 am

i believe that it was former nba star charles barkley that said actors, athletes, and musicians are not and should not be role models,  parents should be role models

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/17/04 at 11:39 am

i believe that it was former nba star charles barkley that said actors, athletes, and musicians are not and should not be role models,  parents should be role models

But many parents are poor role models.  :-\\

Nothing wrong for an "athalete" serving as a positive role model to young kids.  8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/17/04 at 12:03 pm

Who I think is a very good role model is Jimmy Carter and it has nothing to do with his presidency. In fact, I didn't like him when he was president but as an ex-president (and a Nobel Peace Prize winner), he is not afraid to pick up a hammer and build homes for people through Habitat for Humanity. I really like to see people active in causes and I am not just talking about writing checks. Yes, writing checks is important but you need people who are in the trenches actually doing the work. That is why I admire Jimmy Carter-he is in the trenches.

Cat

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/17/04 at 12:11 pm

Who I think is a very good role model is Jimmy Carter and it has nothing to do with his presidency. In fact, I didn't like him when he was president but as an ex-president (and a Nobel Peace Prize winner), he is not afraid to pick up a hammer and build homes for people through Habitat for Humanity. I really like to see people active in causes and I am not just talking about writing checks. Yes, writing checks is important but you need people who are in the trenches actually doing the work. That is why I admire Jimmy Carter-he is in the trenches.

Cat

Good call.  Carter is a great role model.

Written By: Howard on 08/17/04 at 4:42 pm

My friend Robert who've I've known for 8 years I consider him a mentor cause he's like a guidance counselor to me, guided me and gave good advice. :)

Howard

Written By: Dagwood on 08/17/04 at 7:54 pm

Cat

I agree with you on this one.  He is a great role model. 

Written By: Joelle on 08/17/04 at 8:28 pm

And Celine Dion...you've got to admire all the time and money she's given to the Canadian Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.
As for a bad role model, Bill Clinton. Lying is NOT the best way to get yourself out of trouble!

Written By: gumbypiz on 08/17/04 at 9:55 pm

Hmm...I’ve noticed that a lot of people’s choices have been famous personalities.

Why does a role model or mentor have to be an actor/actress/musician/athlete or (god forbid) a politician?

I’m so tired of hearing garbage about how superstar athletes and movie/Hollywood stars behavior is good or bad and how their actions are looked upon as role models for kids and so forth.
In most cases these people are certainly not the brightest of the human race and that they were lucky enough to beat the odds of becoming successful or popular in Hollywood, the recording industry, or in professional sports world doesn’t impress me one bit...and it’s a disservice to ourselves and our young people to believe that we/they can be just like them or live that way. The real world just isn’t like that.
Most of the persona that we even recognize of these people is an illusion...images and charisma massaged and created by the press and their own agents/spin doctors.  Their actions are prescribed to further their public image, keep them in the limelight, & keep their pockets lined with cash.

Fact is, if we are all doing the best that we can, doing “right thing” as our parents are supposed to teach us, then the concept of a “role model” in anyone but our own community vanishes.

The mom & dad that gets up every morning to go to work, to put food on the table, pay the bills, put clothes on their kids back, and pay their kids way through school, THAT’s a role model. The teacher that is overburdened with a large class load, and underpaid, yet still feels satisfied in teaching and stimulating children to learn is a mentor or role model.

Once we get our heads focused back on the real world, and express & teach the values that our parents & history has taught us and not some overblown lifestyle of a movie star, rapper or sports star, then the obvious role model is your parents, your teacher, coach, religious leader, etc.

My role model/mentor was my visual communications instructor in art school, Mr. Mulenox. I learned more from him, and how to use the power of my own mind to overcome obstacles, than anyone.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/18/04 at 11:23 am

In terms of my mentor, I would have to say my husband-before he was my husband. As an undergraduate, I was in the Honors' program and had to write a thesis. He gave me advice on my research, writing, etc. I remember having so much problems writing the intro to my thesis. It seems like everything I wrote was basically garbage. Then one day, I basically got hit with a bolt of lightning. It just came to me. I wrote only a sentence or two but I really felt that was it. I was excited about it and called him and read those two sentences to him over the phone. He said, "Yes, that is it. Now, go with it." Giving me that encouragement and helping me every aspect of the way, I did graduate "With Honors". He was also there helping me with my master's (which I have yet to complete but maybe someday-very soon actually).

Cat

Written By: Howard on 08/19/04 at 9:54 pm

I would have to say My Mother. :)

Howard

Written By: Heavymetal on 08/20/04 at 5:09 pm

Hmm...I’ve noticed that a lot of people’s choices have been famous personalities.

Why does a role model or mentor have to be an actor/actress/musician/athlete or (god forbid) a politician?

I’m so tired of hearing garbage about how superstar athletes and movie/Hollywood stars behavior is good or bad and how their actions are looked upon as role models for kids and so forth.
In most cases these people are certainly not the brightest of the human race and that they were lucky enough to beat the odds of becoming successful or popular in Hollywood, the recording industry, or in professional sports world doesn’t impress me one bit...and it’s a disservice to ourselves and our young people to believe that we/they can be just like them or live that way. The real world just isn’t like that.
Most of the persona that we even recognize of these people is an illusion...images and charisma massaged and created by the press and their own agents/spin doctors.  Their actions are prescribed to further their public image, keep them in the limelight, & keep their pockets lined with cash.

Fact is, if we are all doing the best that we can, doing “right thing” as our parents are supposed to teach us, then the concept of a “role model” in anyone but our own community vanishes.

The mom & dad that gets up every morning to go to work, to put food on the table, pay the bills, put clothes on their kids back, and pay their kids way through school, THAT’s a role model. The teacher that is overburdened with a large class load, and underpaid, yet still feels satisfied in teaching and stimulating children to learn is a mentor or role model.

Once we get our heads focused back on the real world, and express & teach the values that our parents & history has taught us and not some overblown lifestyle of a movie star, rapper or sports star, then the obvious role model is your parents, your teacher, coach, religious leader, etc.

My role model/mentor was my visual communications instructor in art school, Mr. Mulenox. I learned more from him, and how to use the power of my own mind to overcome obstacles, than anyone.

Exactly!

Written By: FussBudgetVanPelt on 08/20/04 at 7:01 pm

Pele

Former Brazilian Footballer (from the 50's to the 70's for you youngies out there  :))

Has since become a Minister in the Brazilian Government, and worked tirelessly to improve sport and general conditions for his country.

Has been a Goodwill ambassador for the United Nations for the last few decades.

Has consistently spread the words of peace and love throughout the world.  Regularly volunteers his services for worthy causes and refuses payment.

As a player, was never sent off, and received a total of ONE booking in a career that spanned a quarter of a century.  :o

Is a perfect example that you can be talented yet still be completely modest, and just let your skill do your talking for you.  Butthead Diego Maradona (who had just as much skill, but apparently no brain to accompany it) take note  :)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 08/20/04 at 7:22 pm

But many parents are poor role models.  :-\\

Nothing wrong for an "athalete" serving as a positive role model to young kids.  8)
Indeed it WAS Charles who said that and added that parents should be role models....unfortunately many are not. Me and my ex raised our family of 5 boys across the street from an elementary school from 1988-2003.....we started off being "Nice" when kids would drift over with our kids and ask to stay for a while. some were sincere but some used us for dinner because thier "Parents" were at work until 8pm and they had no place to go.....we wised up and took control finally. There is nothing wrong with helping people but if you find thier intentions are to take advantage of your kindness, you must draw the line ;)

Written By: Apricot on 08/21/04 at 6:06 pm

Here's my role models, right here 

http://www.chartattack.com/pics/2004/08/03-modestmouse.jpg

What? These guys are my heroes. They discourage retail theft, produce a positive message in their music, and are doing their part to put a stop to music piracy. I respect them.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/21/04 at 7:29 pm

Pele

Former Brazilian Footballer (from the 50's to the 70's for you youngies out there  :))

Has since become a Minister in the Brazilian Government, and worked tirelessly to improve sport and general conditions for his country.

Has been a Goodwill ambassador for the United Nations for the last few decades.

Has consistently spread the words of peace and love throughout the world.  Regularly volunteers his services for worthy causes and refuses payment.

As a player, was never sent off, and received a total of ONE booking in a career that spanned a quarter of a century.  :o

Is a perfect example that you can be talented yet still be completely modest, and just let your skill do your talking for you.  Butthead Diego Maradona (who had just as much skill, but apparently no brain to accompany it) take note  :)

Believe it or not, I was just thinking about him the other day and wondered what happened to him. Thanks for giving me an up-date.

Cat

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 08/23/04 at 7:21 am

Lawrence Taylor telling kids not to smoke crack.

ROFLMAO!!!

;D

(there was just something about this that cracked me up, like picturing Lawrence Taylor going around doing this and only this.  "Hey kids don't smoke crack, now wheres my phillycheese sandwich?)

Written By: danootaandme on 08/24/04 at 5:07 am

I would say Mandela was the Man of the Century.
My father because he never lost his temper(well, only once or
twice, when I was in my teens, you know how that goes)
and did the right thing,
My mother, to her the world was her family.

Check for new replies or respond here...