inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone else think the first "Shrek" was better?

Written By: MasterSplinter on 06/09/04 at 10:27 am

Does anyone else here agree with me in thinking that the First "Shrek" movie was better?

Subject: Re: Anyone else think the first "Shrek" was better?

Written By: MasterSplinter on 06/09/04 at 10:27 am

Oh, I forgot, in the "Star Trek Encylopedia"
"Shrek" is the last name of an alien, I think that alien appear in an TNG episode

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 06/09/04 at 12:14 pm

I didn't care much for the 1st Shrek, so I have no interest in seeing the sequel.

Written By: Hairspray on 06/10/04 at 3:03 pm

I don't see what the big deal is with Shrek; the first and/or second one. I didn't particularly like the first one or the way they massacred the tune "I'm A Believer", originally done by the Monkees. Just my opinion, but I find Shrek to be highly overrated.

Written By: Armstrong on 06/10/04 at 4:08 pm

yes. the first one was much better.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/10/04 at 5:53 pm

I liked them both :D  Puss in Boots, HA!

Written By: womberty on 06/14/04 at 5:06 pm

Shrek and Shrek 2 are both better than the average animated films. The writing appeals to kids and adults, and the animation techniques are amazing. The Shrek movies and Finding Nemo are a few that combined excellent animation with a storyline that was family-friendly without being too childish. Other animated films don't show the same quality of writing (Ice Age for example), or cater mainly to kids.

As for comparing the two - I haven't seen the first Shrek movie in a while, so it's hard to say. I think some of the gags in the first one were a lot funnier (I'm thinking of the snake & frog balloons), but there are still some really great scenes in Shrek 2 as well (especially Puss in Boots!).

Both movies could have done without the ending musical numbers, though. :P

Written By: Just visiting for now.. on 06/14/04 at 5:29 pm

I thought the first one was funnier.  I did LIKE the second one (loved Puss In Boots!), but felt that they'd opened "new doors" with the first one--I really liked the gags on exisiting fairy tales--and they didn't do that as much in the second one.  Sure,they introduced the Fairy Godmother, and "Prince Charming" (voiced by Rupert Everett, of all people! LOL!), and they did have that quick gag on Sleeping Beauty--but overall, I preferred the first one.  Though I'd be happy to let my kids watch either one now.  The second one was probably more "suitable" for kids anyway.

I do agree with womberty, though--"Shrek and Shrek 2 are both better than the average animated films."
But, I also agree with Hairspray on part of one of her points--"I didn't particularly like the .. way they massacred the tune "I'm A Believer", originally done by the Monkees."  Point taken.  I've been a mad Monkees fan since I was six.  I don't like seeing/hearing the "good stuff" be messed with! :\'(

All in all, in my humble opinion, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban  was better than both of them anyway!  ;)

Written By: womberty on 06/14/04 at 5:32 pm

Good point - the first one had more fairy tale gags, and the second had more pop culture gags. I think the first took more thought and wit, and that probably makes it funnier. It's a bit too easy to make fun of pop culture. :P

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/14/04 at 7:43 pm

I loved 'em both myself... The second one clearly is geared for adults though, there were plenty of references that I caught that kids would never catch.  Heck, there were pop culture references that I was surprised I could get.  I think kids would be a bit bored by the second one, there's less phyiscal humour to it.

I'm with Hairspray on the covers though, they butchered some classic 80s stuff in the second one. "Ever Fallen in Love" was particullary appalling.  Either the original by the Buzzcocks or the FYC cover would have been far better versions, Peter Yorn? Peter Yawn is a better description.

and the new Harry Potter flick kicked serious butt.  I saw it on an Imax screen, which was very intense, I might have to go see it a second time a month or two later if it's still showing on an Imax film just to enjoy it again.

Written By: Just visiting for now. on 06/14/04 at 7:53 pm

and the new Harry Potter flick kicked serious butt.  I saw it on an Imax screen, which was very intense, I might have to go see it a second time a month or two later if it's still showing on an Imax film just to enjoy it again.

Yay! Someone agrees with me!  ;D 
I've enjoyed all of those..but I've already read all the books, so it's no surprise that I'd enjoy the movies.  My 10 year old notices more "little differences" between the movies and books that I do, but he's read them more recently than I have!

I bet it was cool on an IMAX screen.  We just saw it here in our regular old theater Thursday night.  Sold out show, even for a midnight showing!  :)  I'd enjoy seeing it on an IMAX..but, our closest IMAX is like 2 hours away, so.... :-[

Written By: FanOfTheMonkees on 06/16/04 at 9:47 am

I don't care for shrek. Let alone the song I'm a Believer sung by The Monkees and written by Neil Diamond. Smashmouth should not have done that song. I hate their version of it. Every time I hear it on the radio, I change the station or I turn the radio off and put in a Monkees cd and listen to I'm a Believer by them.

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 06/16/04 at 2:34 pm

I don't care for shrek. Let alone the song I'm a Believer sung by The Monkees and written by Neil Diamond. Smashmouth should not have done that song. I hate their version of it. Every time I hear it on the radio, I change the station or I turn the radio off and put in a Monkees cd and listen to I'm a Believer by them.

See, I just try to avoid modern music stations altogether..   :-[

Written By: 80sfan on 05/28/09 at 3:54 am

I love the first 2 Shreks, but the third one was just horrible.  8-P

Written By: Starde on 05/31/09 at 8:25 pm

^^^Agreed. I don't know what the hell the third one was 8-P

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/31/09 at 8:46 pm

Wow, somebody resurrected one of Master Splinter's (a.k.a. Andrew the Talking Walnut) posts from 2004.

I wonder how Andrew is doing these days? ???  I miss him.   :-\\

Check for new replies or respond here...