inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is your personal favorite news station and why?

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/10/04 at 1:48 am

Lets see which one wins, all I ask if that everyone be honest and tell us WHY you prefer a certain news station and why you hate another (if you do.)

Subject: Re: What is your personal favorite news station and why?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/10/04 at 3:07 am

You didn't leave an "other."
I watch/listen to
DEMOCRACY NOW!
With
Amy Goodman
That's the one that I respect the most politically.  For other news, I listen to NPR, BBC, and read periodicals.  For infotainment I watch FOX, and MSNBC, rarely CNN. 

Written By: philbo on 06/10/04 at 3:42 am

BBC News (I'm tempted to add an "of course")

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/10/04 at 6:45 am

Fox News and C-Span mostly, also some newspaper and radio.  What does BBC stand for by the way?

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/10/04 at 7:04 am

I watch the local Washington, D.C. & Baltimore news stations.  Sometimes I will watch Headline News if I'm in a hurry

Written By: Dagwood on 06/10/04 at 7:20 am

I don't watch news channels at all...they bore me.  I watch the local news on the local Fox affiliate (because it is on earlier) and I read the local paper.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/10/04 at 12:34 pm

Fox News and C-Span mostly, also some newspaper and radio.  What does BBC stand for by the way?

Oh yeah C-SPAN, I love C-SPAN!  BBC stands for the British Broadcasting Corporation.  It was established in 1922, I think, and is still the most respected broadcasting company in the world, in spite of what Bill O'Reilly says!

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/10/04 at 1:20 pm

I watch the local news stations and read the newspaper.  I find the national ones to be biased one way or another.  I don't need anyone to tell me what my opinion should be.

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/10/04 at 1:32 pm

Local channels, because it's more likely that local events will affect me more than the national news.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/10/04 at 2:14 pm

I didn't know how to vote because there are several sources. The first (and how I start my day) is our daily local newspaper. Then I go to Yahoo which I have my "My Yahoo" page set up for headlines from several different sources: Rueters, Washington Post, AP, NPR, and a few others.  Sometimes I will watch CNN or C-Span. I used to watch the local news (and it IS local-they don't have world news unless if it effects something local-they leave the world stuff for the network) but don't anymore.

Cat

Written By: 80sRocked on 06/10/04 at 2:20 pm

Local TV news, local radio news.

Sometimes when there is a national event happening I will switch back and forth between the cable news stations(FOX, CNN, etc).  I do like C-Span, although I wouldn't consider that a news station, more of a public events station.

I have a big problem with NPR.  They always sound like they are eating the microphone when they speak.  It is so annoying to listen to them in that respect.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/10/04 at 2:22 pm

I do like C-Span, although I wouldn't consider that a news station, more of a public events station.

Hey, we actually agree on something.  ;)

Cat

Written By: Don Carlos on 06/10/04 at 2:47 pm

I get the news from a variety of sources.  The local paper with morning coffee, the New York Times at work, CNN, C-span etc during the day (especially when Cat is on the computer - her Yahoo is set up to get several sources, like Reuters etc and she calls me to see interesting stuff), and sometimes I catch CBS local and national news in the evening.  You might say I'm a news junkie, but I would love to get Radio Pacifica.  When I lived in waaaaay upstate New York I use to watch The National and the Journal on Canadian TV.  They had a real fiesty woman reporter who once called Brian Mulroony a liar to his face, something like "you'er lying Mr Mulroony, and you know it".  Now THATS how reporters should handle public officials!!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/10/04 at 3:55 pm

Local TV news, local radio news.

Sometimes when there is a national event happening I will switch back and forth between the cable news stations(FOX, CNN, etc).  I do like C-Span, although I wouldn't consider that a news station, more of a public events station.

I have a big problem with NPR.  They always sound like they are eating the microphone when they speak.  It is so annoying to listen to them in that respect.

I'm not sure what you mean by "eating the microphone," but some of them sound very stuffy.  Their is a common misconception that NPR has a liberal bias.  They tend to be socially liberal, however, that means little to me.  The position on economics is where it counts.  I think NPR's economic views are very corporate-oriented.

Written By: 80sRocked on 06/10/04 at 4:24 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by "eating the microphone," but some of them sound very stuffy. 

By that I meant that it sounds like the microphone is 3 millimeters from their mouth, and on occasion finds its way into their mouth.  I just hate how it sounds.  Not to mention the fact that they seem to have zero affliction or emotion in their voice.  I think they all must drink a few bottles of Ny-Quil before going on-air becasue they seem lik they are all about to fall asleep over there.

I guess all in all, to me, NPR is stuffy and boring(and hard to listen to).

Written By: Fred on 06/10/04 at 7:06 pm

When I lived in waaaaay upstate New York I use to watch The National and the Journal on Canadian TV.  They had a real fiesty woman reporter who once called Brian Mulroony a liar to his face, something like "you'er lying Mr Mulroony, and you know it".  Now THATS how reporters should handle public officials!!!

I watch The National, I also watch BBC, and some American ones like NBC and such.

Written By: AL-B on 06/10/04 at 7:52 pm

The Onion.

Written By: CBH1989er on 07/13/04 at 1:55 am

I like Fox News and the local station WFLD Fox Chicago  ;)  8)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/13/04 at 1:52 pm

There is no reason to watch TV news because everything is biased and sensationalized.  I go on the internet to see what the AP has reported, then I do searches to figure out the different angles and make my own opinions.  No talking box is going to force me to think their way :P

Written By: Guest on 07/13/04 at 2:30 pm

There is no reason to watch TV news because everything is biased and sensationalized.  I go on the internet to see what the AP has reported, then I do searches to figure out the different angles and make my own opinions.  No talking box is going to force me to think their way :P

What's the difference between news channels on a "talking box" and a news sources on a computer screen? ::)  Not much when you think about it. ;)

Written By: Jessica on 07/13/04 at 4:51 pm

The Onion.

Ditto. ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/13/04 at 10:35 pm

Well...KUSA in Denver is my favorite channel for weather....Kathy Sabine was featured with other weather ladies in Sports Illustrated's Swimsuit issue a few years ago  :)

http://9news.com/weather/images/talent/kathy.jpg

Written By: Rice in limbo on 07/14/04 at 2:31 pm

What's the difference between news channels on a "talking box" and a news sources on a computer screen? ::)  Not much when you think about it. ;)

There is a difference.  Net news sources come almost exclusively from the Associated Press and are about as "neutral" as they can get.  TV news sources have a bias depending on the ideology of the station owner and the geographical location of the affiliate.  At least with the AP I know what to expect and then I can go off and find out what the biases are.

Check for new replies or respond here...