inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did a video ever change your opinion of a song?

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/11/04 at 12:25 pm

Was there ever a song you did or didn't like, and seeing the video made you change your mind about the song?

Videos in the early 80s were alot of times the literal interpretation of the song, but evolved over time, sometimes interpreted differently by the artist in the video than what you thought the song was about just from hearing it. 

Anyone have this happen?

Subject: Re: Did a video ever change your opinion of a song?

Written By: Mushroom on 06/11/04 at 2:15 pm

Yea, I can think of one fairly recently.

I used to love "Ben" by Michael Jackson.  But now, I can't listen to it without getting the creeps.

As a side note, check out the movie "Willard" if you have not done so yet.  Crispin Glover does a wonderful cover of the song, and it plays during the movie.  Is a great laugh.

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/11/04 at 3:17 pm

hmmm...the only one I can think of off the top of my head would be, Dirty Vegas', "Days Go By".  I HATED that song, until I saw the video.  Unfortunatley it was so overplayed, I can't even bear to listen to it anymore. :P

Written By: woops on 06/11/04 at 5:43 pm

Songs  I  liked until I saw the video: 

"Complicated", a catchy song from a then new artist named Avril Lavinge who I now don't care for.

At first, I thought Avril Lavinge was a "serious" artist until I saw her debut video where she was fooling around a mall like if she were Tiffany's neice. Ironically, the song "Complicated" was about being yourself.  :P

From artists I like:

"Sour Girl" Stone Temple Pilots
I can't listen to that song without thinking of those  creepy Teletubbies!

"Bat Dance" Prince
It was an OK song until I saw the video.  :P

"Criminal" Fiona Apple

Songs I dislike until I saw the video:

"Freak On A Leash" Korn

"All The Small Things" Blink 182 
I'm not a fan of "pop punk", but the video made me laugh.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/28/09 at 3:52 am

No, not really, I'm too objective to be honest and not a lot can change my mind.

The only thing that can change my mind about a song is that it's overplayed or that I didn't like it in the first place.

But if you can sit down and give me a good reason to like the song then I might like it. I'm pretty flexible.  :)

Written By: Samwise on 05/28/09 at 7:23 am

I don't think I'd like "Here It Goes Again" by OK Go or "Pork & Beans" by Weezer nearly as much as I do if not for the videos. It's not that I disliked the songs before I saw the videos - I just thought they were okay. But after I saw the videos, I grew to like the songs a lot more.

Written By: woops on 05/29/09 at 11:47 am

There's many good music videos with mediocre, bad, or average songs...

Many new wave/alternative videos tend to be too artsy for my taste, though I'm better off listening to the music rather than watching the videos...

When I bought a Taylor Dayne video tape some years ago, I've actually developed a crush... 

Written By: Criz on 05/30/09 at 2:21 pm

I don't think I'd like "Here It Goes Again" by OK Go or "Pork & Beans" by Weezer nearly as much as I do if not for the videos. It's not that I disliked the songs before I saw the videos - I just thought they were okay. But after I saw the videos, I grew to like the songs a lot more.

The 'Pork and Beans' video is really good - I think I'm in a similar boat also. I liked the song before, but I really grew to love it after seeing the vid.

I definitely think if you like the concept of a video then it can help you like the song more.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/30/09 at 4:42 pm

"Poker Face" by Lady Gaga.

Made me like her and the song even more.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/31/09 at 8:56 pm

One video I remember that didn't go well with the song is "I Only Wanna Be With You" by Hootie & the Blowfish. The video was made to look like ESPN football coverage.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/01/09 at 1:34 am

Of the pop videos of the 2000's I barely watch them now, come to think of it, I barely listen to the pop music of the 2000's.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/01/09 at 2:04 pm

Whoa, I just realized how old this thread is – good topic though. Sometimes it has with me actually. Or even if I don’t like a song, there’s times I’ll like the video.

The old music videos (before say 1993), with concepts, cheesy effects and storylines…those had a way of really getting you into a song. If you already liked it, it had a way of drawing you in even more. I’ve heard that’s how a lot of the new wave bands caught on initially, was through videos as much as the music.

Check for new replies or respond here...