inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Trading Spaces/While You Were Out, etc

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/11/04 at 7:02 pm

Lately, I have been finding myself watching Trading Spaces, While You Were Out, Clean Sweep, etc. While I think it is kind of cool that they can really transform these rooms within two days and on just a low budget, I can't help  become angry because these people do not have a say in what is done to their place. I guess it is because I am so paticular about my own taste and I enjoy shopping for stuff that I like.

Anyone else watch these shows? And if so, what do you think about them.

Cat

Subject: Re: Trading Spaces/While You Were Out, etc

Written By: Dagwood on 06/11/04 at 7:14 pm

I love these shows.  I would love to have Trading Spaces come to my house but my friend that wants it too lives too far away.  I am trying to figure out how to get my 6 year old to put me in for While You Were Out. ;)

I love Clean Sweep but, if my house looked like that, I would be embarassed to have tv cameras in there.

Written By: Bobby on 06/11/04 at 7:14 pm

Me personally, Cat, I think there are too many of those type of shows. In Britain they appear during the day and peak time viewing. Examples included 'Garden Force' (crew sort your garden out), 'Changing Rooms' (crew sort your house out) and 'Bargain Hunt' (crew sort your antiques out). The latter was different due to the bubbly display shown by David Dickinson. However, he became too famous, moved to peak time and was then substituted for an idiot.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/11/04 at 8:05 pm

Thanks, but no thanks.  Not my thing at all.

Written By: resinchaser on 06/11/04 at 8:31 pm

Why are they on "The Learning Channel"? What exactly are they teaching us on a show like "While You Were Out" or "Overhaulin"?

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/11/04 at 8:44 pm

I love ALL of thee shows!  I have learned so many decorating & organizing techniques. :) 

Written By: Vapor Trails on 06/11/04 at 8:47 pm

Cat,

I was addicted to Trading Spaces the first couple of years it was on. They introduced new designers in ( i think) season 3 that didn't have the flair and appeal like the ones before and I lost interest afterwards.

Written By: oddxsocks on 06/11/04 at 10:12 pm

i used to really like "trading spaces" and watch it almost religiously, but then they started switching around the carpenters, my favorite designers were never on, etc, so now i don't watch it that much anymore.

that's the only redecorating show i watch, unless you count "queer eye" as one.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/11/04 at 10:20 pm

Most of the houses that get remodeled on those shows are dumps anyway.

I mean, you could throw a grenade in some of those houses and they would STILL look better !  :P

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/11/04 at 10:45 pm

I mean, you could throw a grenade in some of those houses and they would STILL look better !  :P

Man, you said it. Most of the houses are in need of a wrecking ball remodeling.

I do admit, if theres nothing else interesting, I'll watch them.
Though I'm really curious to see the outtakes and the REAL reactions of the couples as they return to their "new house".
Sometimes you can just see a bit of dissapointment (or is that rage) building in the faces of the homeowners...sick as I am, I'm waiting for a fistfight to breakout.
Maybe they can combine Trading Spaces with the WWF or how about a While You Were Out of Mike Tysons home? Just how do you think Mr. Anti-social would react to poka dots on his bedroom walls?

Written By: NbC on 06/12/04 at 1:38 am

I used to watch these shows quite often but I rarely do these days.  There are just so many of them out there, it gets really old.  I still watch Extreme Makeover: Home edition.  How lucky those people are since they really go all out. 

Written By: gemini61 on 06/12/04 at 8:11 am

I loved Trading Spaces when it first came out, but like the others said, they started getting new designers and it just wasn't the same. Once in awhile I'll watch the Extreme Makeover Home Edition, but thats about it. My 15 yr. old daughter and her friend went to se Ty Pennington at a book signing at a local bookstore and got their picture taken with him. She flipped out!! It was hilarious! She thinks he's "such a hottie"! (those are her words!) lol ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/12/04 at 11:03 am

How could they remodel a house in a week and have the Family come home after the vacation?
That's ridiculous. ::)

Howard

Written By: oddxsocks on 06/12/04 at 3:50 pm

My 15 yr. old daughter and her friend went to se Ty Pennington at a book signing at a local bookstore and got their picture taken with him. She flipped out!! It was hilarious! She thinks he's "such a hottie"! (those are her words!) lol ;D

well, she does have a point...lol. :D

Written By: Bobby on 06/12/04 at 3:56 pm

Lol.

Written By: Howard on 06/13/04 at 12:00 pm

Ok,Let's just say I want my house to be redone. We've been living in our house for about 33 years or so since 1970,Do you think they could fix it up in one week before Our Family moves to Boca Raton Fla in couple of years or so?

Howard

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/13/04 at 3:47 pm

Ok,Let's just say I want my house to be redone. We've been living in our house for about 33 years or so since 1970,Do you think they could fix it up in one week before Our Family moves to Boca Raton Fla in couple of years or so?

Howard

Instead, why not have them fix up the NEW place in Boca, right before y'all get down there?

8)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/14/04 at 11:32 am

There is another show that I have only seen a couple of times on the Home channel (or something like that) where they fix the house up to sell. My question is, why would you want to put all that work into it when you are going to sell it anyway? Also when you move to your new home, you are going to have to do some work on that one too. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Any comments?

Cat

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/14/04 at 12:57 pm

There is another show that I have only seen a couple of times on the Home channel (or something like that) where they fix the house up to sell. My question is, why would you want to put all that work into it when you are going to sell it anyway? Also when you move to your new home, you are going to have to do some work on that one too. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Any comments?

Cat

Alot of times people do this so that they can add big bucks onto the selling price of their house.  Figuring they can get the repair work done and ask alot more money in the selling price, therefore re-couping the money (and then some) that it cost to do the fixing up.

Written By: Howard on 06/14/04 at 8:16 pm

Instead, why not have them fix up the NEW place in Boca, right before y'all get down there?

Well,were not moving for another couple of years now so we don't have to worry about it yet!
And we are selling the house. probabaly gonna give the house to some Chinese couple or whoever.
They always have the money!  :P

Howard

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/15/04 at 12:15 pm

Actually, they only put about $1000-2000 into it.  There are actually 2:  "Designed to Sell" on HGTV & "Sell This House" on A&E.  On the A&E one, the houses have usually been on the market for months so they've gotta do something.  Haven't really paid much attention to the HGTV one, but I would imagine it's the same premise.

I guess it is because I am lazy that I can't understand why put the time into redoing something when you are only going to sell it anyway. But that is me. I do understand that doing some up-dates can help a house sell faster. I have only seen "Designed to Sell" twice and both times after they did the work, they got their asking price or higher on the house.

A couple of months ago, we were thinking about buying another house. We saw one that we liked but it needed work-I'm talking structual-not cosmedic. We were told that the owner was VERY eager to sell since the house had been on the market since last Oct. We figured out how much it would cost us to do the repairs and made a bid minus the cost. We were told that someone else had also made a bit at the same time. Well, our bid was not excepted and we figured the other people made a higher bid and got the house. The house is STILL on the market because (I have heard since) that the owner doesn't want to go down from the asking price. I am curious on how long it will be on the market like that.

(Sorry to get off the topic a bit)

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/15/04 at 1:15 pm

A friend of mine was in a similar situation.  He made the same type of offer, which was refused.  So, he made a full price offer with the contingency that the house be inspected, all repairs made at the owner's cost by a licensed contractor(s), then the house be reinspected to verify the repairs had been done correctly.  The owner agreed, then complained at the closing that he had actually lost money on the house as the repairs cost more than what my friend had subtracted from the asking price originally.  ;D

I guess some people don't see a good offer when it is staring them in the face. Well, we have decided NOT to buy a new house. We are going to turn our two-family house into a one-family house (part of the reason why I have been watching these shows-to get ideas). With everything that we are going to do to this place, it will still be cheaper than buying a new one. People keep telling us "That will be a lot of room" and we respond, "Yeah, your point?"  ;D  There is really only one room upstairs that we haven't figured out what to do with yet-the kitchen. We really don't need a second kitchen. We are excited about this but it probably won't happen for a while (we still have tenants upstairs).

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/03/05 at 11:43 pm

Lately I have been obsessed with the decorating shows featured on HGTV. I have gotten so many great ideas on ways to decorate my new house.  I have always had a creative side when it came to decorating, etc...now I get to play around with it!

Erin :)

Written By: snozberries on 01/05/08 at 2:05 pm

Sorry to bring such an old topic to the front but it's Cat's fault  ::)

I love these shows... but my favorites are the organizing shows like Neat and Clean Sweep.

I hate the way some of the decorators "design" the home though... on trading spaces the wine labels stuck to the wall and the family didn't drink.. I think they were mormon or something so they actually found it offensive.  ;D

Who remembers the moss glued to the walls and the faux flowers all over the bathroom?

That be-yatch who threw a fit because they put a false front over her fireplace... that was over the top... I mean nothing was damaged. 

Remember the one where the walls that were painted pepto bismol pink and then Genevieve glued hay to the walls???? One of the women who owned that house used to work where I work now. I didn't know her, she left before I started but she came back to visit and told everyone that they spent hours taking the hay off the walls... apparently one of the kids who lived in the house was asthmatic D'oh!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/05/08 at 2:32 pm

Sorry to bring such an old topic to the front but it's Cat's fault  ::)

I love these shows... but my favorites are the organizing shows like Neat and Clean Sweep.

I hate the way some of the decorators "design" the home though... on trading spaces the wine labels stuck to the wall and the family didn't drink.. I think they were mormon or something so they actually found it offensive.  ;D

Who remembers the moss glued to the walls and the faux flowers all over the bathroom?

That be-yatch who threw a fit because they put a false front over her fireplace... that was over the top... I mean nothing was damaged. 

Remember the one where the walls that were painted pepto bismol pink and then Genevieve glued hay to the walls???? One of the women who owned that house used to work where I work now. I didn't know her, she left before I started but she came back to visit and told everyone that they spent hours taking the hay off the walls... apparently one of the kids who lived in the house was asthmatic D'oh!!!

Oh sure, blame it on me.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Actually, I don't watch those shows anymore. I do catch a few on HDTV. But what I don't get is why someone would want to put $$$ into a house they are going to sell.  ???

I do watch them to get ideas. If you read the latest in "What are you going to do..." thread, we are about to have our bathroom floor redone-FINALLY!!!

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 01/05/08 at 2:38 pm

I'm with you... I don't like remodeling when I have too why would I do it just for someone else  to enjoy or what if their taste is different then you did all that work just to have them go back and do something different.

For me its all the organizing shows... I could be on an episode of clean sweep  :-that bad!"  ;D

Written By: nally on 01/05/08 at 2:41 pm

I watch How Clean is Your House cuz it makes me feel better about everything... I always think... "Well at least I'm not that bad!"  ;D

I watched that show when it aired on Lifetime in late 2005/early 2006...people on that show usually let the clutter pile up endlessly, with dust everywhere. :P It's amazing how the two British hosts (and their crew) are able to help the people clean up their homes so nicely!

Written By: snozberries on 01/05/08 at 2:43 pm

I watched that show when it aired on Lifetime in late 2005/early 2006...people on that show usually let the clutter pile up endlessly, with dust everywhere. :P It's amazing how the two British hosts (and their crew) are able to help the people clean up their homes so nicely!

yeah I've been watching the original british eps on BBCA and the Londoners are just as bad....  who would've thought?  :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/05/08 at 2:55 pm

I'm with you... I don't like remodeling when I have too why would I do it just for someone else  to enjoy or what if their taste is different then you did all that work just to have them go back and do something different.

For me its all the organizing shows... I could be on an episode of clean sweep  :-that bad!"  ;D

I could probably give you a run for your money in the packrat department. I have every single letter and card that I have received since I was about 15 or so (can't remember when I started saving them). I too have moved around a lot so I understand that bit. It DRIVES Carlos CRAZY!!! But, I am not organized at all. I am Oscar Madison to his Felix Unger. But, my New Year's resolution is to get a bit more organized and to get this place looking half way decent.

Cat 

Written By: snozberries on 01/05/08 at 3:00 pm

I could probably give you a run for your money in the packrat department. I have every single letter and card that I have received since I was about 15 or so (can't remember when I started saving them). I too have moved around a lot so I understand that bit. It DRIVES Carlos CRAZY!!! But, I am not organized at all. I am Oscar Madison to his Felix Unger. But, my New Year's resolution is to get a bit more organized and to get this place looking half way decent.

Cat 

I always buy the stuff to get organized then end up shuffling it around the apartment because I never follow through...
the closest I came was when Carly first lost her sight. I totally cleaned everything but my desk... oh and a lot of stuff got piled on to the couch but everything else was clean... now that she has figured out how to maneuver around the apartment... I keep a clear path for her from the front door to the bedroom but I have stacks of stuff piling up again but none of that is in her way.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/05/08 at 3:22 pm

I always buy the stuff to get organized then end up shuffling it around the apartment because I never follow through...
the closest I came was when Carly first lost her sight. I totally cleaned everything but my desk... oh and a lot of stuff got piled on to the couch but everything else was clean... now that she has figured out how to maneuver around the apartment... I keep a clear path for her from the front door to the bedroom but I have stacks of stuff piling up again but none of that is in her way.

At least Carly doesn't say anything about it.  :D ;D ;D I have to hear it from Carlos every now & again when it starts to really GET on his nerves. I have to admit, at least he doesn't bitch about it EVERY DAY!

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 01/06/08 at 1:32 am

I'm such a sucker for these kinds of shows...I can literally spend all day sitting there watching HGTV. LOL! ;D

Written By: whistledog on 01/06/08 at 1:35 am

Kirsten Kemp, the host of TLC's Property Ladder had a recurring role on 'Saved By the Bell' as Rhonda, that butch girl who liked Zack.

That one SBTB episode where she bought all those bracelets so she could dance with Zack.  Then she's like "Wanna come over tonight?  Mom is visiting dad in the slammer, so we'll have the house all to ourselves" ;D

Written By: snozberries on 01/06/08 at 1:37 am

^ not familiar with her...

I am looking forward to this year Design Star's winner and the premire of her show (whatever it might be) I really liked her (Kim was her name I think) she was a natural.

Written By: Davester on 01/06/08 at 1:59 pm

I don't care for these shows...

TV Land has been showing Extreme Makeover!  What's up with that?  They need to cancel it and bring on the old TV shows dagnabbit..!

Written By: whistledog on 01/07/08 at 12:25 am

I don't care for these shows...

TV Land has been showing Extreme Makeover!  What's up with that?  They need to cancel it and bring on the old TV shows dagnabbit..!

Extreme Makeover on TV Land?

WTF ?!?!

Written By: Davester on 01/07/08 at 12:29 am

Extreme Makeover on TV Land?

WTF ?!?!

Yep, you heard it right, Dog.  Extreme freakin' makeover on my beloved TV Land, granted it's only on Saturday mornings, but heck, they could've used the slot for...for...well, something retro...

Alright to cry, indeed...

Written By: Gis on 01/07/08 at 1:19 am

Oh sure, blame it on me.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Actually, I don't watch those shows anymore. I do catch a few on HDTV. But what I don't get is why someone would want to put $$$ into a house they are going to sell.  ???

Cat
Usually they spend the money on the house so it will actually sell.If your house has been on the market for a year and noone has bought it then maybe it's in need of a makeover to make it buyer friendly!

Written By: karen on 01/07/08 at 8:11 am

Usually they spend the money on the house so it will actually sell.If your house has been on the market for a year and noone has bought it then maybe it's in need of a makeover to make it buyer friendly!

It can increase the value of your house dramatically.  We bought a house and did a bit of work in it over the three years we were in the house.  The house market had been increasing slowly but within the three years our house had nearly doubled in value.  We fitted a new bathroom and cloakroom (half bathroom in US speak), a new kitchen, replaced all the internal doors and decorated two out of the four bedrooms.

We bought the house knowing it needed this work doing.  It was a choice between this house or a smaller house which needed no work doing.  Several people said we should have taken the smaller house!  When we sold it to move into the house we currently own in the UK we did the same thing - bought a bit of a wreck and did it up.  We just finished the work this year, now the tenants are getting the benefit!

Written By: KKay on 01/07/08 at 8:19 am

I used to be consumed by these shows.  I was doing lots of work on my house and i was using their tips..and wanting badly to be a host.
I find them useful and fun.

Check for new replies or respond here...