inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Georgia and South Carolina's special license plates.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/11/04 at 9:42 pm

Has anyone else heard of this.  Both my state (Georgia) and South Carolina have new special plates that the democrats don't like.  They are plates with 2 kids on them and at the top they say ''Choose life.''  Their are no pro-choice plates, should this be allowed?  I say yes. the people here in Georgia love them and I see them all the time, we are red states so its only fair we have republican values, if New York or Massachusetts wants pro-choice plates, fine thats them.

Subject: Re: Georgia and South Carolina's special license plates.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/11/04 at 10:49 pm

Has anyone else heard of this.  Both my state (Georgia) and South Carolina have new special plates that the democrats don't like.  They are plates with 2 kids on them and at the top they say ''Choose life.''  Their are no pro-choice plates, should this be allowed?  I say yes. the people here in Georgia love them and I see them all the time, we are red states so its only fair we have republican values, if New York or Massachusetts wants pro-choice plates, fine thats them.

I've heard about these plates.  Did a pro-life group petition the states?  Did the legislatures vote on them?  I have no objection so long as these states allow other political interests (not necessarily abortion issue interests) to get custom plates with political slogans on them.  For example, if environmentalists want a "recycle" plate they can have RECYCLE GEORGIA with the recycling symbol, or if gay marriage supporters want something like MARRIAGE UNIVERSAL with the gay/lesbian rainbow symbol, they can get those, or if the pro-gun lobby wants a special plate, they should have theirs.  If the state stamps pro-life plates but allows no others, they're showing favortism at taxpayer expense.  That wouldn't be right.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/11/04 at 10:53 pm

I've heard about these plates.  Did a pro-life group petition the states?  Did the legislatures vote on them?  I have no objection so long as these states allow other political interests (not necessarily abortion issue interests) to get custom plates with political slogans on them.  For example, if environmentalists want a "recycle" plate they can have RECYCLE GEORGIA with the recycling symbol, or if gay marriage supporters want something like MARRIAGE UNIVERSAL with the gay/lesbian rainbow symbol, they can get those, or if the pro-gun lobby wants a special plate, they should have theirs.  If the state stamps pro-life plates but allows no others, they're showing favortism at taxpayer expense.  That wouldn't be right.

I don't know, all I know is they are state approved. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/12/04 at 8:38 am

Being a strong "States Rights" advocate, I recommend that the Legislatures of the affected states are charged with establishing their states' laws with regard to motor vehicle licensing.  There is nothing in the U.S. Constitution that says that individual states have to AGREE with federal laws.  They just have to ABIDE BY them.

Now if the pro-abortion or anti-abortion plates were THE ONLY PLATES AVAILABLE (ie there were no plain old license plates) then we would have a 1st Amendment problem here.  But since the plates are OPTIONAL and PAID FOR BY THE LICENSEE, we do not have an issue of state-sponsored speech.

Personally I think the whole VANITY PLATE thing has gotten way out of hand.  Many policemen and policewomen have complained that it is MUCH HARDER to determine what state a car is from anymore because of the plethora of color schemes and so on.  Makes it harder to identify perps.  :-\\

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/12/04 at 7:53 pm

My state, Georgia has a pro-life tag.  We don't have a pro-choice tag, which makes sense, since not enough people here in Georgia would buy a pro-death tag.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/12/04 at 10:52 pm

The real reason "Choose Life" is on those plates is not ethics or piety.  GWBush gets to their purpose when he invokes the Republicans of the "Red" states.  The license plates are about the division between "Us" and "Them," and there couldn't be a better shibboleth than "Choose Life." Nobody who purchases one of these plates from the DMV expects to change the mind of a pregnant woman.  No unwillingly expectant female is going to gaze between the Rebel Flag decal and the "You'll get my gun when you pry it out of my cold dead fingers" bumper sticker, and say, "Choose life?  I think I will cancel my appointment at the clinic, and choose life.  Thank God for that license plate!"  No, I'm sorry, "Choose Life" plates is more akin to a secret handshake for Good Ole Boys.

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/12/04 at 10:56 pm

The real reason "Choose Life" is on those plates is not ethics or piety.  GWBush gets to their purpose when he invokes the Republicans of the "Red" states.  The license plates are about the division between "Us" and "Them," and there couldn't be a better shibboleth than "Choose Life." Nobody who purchases one of these plates from the DMV expects to change the mind of a pregnant woman.  No unwillingly expectant female is going to gaze between the Rebel Flag decal and the "You'll get my gun when you pry it out of my cold dead fingers" bumper sticker, and say, "Choose life?  I think I will cancel my appointment at the clinic, and choose life.  Thank God for that license plate!"  No, I'm sorry, "Choose Life" plates is more akin to a secret handshake for Good Ole Boys.

Georgia has confederate flag license plates available at the DMV, also state approved.  Thats the tag I got.  I would use bumper stickers but they're a pain to get off.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/14/04 at 11:34 am

I know in DC there are plates that say "Taxation without repersentation" which has a few people p.o.ed about. (I'm sure PoP can elaberate on this one more than I can).

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...