inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Written By: Hairspray on 06/15/04 at 1:50 pm

This flick kicked butt!! :D 8)

I definitely understand how some had to be changed/worked around to fit the entire book into the movie allotted time. The movie was brilliant, regardless. In addition, the effects were nothing short of spectacular.

It's nice to know there are other fans like Just visiting for now and ChuckyG. :)

Subject: Re: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

Written By: redhead007 on 06/15/04 at 2:05 pm

I've seen this movie twice already and it def. kicked some major butt.  :) Alfonso Cuaron, the director, did an awesome job; the movie was appropriately dark, just like in the book. I also sure hope Alfonso directs the fifth movie (Order of the Phoenix). Mike Newell (Four Weddings and a Funeral) is directing the next one. The first two films were great, but it was nice to see the kids a bit more grown up and starting to come into their own.

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 06/15/04 at 2:16 pm

.. "Goblet of Fire" probably won't be as "fun" as the first 2. 

Well, I think they are going to have a hard time doing the fourth book anyway.  There was just SO MUCH involved in it--the tests at the tournament and all--and I am very curious to see how they are going to mimic it for a movie.  I'll probably be at the midnight showing again for that one, though!  :D

You know one thing that really bums me out though--I heard that the writers/directors and stuff aren't sure that the same kids will be able to continue playing their roles.  Like they'll have "outgrown" it somehow.  I beg to differ, myself.  How many of us watched 'Beverly Hills 90210' ?  Did we really believe those kids were teenagers?  Some of them, perhaps, just barely--but they did it for much longer than you would've guessed that they were ACTUALLY the teens they were pretending to be!  And Ralph Macchio..how old was he when he did the Karate Kid movies?  30?  (Okay, I KNOW he is very young looking, but you get my point!) 
Suspension of disbelief, man!!    :-\\

Sure, changing the actors in a popular series is always tough..but I do think they could at least stay as consistent as possible.  I mean, you look at the loss of Richard Harris as Dumbledore--they couldn't help that (but Michael Gambon's portrayal--to me, well...  :P )..but the kids?  I truly think most people have put those kids in their minds AS Harry, Ron, and Hermione--don't ya think they'll forgive them if they are a year or two older than they're "supposed to be"?

Personally I am anxious to see how Mike Newell does directing the fourth one.  It's already been said that the writers and stuff are anxious to see how an actual 'British director' will do with it.  But barring Chris Columbus returning, Cuaron did a decent job once, and I'm sure he could do it again.  He's already said he'd like to come back--so, we'll see!    ;)

Written By: bj26 on 06/15/04 at 2:34 pm

When the book first came out, my kids and I thought it was called The Prisoner of Azkabaz. When we finally learned it was AzkaBAN, we decided to keep calling it AzkaBAZ cause it sounded better. Nevertheless, we are strong critics of the movie, loving some parts but critical of others. For example, as a Malfoy fan, I think he was dissed too much in the movie and not near as weak as he was depicted. 

Written By: Hairspray on 06/15/04 at 3:12 pm

I heard that the writers/directors and stuff aren't sure that the same kids will be able to continue playing their roles.

I hope those in control wise-up. The loss of any of the well-known characters, especially the kids, will be detrimental to this possibly great cinematic legacy.

Written By: My name is Kenny on 06/15/04 at 3:29 pm

The direction was much, much better, but I thought it had the weakest storyline of all the books.  The ending didn't feel like an ending at all.  The pacing and transitions were jumpy.  But like I said, the direction was so so much cooler and more interesting.

Written By: Mangoo on 06/15/04 at 3:47 pm

It was ok I still liked the first one the best because I didnt know what to expect cause I never read the books.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/15/04 at 5:52 pm

I hope those in control wise-up. The loss of any of the well-known characters, especially the kids, will be detrimental to this possibly great cinematic legacy.

the problem is that in the next one, I think he's supposed to be 15, and the actor will be 16 or closer to 17.  Of course by the time someone is around 16 or so, they don't change that quickly.  Look at their pictures from when they're 11 or 12 in the first movie (which I did the other day) and they look wicked young.  I think they'll be fine so long as they continue making one every year or two.  If they're 30 when they're supposed to be 18 it might be a little harder to swallow.

I have a feeling that if Rowlings can get the next two books out quick enough, they'll keep the same actors all the way through.  I can't even imagine anyone else in the major roles now.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/15/04 at 5:59 pm

I saw this one at an Imax theater, with a 60 foot high screen, which is just huge, it totally envelops your field of vision.  I though it was excellent, and the pacing was very good.  I would have liked to have seen more of Snape in this one, though I believe we'll see more of him in the next movie.  I read the books first, but it was a couple years ago, so I didn't remember much more than the major points of the movie.  Heck, I'd forgotten about the ending entirely. I think the books get bogged down a little too much with the Quidditch matches (which are great in the first two, but hardly needed in the third one).  We also don't need to see the day to day activites of the kids going to class, we've seen it before, it's filler at this point.  I was disappointed the first crush Harry has isn't included, but I guess they're saving that for the next one (since it is more relevant to the plot of the next one).

Having followed the books too, I've noticed how much angrier Harry gets every year.  Totally something he needs to get in check.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/15/04 at 6:56 pm

Haven't seen the third movie-YET. I'm sure a lot of you remember that I usually wait for movies to come out on the movie channels (which we get 12) and video/DVD. We have the first 2 on video and want to get them on DVD (along with the third one). I have read the books-TWICE. I love them all and always get excited when a new book/movie come out. I figured this one will be out on DVD in Dec. (guess what we are going to get for Christmas.  ;))

Cat

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 06/16/04 at 1:02 am

the problem is that in the next one, I think he's supposed to be 15, and the actor will be 16 or closer to 17.  Of course by the time someone is around 16 or so, they don't change that quickly.  Look at their pictures from when they're 11 or 12 in the first movie (which I did the other day) and they look wicked young.  I think they'll be fine so long as they continue making one every year or two.  If they're 30 when they're supposed to be 18 it might be a little harder to swallow.

I have a feeling that if Rowlings can get the next two books out quick enough, they'll keep the same actors all the way through.  I can't even imagine anyone else in the major roles now.

Well, Daniel Radcliffe (Harry) willl be 15 soon (July).
Emma Watson (Hermione) turned 14 in April, and
Rupert Grint (Ron) will turn 16 in August.
In the fourth book, they should all be around 16, if they all started Hogwarts at 13.  I any case, I think they would be okay--but, considering the movies take awhile to film, well..??  I don't care.  I agree, I can't even imagine anyone else in the major roles now either.  But who am I to judge?  Those kids could have other things they want to be doing, too.  I heard they were all signed on through the fourth movie..and if they continue to make them after that, well, who knows. At this point I'd hate to see any of the cast replaced.  Losing Richard Harris was bad enough.  :\'(
And I'll continue believing in all those kids even if they WERE 25 before they're done.  I know they aren't the REAL Harry, Ron, and Herminone.   ;D
(Speaking of which--did anyone besides me notice how much OLDER Neville looked?  Good grief!  :o )

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 06/16/04 at 1:17 am

Having followed the books too, I've noticed how much angrier Harry gets every year.  Totally something he needs to get in check.

:D I agree.

I noticed it enough in the books that for some reason I remember "disliking" Harry starting in the third book.  I hadn't remembered why exactly until I saw the movie! He's getting pretty nasty!  I mean, I'm sure he is getting older and hitting puberty, and though I don't have any brothers (and my son isn't even quite 11 yet!) I can only assume a certain amout of that is normal.  Let alone with Harry's circumstances!  But, after reading through Harry in the first two books (and seeing the first two movies, too), when he was this kind of shy, quiet, peaceful, (though very powerful)  kind of kid, it was really hard for me to swallow him gaining an attude!  LOL! Totally understandable, but hard to swallow!  :-\\ 
Though I must say that Daniel Radcliffe is doing a good job on the transition!  :D

I was disappointed the first crush Harry has isn't included, but I guess they're saving that for the next one (since it is more relevant to the plot of the next one).

Someone else mentioned to me about Cho, too--but I guess she just hadn't made a real impact on me until the fourth book or so.  But myself, I may just not pick up on everything--because I hadn't noticed all the hints they're making in the films about Ron and Hermione either--not until the fourth book. 
But hey, it's been a few years since I read the books, in my own defense!  ::)

Oh well, I love 'em all anyway!  :)

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 06/16/04 at 1:19 am

It took me a bit to figure out who he was.  IMO, the only way they can have someone else play the parts is if the actors have younger sibs who are ringers for them ;)

Hey, not a bad idea... ;D

Yeah, it took me a minute to realize who Neville was too.  I mean, all of them have grown (I especially see it in Ron), and Malfoy has colored his hair- but Neville just looked so different to me!

Written By: bj26 on 06/18/04 at 10:59 am

I don't think the casting people put much effort in finding the new Dumbledore, he appeared more comical than commanding.  Hagrid had such a minor role, that my kids and I were disappointed.  Hermione had a perpetual frown and Harry was a bit too Angry.  IMO, Chris Columbus was a better director.

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 06/18/04 at 12:11 pm

I don't think the casting people put much effort in finding the new Dumbledore, he appeared more comical than commanding.  Hagrid had such a minor role, that my kids and I were disappointed.  Hermione had a perpetual frown and Harry was a bit too Angry.  IMO, Chris Columbus was a better director.

I agree that he was more 'comical'.  He also seemed louder to me.  I think Richard Harris' portratyal of him seemed more 'humble', yet you KNEW he had some skills!  ;D

As for Harry being angry..he was, but I've got to side with the director here, because by the third book Harry IS  becoming angrier...  :-\\

Written By: Lennox_626 on 06/27/04 at 11:52 am

I loved it! I'm a big Harry Potter fan. I just bought a Harry Potter & The Prisoner Of Azkaban poster. It's great!  :)

Warner Brother's have decided that they are only having the next film be two hour & thirty minutes long, but it's such a long book so they can't do that. I forgot what site it's on, but there's a petition you can sign where if it gets enough people to sign they might change the length to three hour or three hour & thirty minutes. We'll have to see!

Written By: oddxsocks on 06/27/04 at 12:34 pm

i've read PoA seven or eight times, so i was pretty picky with they "THAT WASN'T IN THE BOOK" type comments...but aside from that, the movie was great.  the acting was so much better and i was happy to see that gary oldman as sirius (my favorite character)...he didn't look like the sirius i imagined, but he played the part so well.

there were two things that really bothered me though.  one was quidditch with a lack of oliver wood. ::) ;)

the other was the last scene.  as in the VERY last thing you see before the movie ends.  it's not giving away any of the plot, but i won't say it just because it was so horrible...i mean, the facial expression...i was cracking up in the theatre.

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 06/27/04 at 4:30 pm

i was happy to see that gary oldman as sirius (my favorite character)...he didn't look like the sirius i imagined, but he played the part so well.

there were two things that really bothered me though.  one was quidditch with a lack of oliver wood. ::) ;)

Yes, Gary Oldman, IMO, was a wonderful Sirius.  It took me a minute to 'accept" HIM in that role..ususually plays such a bad guy..but, I looked back on The Scarlet Letter, and he was nice in that one.  :)

A lack of Oliver Wood...yeah, I know it might make me kinda "sick", but that is one cute young man.  ::)

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 06/28/04 at 2:35 am

I didn't realize that about Malfoy.  I DID realize he had a different 'do, but didn't realize the color was different ???

He has been blonde all the time..but I seemed to notice a hint of black in there this time.... :-\\

Written By: maddog on 06/28/04 at 3:43 am

I took my eldest daughter to see PoA a few days ago, we both enjoyed it a lot.
I did think it was a bit odd to see these mature looking teenagers getting excited about a visit to the sweet shop
in Hogsmeade though. That was the only part that made me feel the actors were getting older faster than their characters.

Michael Gambon (the new Dumbledore) is a veteran British stage and screen actor, highly regarded. If you think he's comical in this then you should watch his evil and menacing performance in "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife And Her Lover". On second thoughts, only watch this if you've got a strong stomach....

Written By: jaytee on 06/28/04 at 4:36 am

I

Michael Gambon (the new Dumbledore) is a veteran British stage and screen actor, highly regarded. If you think he's comical in this then you should watch his evil and menacing performance in "The Cook, The Thief, His Wife And Her Lover". On second thoughts, only watch this if you've got a strong stomach....

I love Michael Gambon - did you ever see him in Dennis Potter's "The Singing Detective" - brilliant!!
This movie is on our "must see list" for the June/July school holidays.

Written By: maddog on 06/28/04 at 7:11 am

I love Michael Gambon - did you ever see him in Dennis Potter's "The Singing Detective" - brilliant!!

Absolutely brilliant jaytee, that series was just compelling viewing. There really isn't any TV drama these days that's comparable to it.

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 06/28/04 at 4:25 pm

Maybe since it's not slicked back, you can see his roots...

"dyus hairus rootem" ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D

That may very well be..and if I remember right, he's one of the older kids in the movies (in real life)--and though I've never had "roots", don't roots start showing through on people who don't dye as they get older?  ???

Written By: jaytee on 07/10/04 at 8:32 am

Saw this movie yesterday with 11 year old son.  We both loved it.  I thought Michael Gambon did a great job.

Written By: Gis on 07/11/04 at 4:38 am

I didn't like Michael Gambon as Dumbledore at all.To me it was almost like he couldn't be arsed with it.He also kept going off into a scottish accent ! He sounded like he was imitating Professor McGonagal !?!. For such a distingushed and good actor I can't understand why he couldn't hold the accent.Trust me if you go and see it again just listen to how he speaks !

I was gutted when I heard Gary Oldman was Sirius as I don't like him as an actor but he was great so I was happpy to be wrong there.

Ahh and the rumours are rife for the next one and he who shall not be named so far Ralph Fiennes and John Malkovich..........................

Check for new replies or respond here...