inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Christian American Idol

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/18/04 at 9:15 am

"Gifted", an Amercan Idol type competition for Christian artists is set to debut in October on the Trinity Broadcasting Network. Your opinions.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=494&e=21&u=/ap/20040618/ap_en_tv/christian_talent_show_1

Subject: Re: Christian American Idol

Written By: GWBush2004 on 06/18/04 at 9:17 am

"Gifted", an Amercan Idol type competition for Christian artists is set to debut in October on the Trinity Broadcasting Network. Your opinions.
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=494&e=21&u=/ap/20040618/ap_en_tv/christian_talent_show_1

My opinion is that all American Idol sucks.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/18/04 at 9:42 am

Hey this really has potential.  I need to find the producers of this show, because I have some ideas for it, that fall along the lines of the successful American Idol production.

This show should follow Idol's pattern of having "specialty nights" like Disco Night, Barry Manilow Night and so on.  Here are my proposals:

Snake Handling Night
On this night the contestants vie for votes by handling venomous snakes in a way that most demonstrates their faith.  Truely faithless contestants will be eliminated by the snakes.  The nationwide audience will do the rest of the voting.

Confession Night
This is a very special night in which Pope John Paul II comes to visit the contestants.  Each of them makes a confession to the Holy Father, who then eliminates the contestant with the least-contrite confession.

Jimmy Swaggart Night
Contestants are required to make a fire-and-brimstone sermon. The winner is judged by whoever generates the largest volume of sweat from his or her brow.

Gospel Music Night
Best singer wins.  Extra points if a singer has actually never seen the inside of a church.

Written By: philbo on 06/18/04 at 10:37 am

My opinion is that all American Idol sucks.

Hey, something else we can agree on :D

Snake Handling Night
On this night the contestants vie for votes by handling venomous snakes in a way that most demonstrates their faith.  Truely faithless contestants will be eliminated by the snakes.  The nationwide audience will do the rest of the voting.

Confession Night
This is a very special night in which Pope John Paul II comes to visit the contestants.  Each of them makes a confession to the Holy Father, who then eliminates the contestant with the least-contrite confession.

Excellent!

Written By: womberty on 06/18/04 at 12:48 pm

Hey, why not?  It seems that every other genre is doing it, why shouldn't they?  Country has "Nashville's Next Big Star" (or something like that).  They should call the winner "God's Chosen One" ;D

"Nashville Star" doesn't follow the American Idol format - or at least, it didn't the first year. Their contestants were required to write at least some of their own songs.

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/18/04 at 12:58 pm

I think that would be a good idea for the "Gifted" contestants, just so we know who's genuinely Christian and who's just joining to jump start a secular career. :-\\

"Nashville Star" doesn't follow the American Idol format - or at least, it didn't the first year. Their contestants were required to write at least some of their own songs.

Written By: womberty on 06/18/04 at 1:16 pm

Yeah, but writing Christian songs is easy - remember that South Park episode?  ;)

(Not that writing a country song is the most difficult thing, either...)

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 06/18/04 at 3:24 pm

Yeah, but writing Christian songs is easy - remember that South Park episode?  ;)

Are you talking about "The Passion" one?  Or which one?

Written By: womberty on 06/18/04 at 3:59 pm

No, "Faith +1"! You haven't seen that one yet?!?

Cartman creates a Christian rock group (with Butters and Token) and to write their songs, he just takes normal pop love songs and replaces "girl" and "baby" with "Jesus."  :D

Written By: Dagwood on 06/18/04 at 6:42 pm

They still have to write their own songs.

Written By: womberty on 06/18/04 at 7:41 pm

I think I missed that the second season, probably because I didn't watch all the episodes.

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/18/04 at 9:34 pm

Christian American Idol?

Odd, isn’t there something in the Ten Commandments about worshiping false idols? Is it not a sin to want to be worshipped as an “idol” regardless of the medium or the reason?

Having a contest show, emulating one of the most unseemly shows, with its shameless wanna-be amateur stars/starlets,  & one of the worst that secular TV has to offer, seems contrary to Christian thought.

Don’t mean to slight anyone of high religious beliefs, it just that I see this as a big step down to the level of immoral secularism that the church usually frowns upon, or should I not be surprised?

Written By: My name is Kenny on 06/18/04 at 9:51 pm

By that logic, liking other people is not allowed by Christian standards.

Written By: gumbypiz on 06/19/04 at 12:51 am

By that logic, liking other people is not allowed by Christian standards.

Huh?
Theres no implied logic, here. Just making an observation. ::)

Written By: Tbullsr on 06/21/04 at 4:59 pm

Is it just me or doesn't hard work matter anymore? Seems everyone is looking for an easy way to the so called top. 

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/21/04 at 6:14 pm

It does seem like a oxymoron. But the show is not called "Christian American Idol". It's called "Gifted", as in gifted by God. At least the producers kow it isn't about being worshipped. But you know how some of the younger artists use religion to get fame and riches. That's just wrong. :(

Christian American Idol?

Odd, isn’t there something in the Ten Commandments about worshiping false idols? Is it not a sin to want to be worshipped as an “idol” regardless of the medium or the reason?

Having a contest show, emulating one of the most unseemly shows, with its shameless wanna-be amateur stars/starlets,  & one of the worst that secular TV has to offer, seems contrary to Christian thought.

Don’t mean to slight anyone of high religious beliefs, it just that I see this as a big step down to the level of immoral secularism that the church usually frowns upon, or should I not be surprised?

Written By: Powerslave on 06/21/04 at 11:30 pm

If these people were particularly gifted, they wouldn't need a TV show to get discovered. Makes me wonder how people ever got to be stars before "reality" TV shows.

Written By: philbo on 06/23/04 at 4:35 am

If these people were particularly gifted, they wouldn't need a TV show to get discovered. Makes me wonder how people ever got to be stars before "reality" TV shows.

There's a lot of gifted people that will never see the bright light of celebrity... probably because most of 'em don't want to.

Is it just me or doesn't hard work matter anymore? Seems everyone is looking for an easy way to the so called top. 

Yep.  I don't know about "everyone", though... only people who try and get on these "talent" shows, buy lottery tickets, sue for "emotional disturbance"... OK, nearly everyone, then.

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/25/04 at 8:57 am

Good point Philbo. And a lot of gifted people will never see celebrity status because a lot of the judges couldn't tell sh*te from Shinola.

There's a lot of gifted people that will never see the bright light of celebrity... probably because most of 'em don't want to.

Yep.  I don't know about "everyone", though... only people who try and get on these "talent" shows, buy lottery tickets, sue for "emotional disturbance"... OK, nearly everyone, then.

Written By: philbo on 06/28/04 at 12:09 pm

Good point Philbo. And a lot of gifted people will never see celebrity status because a lot of the judges couldn't tell sh*te from Shinola.

And it ain't just the judges who are, um.. poor judges

Written By: theRealJimA on 06/29/04 at 1:29 pm

can we have a "Devil Worshipping, Beer Drinking, etc . . .,  Rock Star Idol", like we used to have before all this "I've less of a personality than the other people here Idol" thing started ;)

Bring on the new Ozzy Osbourne and such  :P

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/29/04 at 2:02 pm

Isn't that just about anyone who isn't a 'Christian' artist? ;)
can we have a "Devil Worshipping, Beer Drinking, etc . . .,  Rock Star Idol", like we used to have before all this "I've less of a personality than the other people here Idol" thing started ;)

Bring on the new Ozzy Osbourne and such  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...