inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What's the dfference: 90s music and 2000s music

Written By: Kyle on 06/19/04 at 7:09 pm

While I was listening to the Top 40 Countdown on Fuse, I'd got to thiinking, what's the difference between 90s music and 2000s music.  It does sound kinda same. :-\\

Subject: Re: What's the dfference: 90s music and 2000s music

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 06/19/04 at 7:23 pm

Depends on what part of the 90s your talking about. 
I was pretty young in the early 90s so I don't remember much music.  Just know a lot of pop/rock elements were still a little left over from the 80s.  And that's when you had all your "old school" rappers.....of course at the time it was a relatively new thing.  :)    Then the mid-90s I remember a whole lotta dance kinda music.  (remember "Be my lover....la-da-da-dee-da-da-da-da...."  :D )    Music from the late 90s is pretty much like today's music.  I guess it's time for some new styles to be discovered.

Written By: Hairspray on 06/19/04 at 10:43 pm

From mid 90s to today, there has been/still is an utter lack of originality and quality in music.

I just watched the movie "50 First Dates" with Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore and heard two songs of the group "The Cure" redone. The sporadic "cover" used to be ok to hear; some were good and others may have even been improvements on originals. In my opinion, that hasn't been the case in quite some time and in fact too many covers are done. I swear that's all I hear anymore! I'm no longer surprised at the sheer ripping-off of past tunes, even if only in "sampling", but I'm definitely disgusted with the music industry.

Written By: Hairspray on 06/19/04 at 11:32 pm

From mid 90s to today?  No difference at all, as far as I can tell. :P

Written By: CosmicPrincess on 06/20/04 at 2:07 am

This is an interesting topic; In my own honest opinion, the decade of the 90s ended in December 1998. I don't even count 1999 as part of that decade because it really was the percursor of the 2000's. That's when Britney, J.Lo, Justin Timberlake, and all the other artists that are popular now first came on the scene. As for music today being no different than music of the 90s, I have to disagree. Everything now is soooo over produced and glossed over that it has lost any sense of originality. In the period of 1990-1998, there were many unique and talented singers and bands who wrote their own stuff and had a unique style (Tori Amos, Soundgarden, Bjork, 2 Unlimited, Alanis Morrisette, even the Spice Girls, etc.) Many have been forgotten in recent years, but the 90s music was not lacking in originality...like I said, it was the pop explosion of 1999 that killed everything.

Written By: Howard on 06/20/04 at 11:29 am

From mid 90s to today?  No difference at all, as far as I can tell.

You're right.I don't think there's a difference from what I hear. ???

Howard

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 06/20/04 at 2:16 pm

I think it's all kinda subjective.  Kids will always want something current, even if it sucks they will always want it because it's from right now.  People under 20 or 21 don't want something from the 80s or 90s, or even 2002, because they like current stuff.  So if you're raised on one style of music or fashion, when that changes you are not going to fully appreciate the new style. 

Written By: oddxsocks on 06/20/04 at 2:38 pm

in the 90's, we had boybands that used a lot of keyboards and sound effects.  in the 00's, we still have boybands, only now they play guitar and are really "punk." ::)

I think it's all kinda subjective.  Kids will always want something current, even if it sucks they will always want it because it's from right now.  People under 20 or 21 don't want something from the 80s or 90s, or even 2002, because they like current stuff.  So if you're raised on one style of music or fashion, when that changes you are not going to fully appreciate the new style. 

not nessecarily...i was way ahead of the rest of my fourth grade class when i said the backstreet boys sucked. ;)

Written By: Gen_Y_boy on 06/20/04 at 6:08 pm

I have to totally agree with CosmicPrincess.

The music of the '90's and the music of the '00's obviously have some parallels, like any neighboring decades. But the music is different than it was in the '90's. In fact, music trends change way more often than each decade. Not until 1999 was teen-pop introducted into the mainstream and widly accepted. Before 1999, it was all about progressive rock and grunge. For instance, do you know how harder it was for the Spice Girls in 1994 to sign with a record label, than it would for then to in 2004. That's because in 1994, the Spice Girls' poppy melody was outnumbered by Hootie & The Blowfish-type bands, Alanis Morrisette-type rockers, and Nirvana-type grunge-rockers. The reason the Spice Girls' success rose so quickly and plummeted even quicker was because they were something new, a breath of fresh air.

Now, I, being a music freak, can fully proclaim that today's music is nothing like '90's music. The nineties was one of the best decades ever for grunge and progressive rock, as well as adult contemporary. Some of the best rock songs ever are from the 1990's. But in the 1990's it wasn't cool to be "pop," you either listened to your R&B or your rock; pop wasn't nearly as mainstream as it is today and as was in decades past.

And to say today's music is overproduced and overprocessed. Just take a glance at the '80's. Once you're done with that go on ahead and look at the disco hits of the '70's. Processed music is a trend that's starting to come back. Some of the most remembered and recognizable songs are
"overprocessed" '70's and '80's hits. I bet you any amount of money that in 20 years "Toxic" is gonna become the new "We Are Family."

I also just wanna say that the '00's are given really bad rep. on this board. If you get past the pop and the bling-bling rap for a second, you'll see that there really is a lot of quality music. More so than the '90's? Of course not, but definitely not any less.

Written By: tv on 06/20/04 at 7:00 pm

This is an interesting topic; In my own honest opinion, the decade of the 90s ended in December 1998. I don't even count 1999 as part of that decade because it really was the percursor of the 2000's. That's when Britney, J.Lo, Justin Timberlake, and all the other artists that are popular now first came on the scene. As for music today being no different than music of the 90s, I have to disagree. Everything now is soooo over produced and glossed over that it has lost any sense of originality. In the period of 1990-1998, there were many unique and talented singers and bands who wrote their own stuff and had a unique style (Tori Amos, Soundgarden, Bjork, 2 Unlimited, Alanis Morrisette, even the Spice Girls, etc.) Many have been forgotten in recent years, but the 90s music was not lacking in originality...like I said, it was the pop explosion of 1999 that killed everything.
I agree totally wioth this post and totally identify with this post. December of 1998 was when Britney Spears's "Baby One More Time" came out and that just changed everything musically in my opinion. I mean now it would be so hard for a record label to sign an R&B act like Jodeci or Dru Hill because that type of music is totally out of style. R&B groups look like they are a thing of the past. If a label wanted to sign a band like Stone Temple Pilots in 2004 it probably wouldn't do that. The 2 decades are so different(the 90's and 00's) its like night and day.Was Britney Spears around in 1994? No so how can the 00's and 90's sound the same at all?  I mean come I liked the 90's. I don't care for this decade of music at all with certain exceptions(the 00's.) 1992-1998 was my time of music.

Today;s music has maybe 5-8 good acts and their CD's don't even sell well.

As for Britney and N'Sync have you listened to the radio of late? It all sounds like the mid to late 80's are making a comeback. You got Usher, Mario Winans,and  Kanye West. It all sounds like the urban music is coming back. The late 80's/early 90's was all Pop/R&B and rap(Bell Biv Devoe, Keith Sweat, and LL Cool J.)

Im conclusion I think 1999-2001 at least will be remembered as the hair metal era and late 70's disco era combined as far as quality of music goes. You had Limp Bizkit who probably the Winger of the rap-metal era.

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/21/04 at 7:04 am

There is no difference.  The only difference I can tell is that rap is practically all you hear.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 06/21/04 at 1:04 pm

I'm no longer surprised at the sheer ripping-off of past tunes, even if only in "sampling", but I'm definitely disgusted with the music industry.

Actually I find the "sampling" kinda funny.  I hear this song on the radio the other day by Mase, I'm not sure if it's new or if it's old and I just never heard it, but it's called "Welcome Back" and he took a little bit of the "Welcome Back Kotter" theme.  I just had to laugh!
What does annoy me, though, is people who keep using cliche classical music in their music.  PEOPLE, WE'VE HEARD ENOUGH VARIATIONS OF PACHELBEL'S CANON!!!  And I don't know how many people could recognize this, but Janet Jackson had a song a few years back that used Satie's "Trois Gymnopedie."  GIVE ME A BREAK!

Written By: Joel on 06/21/04 at 4:59 pm

The nineties were very different. Parts of the eighties lasted into the early nineties. Outside of the grunge movement, most popular clothes were almost as tacky as clothes in the eighties. Some women still had godawful big poofy hair, and I believe the big, long earrings were still being worn by some women. When I look at photos of my family from the early nineties my mom and sister had the huge dorky glasses you saw in the eighties. Popstars of the eighties lasted into the early nineties. Pop stars such as Micheal Jackson, Paula Abdul, Mc Hammer, Soul Asylum, INXS, and New Kids On the Block started in the eighties and ended in the early nineties. And plenty of early nineties groups had a real eighties feel to them. Examples include Wilson Phillips, And also there were many popular show that ran from the eighties to the early/mid-nineties such as Alf, Growing Pains, Perfect Strangers, Night Court, Golden Girls, Cheers,

The nineties was a decade of alternative, grunge and post-grunge, dance music, and hiphop.

What did we have in the nineties.

Rock:
Weezer, Sloan, Blind Melon, No Doubt, Green Day, Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Sublime, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, Radiohead, Collective Soul, The Tea Party, Silverchair, Our Lady Peace, Bush, Pavement, Nine Inch Nails, Smashing Pumpkins, I Mother Earth, Kenny Wayne Shepard, Blur, Everclear, Fastball, Treble Charger, Wide Mouth Mason, Third Eye Blind, Veruca Salt, Moist, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Oasis, Matthew Good Band, The Verve Pipe, Stone Temple Pilots, Live, Tonic, Dishwalla, Presidents of the United States of America, Counting Crows, the Wallflowers, Days of the New, the Black Crowes, Foo Fighters, Ben Harper, Blue Rodeo, Beck, Bif Naked, Hole, Barenaked Ladies, and so on.........

And that's only a few. I'm sure there are lot's of bands I'm forgetting to mention.

Dance/Electronic/R&B/HipHop:

Ace of Base, Boyz II Men, Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, Fatboy Slim, Crystal Method, Love Inc, Aqua (ignoring the Barby song some of their other songs are actually catchy dance songs Ex. "Cartoon Heroes", "Happy Boys and Girls"), Savage Garden, C+C Music Factory, All 4 One, Salt N Pepper, En Vogue, TLC, K-Ci & JoJo( I think they're crap but "All My Life" was a very beautiful song I'll never forget), Blackstreet, Coolio,Tribe Called Quest, De La Soul, Ice Cube, Fugees, Nas, Big, Tupac, Busta Rhymes, Mos Def, Jungle Brothers, Gangstarr, Propellerheads, Portishead, Moby, Massive Attack, Underworld, Leftfield,etc.

Pop:
Sinead Connor, Jewel, Sarah McLachlan, Mellisa Etheridge, Annie Lennox, Alanis Morrisette, Lillith Fair, Sheryl Crow, Beth Orton, Tori Amos, etc.....
Legal age women who wrote their own songs, played instruments, didn't sell sex or dress in trampy attire, and actually wrote some deep and reflectic songs about issues and/or causes. Their poetic songs didn't sound like the bad poetry of an angsty teenage dropout ( hint hint Avril).

Rock and Alternative really did dominate the nineties until the boyband/Britney explosion of the very late nineties. There were some good rap and R&B groups, but thankfully rap and R&B didn't totally dominate the radio, MTV, and the charts like it does nowadays. This was before NuMetal or RapMetal killed rock. This was the good days before Destinys Child, Eminem, 50 Cent, Britney, Christina, Jessica Simpson, Justin Timberlake, Little Bow Wow, Staind, Linkin Park, Puddle of Mudd, Limp Bizkit, Korn, Evanascance, Hillary Duff, J Lo, Blink 182, Good Charlotte, New Found Glory, Ataris, Creed, Ja Rule, Nelly, DMX, Ludacris, P Diddy, Fefe Dobson, Avril, American Idol, etc,etc are ruined music as we knew it and got the new millenium off to a horrible start. This is a dark time for music fans.

Written By: Corky on 06/21/04 at 7:45 pm

Personally, I don't see the difference. I like music from the 40's - 70's the best. I love The Monkees.

Written By: Steve2891 on 06/21/04 at 8:06 pm

Since 1998, everything seems the same.

Written By: Chrisrj on 06/21/04 at 10:23 pm

To those who think 1999 was no different from today... take a listen to Britney's songs from 98-99, and compare them to her songs from today.  Also do the same for N*SYNC, listen to Tearin' Up My Heart, and pair it up with "Pop".  I guarantee that there's a difference.  It's all sort of a "dirty-pop" kind of decade now, and I actually like them(to an extent anyway).  Not to mention they're more techno-styled, while the music of back then was more grunge/alternative based, which did stay throughout 99 still, if just barely. 

So I have to disagree, except for the domination of the rap they have now.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/21/04 at 11:30 pm

I stopped buying records in 1990 and have enjoyed very FEW songs since....with the exception of Tool, Nirvana & Weezer to name a few.....the 60's through the 80's ROCKED :)

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/12/05 at 2:35 am

Music didn't begin to sound the same until 1997. 1995-96 was wasteland and 1990-94 was more like 80s than today of anything.

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/12/05 at 2:40 am

Music didn't begin to sound the same until 1997. 1995-96 was wasteland and 1990-94 was more like 80s than today of anything.

Difference between '90s and '00s music, well hip-hop did not dominate the top 40 in the '90s like it does today, pop music was halfway decent (early-mid 90s), some great r&b groups, of course grunge's popularity among young people compared to hip-hop's today.

Written By: Full_House_Fan on 03/12/05 at 2:41 am

Difference between '90s and '00s music, well hip-hop did not dominate the top 40 in the '90s like it does today, pop music was halfway decent (early-mid 90s), some great r&b groups, of course grunge's popularity among young people compared to hip-hop's today.

Music wasn't as preppie and materialistic then ... it is today and way in the 80s (I like 80s music though  8) )

Written By: Kyle on 03/13/05 at 1:26 pm

To those who think 1999 was no different from today... take a listen to Britney's songs from 98-99, and compare them to her songs from today.  Also do the same for N*SYNC, listen to Tearin' Up My Heart, and pair it up with "Pop".  I guarantee that there's a difference.  It's all sort of a "dirty-pop" kind of decade now, and I actually like them(to an extent anyway).  Not to mention they're more techno-styled, while the music of back then was more grunge/alternative based, which did stay throughout 99 still, if just barely. 

So I have to disagree, except for the domination of the rap they have now.

Just imagine what Lindsay Lohan or Hillary Duff will sound like in a couple years.  And don't forget Puff Daddy/Snoop Dogg/Usher, etc.  I don't think they will sound alike either.    ;D ;D 

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/13/05 at 1:42 pm

They'll still sound like crap to me.

Written By: ElDuderino on 03/13/05 at 1:43 pm

I think it's all kinda subjective. Kids will always want something current, even if it sucks they will always want it because it's from right now. People under 20 or 21 don't want something from the 80s or 90s, or even 2002, because they like current stuff. So if you're raised on one style of music or fashion, when that changes you are not going to fully appreciate the new style.

I don't listen to current music. None. Not rock, rap, or r & b. ;)

Written By: bbigd04 on 03/13/05 at 1:53 pm

Wrong, I like all kinds of music, mostly from the '90s and '00s. Consider 2002 as old, ummmmm hell no, 2002 is still like yesterday to me. And a lot of people I know like a lot of '90s rock, and some '80s as well. Now 12 and 13 yr olds maybe might fit that. But not 17,18-20 year olds.

Written By: oriax on 06/13/08 at 2:55 pm

In the 90's, music and popular fashion that had dominated the 80's had abruptly given way to a new sensibility for the 90's around 89-90. Probably with the collapse of the Iron Curtain and the advent of the internet. Although grunge and post-grunge were huge, they were more of a transitional period for what we have now and have had since around '95. Retro sounds of music and looks of fashion progressed from a 60's look, to a 70's/disco look for most of the 90's to an 80's feel found in the late 90's until today.  I agree that underground and subcultural music is less prevalent today and seems to be an overproduced extension of all things emerging back around '98. I'm older, so I cant really see or hear too many subtleties that a 19 year-old can discern, but, I really see not much of a difference in the basic elements of music and fashion. Everything seems milquetoast and avoids extremes nowadays. Nothing is new or edgy. From sounds, to clothes, to hairdo's.And i don't mean that in a hardcore way, but rather in terms of the experimental. We are at war now and have been for a long time. Our attention to culture has been put on the back-burner compared to the 90's when we were doing anything we could to stand out and be new and different. Definitely more computers and digital production (the 90's had a period of an analog renaissance) nowadays. Genres and fashion seem to cross and melt into each other. Kinda boring in my opinion.

Written By: whistledog on 06/13/08 at 9:11 pm

90s music was in the 90s
2000s music is in the 2000s

For those who didn't already know that, I'm glad to be of service ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/14/08 at 3:22 pm

To me, most '00s music sounds like a watered down, not quite as good version of '90s music. I wouldn't say there too much alike, despite some similarities.

Written By: woops on 06/14/08 at 4:15 pm

Since 1998, everything seems the same.

ditto

Pussycat Dolls, 50 Cent, and My Chemical Romance wouldn't be too out of place if they've been around a decade ago.  ::) 8-P

Except that numetal and boybands aren't popular.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/14/08 at 5:47 pm

90s music was in the 90s
2000s music is in the 2000s

For those who didn't already know that, I'm glad to be of service ;D
Are you serious?

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/14/08 at 6:54 pm

Can we please lock these old topics, so that people can't bump them. I'm sick of it going in circles like this.

Check for new replies or respond here...