inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mattie Stepanek,poet and Muscular Dystrophy advocate,dies at 13...

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 06/23/04 at 5:29 am

Poet and disability advocate Mattie Stepanek has passed on...as someone with a disABILITY,yes his death affects me...I complain about my COPD,arthritis,and schizoaffective disorder,and here's someone who DIED from complications of Muscular Dystrophy...why shoud a CHILD have to die...so unfair..Mattie,you will be missed.

Subject: Re: Mattie Stepanek,poet and Muscular Dystrophy advocate,dies at 13...

Written By: Dagwood on 06/23/04 at 7:20 am

This is sad.  Rest In Peace, Mattie.  At least now he is in no more pain.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/23/04 at 8:46 am

:\'(
Thanks, Mattie, for raising awareness about MD in your brief life.  You are bright and brave, and now in a better place.  You done good!

Written By: Joelle on 06/23/04 at 9:33 am

RIP Mattie, I have both your books. Your gentle soul and love of poetry will always be remembered.

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 06/23/04 at 11:45 am

Oh my God... :\'(

I have seen his appearances on Oprah and he was an inspirational child. Always had a positive outlook on life despite the fact that he was suffering from the horrible affliction known as Muscular Dystrophy. I didn't realise he had passed on. He will definitely be missed, and his spirit will live on in the hearts of people everywhere.

Absolutely Vile

Written By: Marian on 06/23/04 at 1:11 pm

I have seen his appearances on Oprah and he was an inspirational child. Always had a positive outlook on life despite the fact that he was suffering from the horrible affliction known as Muscular Dystrophy. I didn't realise he had passed on. He will definitely be missed, and his spirit will live on in the hearts of people everywhere.

Absolutely Vile
I agree.We did hope he'd last longer so he could do more of what he wanted,though.Cheers!

Written By: Cheetara on 06/23/04 at 4:11 pm

Absolutely Vile

I was heartbroken to hear this.  I heard about it this morning while getting ready for work.  I remember when you had a poem regarding PEACE.  He will be missed and his legacy will live on.  May he fly with heavenly wings.    :\'(

Written By: Indy Gent on 06/23/04 at 8:39 pm

I am sorry to see any child die. I may not go ga-ga over them, but no child deserves a disease as cruel as MD. Let's just hope Jerry Lewis is still alive when they finally find a cure. :( :\'(

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 06/24/04 at 3:06 am

I am sorry to see any child die. I may not go ga-ga over them, but no child deserves a disease as cruel as MD. Let's just hope Jerry Lewis is still alive when they finally find a cure. :( :\'(
I knew two people with Duchenne muscular dystrophy....they are both GONE as well,one ended up on a ventilator...but they both lived life to the fullest and I never heard them whine about their illness even once. MD is not fair at all.....neither is ALS(Lou Gehrig's Disease)....

Written By: Absolutely Vile on 06/24/04 at 3:52 am

Oooh, don't get me started on Jerry Lewis.  >:( But yes, I do hope a cure is found soon. I have a friend with a form of Muscular Dystrophy, and one with Multiple Sclerosis (totally different, but just as terrible and debilitating), and it's really sad to see what they have to go through. It makes me feel lucky in a way...

Absolutely Vile

Check for new replies or respond here...