inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Goody Bags at Awards Shows

Written By: eightiesfan on 06/23/04 at 10:13 am

Has anyone noticed the trend in recent years of celebrity presenters at awards shows (like the Oscars or the Grammys) who receive goody bags or gift baskets (whatever they're called) worth thousands of dollars?  What do you think about it?

In my opinion, I think it would be a better idea if awards shows, in lieu of giving the stars things they can certainly afford to buy themselves, should make a donation to their favorite charities instead.

Subject: Re: Goody Bags at Awards Shows

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/23/04 at 10:26 am

I know what you mean.  I think it's terrible.  These stars can surely afford the items they get for free in these goody bags.  Why do they have to be rewarded for appearing on an awards show anyway?  I agree with you, the money spent on these things would be better given to charity, where people who really need the help can get it.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/23/04 at 10:47 am

I think the manufacturers of the stuff in the goodie bags do so for a reason.

They hope that the celebrity will be seen (and hopefully even photographed) using the stuff, which would then be "free" advertising.

Shrewd people, these advertisers.  ;)

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/23/04 at 12:21 pm

Although, it might be interesting to see the celebrities using the mattresses  :o

Uh, I don't think I'd want to see those pictures  :o

Written By: Marian on 06/23/04 at 1:43 pm

Uh, I don't think I'd want to see those pictures  :o
;D :-* ;D :-* ;D :-* ;D :-* ;D :-* ;D :-* ;D :-*

Check for new replies or respond here...