inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Power of Advertising?

Written By: karen on 06/28/04 at 6:09 am

We went to McDonalds at the weekend and the children both had a Happy Meal.  My daughter suddenly became upset when she was playing with the doll she got. 

I asked her why and she said that on the TV advert when the girl squeezed the doll her clothes her changed into what the doll was wearing.  Elizabeth had squeezed her doll and she was still wearing her jeans and a t-shirt , not a purple boob tube. blue skirt and a floral afghan style coat.  She really expected her clothes to change!  I guess the 'magic' of television is hard to understand when you're five.

Do you reckon I could sue McD's for their products not being as advertised?  ;D

Subject: Re: The Power of Advertising?

Written By: Powerslave on 06/28/04 at 6:33 am

That's pretty funny. Maybe you couldn't sue them for that, but I did feel like writing to Mattel to complain about one of their Barbie products once. My daughter bought a fairy Barbie with plastic wings that were supposed to produce bubbles when dipped in soap and moved through the air. Of course it didn't work like that, did it? Instead of just gently waving it around and blowing on the wings to make the bubbles, we could only get it work by violently jerking it up and down. How do you explain that to a 4 year old?

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/28/04 at 6:55 am

My daughter bought a fairy Barbie with plastic wings that were supposed to produce bubbles when dipped in soap and moved through the air. Of course it didn't work like that, did it? Instead of just gently waving it around and blowing on the wings to make the bubbles, we could only get it work by violently jerking it up and down. How do you explain that to a 4 year old?

OMG!!!!!!! ;D  The same thing happened to my daughter!  She got one of those Barbie's for her 5th birthday back in November & it was such crap, she ended up taking off the wings, the dress & now refuses to ever put clothes on her. LOL

Written By: Dagwood on 06/28/04 at 7:12 am

OMG!!!!!!! ;D  The same thing happened to my daughter!  She got one of those Barbie's for her 5th birthday back in November & it was such crap, she ended up taking off the wings, the dress & now refuses to ever put clothes on her. LOL

I know what you mean.  My house is populated by naked Barbie.  She only has one that I told her she wasn't allowed to strip.  She got the Swan Lake Barbie for Christmas.  It was the one with the wings that light up.  Other than that, Barbie is naked everywhere.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/28/04 at 9:01 am

Often times toy companies post a disclaimer caption in their ads, such as "game pieces do not actually talk."  Maybe McD's would be advised to put "Dolls do not really change outfits when you squeeze them," or something.  Like little kids would read that, anyway. 
Remember the old "Sea Monkeys" ads from the comic books?  It showed the illustration of the anthropomorphized sea monkey family in their utopian subterranean home?  Kids eagerly awaited the day when their new friends would arrive, only to receive a package of dried brine shrimp, barely visible, and possibly not even viable.
Eventually the purveyors of the product had to print a realistic illustration next to the fantasy illustration.
Anyway...

Written By: Hairspray on 06/28/04 at 9:13 pm

we could only get it work by violently jerking it up and down.

LMAO!! ;D

Edited to add: It was the visual, man.

Written By: Hairspray on 06/28/04 at 9:31 pm

Remember the old "Sea Monkeys" ads from the comic books?  It showed the illustration of the anthropomorphized sea monkey family in their utopian subterranean home?  Kids eagerly awaited the day when their new friends would arrive, only to receive a package of dried brine shrimp, barely visible, and possibly not even viable.

Yeah, man! I remember that. ;D

I watched one of my friends go through the motions of utter disappointment. It began something like, "What the hell? I was scammed!!"

Written By: saver on 06/28/04 at 9:51 pm

I'm middle aged and I Don't get taken into a winter ski scene whenever I bite into a York Peppermint Pattie!

Shouldn't they put that small print under the ad too?

Strange, but whenever I clean my bathtub with Mr. Clean, I do see a bald guy with an earing, looking back at me and winking. (I personally think it's from the fumes!)

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/28/04 at 9:54 pm

Kinda reminds me of them old X-ray glasses I bought from MAD magazine :P  What a CROCK!  I couldn't see any nakedness >:( :D

Written By: lebeiw15 on 06/28/04 at 10:24 pm

Strange, but whenever I clean my bathtub with Mr. Clean, I do see a bald guy with an earing, looking back at me and winking. (I personally think it's from the fumes!)

:D

Written By: Hairspray on 06/28/04 at 10:31 pm

You guys and gals all crack me up!! :D ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/28/04 at 11:54 pm

Kinda reminds me of them old X-ray glasses I bought from MAD magazine :P  What a CROCK!  I couldn't see any nakedness >:( :D

Hmmm...I didn't know any girls bought X-ray specs!  I think he real point of those was that they said "X-ray" on them in really big letters, and all the girls in the playground knew exactly what you had, and they'd all scream and run away 'coz you could see through their clothes!  If a kid did that today he'd be expelled and charged with sexual harrassment, even if he was eight.

There was also something called the "Shoe Mirror," the slogan was "Enjoy the view."  The illustration showed a guy with the infamous "She Mirror" strapped to his loafers at the bus stop, he was looking down delightedly in the proximity of a lady wearing a short skirt. 

Flash forward 25 years to the future.  Now you've got tiny cameras once a reality only on "Get Smart" available to any dope who wants to run his own "upskirts" site.  There have actually been invasion of privacy suits over these camera techniques.

Written By: Jessica on 06/29/04 at 12:02 am

I know what you mean.  My house is populated by naked Barbie.  She only has one that I told her she wasn't allowed to strip.  She got the Swan Lake Barbie for Christmas.  It was the one with the wings that light up.  Other than that, Barbie is naked everywhere.

Ah yes. The infamous naked Barbie. That's how mine usually ended up. Or they'd end up with shaved heads for that "GI Jane" look. ::)

Written By: Powerslave on 06/29/04 at 12:57 am

LMAO!! ;D

Edited to add: It was the visual, man.

:) I was actually thinking of another way to put it, but couldn't. :)

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/29/04 at 6:32 am

Hmmm...I didn't know any girls bought X-ray specs! 

Well how else was I supposed to see the cutest guy in school naked? :D 

Written By: Dagwood on 06/29/04 at 7:16 am

Ah yes. The infamous naked Barbie. That's how mine usually ended up. Or they'd end up with shaved heads for that "GI Jane" look. ::)

My sister used to try to layer Barbies hair.  All my Barbies had bad haircuts. ;)

Written By: karen on 06/29/04 at 8:57 am

I tried to give mine a 'pageboy' cut with my mum's pinking shears.  Not a good hairstyle.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/29/04 at 10:53 am

I tried to give mine a 'pageboy' cut with my mum's pinking shears.  Not a good hairstyle.

What exactly is "pinking," as in "to pink"?

Written By: Howard on 06/29/04 at 4:34 pm

Kinda reminds me of them old X-ray glasses I bought from MAD magazine  What a CROCK!  I couldn't see any nakedness 

those were the fakest glasses I've ever seen.ain't no way those things can see thru people. ::) ;D

Howard

Written By: karen on 06/30/04 at 9:18 am

What exactly is "pinking," as in "to pink"?

I don't know exactly why pinking shears are called this.  They are scissors that cut a wiggly line in material to prevent the edge fraying.  According to my dictionary it may come from the Low German word pincken meaning 'to peck'

The word is also used to describe engine 'knock'

Written By: bbigd04 on 07/03/04 at 2:41 am

Often times toy companies post a disclaimer caption in their ads, such as "game pieces do not actually talk."  Maybe McD's would be advised to put "Dolls do not really change outfits when you squeeze them," or something.  Like little kids would read that, anyway. 
Eventually the purveyors of the product had to print a realistic illustration next to the fantasy illustration.
Anyway...

Yea i remember those sea monkeys, I got em in a toy store and I put all the crap in there and there was nothing to them. They died in like a week, couldn't see them anyway. Waste of 10 bucks.

Written By: Howard on 07/03/04 at 9:37 am

or how about those fake money machine makers where you'd put in a piece of paper and out came a real dollar bill?  ::)

Howard

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/03/04 at 2:45 pm

I don't know exactly why pinking shears are called this.  They are scissors that cut a wiggly line in material to prevent the edge fraying.  According to my dictionary it may come from the Low German word pincken meaning 'to peck'

The word is also used to describe engine 'knock'

That's what my dictionary says too.  I remember my mother's sewing kit always had those funny pinking shears. 

I've heard "pinging" for enginie knock, but not "pinking," could be though.

Howard wrote or how about those fake money machine makers where you'd put in a piece of paper and out came a real dollar bill? 
Uh, Howard, where did you see one of these, and where can I get one?!?!

BBIGD wrote
Yea i remember those sea monkeys, I got em in a toy store and I put all the crap in there and there was nothing to them. They died in like a week, couldn't see them anyway. Waste of 10 bucks.

I guess they wouldn't sell so good with a more realistic name, like "Floating Bits of Scum."
;D

Written By: Don Carlos on 07/03/04 at 5:32 pm

We went to McDonalds at the weekend and the children both had a Happy Meal.  My daughter suddenly became upset when she was playing with the doll she got. 

I asked her why and she said that on the TV advert when the girl squeezed the doll her clothes her changed into what the doll was wearing.  Elizabeth had squeezed her doll and she was still wearing her jeans and a t-shirt , not a purple boob tube. blue skirt and a floral afghan style coat.  She really expected her clothes to change!  I guess the 'magic' of television is hard to understand when you're five.

Ordinarilly I don't read much here, but the Brando thread brought me, and yours seemed interesting.

Get a commission lawyer (who will work for no fee but a part of the spoils) as SUE THEIR PANTS OFF!!!  You would have to also name the agency that produced the ad.  By the way, I charge a $1 fee for unprofessional legal advice  ;).

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/03/04 at 5:57 pm

Kinda reminds me of them old X-ray glasses I bought from MAD magazine   What a CROCK!  I couldn't see any nakedness 

those were the fakest glasses I've ever seen.ain't no way those things can see thru people. ::) ;D

Howard

Wow!  You bought those X-ray Specs?  I always wondered if they worked or not.

They also used to sell a filter that you could put over your Black&White TV screen so that you could see the picture in color.  I never bought one of them though.  I was too young and did not have the dough.  I wonder if they really worked?

LB

http://www.olywa.net/blame/how/how4.GIF

Written By: saver on 07/03/04 at 8:31 pm

Those funny /useless gags are still out there along with some frightful ones.

Went on Yahoo and entered April Fools..the first or second site has gag gifts...something new are the 'shocking roulette' games. You and another (3 others) put your finger in gimmick and push the button...it will land on one and shock them!

Iloved those in other forms, however they warn if you have a heart condition, you can't play....I think everyone may qualify or a good lawyer would find one that you didn't know about..

I guess that's why amusement park -FUN and/or Spook Houses were obsolete! 

Other gags are listed as well... Enjoy.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/03/04 at 10:54 pm

Wow!  You bought those X-ray Specs?  I always wondered if they worked or not.

They also used to sell a filter that you could put over your Black&White TV screen so that you could see the picture in color.  I never bought one of them though.  I was too young and did not have the dough.  I wonder if they really worked?

LB

My friend was talking about some kind of a filter like that recently.  When he was a kid, the doorman in the lobby of his building had a tri-color filter over the little black and white TV in his booth.  Pretty funky looking. 

Written By: Howard on 07/04/04 at 11:12 am

They don't advertize anymore.All you had to do was put in a blank sheet of paper and put it thru the machine and crank the lever slowly till you see a dollar bill come out thru the other side.It was phony. ::)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 07/04/04 at 11:17 am

http://i19.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/0e/15/30_1_b.JPG

What about this bill right here? ^^ ???

Howard

Written By: saver on 07/04/04 at 2:59 pm

Y'ever notice how those Happy Meal packets or toys the burger restaurants sell you are basically dolls promoting the current kids movies?

Why don't they help with child development and give away toy microscopes and toy rockets or trucks that you can load little items into that would encourage kids to future jobs?? :-\\

WHEN I GROW UP I WANT TO BE.....UH,.........SHREK!!!!

Written By: Dagwood on 07/04/04 at 5:48 pm

http://i19.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/0e/15/30_1_b.JPG

What about this bill right here? ^^ ???

Howard

$2 bills are valid currency, Howard.  There just aren't that many in circulation.  I am not even sure they make them anymore.

Written By: Chrisrj on 07/07/04 at 4:35 am

That's nothing.  One time, when I was 6, there was a Butterfinger ad that had a guy moving his thumb over the U in BUTTERFINGER and it changed into an E, making it a BETTERFINGER.  Well I actually tried that at a store and it didn't happen.

IMO, I think people just shouldn't bother having their young impressionable children watch tv.  They should wait until they were a few years older and know better.

Oh yeah, and the $2 bills do exist.  When I go to the recycling bin with my family on occasion, the guys in the bin usually pay us with $2 bills, and I got one about a month ago coming home from seattle.  So, yes, they're still being printed.

Check for new replies or respond here...