inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Any help for party music for engagement party?

Written By: Bobby on 06/28/04 at 6:06 pm

Hello all. I have a question that I'm sure some of you folks can help me with . . .

I have recently got engaged to my girlfriend of about 2 years or so (I took my time  ;D)  and we are going to have an engagement party. I figured we don't need a disc-jockey as I have a decent stack system but I need some help with suggestions for party music.

Anything from any time will be well recieved. I think we are more stuck on modern music as we have the obvious YMCA, Macarena (not my choice) and 'Saturday Night' by Whigfield (again not my choice) that are good to dance to and, importantly, to have a cracking party.

Any help will be more than appreciated.  :)

Subject: Re: Any help for party music for engagement party?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/28/04 at 6:23 pm

You gotta dance with your finacee to Bryan Adams, "Have you Ever Loved a Woman." She will love you for it-trust me on this.  ;)

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 06/28/04 at 6:48 pm

You gotta dance with your finacee to Bryan Adams, "Have you Ever Loved a Woman." She will love you for it-trust me on this.  ;)

Yeah? I know she likes Bryan Adams. I'll ask her.  :)

Written By: womberty on 06/28/04 at 6:52 pm

All I can think of are "don't"s for an engagement party/wedding. If you've seen the wedding scene in Love, Actually, you might kinda know what I'm talking about - playing "Bye, Bye Baby" doesn't exactly make sense for that occasion.  ;)  I would avoid cheating and breakup songs, such as Uncle Kracker's "Follow Me" (actually heard this at a friend's wedding, at the reception!) and, if you listen closely to the lyrics, even "Hey Ya!" by OutKast isn't really appropriate (though it's a popular dance tune right now).

Written By: Rice_Cube on 06/28/04 at 7:07 pm

It's about time, Bobby :)  Congratulations.

How about Foreigner's "Waiting For a Girl Like You"?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/28/04 at 7:12 pm

All I can think of are "don't"s for an engagement party/wedding. If you've seen the wedding scene in Love, Actually, you might kinda know what I'm talking about - playing "Bye, Bye Baby" doesn't exactly make sense for that occasion.  ;)  I would avoid cheating and breakup songs, such as Uncle Kracker's "Follow Me" (actually heard this at a friend's wedding, at the reception!) and, if you listen closely to the lyrics, even "Hey Ya!" by OutKast isn't really appropriate (though it's a popular dance tune right now).

That is true that there are a lot of "NOTS". For some strange reason, the DJ at my wedding played "I will Survive". As much as I love the song, somehow I don't exactly assocate it with a wedding.  ???

Cat

Written By: Bobby on 06/28/04 at 7:16 pm

That is true that there are a lot of "NOTS". For some strange reason, the DJ at my wedding played "I will Survive". As much as I love the song, somehow I don't exactly assocate it with a wedding.  ???

Yes, this is my problem. Some songs may not be suitable despite their danceability factor.  :-\\  :)

Written By: Bobby on 06/28/04 at 7:17 pm

It's about time, Bobby :)  Congratulations.

How about Foreigner's "Waiting For a Girl Like You"?

Thank you very much, Rice Cube.

I am embarrassed to say this (being the 80s-a-phile that I am) but I have never heard that song. I will take a listen.  :)

Written By: Paul on 06/28/04 at 7:31 pm

Ah! That first step in making a honest pair out of each other...congratulations, both...!

Rather than trawl through countless song titles (we'd be on Page 4 by the time I've finished...!), I'll just say this...

If it's the modern stuff you're stuck on, then probably your best bet is to lay your hands on any 'Now' or 'Hits' concoction, which should keep most of the young-ish punters happy...

The old 'un's are also pretty well catered for with countless loads of 60s, 70's and (dare I say) 80s compilations aplenty...

The simple answer is to basically throw half-dozen of these together - things should go pretty swimmingly...at any rate, if anyone's going to be over-critical - then screw 'em! It's your party after all...

Hope things go great - once again, congratulations both of you...

Written By: Bobby on 06/28/04 at 7:43 pm

Ah! That first step in making a honest pair out of each other...congratulations, both...!

Rather than trawl through countless song titles (we'd be on Page 4 by the time I've finished...!), I'll just say this...

If it's the modern stuff you're stuck on, then probably your best bet is to lay your hands on any 'Now' or 'Hits' concoction, which should keep most of the young-ish punters happy...

The old 'un's are also pretty well catered for with countless loads of 60s, 70's and (dare I say) 80s compilations aplenty...

The simple answer is to basically throw half-dozen of these together - things should go pretty swimmingly...at any rate, if anyone's going to be over-critical - then screw 'em! It's your party after all...

Hope things go great - once again, congratulations both of you...

That's right, Paul - screw 'em if they don't like it. ;D

Thank you very much for your words of wisdom indeed. She's making an honest woman of me (he says with hoover in hand  ;D).

Written By: resinchaser on 06/28/04 at 8:00 pm

Congrats on the engagement Bobby :)

For dancing, you know you can never go wrong with "The Chicken Dance". I don't know the real name of the song but it's always a hit

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 06/28/04 at 8:04 pm

For dancing, you know you can never go wrong with "The Chicken Dance". I don't know the real name of the song but it's always a hit

;D  I was thinking more along the lines of Fat Boy Slim's "Praise You" :P

Congratulations Bobby!  How exciting this must be for the both of you. :)

Written By: karen on 06/29/04 at 3:37 am

Hi Ho Silver Lining was always a party favourite with us.  Also any of the Black Lace stuff such as Agadoo etc.  They always keep the grannies happy.  The Ketchup Song and the Cha-Cha Slide are more recent versions in the same vein.

Probably best to avoid Mambo number 5 though!

MTA do all the Brits get an invite??  ??? ;D

Written By: Bobby on 06/29/04 at 4:18 am

Thank you all for your suggestions ('Praise you' by Fatboy Slim, PopCultureGirl?  ;D).

As for Karen, yes I thought about Black Lace (can I use the song, 'We're having a gang-bang?  ;D  ;D). They are the most hated band ever until a party occurs (some people are cultural hypocrites). I reckon 'Agadoo' would be the best because this engagement is set in my girlfriend's parents house & garden. Doing the conga on a small stretch of garden would be a right challenge.  ;D

If any of you Brits can get down to Plymouth, you're all invited (as long as you can stand the cheesy music).

Written By: Hairspray on 06/29/04 at 10:27 am

Congratulations on your engagement!! :)

As for some good cheesy, sappy, lovey-dovey tunes, you can't go wrong with many of the tunes from the 1980's ultimate kings of the ballad Air Supply.
;)

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 06/29/04 at 3:35 pm

I'll go ahead and put in a plug for my own wedding song..Masterpiece by Atlantic Starr.  Always, also by them as well is also a good choice.
Those are both slow songs, obviously..but I'd say that any 'dance tunes' would be your choice of what you like to dance too..we used Paradise By The Dashboard Light at the reception..not sure it was a real "wedding song"..but, we liked it, and we're still together 12 years later! (So I guess he did "love me forever"... ;D)  We also used Friends  by Michael W. Smith..but again, that one was slow.. :-[
(Yeah, I know REAL helpful... :-[)

We never had an engagement party..but, Congratulations and good luck anyway!  :)

Written By: Howard on 06/29/04 at 4:20 pm

Good Luck Bob in your engagement! :) How about I'm Coming Out- Diana Ross

Howard

Written By: Bobby on 06/29/04 at 6:23 pm

Darnit!  I knew someone would beat me to it :D  How about REO Speedwagon's "I Can't Fight This Feeling" or Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight"?

Some nice thoughts there 80s cheerleader.  :)

Thank you all kindly for your messages.  :D

Written By: Bobby on 06/29/04 at 6:24 pm

Congratulations on your engagement!! :)

As for some good cheesy, sappy, lovey-dovey tunes, you can't go wrong with many of the tunes from the 1980's ultimate kings of the ballad Air Supply.
;)

'All out of love' - lol. It's the only song I know from Air Supply.  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 06/29/04 at 6:26 pm

I'll go ahead and put in a plug for my own wedding song..Masterpiece by Atlantic Starr.  Always, also by them as well is also a good choice.
Those are both slow songs, obviously..but I'd say that any 'dance tunes' would be your choice of what you like to dance too..we used Paradise By The Dashboard Light at the reception..not sure it was a real "wedding song"..but, we liked it, and we're still together 12 years later! (So I guess he did "love me forever"... ;D)  We also used Friends  by Michael W. Smith..but again, that one was slow.. :-[
(Yeah, I know REAL helpful... :-[)

We never had an engagement party..but, Congratulations and good luck anyway!  :)

I will look out for these songs, Goonie. I do want to keep the romantic stuff at a minimum because I realise there may be single people there who could get uncomfortable with the overwhelming lovey-dovey ness.

If you know any miscellaneous songs that you all really loved to dance to, that would help me more than you know.  :)

Written By: Bobby on 06/29/04 at 6:27 pm

Good Luck Bob in your engagement! :) How about I'm Coming Out- Diana Ross

Thanks Howard. 'I'm coming out' (of the closet?) -  :-\\  ;D

Written By: pennsygirl on 06/30/04 at 1:56 pm

How about Always and Forever by Heatwave?  I know it 's a popular wedding song, but I think it would be good for an engagement party too.

If I didn't tell you before Bobby, congratulations on your engagement  :)

Written By: Bobby on 06/30/04 at 3:48 pm

How about Always and Forever by Heatwave?  I know it 's a popular wedding song, but I think it would be good for an engagement party too.

If I didn't tell you before Bobby, congratulations on your engagement  :)

Thank you for your suggestion, pennysgirl and the congrats.  :)

Written By: Howard on 06/30/04 at 6:45 pm

Kylie Minogue-Can't get You Out Of My Head

or how about some FUNK music if you'd like?

Bootsy Collins-Stretchin Out In a Rubber Band

Fatback-I Like Girls

Rick James-Give It To Me Baby

Howard

Written By: Hairspray on 06/30/04 at 10:45 pm

'All out of love' - lol. It's the only song I know from Air Supply.  ;D

Oh my!! ???

You need some help. I'll post this to get you started. Don't worry, they are all excellent tunes!! Trust me. :)

By 1980, Air Supply had finally cracked the U.S. market. An L.P. titled "Lost In Love" was released and contained 3 songs that would hit the top five on U.S. charts. "Lost In Love" hit # 3 (5/3/80), "Every Woman In The World" went to # 5 (12/31/80) and "All Out Of Love" made it to # 2 (9/13/81). These would be the first of eight Top #5 chart hits for Air Supply. America could not get enough of the 'Australian Boys', and album reached Multi-Platinum status.

Critics called Air Supply, the most "Successful Pop Group" and "Best Pop Group" of 1981, and the boys received awards for most played song, and won many awards for outstanding achievements. Soon, the American Top 40 and Radio Stations throughout the US, joined in. The number of fans grew and Graham continued to compose, and the more he composed the more hits followed.

1981, saw even further success as "The One That You Love" album claimed #2 on the US album charts. The singles "The One That You Love" #1 (8/8/81), "Here I Am" #5 (11/21/81) and "Sweet Dreams" # 5 (3/20/82), were enjoyed by millions of Americans, making Air Supply's 6th album go Multi-Platinum. The BIM Award was presented to Air Supply in honour of "The One That You Love".

In 1982, "Now and Forever" was released, but stalled at # 25 on the album charts (8/2/82). The first single from the album "Even the Nights Are Better" made it to #5 (9/4/82), but the follow ups, "Young Love" only managed # 38 (10/23/82) and "Two Less Lonely People In The World" also died at #38 (1/8/83). Despite the lower chart numbers, "Now and Forever" claimed yet another Multi-Platinum award.

It seemed that the record buying public couldn't get enough of "Air Supply" and in 1983, Air Supply's the Greatest Hits reached #7 (8/18/83) and the song "Making Love Out Of Nothing At All" stayed at #2, for 2 weeks (10/8/83).

The second album named, "Air Supply", claimed # 26 on the album charts and the single "Just As I Am" reached # 19 (7/29/85). VH1, gave "Just As I Am" the # 1 video award for 1985.

Despite the success of Air Supply, the music field was at a turning point and soft love ballads were on their way out. The media quickly switched to what the people were growing into and the album, "Power Of Love" could only manage #60 (8/24/85).

In 1986, "Hearts in Motion", stopped at #84 and the single "Lonely Is The Night" could only reach #76 (9/6/86) while "One More Chance" quit at #80 (11/1/86).

Darn shame this type of tunes lost popularity in the late 80's. I believe this type of wholesome, good quality ballad music is necessary in the industry, even if only for the millions of romantic people out there and the special occasions they have in common.

* Note - My ultimate faves are in bold. ;)

Written By: Bobby on 07/01/04 at 5:23 am

Oh my!! ???

You need some help. I'll post this to get you started. Don't worry, they are all excellent tunes!! Trust me. :)

Thank you very much for the detailed information, Hairspray. I didn't realise how successful Air Supply were. I will spend some time downloading them to find out how they sound.  :)

Written By: Hairspray on 07/01/04 at 11:40 am

Thank you very much for the detailed information, Hairspray.

You're very welcome, Bobby. :)

Written By: pennsygirl on 07/01/04 at 11:43 am

I know alot of people really aren't into Lionel Ritchie, but he has a lot of songs to choose from that would be great for an engagement party.

Written By: Hairspray on 07/01/04 at 11:53 am

I know alot of people really aren't into Lionel Ritchie, but he has a lot of songs to choose from that would be great for an engagement party.

Yeah, in his ballad dept. I especially like "You Are" (not too much of a ballad actually :D), "Hello", "Stuck On You" and my two absolute favorites "Truly" and "Love Will Conquer All".

Written By: pennsygirl on 07/01/04 at 12:16 pm

Yeah, in his ballad dept. I especially like "You Are" (not too much of a ballad actually :D), "Hello", "Stuck On You" and my two absolute favorites "Truly" and "Love Will Conquer All".

Good choices Hairspray!  I also like Penny Lover and My Love from way back.

Written By: Bobby on 07/01/04 at 4:47 pm

I chose 'Dancing on the ceiling'.  ;D

Written By: pennsygirl on 07/02/04 at 8:09 am

I chose 'Dancing on the ceiling'.  ;D

Well, maybe after a couple of drinks  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/02/04 at 8:33 am

How about Marc Cohn's "True Companion" ?  Excellent wedding party tune for a slow dance.

Lyrics here: http://www.romantic-lyrics.com/lt68.shtml

Or for a wild dance-floor move after all the guests are liquored up, how about "White Wedding" by Billy Idol or "Little Red Corvette" by Prince?

Written By: TripsMom on 07/02/04 at 11:04 am

Congratulations Bobby.
Is this party only for your age group? Or are your parents, older relatives going to be there? If so, throw in a little swing music. It's alway fun to watch the older folks dance after a couple of drinks too.

Written By: Bobby on 07/02/04 at 7:15 pm

Well, maybe after a couple of drinks  ;D ;D ;D

Heh heh.  ;D

Written By: Bobby on 07/02/04 at 7:19 pm

How about Marc Cohn's "True Companion" ?  Excellent wedding party tune for a slow dance.

Lyrics here: http://www.romantic-lyrics.com/lt68.shtml

Or for a wild dance-floor move after all the guests are liquored up, how about "White Wedding" by Billy Idol or "Little Red Corvette" by Prince?

I thought of 'Little Red Corvette' by Prince but I'm not sure it will suit. The party has a 'Saturday night by Whigfield' mentality (bleugh). There were a lot of songs I seriously wanted in my tracklist but my girlfriend dismissed some (yet she thought 'Life is a rollercoaster' by Ronan Keating to be more apt - sheesh).

White Wedding sounds like a cool idea - I might put that thought across to her later on.  :)

Written By: Bobby on 07/02/04 at 7:23 pm

Congratulations Bobby.
Is this party only for your age group? Or are your parents, older relatives going to be there? If so, throw in a little swing music. It's alway fun to watch the older folks dance after a couple of drinks too.

There is going to be different age groups, Tripsmom (but only two children are going to be there I believe). I have added 'Come on let's go' by Richie Valens (my girlfriend's mum went 'Huh?' Lol) and 'Locomotion' by Little Eva so far in the 50s music area . . .).

Check for new replies or respond here...