inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dan Gable...Best "Real" Wrestler Ever

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/29/04 at 10:53 pm

I really have nothing against the so-called "Pro" wrestling....I just don't share the belief of it's fans. Tonight on ESPN Classic they featured Dan Gable who is considered by many the best "Real" wrestler in history. He went through high school and college with a 182-1 record...won a gold medal in 1972 then coached Iowa to 15 national titles. I never followed wrestling much until my son Blaine started to compete in middle school....he won the city championship in 1997....and tonights show was a nice reminder of how much I enjoyed watching him in the real sport of wrestling and not the "entertainment" that is the WWE  ::) Has anyone else ever heard of Dan Gable? If you'd like, check out this link:

http://espn.go.com/classic/biography/s/Gable_Dan.html

Subject: Re: Dan Gable...Best "Real" Wrestler Ever

Written By: AL-B on 06/29/04 at 10:58 pm

I really have nothing against the so-called "Pro" wrestling....I just don't share the belief of it's fans. Tonight on ESPN Classic they featured Dan Gable who is considered by many the best "Real" wrestler in history. He went through high school and college with a 181-1 record...won a gold medal in 1972 then coached his college Iowa State to 15 national titles. I never followed wrestling much until my son Blaine started to compete in middle school....he won the city championship in 1997....and tonights show was a nice reminder of how much I enjoyed watching him in the real sport of wrestling and not the "entertainment" that is the WWE  ::) Has anyone else ever heard of Dan Gable? If you'd like, check out this link:

http://espn.go.com/classic/biography/s/Gable_Dan.html

Dan Gable had a wrestling seminar last year at my old high school. In the high school and collegiate wrestling world, this would be the equivalent of having Joe Montana show up at your high school and give your kids a class on football.

Written By: Harmonica on 06/30/04 at 10:28 am

I've met Dan Gable a numerous amount of times. Being from Iowa, and being the largest college wrestling fan that ever lived I suppose that's only natural. 

Dan Gable was the greatest wrestling coach of all time, but I don't know if he was the greatest wrestler.  Many people don't know this but Iowa State Coach Bobby Dougless tech falled Dan Gable 12-2 in a freestyle match after Gables senior year at Iowa State during a Freestyle Tournament. When Gable was a Freshman( and back then Freshman were not allowed to compete at NCAA level) Rick Sanders beat Gable at an open tournament as well. Gable was also pinned at a Freestyle tournament by some unknown guy from the Navy.

Among the greatest people like to say Cael Sanderson and bring up how he was never defeated 159-0 during his 4 years at Iowa State. However he lost one match his Redshirt year at the UNI Open to Paul Jenn 6-4. Funny thing about it is that Jenn never made All American, and never made a name for himself as a college wrestling star.

In my opinion the greatest wrestler of all time is Robin Reed, He never ever, not once got beat. Never saw defeat from his very first match till his very last he never lost. 

I know what I wrote seems like a bunch of jibberish from an obsessed fan, but if you ever have any questions or want to chat about amateur wrestling here on this board I'm your man.

By the way I also like Pro wrestling and you'd be surprised the number of pro's that were once amateur grapplers.

A few examples

Scott Steiner All American at Michigan 6th Place senior year NCAA championships 190lbs.
Rick Steiner Michigan holds fastest Pin Record of 15 seconds.
Sean Stasiak Boise State Varsity Wrestler.
Mike Rotundo Syracuse Varsity wrestler.
Barry Whindham Syracuse Varsity wrestler.
Bob Backlund 2x National Champion South Dakota State Hwt
Kurt Angle 3x National Finalist 2x National Champion Clarion University Hwt.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/30/04 at 10:35 am

I've met Dan Gable a numerous amount of times. Being from Iowa, and being the largest college wrestling fan that ever lived I suppose that's only natural. 

Dan Gable was the greatest wrestling coach of all time, but I don't know if he was the greatest wrestler.  Many people don't know this but Iowa State Coach Bobby Dougless tech falled Dan Gable 12-2 in a freestyle match after Gables senior year at Iowa State during a Freestyle Tournament. When Gable was a Freshman( and back then Freshman were not allowed to compete at NCAA level) Rick Sanders beat Gable at an open tournament as well. Gable was also pinned at a Freestyle tournament by some unknown guy from the Navy.

Among the greatest people like to say Cael Sanderson and bring up how he was never defeated 159-0 during his 4 years at Iowa State. However he lost one match his Redshirt year at the UNI Open to Paul Jenn 6-4. Funny thing about it is that Jenn never made All American, and never made a name for himself as a college wrestling star.

In my opinion the greatest wrestler of all time is Robin Reed, He never ever, not once got beat. Never saw defeat from his very first match till his very last he never lost. 

I know what I wrote seems like a bunch of jibberish from an obsessed fan, but if you ever have any questions or want to chat about amateur wrestling here on this board I'm your man.

By the way I also like Pro wrestling and you'd be surprised the number of pro's that were once amateur grapplers.

A few examples

Scott Steiner All American at Michigan 6th Place senior year NCAA championships 190lbs.
Rick Steiner Michigan holds fastest Pin Record of 15 seconds.
Sean Stasiak Boise State Varsity Wrestler.
Bob Backlund 2x National Champion South Dakota State Hwt
Kurt Angle 3x National Finalist 2x National Champion Clarion University Hwt.

Thanks for the info, Harmonica. It was not jibberish to me :) As for the "Pro" wrestlers....I can't believe how many people actually think it's real ::)

Written By: Bobby on 06/30/04 at 3:46 pm

Thanks for the info, Harmonica. It was not jibberish to me :) As for the "Pro" wrestlers....I can't believe how many people actually think it's real ::)

I love watching Pro Wrestling, RockandRollFan and know it is fake. That is why we spend so much time about Vince McMahon and his mediocre shows. Knowing he fixes bouts makes the fans more irritated by the quality of the storylines.  ::)

As for Dan Gable. I don't know him or Robin Reed. I only know so much coming from England.  ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 06/30/04 at 5:20 pm

I love watching Pro Wrestling, RockandRollFan and know it is fake. That is why we spend so much time about Vince McMahon and his mediocre shows. Knowing he fixes bouts makes the fans more irritated by the quality of the storylines.  ::)

As for Dan Gable. I don't know him or Robin Reed. I only know so much coming from England.  ;D
Bobby.....I meant no offense to you  :) I just think it's funny how so many people out there actually believe it's a real sport ::)

Written By: AL-B on 06/30/04 at 7:38 pm

I remember these guys used to be in a tag team together in the WWF in the early 80's. I had no idea they also were collegiate wrestlers together also. That's pretty cool!

Also I think Curt Hennig (Mr. Perfect) was an NCAA champion wrestler, although I don't know where...

Written By: AL-B on 06/30/04 at 7:39 pm

I remember these guys used to be in a tag team together in the WWF in the early 80's. I had no idea they were collegiate wrestlers together also. That's pretty cool!

Also I think Curt Hennig (Mr. Perfect) was an NCAA champion wrestler, although I don't know where...

Written By: Harmonica on 06/30/04 at 9:09 pm

I remember these guys used to be in a tag team together in the WWF in the early 80's. I had no idea they also were collegiate wrestlers together also. That's pretty cool!

Actually buddy, Curt Hennig didn't wrestler in college, although he wrestled in high school. He did however play Football at the University of Minnesota.

Written By: Bobby on 07/01/04 at 5:03 am

Bobby.....I meant no offense to you  :) I just think it's funny how so many people out there actually believe it's a real sport ::)

No offence taken at all, RockandRollFan. It's just, on the other side of the coin, some people think that if you like Pro Wrestling that you still haven't figured out it's fake yet.  ;D

The people you have mentioned are called Marks, RockandRollFan. These people believe that wrestling is 'real' in it's entirety. They also make the smart people who watch it for what it is look foolish. There are two things that people say to me after 'admitting' I like watching Pro Wrestling. One is 'Did you know that's fake?' and the other is 'Why do you spend your time watching muscular guys in spandex feel each other up?'

I often retort; 'I don't know mate, why do you spend time watching blokes in shorts kick balls about?'  :D

Written By: Bobby on 07/01/04 at 5:18 am

As much as I can't stand "Pro Wrestling", it actually is pretty athletic.  I mean, I don't think I could do half the stunts they do on there (like the backflips, body slams, etc.) ;)

This particular part of Pro Wrestling is real. The injury list is rarely hidden from the people watching. Everything else (booking, storylines . . .) is fake.  :)

Written By: Harmonica on 07/01/04 at 1:16 pm

Well, some of the injuries are fake ;)  But, no matter how "fake" it is, I sure as hell wouldn't want to be thrown onto a table or have a chair smashed on ANY part of my body :D

and to think this is what I want to do for a living.

Written By: AL-B on 07/01/04 at 6:43 pm

Actually buddy, Curt Hennig didn't wrestler in college, although he wrestled in high school. He did however play Football at the University of Minnesota.
OK, I wasn't sure.

Written By: Bobby on 07/01/04 at 7:52 pm

Well, some of the injuries are fake ;)  But, no matter how "fake" it is, I sure as hell wouldn't want to be thrown onto a table or have a chair smashed on ANY part of my body :D

Yes, punches and kicks are pulled back and there is a technique to being slammed. I believe there is a technique on how to do piledrivers as well.

Still, it's a tough business.

Written By: Howard on 07/01/04 at 8:43 pm

Yes, punches and kicks are pulled back and there is a technique to being slammed. I believe there is a technique on how to do piledrivers as well.

Still, it's a tough business.

And also the way people punch is by stomping their feet to create the sound effects. :)

Howard

Written By: Howard on 07/01/04 at 8:45 pm

This particular part of Pro Wrestling is real. The injury list is rarely hidden from the people watching. Everything else (booking, storylines . . .) is fake.  :)

When I was a little kid,I thought Wrestling was real. :D

Howard

Written By: Harmonica on 07/02/04 at 3:52 pm

Most of us did Howard

Written By: AL-B on 07/02/04 at 4:06 pm

I wouldn't call it "fake" as much as "choreographed." Yes, these matches are carefully orchestrated, but these guys still are beating the living crap out of each other, just in a controlled manner. You can't tell me that these pro wrestlers aren't feeling sore the day after a match.
     I think the storylines in the WWE are a lot cheesier than they were in the 80's but I also think that the skill and agility and athleticism of today's wrestlers is vastly superior than from 20 years ago. I don't follow the WWE very closely but when I do occasionally tune in I am amazed at the complexity of some of their mones.
     While he was still governor of Minnesota, a reporter once asked Jesse Ventura if he considered pro wrestling to be "sport" or "entertainment." He replied, "Neither...it's an art form." I laughed at this notion at first, but after giving it some thought I came to agree with him.

Written By: Bobby on 07/02/04 at 7:14 pm

I wouldn't call it "fake" as much as "choreographed." Yes, these matches are carefully orchestrated, but these guys still are beating the living crap out of each other, just in a controlled manner. You can't tell me that these pro wrestlers aren't feeling sore the day after a match.
    I think the storylines in the WWE are a lot cheesier than they were in the 80's but I also think that the skill and agility and athleticism of today's wrestlers is vastly superior than from 20 years ago. I don't follow the WWE very closely but when I do occasionally tune in I am amazed at the complexity of some of their moves.

I agree with all this.

While he was still governor of Minnesota, a reporter once asked Jesse Ventura if he considered pro wrestling to be "sport" or "entertainment." He replied, "Neither...it's an art form." I laughed at this notion at first, but after giving it some thought I came to agree with him.

I also agree with this statement.

Written By: Harmonica on 07/21/04 at 9:00 am

Here are some pictures of former Amateur wrestling greats

Cael Sanderson(University of Iowa State 4x NCAA Champion while as a varsity wrestler went 159-0)
Danny Hodge (Only wrestler to grace Sports Illistruated and Won 3 National Titles going undefeated)
Alexander Karelin (Russian Sensation 4x Olympic Finalist winning 3 Golds and 1 Silver. World Champion multiple times)
Pat Smith (Oklahoma State First 4x NCAA Champion. Only had 5 losses in career)

Check for new replies or respond here...