inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Have Any WinMX-ers Gotten Into Legal Trouble For Downloading Yet?

Written By: Hairspray on 07/01/04 at 11:45 am

I'm becoming paranoid about downloading anymore. :-\\

Does anyone have the skinny on the situation lately?

Thanks in advance.

Subject: Re: Have Any WinMX-ers Gotten Into Legal Trouble For Downloading Yet?

Written By: Paul on 07/01/04 at 1:40 pm

Nothing to report here (and unlike cheerleader I'm a provider as well as a nabber...) - and I certainly haven't heard much about things from anywhere else...

If the legal bods in the record companies feel like sueing me - great! They won't half be annoyed when they find out I'm not worth anything...!!

That said, knowing what our wonderful legal system's like, I'll probably be worm food before any writ comes flying my way...!!

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/01/04 at 1:54 pm

I haven't heard anything about WinMx, only about Kazaa users.  I still download & I ALWAYS share my music.  If we all stopped sharing there would be no more P2P programs - then we'd all have to go back to spending boatloads of money on a CD's. ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/01/04 at 2:32 pm

I've heard of another round of people getting busted....$3,000 each in fines...but I heard they've only nabbed around 50-65 people.

Written By: DJ Midas on 07/01/04 at 3:24 pm

I haven't heard anything...haven't been busted either. 8)  Most of the tunes I download aren't available or are hard-to-find in the retail market anyway.

Written By: Bobby on 07/01/04 at 3:35 pm

I've heard of another round of people getting busted....$3,000 each in fines...but I heard they've only nabbed around 50-65 people.

They must be the most unfortunate 50-65 people on earth.  ;D

I am a provider as well as a taker. I have recently bought a load of CDs to compensate for some of my takings. I have not heard anything about the RIAA and England though (it's probably only a matter of time  ::)).

I may remove my files in the future if it gets serious.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/01/04 at 4:09 pm

I can't figure out how to delete my account on kaaza....or winMX :-\\

Written By: Bobby on 07/01/04 at 4:38 pm

I can't figure out how to delete my account on kaaza....or winMX :-\\

What do you mean? Do you just mean removing it from your computer (just simply uninstall Kazaa from the control panel section on Windows) or removing your files from the shared folder (go to 'My Kazaa', click on file import, click 'folder list' and uncheck all of the files in your folder. WinMX has a similar system. :)

Written By: Bobby on 07/01/04 at 4:44 pm

Hey all!  I've tried sharing my files, but everytime I try, the person who is trying to dl from me gets an error (I tried having my SIL's dl a song after I "shared" the folder)???  If anyone would like to help me fix this, I'd have no problems sharing.

Do you mean that you have removed the share folder before the person is trying to download from you? If so, you have to be sharing the folder continuously while you are on Kazaa.

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/01/04 at 4:49 pm

Hey all!  I've tried sharing my files, but everytime I try, the person who is trying to dl from me gets an error (I tried having my SIL's dl a song after I "shared" the folder)???  If anyone would like to help me fix this, I'd have no problems sharing.

You mean someone was able to FIND you on Kazaa? ???  That's almost IMPOSSIBLE!  I have tried so many ways to find people & vice versa, but with the different nodes & all of the mulitple users - no luck.  I even tried re-naming files with really weird names (that noone else would have) and nothin!

If anyone can tell me how to find a person on Kazaa, let me know! 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/01/04 at 5:05 pm

What do you mean? Do you just mean removing it from your computer (just simply uninstall Kazaa from the control panel section on Windows) or removing your files from the shared folder (go to 'My Kazaa', click on file import, click 'folder list' and uncheck all of the files in your folder. WinMX has a similar system. :)

Yeah, Bobby....I can get it off my system and I can delete all the files but....back in 2001 is when I joined Kaaza...I hadn't used it until a few months ago on a completely different computer...my username and password still worked. I want to delete ALL my info and clear my name off of there.....

Written By: Bobby on 07/01/04 at 5:09 pm

Yeah, Bobby....I can get it off my system and I can delete all the files but....back in 2001 is when I joined Kaaza...I hadn't used it until a few months ago on a completely different computer...my username and password still worked. I want to delete ALL my info and clear my name off of there.....

Did they have accounts back then? I just used a fake name and a fake e-mail and away I go.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/01/04 at 11:06 pm

Did they have accounts back then? I just used a fake name and a fake e-mail and away I go.
Yep...I can't get deleted from it :-[

Written By: Jessica on 07/02/04 at 12:02 am

I just signed up for WinMX (still looking for that damned Cure song :P), and I don't really give a flying monkey's butt if the corporate pigs/government come after me. They won't get much out of me if they do try and sue me. ;D

Written By: Bobby on 07/02/04 at 7:35 pm

Actually, it was WinMX.  And, that's what I did, I renamed the file and they found it, tried to download it and got some error message that the user was behind a firewall or something...it was a while ago, I can't remember what the exact message said...

If you are downloading yourself and you get that message then you may have to configure your options on your Anti-Virus software you use (firewall blocks the ports needed for downloading/uploading).

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/06/04 at 7:24 am

Well I know in my case, I have to disable my Firewall completely, before I can even open Kazaa.  I don't know, Cheer why that is happening to you, it MUST be something in your settings.  But then again, I don't use WinMX too often (cuz I can never find crap on there).  Try switching to Kazaa and see if that works.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/06/04 at 2:19 pm

Well I know in my case, I have to disable my Firewall completely, before I can even open Kazaa.  I don't know, Cheer why that is happening to you, it MUST be something in your settings.  But then again, I don't use WinMX too often (cuz I can never find crap on there).  Try switching to Kazaa and see if that works.
I dunno, PoP....I have been able to find a lot of things on winMX that I couldn't find on Kaaza...Also...for me, Kaaza put a TON of crap on my system and really slowe it down! I also still don't know how to delete my name...username, account, ect. Help??

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/06/04 at 7:31 pm

Also...for me, Kaaza put a TON of crap on my system and really slowe it down! I also still don't know how to delete my name...username, account, ect. Help??

Thats why I use Kazaa Lite - no pop-ups or ads therefore it doesn't slow my system down!! ;) 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/06/04 at 10:36 pm

Thats why I use Kazaa Lite - no pop-ups or ads therefore it doesn't slow my system down!! ;) 
Oh, okay :) So...How do I delete my account completely?

Written By: Bobby on 07/07/04 at 6:55 pm

I didn't think you could get that anymore???  When I went to the website, all it gave me were links for WinMX and some others.

It is now called Kazaa Ressurection, 80s cheerleader, and you can download it (free of ads and pop-ups) from this site:

http://www.filesharingplace.com/p2pclients.php

Written By: annieox03 on 07/07/04 at 9:43 pm

Winmx is great. I share as well, when I have the time. Never did kazaa...too many eyes watching that one. They got a newer version of Win by the way, :)

Jessica, what Cure song are you looking for?

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/07/04 at 9:56 pm

Oh, okay :) So...How do I delete my account completely?

I have no clue, I don't have an "account" with Kazaa, I just use a fake username that I can change or delete at anytime under "Options". 

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/07/04 at 9:59 pm

I didn't think you could get that anymore???  When I went to the website, all it gave me were links for WinMX and some others.

I had an old version of Kazaa Lite++ on my computer but I caught a nasty virus and had to reload everything.  I couldn't find Kazaa Lite so I had a friend send me a copy of it.  Hint:  "our fearless leader" (you follow me?) ;)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/08/04 at 6:52 pm

I have no clue, I don't have an "account" with Kazaa, I just use a fake username that I can change or delete at anytime under "Options". 
I feel embarrassed because I didn't have an "Account" either...Thanks Pop :)

Written By: Bobby on 07/08/04 at 9:04 pm

I feel embarrassed because I didn't have an "Account" either...Thanks Pop :)

Lol. I thought you didn't RockandRollFan. All you have to do is uninstall the software if you choose never to use Kazaa again. You don't even put a real e-mail in the 'e-mail' section. Of course, anonymity can be a bad thing as well as a good thing.  ::)

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/08/04 at 9:07 pm

Lol. I thought you didn't RockandRollFan. All you have to do is uninstall the software if you choose never to use Kazaa again. You don't even put a real e-mail in the 'e-mail' section. Of course, anonymity can be a bad thing as well as a good thing.  ::)
True, Bobby! Hey, does the name thing have anything to do with not being able to sign onto a different computer and keeping the files you already downloaded...even though it's your account??

Written By: PaperGirl on 07/08/04 at 9:15 pm

I use it, but rarely.  With Dialup its a PITA to wait and wait. 

I highly doubt I would ever get caught.  I dont have enough on this computer to make a difference. 

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/08/04 at 9:55 pm

True, Bobby! Hey, does the name thing have anything to do with not being able to sign onto a different computer and keeping the files you already downloaded...even though it's your account??

No, because the songs are stored on your computer's hard drive.  Meaning, if you switch to a different computer, you'll need to either start over, or transfer the files from the old comp. 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/08/04 at 10:48 pm

No, because the songs are stored on your computer's hard drive.  Meaning, if you switch to a different computer, you'll need to either start over, or transfer the files from the old comp. 
I am embarressed yet AGAIN :-[ ::) ;)

Written By: Bobby on 07/09/04 at 8:16 am

And you can add/subtract files for sharing as much as you want going into the 'import files' in the 'My KLR' section.

Yes PopCultureGirl is right. When you sign onto a different computer, you have to reinstall Kazaa again anyway, therefore you will be reset to 0 files regardless of what your 'name' is. The name you use on kazaa is only to identify where people are getting their files from and isn't an account - this means you can sign in a different name (on the same computer) and still share the same amount of files.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/09/04 at 8:49 am

And you can add/subtract files for sharing as much as you want going into the 'import files' in the 'My KLR' section.

Yes PopCultureGirl is right. When you sign onto a different computer, you have to reinstall Kazaa again anyway, therefore you will be reset to 0 files regardless of what your 'name' is. The name you use on kazaa is only to identify where people are getting their files from and isn't an account - this means you can sign in a different name (on the same computer) and still share the same amount of files.
Thanks for the help, Bobby :)

Written By: Bobby on 07/09/04 at 4:18 pm

Thanks for the help, Bobby :)

No worries.  :D

Subject: REGARDIN G DOWNLOADING MUSIC!!

Written By: Jenny on 07/20/04 at 2:39 am

:-X ;D :)

I believe that Downloading music is the best thing in the world, I will never ever buy another cd again. To all the artists that are getting all pissy about it, and running there stupied commercials.... WA WA WA!! They are so pathetic and dispicable, they make more money then I will ever see im my lifetime. I will keep downloading, and if I were ever to get sued they wouldnt get a penny from me, so the can Kiss my white ass!!

Subject: Re: REGARDIN G DOWNLOADING MUSIC!!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/20/04 at 10:30 pm

I believe that Downloading music is the best thing in the world, I will never ever buy another cd again. To all the artists that are getting all pissy about it, and running there stupied commercials.... WA WA WA!! They are so pathetic and dispicable, they make more money then I will ever see im my lifetime. I will keep downloading, and if I were ever to get sued they wouldnt get a penny from me, so the can Kiss my white a**!!
Hey....it's ME....LOSER LARS...I don't have enough leer jets so I destroyed Napster so no one can enjoy any music without paying a ridiculous amount for it! BTW....I hate tom petty for fighting the record industry
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/850000/images/_852283_lars_ulrich150.jpg

Written By: Fred on 07/22/04 at 2:26 am

IMO, WinMX stinks. I use Kazaa because I become frustrated with WinMX. I'm not too worried about being caught, but you never know...

Written By: Bobby on 07/22/04 at 4:52 am

IMO, WinMX stinks. I use Kazaa because I become frustrated with WinMX. I'm not too worried about being caught, but you never know...

It depends on what you are after, Fred. There are a lot of pop videos on WinMX and there is a nice selection of audio on there. The great thing about WinMX is you know how long you have to go in the queue (as you don't in Kazaa). I do think that WinMX could look better though . . .

Written By: Powerslave on 07/22/04 at 7:06 am

I believe that Downloading music is the best thing in the world, I will never ever buy another cd again. To all the artists that are getting all pissy about it, and running there stupied commercials.... WA WA WA!! They are so pathetic and dispicable, they make more money then I will ever see im my lifetime. I will keep downloading, and if I were ever to get sued they wouldnt get a penny from me, so the can Kiss my white a**!!

What about all the artists who are still on their second or third album and still owe their record label a ton of money from recording and touring advances for the first and second albums? How are they going to get that money back if no one buys their CDs? Short answer: they won't. They'll be cut loose from their contract, owing the labels thousands, possibly even millions of dollars. I've raised this point in the past but everyone keeps ignoring it. RNR Fan keeps bringing Lars up everytime he talks about this, but downloading Metallica songs isn't going to hurt him, and he knows it. The reason he made a stand against downloading in the first place was to raise awareness of the impact it will have on up-and-coming artists in the future. He got to be a mega-rich superstar because millions of people bought his records. But if people continue to download music instead of buying it, eventually it will only be mega-rich superstars who have already sold millions of CDs who will be able to afford to record them. Artists can only afford to record quality stuff in the first place by receiving advance payments from the record companies -- money that has to be paid back through sales. If they don't sell, they can't pay it back and they end up ruined. So download Metallica all you like if it makes you feel better, but great CD by that rising new talent you really like? Buy a copy so they can make another one some day.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/22/04 at 4:44 pm

What about all the artists who are still on their second or third album and still owe their record label a ton of money from recording and touring advances for the first and second albums? How are they going to get that money back if no one buys their CDs? Short answer: they won't. They'll be cut loose from their contract, owing the labels thousands, possibly even millions of dollars. I've raised this point in the past but everyone keeps ignoring it. RNR Fan keeps bringing Lars up everytime he talks about this, but downloading Metallica songs isn't going to hurt him, and he knows it. The reason he made a stand against downloading in the first place was to raise awareness of the impact it will have on up-and-coming artists in the future. He got to be a mega-rich superstar because millions of people bought his records. But if people continue to download music instead of buying it, eventually it will only be mega-rich superstars who have already sold millions of CDs who will be able to afford to record them. Artists can only afford to record quality stuff in the first place by receiving advance payments from the record companies -- money that has to be paid back through sales. If they don't sell, they can't pay it back and they end up ruined. So download Metallica all you like if it makes you feel better, but great CD by that rising new talent you really like? Buy a copy so they can make another one some day.
I like Tom Petty and his stance on downloading....he knows the record companies are slime and fights for the little guy....Lars is just as @ss who doesn't care about anything but his pockets being filled :P

Written By: Powerslave on 07/23/04 at 12:51 am

Like Lars Ulrich, Tom Petty can afford to do whatever he wants. If a see a few musicians with the bums out of their pants, wearing cardboard boxes on their feet and without two coins to rub together standing up and saying they don't mind people stealing their music because it's art, not a commodity, then I'll change my tune. But until then, I will continue to believe that music downloads hurt the "little guy". And they do.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/23/04 at 10:25 pm

At least Tom took on the record execs and cut the price of HIS LP back in the 80's....Lars doesn't give a flying f-ck.  ::)

Written By: Bobby on 07/26/04 at 4:56 pm

Hey....it's ME....LOSER LARS...I don't have enough leer jets so I destroyed Napster so no one can enjoy any music without paying a ridiculous amount for it! BTW....I hate tom petty for fighting the record industry
http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/850000/images/_852283_lars_ulrich150.jpg

LMAO!!!  ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/26/04 at 6:04 pm

LMAO!!!  ;D
Thanks for appreciating my sense of humor, Bobby!

Written By: Bobby on 07/26/04 at 7:10 pm

Thanks for appreciating my sense of humor, Bobby!

I have a wicked sense of humour. I try not to show it too much in case someone takes me too literally.  ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/26/04 at 8:02 pm

I have a wicked sense of humour. I try not to show it too much in case someone takes me too literally.  ;D
I can certainly understand that, Bobby :)

Written By: Bobby on 07/28/04 at 4:47 pm

I can certainly understand that, Bobby :)

I like your ability to express yourself (especially through humour). As well as making a point, you make us laugh as well.  ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/28/04 at 5:00 pm

I like your ability to express yourself (especially through humour). As well as making a point, you make us laugh as well.  ;D
Thanks again...although not everyone likes it, I DO appreciate the kinds words here and there :)

Check for new replies or respond here...