inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ridiculous Video Games!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/01/04 at 2:08 pm

I watched something on ESPN last night and they were talking about a new video baseball game....it features more violence than ever before. You can "Punch" and fight with each other....for no apparent reason. The sad part is, it's endorsed by Major League Baseball....and they refused to comment for the story. I think kids are exposed to more than enough violence in this world. Now they have to start messing with sports..which I know can be viloent...but this is ridiculous ::)

Subject: Re: Ridiculous Viedeo Games!

Written By: AL-B on 07/01/04 at 6:49 pm

Speaking of ridiculous video games, there is actually a game called "Backyard Football." Why not just give your kid a @%$?ing FOOTBALL instead?!?  Crap like this makes me wonder if America is going to be conquered within the next 20 years.

Written By: lebeiw15 on 07/01/04 at 8:59 pm

I hate virtual sports and stuff.  I am not a big fan of playing sports, but for example, I love golf and I would rather go out in the fresh air and actual PLAY the actual GAME than play a golf video game.. the real thing is much more challenging :P

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/01/04 at 9:17 pm

I hate virtual sports and stuff.  I am not a big fan of playing sports, but for example, I love golf and I would rather go out in the fresh air and actual PLAY the actual GAME than play a golf video game.. the real thing is much more challenging :P
I LOVE to play golf! Last week though on a Denver AM Sports Station, a couple guys were fighting about which sport was more "Manly"....Tennis or Golf. One said Golf because when people think of golf they think of guys and when they talk tennis it's based more on the ladies.  I think Tennis is much more physical than golf but enjoy both :)

Written By: Jessica on 07/02/04 at 12:05 am

I don't really play sports games. I stick to Rainbow Six 3 and Grand Theft Auto and such. You know, things you'd like to do in real life, but never have the balls to actually DO. ;D

Sports games just bore me. :P

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/02/04 at 7:15 am

I don't really play sports games. I stick to Rainbow Six 3 and Grand Theft Auto and such. You know, things you'd like to do in real life, but never have the balls to actually DO. ;D

Ditto!  I also like games like Splinter Cell & Prince of Persia - you know games that make you really think. ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/02/04 at 11:28 am

I don't get sports games-out of lack of interest for them. I also REFUSE to get games that you are killing people. I really hate those. It is one thing when you are killing demands, ghosts, and such-they are not real. But, I have seen some video games that are so real and you have to kill people. I can't imagine parents letting kids play these-to me it teaches kids that it is ok to kill. Can't think of any games specificly off hand because I do have them nor will I EVER!

Ok, off my soap box now.

Cat

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/05/04 at 10:52 pm

I don't get sports games-out of lack of interest for them. I also REFUSE to get games that you are killing people. I really hate those. It is one thing when you are killing demands, ghosts, and such-they are not real. But, I have seen some video games that are so real and you have to kill people. I can't imagine parents letting kids play these-to me it teaches kids that it is ok to kill. Can't think of any games specificly off hand because I do have them nor will I EVER!

Ok, off my soap box now.

Cat
I like racing games such as the NASCAR Thunder games by EA Sports and also online games like Wild Tangent's BLASTERBALL 2 REMIX and Zone.com's BEJEWELED. I don't like excessively violent games though.

Written By: Chrisrj on 07/07/04 at 4:25 am

If you're thinking all video games are for young children(which I probably unfairly assumed by your usage of the word kids), I'd have to say you're wrong.  Games are more in the entertainment business now then they were back then when they were considered as only toys.  That's why they have ratings on them too, like TV shows and movies.  I would suggest paying attention to them.

But I otherwise agree that sports games are pretty stupid, especially these types.  The industry must believe that all gamers are single wild guys aged 18-25, and that we all love hardcore sports games that are so "underground". 

Besides, if I wanted to play sports(which I don't do often), I'd play them outside.  One sports game for each system should've been enough, but they have to make it a yearly series, which is why you'd see Madden 2003, 2004, 2005, etc. in any store.  Like sports have any real significance in the world.

I'm a gamer, but I don't play many games anymore, cuz many(but not all) of them are just stupid now. 

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/07/04 at 11:26 am

If you're thinking all video games are for young children(which I probably unfairly assumed by your usage of the word kids), I'd have to say you're wrong.  Games are more in the entertainment business now then they were back then when they were considered as only toys.  That's why they have ratings on them too, like TV shows and movies.  I would suggest paying attention to them.

But I otherwise agree that sports games are pretty stupid, especially these types.  The industry must believe that all gamers are single wild guys aged 18-25, and that we all love hardcore sports games that are so "underground". 

I'm a gamer, but I don't play many games anymore, cuz many(but not all) of them are just stupid now. 
I'm just waiting for a video game that allows a hockey dad to go kill a rival hockey dad in an argument over a call...hey, then he could also kill the ref! I'm on to something ::)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/07/04 at 6:11 pm

Besides, if I wanted to play sports(which I don't do often), I'd play them outside.  One sports game for each system should've been enough, but they have to make it a yearly series, which is why you'd see Madden 2003, 2004, 2005, etc. in any store.  Like sports have any real significance in the world.

Hey....sports,while they are NOT my whole existance,ARE important to me. I love NASCAR,and I will be a Philadelphia EAGLES fan till they put me underground!

Written By: philbo on 07/08/04 at 7:20 am

Speaking of ridiculous video games, there is actually a game called "Backyard Football." Why not just give your kid a @%$?ing FOOTBALL instead?!?  Crap like this makes me wonder if America is going to be conquered within the next 20 years.

Well, with modern hi-tech weapons systems, ISTM that video game expertise will really come in handy when it comes to fighting wars in the future ;)

Has anybody else tried that Police 24/7 arcade shooting game where you have to physically duck out of the way to avoid being shot?  Personally, I'd quite like to get something like that at home: makes exercise fun and quite exciting... compared to, say, jogging (which is kind of on my mind at the moment - I'm doing a mile run (for the first time since leaving school) on Saturday, and have been out running  in the mornings.  And it's reminded me how much I *HATE* running, and how much I used to hate it, even when I was young and fit.)

Written By: AL-B on 07/08/04 at 5:12 pm

Well, with modern hi-tech weapons systems, ISTM that video game expertise will really come in handy when it comes to fighting wars in the future ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if, when the military starts using remote-controlled tanks and planes, the controls are similar to those used on PlayStation or Xbox.

Written By: Thunderbird42008 on 07/14/04 at 8:29 pm

yeah ghost recon and rainbow six 3 way better than sports games. if you want to play a sport than get of ur lazy $#% and go out side and play it  ::)

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/14/04 at 9:47 pm

yeah ghost recon and rainbow six 3 way better than sports games. if you want to play a sport than get of ur lazy $#% and go out side and play it  ::)
Hey there.....playing the NASCAR videogame is about the closest I'm able to get to being a REAL race car driver....so there!

Written By: Rice in limbo on 07/14/04 at 10:49 pm

I play hockey online and on the ice in the winter.  Some people like to play as their favorite players, they're not just being lazy y'know.

Want a really good game?  Check out Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow.

Written By: Jessica on 07/14/04 at 11:35 pm

if you want to play a sport than get of ur lazy $#% and go out side and play it  ::)

I would really LOVE to, but seeing that I'm having a demon spawn in about 7 months, I don't think my body could handle it. ::)

Written By: Fred on 07/15/04 at 1:02 am

Oh come on lebeiw, sports games are only for the rainy days when you can't play sports outside.  ;)

Written By: Fred on 07/15/04 at 1:06 am

I wouldn't be surprised if, when the military starts using remote-controlled tanks and planes, the controls are similar to those used on PlayStation or Xbox.

If this happened, I would be unstopable.  ;D

Written By: Fred on 07/15/04 at 1:10 am

Hey there.....playing the NASCAR videogame is about the closest I'm able to get to being a REAL race car driver....so there!

No, the closest thing to a real race car driver, is Gran Tourismo 4. Where you buy a car you selected from a large variety of manufacturers, and tune it up using real licesensed aftermarket parts. Changing anything from gear ratios, to slick tires, et cetera.

Written By: Fred on 07/15/04 at 1:15 am

I have a friend who is incredibly good at Real-Time Strategies. He was ranked best in the world in Command and Conquer. Now if you don't believe me, I could care less, but I could see him being a future military general.

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/15/04 at 2:49 am

No, the closest thing to a real race car driver, is Gran Tourismo 4. Where you buy a car you selected from a large variety of manufacturers, and tune it up using real licesensed aftermarket parts. Changing anything from gear ratios, to slick tires, et cetera.
Fred...I'm a NASCAR fan,thank you....that's the kind of racin' I am into. So the NASCAR Thunder series (by EA Sports)fits the bill for me. Yes the game has a section where you can build your own racecar,to your specifications,and race it against NASCAR's best. And by the way...gear ratios can be changed on a NASCAR stocker,the crews do it all the time.

Written By: Wolveroses on 07/15/04 at 9:23 am

Get over it in the violence area.  It's a video game, it's just entertainment!  You're blaming a simple baseball game for violnce?  Where have you been, there's much more violent/sexual/speaking games out there.  I've seen a game on the PS2 where like every other word they swear.  I didn't care to much for, I don' like the PS2 anyways.  I only game I really like for the PS2 is Darkcloud 2.  Besides the point, I like games that become addicting and can play forever.  I got myself a Gamecube and recently an Xbox.  For the Xbox I got myself Halo, NBA Jam, and Tao Feng.  Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox is one bad ass game.  Games can be fun and enjoying without the violence though, look at Mario Golf, Mario Kart, Super Monkey Ball, Waverace, hell there's a whole bunch of NGC games. 

Hey wait, that movie is too violent, let's ban it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/15/04 at 11:14 am

Get over it in the violence area.  It's a video game, it's just entertainment!  You're blaming a simple baseball game for violnce?  Where have you been, there's much more violent/sexual/speaking games out there.  I've seen a game on the PS2 where like every other word they swear.  I didn't care to much for, I don' like the PS2 anyways.  I only game I really like for the PS2 is Darkcloud 2.  Besides the point, I like games that become addicting and can play forever.  I got myself a Gamecube and recently an Xbox.  For the Xbox I got myself Halo, NBA Jam, and Tao Feng.  Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox is one bad a** game.  Games can be fun and enjoying without the violence though, look at Mario Golf, Mario Kart, Super Monkey Ball, Waverace, hell there's a whole bunch of NGC games. 

Hey wait, that movie is too violent, let's ban it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Missed my point completely! Simply....if I had a young child and he liked sports I would be careful in what I chose...the violent crap from stuff like Mortal Combat has seeped it's way into what used to be simple and fun SPORTS games ::)

Written By: Rice in limbo on 07/15/04 at 1:33 pm

Missed my point completely! Simply....if I had a young child and he liked sports I would be careful in what I chose...the violent crap from stuff like Mortal Combat has seeped it's way into what used to be simple and fun SPORTS games ::)

But that is the point.  The parents should decide what is best for their children, not the government.  At best the government can rate the video games and then the parents can use this rating to ban the game completely from their home, or rent it and play it and see if it really is as bad as they say.  If brought up properly the kid isn't going to go beat up hookers after playing Grand Theft Auto or shooting out light bulbs after playing Splinter Cell because the parent has taught him fact from fiction.  You can't scream "BAN!" all the time, you gotta take some personal responsibility in making sure you are "banning" the right stuff.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/15/04 at 5:52 pm

But that is the point.  The parents should decide what is best for their children, not the government.  At best the government can rate the video games and then the parents can use this rating to ban the game completely from their home, or rent it and play it and see if it really is as bad as they say.  If brought up properly the kid isn't going to go beat up hookers after playing Grand Theft Auto or shooting out light bulbs after playing Splinter Cell because the parent has taught him fact from fiction.  You can't scream "BAN!" all the time, you gotta take some personal responsibility in making sure you are "banning" the right stuff.
Okay...THAT explanation I can relate to. I agree it's the parents responsibilty...I was just kinda mixing all this CRAP from todays society into the video genre. 20 years ago technology wasn't nearly where it's at today..BUT you could also let your kid ride a bicycle without having to worry about some moron on crack blowing them away....I was just generalizing.

Subject: Re: Ridiculous Video Games!

Written By: Echo Nomad on 04/10/06 at 3:55 pm

From what I remember Ghostbusters 2 was a really crappy game on the old Nes.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/10/06 at 5:26 pm

I enjoy sports games, such as basketball, race car, and hockey, and games such as GTA Vice City.

My current favorite game is Fight Night for the XBox.

Written By: whistledog on 04/10/06 at 5:28 pm

I haven't played alot of new video games, but the worst video game I ever played was "Raiders of the Lost Ark" for the Atari 2600.  It's a hard game to explain, but if you've played it before, then you know what I am talking about.

I feel sorry for those who back in 1982 bought it brand new for like $40.  Such a rip off.  I got mine at a flea market last year for $2 and I think i paid too much ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/10/06 at 5:33 pm

Worst game ever?  Hands down, E.T.  ::)  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 04/10/06 at 8:02 pm

E.T. wasn't that bad of a game.  Certainly though wasn't worth the $40 some bucks it cost when it was brand new ;D

It's the only game I can finish in less than 5 minutes ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 04/10/06 at 9:25 pm

There have been plenty of doozies and shockers over the years, though I only buy a game if it gets at least an average 8 star review. I've played this Paintball Game which was officially voted one of the worst ever; each new level was basically the same mission but the enemies moved a little faster. And the graphics were c.1994 (and this was in 2002).

Written By: speterson42069 on 05/10/06 at 1:52 pm

fudge gt 4 its the worst racing game made the maker should be shot in the dome

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/10/06 at 1:57 pm

Yeah, E.T sucked. If not E.T I would say the worst game ever is Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch:Make My Video or pretty much any game from the mid 90's "FMV" era.

Written By: HunkyDory on 05/10/06 at 5:39 pm

i think the worst game ever is.......MARIO!! i kidd i kidd but uhh....Tony Hawk Underground...2!

Written By: Bobby on 05/10/06 at 6:50 pm

Mainly boxing games and wrestling games for the X-Box (I would like to play the latest installment of 'Smackdown vs Raw  8)).

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/11/06 at 10:36 pm

Boonga Boonga.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2001/11/30/boongga_boongga_this_has/

Y'all wuz warned.

Written By: Kryllith on 05/12/06 at 9:57 am

Mainly boxing games and wrestling games for the X-Box (I would like to play the latest installment of 'Smackdown vs Raw  8)).

Sadly, I'm actually a bit tired of the newer Smackdown vs. Raw. My favorite of the games release would have been the last on before the "vs" series (Can't Stop the Pain). Why? Well because frankly I'm much more interested in the replayability offered by various storylines instead of having to play the same bloody thing over and over. I know logically it makes more sense to have everything reset when you start a new season, as the new games do, but I hate having the same people the champion every single time. Heck, it was so bad on the last game released that if you failed to win the Royal Rumble, it was labeled that you lost cause someone cheated and it was restarted with only 6 people to beat. If you failed then you got a "try again?" message, and if you said no... boom... end of season. Just plain stupid.

So, since I never get polled by the game makers (who apparently do poll people, just not me), I'm going to list what I would like to see in a future installment.

1) Put back the flexibility in story mode. Give more backstage convos leading to potential bonus matches and changes in the storyline, don't reset the stats when the year ends so that the new season plays exactly the same as the old one (if you've a title, you should start with it next time), give numerous different paths regardless of winning or losing--no stopping the season just because you don't win the Rumble or crap like that, bring back more of the random matches of the older games instead of having the same matches each season, and bring the bloody tagteam championships back into the game.

2) Make a women's story mode; I've wanted to see them do this for years. You can design women characters, give them move sets, use them in exhibition matches... why not give them a story mode? Create storylines where they can focus on wrestling other women and win the womens title, manage other players (either in offshot story modes or even in the big story lines), let them wrestle in mix-tag matches, and if they get powerful enough (which they will, given enough playing development), allow them to play in the guy's story mode and wrestle for the men's titles (like Chyna did).

Other than that, it's fairly decent. I could probably pick out some of the things I didn't care for in the dynamics... I'd definitely make some changes to the endurance meter of the last game so that affects them more while someone is knocked do in addition to standing, since people still tended to get up way faster than they should have (trying to hit someone from the top rope was ridiculous). And yes, I realize that making the story mode this flexible is hampered because of the voice acting. That said, I much prefer the flexibility to the voices...

Kryllith

Check for new replies or respond here...