inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: This has got to be the worst show ever.

Written By: lebeiw15 on 07/01/04 at 2:48 pm

It's on PBS Kids and it's called "Boobah."  I was babysitting this morning and was forced to watch a half hour of it. >:( The show seriously made me squirm and gave me a headache. :-X What is up with that show?  I think it's worse than Telletubbies, to be honest.  It's like you have to be on drugs to understand it.  I mean, five minutes were spent watching a girl fold and unfold her legs.  Over and over again.  Same thing with two boys.  One boy made an arc out of his body while the other crawled underneath, and then they switched places.  This went on for five minutes ::)  Don't get me started on anything else; I could go on and on about how bad it is.  Opinions, anyone?

Subject: Re: This has got to be the worst show ever.

Written By: hysteria on 07/01/04 at 3:10 pm

is that the program with the courloufull  things and they dance like  idiots then  they concrtulate each othe for dancing like iddiots because they are idiots fro wearing the idiotic costuem which makes look like icy things with the burble gumm inside  which is idiotic

Written By: Bobo on 07/01/04 at 3:20 pm

Created, I believe, by the same production company (Ragdoll Productions, IIRC) which does a lot of Children's Television.

Believe me, the website's even worse. I doubt you'd wish to be subjected to it, but it's basically just a bunch of swirling colours. It's in the favourites list of a children's nursery which I went to once. It scares meee..!

It's on PBS Kids and it's called "Boobah."  I was babysitting this morning and was forced to watch a half hour of it. >:( The show seriously made me squirm and gave me a headache. :-X What is up with that show?  I think it's worse than Telletubbies, to be honest.  It's like you have to be on drugs to understand it.  I mean, five minutes were spent watching a girl fold and unfold her legs.  Over and over again.  Same thing with two boys.  One boy made an arc out of his body while the other crawled underneath, and then they switched places.  This went on for five minutes ::)  Don't get me started on anything else; I could go on and on about how bad it is.  Opinions, anyone?

Written By: Paul on 07/01/04 at 3:26 pm

It's on PBS Kids and it's called "Boobah."  I was babysitting this morning and was forced to watch a half hour of it. >:( The show seriously made me squirm and gave me a headache. :-X What is up with that show?

I've heard of it, but haven't indulged in the 'pleasures'...and judging by some of the comments here, I don't think I should...

Only piece of constructive advice, lebeiw...give up babysitting...!!

I think it's worse than Telletubbies, to be honest.

I'm quite surprised how we managed to flog that to you...!

Written By: Bobby on 07/01/04 at 3:30 pm

Yes I saw it briefly in one of my breaks at work. It gave me a headache if I remember correctly . . .  ::)

Written By: lorac614 on 07/01/04 at 3:56 pm

It truly is worse then Teletubbies, but kids are drawn to it.  My daughter is hypnotized by the show, I mean she stops dead in her tracks and just stares at the screen.

To me it has absolutely no educational value at all, at least on Teletubbies they did nursery rhymes and colors. 

Written By: woops on 07/01/04 at 4:20 pm

So bad that I'd switched the channel to "Good Day Live"...  :P

IMO, the only good current kids' show is Arthur.

Written By: lebeiw15 on 07/01/04 at 4:26 pm

I seem to remember Hairspray making a few comments on this show a short time back (on the old board)...would you care to elaborate again, Hairspray? ;D

Ooh.  See, I wouldn't have brought this topic up again if I had known Hairspray had already had one.  I thought that Hairspray's was about Telletubbies.
Oops. :-[
Well, we can talk about how much we hate it all over again :D

Written By: lebeiw15 on 07/01/04 at 4:28 pm

Only piece of constructive advice, lebeiw...give up babysitting...!!

Well, thank goodness it's not every day.  Only on days the normal babysitter (a friend of mine who is a couple years older) is gone/sick/unable to work.
I don't see how she manages to watch it everyday ??? :P

I'm quite surprised how we managed to flog that to you...!

I do wish you hadn't. ;)

Written By: Bobby on 07/01/04 at 4:32 pm

Well, thank goodness it's not every day.  Only on days the normal babysitter (a friend of mine who is a couple years older) is gone/sick/unable to work.
I don't see how she manages to watch it everyday ??? :P

I do wish you hadn't. ;)

It could have been a lot worse, Lebeiw - You could have had Pob's Programme as well.  ;D

Written By: lebeiw15 on 07/01/04 at 4:36 pm

Believe me, the website's even worse. I doubt you'd wish to be subjected to it, but it's basically just a bunch of swirling colours. It's in the favourites list of a children's nursery which I went to once. It scares meee..!

Well, curiousity killed the cat.  I was stupid and visited the website.
Bad lebeiw!  Bad lebeiw!
If anyone wants to experience for themselves how bad the show is (never mind, you don't want to): http://www.boohbah.com

(I hope I don't get in trouble for giving a link to a site with drug-related content. :D)

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/01/04 at 4:56 pm

Yeah, Boobah is the equivilant to a bad acid trip.  My son is petrified of them & my daughter says it's a "stupid babies show" ::) 

Written By: AL-B on 07/01/04 at 6:44 pm

Worse than BARNEY???

Written By: Hairspray on 07/01/04 at 9:25 pm

Worse than BARNEY???

As cheesy as Barney is, at least it has true educational value ranging from elementary-level subjects to proper behaviors and socialization skills.

The answer to your question is yes, it is much, much worse than Barney and just about any and all kiddie shows ever filmed. :P

Written By: woops on 07/01/04 at 9:35 pm

What the heck is a "boohbah" any ways?

Sounds dumb.

Written By: Hairspray on 07/01/04 at 9:49 pm

I seem to remember Hairspray making a few comments on this show a short time back (on the old board)...would you care to elaborate again, Hairspray? ;D

Excellent memory, Cheer! :o :D

Why, of course I will elaborate on my opinions of this atrocious excuse for a children's show.  :P

The name alone is scary, but so are the figures, plot, scheme, colors, characters; the show's just plain ugly and scary.

The main characters are chubby mutant-baby looking' sacks of wheat bouncing around making weird noises in an atmosphere which rivals old b-movie space invaders backgrounds with every conceivable color of the spectrum thrown at you in every which way; all in a myriad of patterns that would make the worst acid trip seems like a day in the park. It's like a bad experiment perpetrated on children to possibly sabotage their minds with subliminal garbage or worse! Brainwashing and/or seizures anyone? This show is actually much worse than Teletubbies!! I may even be giving this show too much credit and attention by disliking it so intensely.

This show should be removed from the airwaves. I don't believe it's healthy to have children watch such dribble. If only enough parents/babysitters/guardians would complain. :-\\

I caught this show by accident and I've not recovered.  :-X

Written By: Gis on 07/02/04 at 3:30 am

I have only seen it once and quite frankly I find it deeply disturbing and the creatures very sinister.They scare me so lord only knows what they do to children !!

Written By: karen on 07/02/04 at 8:54 am

I'm glad I'm not the only who hates it.  It's generally on so early that I can doze through it whilst the youngest watches it.  The five year old refuses to watch such a 'stupid programme' and I try and avoid letting the two year old watch it if I'm awake enough to think about it.

I thought it was because I was half awake when I watched it that it made absolutely no sense.

Written By: sputnikcorp on 07/02/04 at 9:41 am

by far the worst childrens show i had the patience to watch. my three year old son loves them. the same production company who produced teletubbies also does the boobahs. in comparison: teletubbies beats this show by miles when it comes to educational content. at least the teletubbies taught toddlers how to count. boobahs teaches children how too....dance?

i joked about the value of the show with my friends. i said the boobahs are brainwashing our children to accept aliens when the invasion happens  ;D...... :-\\

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/02/04 at 10:18 am

Good Day Live is not the same without Jillian Barberie.  :\'(

Written By: TripsMom on 07/02/04 at 10:46 am

Yes,the Boobahs are weird BUT anything that gives me 30 minutes of silence (even if the kids are being brainwashed) is worth something. ;D
Let's not forget those of us that come from the "HR Puffenstuff" and ""Lidsville" generation. There's nothing wrong with us. :o

Written By: Bobo on 07/02/04 at 2:10 pm

I fully apologise for giving you permanent scars, lebeiw. I swear.

Bad lebeiw!  Bad lebeiw!

Written By: EmiLoca on 07/02/04 at 3:50 pm

This is definitely an odd show.  I remember one segment of it (the one where the deflatable rainbow babies aren't making flatulence sounds) where they had an old woman playing a drum, walking erratically and falling down on her face on the beach.  As we followed the old woman, she...kept...doing...that.  Um, sorry, but how does that educate children?  How does that ENTERTAIN children?  And I thought reality TV was bad. 

Written By: My name is Kenny on 07/03/04 at 10:44 am

God, please don't let Sesame Street go off the air. 

Seriously, look at the downhill trajectory of young kids' programming.  First we had the big dopey dinosaur, but at least he actually spoke complete sentences.  Then we got the reportedly gay, unspeakably creepy four foot tall multicolored moppets who could only speak a couple random words at a time.  Now we've got the walking farting gumdrops.  I think the next big kids' show will be just a constant swirl of psychedelic colors with an occasional creepy face showing up in the middle of it and screaming.  I never bought into the whole "TV makes you stupid" thing, but I'm reconsidering.

Written By: Junior on 07/03/04 at 11:37 am

"Boobah" has become an inside joke amongst a few friends of mine after one of my friends was forced to sit down and watch it with her 5-year-old sister. We made a chalkboard boobah and named it the "Guster Journalism Boobah". We also determined that boobahs are distantly related to oompa loompas. :D

Written By: Hairspray on 07/03/04 at 6:23 pm

"Boobah" has become an inside joke amongst a few friends of mine after one of my friends was forced to sit down and watch it with her 5-year-old sister. We made a chalkboard boobah and named it the "Guster Journalism Boobah". We also determined that boobahs are distantly related to oompa loompas. :D

Sounds to me like you all have too much time on your hands. ;)

Written By: PoPCultureGirl on 07/03/04 at 7:51 pm

Let's not forget those of us that come from the "HR Puffenstuff" and ""Lidsville" generation. There's nothing wrong with us. :o

Speak for yourself, TM! :D ;D  Well, I guess all those years of smoking pot had something to do with it ::) ;)

Written By: Howard on 07/04/04 at 11:22 am

God, please don't let Sesame Street go off the air.

Sesame Street will never go off the air as far as I'm concerned. ;)

Howard

Written By: Chrisrj on 07/04/04 at 3:06 pm

I agree, this looks like a pretty horrid show.  But they have a parents' information section, so I think they explain something about the show teaching about movement and stuff.  I copied part of it:

ABOUT BOOHBAH

Boohbah is an exciting new programme for children, with a format that fosters both creative thinking and creative movement. Boohbah is entirely designed to encourage physical action on the part of its young viewers. It deliberately combines infectious magical movement, for children to imitate, with inset stories for them to predict outcomes.

The design of the show - visually and otherwise, draws upon early concepts in science, maths and art and combines these with ‘televisual magic’ to create a uniquely funny television experience.

The Boohbahs, five magical atoms of power, light and fun travel in their Boohball around the world, from child to child. Fifteen countries are visited throughout the changing title sequence.

The Boohbahs represent the imaginative power and light which allows children to control the screen action by the use of the magic word “Boohbah”, and send presents into an imaginary Storyworld for the Storypeople - Grandmamma, Grandpappa, Mrs Lady, Mr Man, Brother and Sister, Auntie and Little Dog Fido to play with and make a story in partnership with them. We hear the children intervening in the screen action by the sound of their blowing and their use of the word “Boohbah”. This motivates the action and moves the story along. Only Little Dog Fido is not wholly in their control! Children are totally engaged and have a lot of fun guessing which Storyperson will appear and what will happen next.

I haven't seen the show, but I thought I'd put in a different view of it on here. 

Written By: Zella on 07/05/04 at 7:47 pm

Bad lebeiw!  Bad lebeiw!
If anyone wants to experience for themselves how bad the show is (never mind, you don't want to): http://www.boohbah.com

(I hope I don't get in trouble for giving a link to a site with drug-related content. :D)

Woo Hoo! Thanks Leb! That was like a flashback to the 60s! I want it for my screen saver! ;D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/05/04 at 8:09 pm

Woo Hoo! Thanks Leb! That was like a flashback to the 60s! I want it for my screen saver! ;D
That is SO cool!

Written By: Zimbah on 08/10/04 at 9:36 am

may i ask what is wrong with many small fluffy zits that sleep in spoons on the tv for half an hour? well i like it anyway, heeheehee

Written By: Apricot on 08/10/04 at 1:07 pm

A girl unfolding her legs over and over? Two kids crawling under each other?

And this is a kid's show?

Crazy!

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 02/08/05 at 2:50 am

Having finished school, I had a lot of time on my hands during the holiday break, so turned to children's daytime TV to keep my brain stimulated. I agree that this show is worse than teletubbies. I swear this sheesh is some sort of mind-control conspiracy to completely fry the brains out of future generations so all that it'll take ot win an election is a bright poster with primary colours and the candidates dressed up like obese condom packets.

Written By: Bobby on 02/08/05 at 5:33 am

The main characters are chubby mutant-baby looking' sacks of wheat bouncing around making weird noises in an atmosphere which rivals old b-movie space invaders backgrounds with every conceivable color of the spectrum thrown at you in every which way; all in a myriad of patterns that would make the worst acid trip seems like a day in the park. It's like a bad experiment perpetrated on children to possibly sabotage their minds with subliminal garbage or worse! Brainwashing and/or seizures anyone? This show is actually much worse than Teletubbies!! I may even be giving this show too much credit and attention by disliking it so intensely.

This show should be removed from the airwaves. I don't believe it's healthy to have children watch such dribble. If only enough parents/babysitters/guardians would complain. :-\\

I caught this show by accident and I've not recovered.  :-X

'Chubby mutant-baby looking sacks of wheat' Brilliant. LOL!  ;D

Written By: goodsin on 02/08/05 at 5:58 am

Oy, who's been feeding my computer ketamine? :D

Written By: danootaandme on 02/08/05 at 6:24 am

A girl unfolding her legs over and over? Two kids crawling under each other?

And this is a kid's show?

This is the kind of thing that is no longer allowed during Superbowl halftime, yet here it is on a
kids program....go figure!  ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 02/08/05 at 9:23 am

Having finished school, I had a lot of time on my hands during the holiday break, so turned to children's daytime TV to keep my brain stimulated. I agree that this show is worse than teletubbies. I swear this sh** is some sort of mind-control conspiracy to completely fry the brains out of future generations so all that it'll take ot win an election is a bright poster with primary colours and the candidates dressed up like obese condom packets.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!  I almost choked on my coffee ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/08/05 at 11:26 am

I have seen Boobahs at a store for sale onve, they scare the living crap out of me!!!!!!!!!  ::)  ;D

Written By: Tam on 02/08/05 at 12:10 pm

. It's like a bad experiment perpetrated on children to possibly sabotage their minds with subliminal garbage or worse! Brainwashing and/or seizures anyone?

I could be wrong but wasn't there something out a couple of years ago that claimed shows like this actually put subliminal pulses in the background? I think they were blaming pokeman and the similar Teletubbies. These pulses were what apparently drew the children's attention and held them for so long. If this is again the case - I wonder of BooBahs have put a disclaimer in small print warning about the seizures Hairspray mentions? And to add to that - my friend has epilepsy and cannot watch BooBahs because it starts to make her feel real funny - good thing she has never let her son see it. He prefers The Wiggles anyway!
Back in the day I remember being glued to the TV anytime Astro Boy came on! I wonder if that was the first stab at subliminal pulses?

Tam

Written By: AL-B on 02/08/05 at 12:17 pm

I swear this sh** is some sort of mind-control conspiracy to completely fry the brains out of future generations so all that it'll take ot win an election is a bright poster with primary colours and the candidates dressed up like obese condom packets.
What do you mean "future generations?" What you just said here pretty much sums up how the American political landscape has been over the last 25 years.  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: AL-B on 02/08/05 at 1:39 pm

OK, I just took a break from my computer and turned on my TV and went farming through the channels, and I just happened to land on this "Boobah" show. I watched it for about 5 minutes and that's about all I could take. What's the point of this show? I read the "About Boobah" section on an earlier post and all I can say is that they're full of crap. This show seems like nothing more than a mindless babysitter for small kids.
  When I was at the target age for "Boobah," I loved to watch "Sesame Street." Not to brag, but my parents tell me I was starting to read when I was 2 and if this is the case, I give full credit to watching "Sesame Street." Had "Boobah" been on instead, who knows?
  Finally, next time you watch this show, remember that there are grown men and women inside of those Boobah suits. Can you imagine doing that as your job? Every day you go in and punch a clock at 7:30 AM, have a cup of coffee, read the morning paper, and then at 7:45 a whistle blows and you have to strap on your Boobah suit and then proceed to stand up and sit down and wiggle around and roll your eyes back and forth like an idiot for the next 8-to-10 hours? (You get lunch breaks, of course.)
  This show gets even worse when you start thinking about what goes on behind the scenes, that there's actually a grown man or woman who is behind the camera directing this, that there are actually people whose job it is to write SCRIPTS for this, and that there are people who went to computer programming school for years in hopes of getting a job with Microsoft or Electronic Arts but instead got stuck making CGI images of clouds and rainbows and crap like that, day in and day out. I'm certain that this company has mandatory drug testing. If you test clean, you don't get the job.

Written By: Mona on 02/08/05 at 2:16 pm

Yes,the Boobahs are weird BUT anything that gives me 30 minutes of silence (even if the kids are being brainwashed) is worth something. ;D

I loved those shows  and you're right, there's nothing the matter with me, the matter with me, the matter with me.    :D

Written By: Alchoholica on 03/07/05 at 7:55 am

I just went on the website and it was like AAAAARRGGGHHHH  flasbacks. A kind of camp version of Frank Bruno was catching apples, he was like L.L Bean for the other side.

I have soo gotta watch this show wasted, it might just push me over the egde  ;D

I can only compare it the Teletubbies on Speed.

Written By: Kyle on 03/13/05 at 1:44 pm

IMO, the only good current kids' show is Arthur.

Wrong, wrong wrong!!! ;D  There are many other good shows for kids PBS, if you actually sit down and watch some of these shows.  Some of them are pretty darn good, such as Cyberchase.  One of the more decent shows, it teaches kids math skills (especially in the 3rd-8th grade, which peaks about 6th grade) in a informative, but entertaining fashion.  Hacker might be a little, well, cheesy  :D, but Buzz and Delete really git tha' show going, yo!  ;) Mister Rodger is good when he was alive, Sesame Street, Reading Rainbow,even Barney is not that bad.  It teaches kids stuff that you learn in preschool-2nd grade.  So, I confess, PBS is not that bad if you actually sit down and watch some these kool shows for perferably elementary students.  But anybody could watch these shows, and tell me if you get bored.
;) :)

Written By: Satish on 03/13/05 at 7:55 pm

Come on, you people are being too hard on this show. It's not meant for you, it's meant for little toddlers who don't even know how to walk or talk yet. If you were a kid 2 or under, and you didn't even know how to talk, shows like this and Teletubbies are really the only thing you CAN watch. Even a show like Sesame Street is aimed more at kids 3 and up.

Check for new replies or respond here...