inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Worst lists of all time

Written By: Chrisrj on 07/11/04 at 9:07 pm

We've all seen them, or at least heard about them.  TV channels and magazines making up lists of what they consider the most ______(adj) ______(noun) of ______(time era).  Some of them are OK, but many have ended up confusing and upsetting.

Here's my list of the worst lists or countdowns of all time:

*50 greatest cartoon characters of all time (TV Guide, 2003)
They did have Bugs Bunny as the #1 greatest toon of all time, but they had Angelica Pickles in the top 10, while Tom & Jerry was at #50.  Plus, some characters who weren't that well known by many(especially Gerald McBoing-Boing).  That alone, plus the fact that more of the newer toons were closer to the top than the older classics, puts it on my personal list.

*When good artists make bad videos (MTV, 2000)
I can definitely understand Robbie Williams' "Rock DJ" being on the list(even though it was low), but IMO Jewel's "Hands" never should have made the list, as I didn' see anything wrong with it, no matter how hard I try.  Also included were Stone Temple Pilots' "Sour Girl" and Mariah Carey's "Butterfly" at #1.  Mistreating animals is very bad I know, but they really should've remembered "Crybaby".

*200 greatest pop icons ever (VH1, 2003)
OK, youre sitting, watching the whole thing go by for hours upon hours, then, when you finally find out who or what makes #1, you feel like you've just wasted countless hours of your life.  Oprah Winfrey, the #1 pop icon of all time??  COME ON!!!  Plus, they forgot a few I think should've been mentioned... IMO, I would've liked seeing video game icons on there like Pac-Man or Mario.  And also, they should've put the Kennedy family into one spot, and made room for 2 more.  I mean, they did it for Friends and the Simpsons.

And my personal vote for worst ever:

*50 most awesomely bad songs ever (VH1, 2004)
All the songs that just a few random critics from an unpopular magazine decided to put on the list, not only choosing excellent songs(Everybody Have Fun Tonight at #3?!), but ignoring other truly awful songs(Who Let the Dogs Out was IMHO terrible, even for a novelty song, yet that was never listed on there). 

I'm sure some of you agree or disagree with what i said, so feel free to share your own opinions :)

Subject: Re: Worst lists of all time

Written By: lebeiw15 on 07/11/04 at 9:14 pm

Actually.. I agree with you.  I never noticed the MTV one, and I didn't pay too much attention to the TV Guide one, but I do agree with the others.  The Pop Culture Icons absoultely sucked.  Oprah should not have been the #1!!  Elton John and others should have been higher.. plus, i hated the people making commentary (Britney Spears, Kelly Osbourne, et cetera). 

I always enjoy watching VH1's countdowns, I really do.  They're some kind of addiction to me.  And I liked watching the 50 Worst Songs Countdown, but the choices were horrible.  Sure, "We Built This City" is a horrible song, but aren't there worse

Written By: Jessica on 07/11/04 at 9:50 pm

*200 greatest pop icons ever (VH1, 2003)
OK, youre sitting, watching the whole thing go by for hours upon hours, then, when you finally find out who or what makes #1, you feel like you've just wasted countless hours of your life.  Oprah Winfrey, the #1 pop icon of all time??  COME ON!!!  Plus, they forgot a few I think should've been mentioned... IMO, I would've liked seeing video game icons on there like Pac-Man or Mario.  And also, they should've put the Kennedy family into one spot, and made room for 2 more.  I mean, they did it for Friends and the Simpsons.

And my personal vote for worst ever:

*50 most awesomely bad songs ever (VH1, 2004)
All the songs that just a few random critics from an unpopular magazine decided to put on the list, not only choosing excellent songs(Everybody Have Fun Tonight at #3?!), but ignoring other truly awful songs(Who Let the Dogs Out was IMHO terrible, even for a novelty song, yet that was never listed on there). 

I'm sure some of you agree or disagree with what i said, so feel free to share your own opinions :)

Oh lord...I was about ten seconds away from launching something at the television when I saw the Icons program. They did an awful job, especially when they ranked BOB MARLEY as number 173 (?)! And Oprah at number one? Come on! And that song list....ugh, don't even get me started. :P

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/12/04 at 7:51 am

My problem with most "List Shows", especially on VH-1, is the hosts that they select for it.

They had one list (I forget what the list was) where the hosts were Lauren Graham and Kyra Sedgewick.

What the heck did they have to do with Rock 'n' Roll ? ???  Sounds like somebody at VH1 owed their agents a favor.

Written By: EmiLoca on 07/13/04 at 12:45 am

The 200 Greatest Pop Culture Icons was a bit of a disappointment.  Oprah?  OPRAH?!?  If I didn't know who she was until fifth grade, she couldn't have been that influential. 

Another one I threw a slight tantrum over was the recent "100 Years; 100 Songs". "Lose Yourself" beat "Footloose".  *shakes head*

Written By: woops on 07/22/04 at 12:42 am

I agree with all those lists... Especially from VH1  :P

Not to forget MTV 25 Greatest "Video Stars" which is mostly artists from the '90's & the present like Britney, Eminem, Puff Daddy, and N' Sync.  :P  And omitted many '80's greats like Duran Duran & Van Halen that actually shaped the channel back when MTV actually played videos.  >:(

Written By: goodsin on 07/24/04 at 8:49 am

In the UK we get the same plague of badly-compiled lists introduced by inappropriate celebrities, often with 3rd-rate "celebs" commenting on the content as it goes along. We get these on terrestrial TV as well as the US-produced Cable/Satellite channels. I think personally, having viewed some of them on MTV, VH1 etc, that they are just a way of the relevant TV company fulfilling its' obligations to the artists to play their songs, or publicise that person, a certain amount of times. This is the only way I can quantify why the content of such programmes bears no relation to fact...didn't see the one featuring Oprah, but I can imagine that she was't one of the most influential "pop" icons ever...She's a talkshow host fer heaven's sake! :D

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/24/04 at 9:22 am

Most lists by VH-1 and Rolling Stone SUCK :P

Written By: zcrito on 07/24/04 at 12:06 pm

Oprah.  >:(

I don't care for her and I never watch her talk show, but you'd be surprised by the number of people who just admire and adore her. Especially among women, young and old, black and white.

I also heard on a news report last week that Oprah is also very popular now among Iraqi women who have satellite television! Iraqi women like the colorful sets --western television shows probably look better than anything ever produced in that area-- and the way she always talks about family problems.

Oprah.  >:(

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/24/04 at 3:04 pm

At a feeble attempt at David Letterman humor, I present the Top Ten Worst Top Ten Lists ever, from the head office in Amo, Indiana. ;D

10. Top Ten Farts of D!ck Cheney

9. Top Ten Eligible Bachelor Terrorists

8.  Top Ten Movies Viewed in the Back of a Yugo.

7. Top Ten Complaints in a Steakhouse About How the Meat was Cooked.

6. Top Ten Condoleeza Rice Photo Shoots.

5. Top Ten Baked Bean Recipes of John Kerry.

4. Top Ten Cross-Dressers Who Posed Nude for Playboy.

3. Top Ten People You Wouldn't Want To See Naked in the Kitchen.

2.  Top Ten Car Crashes on the Santa Monica Freeway.

And the number 1 Top Ten Worst Top Ten Lists

1. Top Ten Videos with Donald Rumsfeld Actually Smiling. ;)

Note: none of these lists actually exist.

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/24/04 at 6:11 pm

At a feeble attempt at David Letterman humor, I present the Top Ten Worst Top Ten Lists ever, from the head office in Amo, Indiana. ;D

10. Top Ten Farts of D!ck Cheney

9. Top Ten Eligible Bachelor Terrorists

8.  Top Ten Movies Viewed in the Back of a Yugo.

7. Top Ten Complaints in a Steakhouse About How the Meat was Cooked.

6. Top Ten Condoleeza Rice Photo Shoots.

5. Top Ten Baked Bean Recipes of John Kerry.

4. Top Ten Cross-Dressers Who Posed Nude for Playboy.

3. Top Ten People You Wouldn't Want To See Naked in the Kitchen.

2.  Top Ten Car Crashes on the Santa Monica Freeway.

And the number 1 Top Ten Worst Top Ten Lists

1. Top Ten Videos with Donald Rumsfeld Actually Smiling. ;)

Note: none of these lists actually exist.

Nice one Indy! Thanks for the inspiration...here's mine  ::)

1O. Top Ten Diva's...."Guys" included...thanks, VH1 ::)

9.  Top Ten McDonald's Lawsuits

8.  Top Ten Meanest Former members of the board (I don't think there was THAT many!)

7.  Top Ten Infomercials

6.  Top Ten things Rosie hates

5.  Top Ten guys Madonna has "Had"

4.  Top Ten Top Ten lists

3.  Top Ten reasons to free Martha Stewart

2.  Top Ten murder tips from O.J.

1.  Top Ten weight loss and I.Q. test tips by Michael Moore

Written By: Indy Gent on 07/24/04 at 7:03 pm

Very funny, especially the top 6.  ;D

Nice one Indy! Thanks for the inspiration...here's mine  ::)

1O. Top Ten Diva's...."Guys" included...thanks, VH1 ::)

9.  Top Ten McDonald's Lawsuits

8.  Top Ten Meanest Former members of the board (I don't think there was THAT many!)

7.  Top Ten Infomercials

6.  Top Ten things Rosie hates

5.  Top Ten guys Madonna has "Had"

4.  Top Ten Top Ten lists

3.  Top Ten reasons to free Martha Stewart

2.  Top Ten murder tips from O.J.

1.  Top Ten weight loss and I.Q. test tips by Michael Moore

Written By: RockandRollFan on 07/25/04 at 11:11 pm

Very funny, especially the top 6.  ;D

Thanks Indy Gent...I thought you might like it!

Written By: Mek on 09/08/05 at 2:29 am

Everything from VH1  ::)

How about the top 50 once great networks that went downhill with MTV #1  :D

Written By: whistledog on 09/08/05 at 2:45 am

FHM UK Magazine recently voted the top 10 Sexiest Music Videos of all time.  A few of them do belong in this list (Eric Prydz, Benny Benassi, and Narcotic Thrust) and some do not (Toxic.. really??).  They left out one really important one and if you've seen it before, you now what i mean ... Stupidisco by Junior Jack (Women in bikini's wrestling in a ring?  How does that not make the top 10)

1. Christina Aguilera -Dirrty
2. Eric Prydz - Call On Me
3. Benny Benassi - Satisfaction
4. NERD - Lapdance
5. tATu - All the Things She Said
6. Madonna - Justify My Love
7. Kylie Minogue - Spinning Around
8. Mariah Carey - Heartbreaker
9. Britney Spears - Toxic
10. Narcotic Thrust - I Like It

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/08/05 at 9:02 am

And here's mine.....  ;D

10.  Top 10 Favorite Snack Foods of Michael Moore
9.  Top 10 Things George W. Bush does before going to bed.
8.  Top 10 reasons why not to make a Top 10 list.
7.  Top 10 things that didn't make V-H1's Top 10 list.
6.  Top 10 reasons why Kathy Griffin shouldn't be a commentator on any more Top 10 list shows.
5.  Top 10 reasons why Milli Vanilli should have been allowed to keep their Grammy.
4.  Top 10 reasons why you shouldn't put a fork into a toaster.
3.  Top 10 reasons why Cool As Ice is the best film ever.
2.  Top 10 reasons why Carrot Top is the best actor ever.

and finally number one.......

1.  Top 10 reasons why Jar Jar Binks should get an Oscar.

As for the worst actual lists, probally anything done by VH-1.  ::)

Written By: Indy Gent on 09/08/05 at 12:32 pm

What happened to "Rio" or "Girls on Film" but Duran Duran. I thought these were the Sexiest Videos of all time. I've only heard of have of these, and only seen snipets of "Dirrty" and "Justify My Love". Does FHM UK think that only men younger than 30 read their filthy magazine? 
FHM UK Magazine recently voted the top 10 Sexiest Music Videos of all time.  A few of them do belong in this list (Eric Prydz, Benny Benassi, and Narcotic Thrust) and some do not (Toxic.. really??).  They left out one really important one and if you've seen it before, you now what i mean ... Stupidisco by Junior Jack (Women in bikini's wrestling in a ring?  How does that not make the top 10)

4. NERD - Lapdance

Written By: Criz on 09/08/05 at 2:39 pm

4. NERD - Lapdance

I can see why most of them are in the top 10 to b hoest. But I hate the Benny Benassi video - it's terrible!

Obviously Kylie's gold hotpants are gonna be in there, and Christina doing 'her 'dirrty' thing but why Mariah? I think she looks SO awful in that vid, her body does not look good in that little pink top n those tight jeans she wears. It's as if her boobs are gonna fall out of that top! Oh, ok...yeah, I can now see why it's in the list ... :-X

Written By: woops on 09/08/05 at 5:22 pm

4. NERD - Lapdance

Ditto, the only sexy video on the list is from Kylie Minogue

Agree with Indy Gent about the omissions of "Rio" & "Girls On Film" from Duran Duran

Also the classic "Cherry Pie" video from Warrant

"What You Want" from Deborah Gibson, though wasn't a hit, but is better than the 9 videos FHM listed, and several I probably have never  seen or heard of

Written By: Powerslave on 09/08/05 at 5:53 pm

That Sexy Video list is pretty crap. Why is "Justify My Love" there, but "Erotica" isn't? And "Girls, Girls, Girls" by Motley Crue? C'mon, it's a song about strippers!

Check for new replies or respond here...